Disgruntled at the Freezer 7 Pro, so need a replacement

ToastMaster

Limp Gawd
Hi all.

So when I was working on getting my system together, I went ahead and removed the pre-applied thermal compound off the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. However, after it took awhile to remove it all, I realized what the problem was: the base is hardly polished at all. I'd say about 2/3rds of the entire base has a generally rough surface, and any time I tried to use fine Kleenex or tissue of any kind to clean off the compound and such, it would shred the tissue as well as causing the tissue to leave behind small traces. This was whether or not the tissue was dry or wet with rubbing alcohol, and everytime I'd wipe off the base with a tissue, the only way to clear it of any type of tissue strands, would be to blow on it.

I figured I had gotten it cleaned enough, went to put AS5 on the C2D, and as I put a small dab on the processor, a clearish liquid came out along with the AS5. The best I can imagine, the previous place I lived a few months back, I likely had left it on the counter after having applied some, and somebody probably got the counter wet/cleaned it off, and water got into the tube.

Anyway, I'm going to go to Fry's Electronics tomorrow to pick up a new tube of AS5, and I figure I'll pick up a new heatsink as well. Do any of you have suggestions as to what heatsinks at Fry's might be best? I'd prefer one that is relatively lighter in weight, so I was looking currently at getting the Coolermaster Hyper L3.

AS5 will seperate after sitting in the tube. Store it with the plunger up so the "thin" stuff forms in the upper part of the tube. Just squeez it out till you get to the "good" stuff.

Just lap the heatsink, costs about $3.00 for sandpaper and an hour of your time. Google "heatsink lapping guide" you can easily make the bottom of that heatsink look like a mirror and you should do it even if you go buy a new heatsink. ( I mean lap the new one if you get one)

I'm not sure why you wanted to remove the thermal paste that comes pre-applied to the Freeze 7. Reading their website and other reviews, AC's thermal paste seems to work the best with their product.

When cleaning off thermal paste you should be using a lint free cloth, not kleenex.

The stuff that come pre-applied to Arctic Cooling sinks is just as good or better than AS5 in independent testing. You just wasted time by removing it..

Back