Discussion about the future of the [H] DC team

I just started folding again on my desktop boxes now that the air conditioning season is over in northern OH. I was a long time member of the maximumpc team going back over 10 years. I joined this team now that the maxpc forum has closed down. I was thinking there would be more chatter about the folding team but this thread seems to be the only action. I visit this site every day to read and lurk.

I stayed around the top 25 on the maxpc team and it looks like I will be in the top 20 here..

I just started folding again on my desktop boxes now that the air conditioning season is over in northern OH. I was a long time member of the maximumpc team going back over 10 years. I joined this team now that the maxpc forum has closed down. I was thinking there would be more chatter about the folding team but this thread seems to be the only action. I visit this site every day to read and lurk.

I stayed around the top 25 on the maxpc team and it looks like I will be in the top 20 here..

phred15, glad to have you on board. You will see that our Folding posts are slowly returning as we have had a bit of restructuring year. We have recently stimulated discussion on the future team standing which has brought many out of stasis. Stick around, give your thoughts, and give it your [H]ardest.

Actually I should say it how I see it and that is what I did say and do say. You can see it the way you see it and I will accept that you see it that way. I can see it the way I see it and will continue to see it my way. :D

I hope the team continues and would support whatever is decided by the majority for moving forward. It is most likely I will continue running BOINC only (multiple projects) for the foreseeable future, though. I just prefer the BOINC methodology over F@H and have already invested lots of time in BOINC. I hope there is still room for me on the team in the long run, should it be decided to focus on F@H.

I used to do it on every machine I had. I couldn't do a lot of GPU stuff, though, so I fell way behind. Eventually, it wasn't even on my must-install list. I want to get back into it, but I don't think I'd gain many points as I'd mostly be using CPU and very little GPU....

I loved doing it, though.

we've always had room for anyone doing any project, thats why the subforum is DC not FAH or BOINC or whatever, and even if there is a main team focus I'm sure it'll be atleast 2 projects, not to mention all the side projects people do because of what impacts their own lives. It's not so much that you give to the team it's that you just give. After that point then we can rag on eachother and what not. Most people are pretty heavy into one of a few projects anyways, we'll never just have one allowed DC project. I do FAH because I think it matters and it's easy and I've been doing it for years now. But when I started I was doing Seti stuff and only FAH on a athlon 4200 lol, there's room for everything here, we may promote a few projects above the rest but i don't think anyone will ever get turned away for giving back

plus i think I missed the biggest piss off moment from FAH while I was in afghanistan, luckily for me I sold my 4P and both my SR2's before I left, but from what I read there was a bit more then just canning the BA projects lol, so to me they never did me too wrong (not counting the whole EVGA and Nvidia centric scoring system with EVGA bucks, but i digress lol :) )

Exactly, we aren't saying you can't DC anywhere else. However, there are some people on our team that have made it clear that they won't DC unless there is a focus of team resources. Some claim that they aren't happy with being awesome in many projects unless we are dominating them. We just can't do that with current contributions. I agree that you should pick something your heart is in. However, the necessity of making things official is to get the others on board with the program. We already have people calling the BOINC'ers scattered and unfocused. Which really isn't fair or accurate. People are focused on their interests and some of us have them outside of a single project.

My main objective with the current agenda is to get us back to a unified team and to get the stagnated DC'ers back to action. I personally don't care which project they choose. Just that they choose something. As Valuter98c said, most of us will still DC where we want. Current actions, pokes, prods, and requests have stimulated multiple people to come forward thus far. Many have been absent in the DC forums for a while. Looking at the numbers, those starting FAH back up have really brought our numbers up. And while doing so haven't really affected our numbers with BOINC projects. A few non-FAH non-BOINC projects have dropped, but that is because we had not had much presence in those for a while anyways. This tells me that the stagnated DC'ers are indeed beginning to contribute again as well as active DC'ers firing up cold/new hardware as temps continue to decline.

Things are beginning to look a bit more positive. :)

The main issue for me and any DC project is time and money.I have not folded in a few years now, because they hardware was changing every 6 months.

I have read some here talk about the -bigadv and i was in the ground floor of that.
I even was on the Beta Team for PG group for almost a year.

You spend 1000's of dollars on hardware and then several months down the road, it gets lets ppd then something 1/2 the price.
Don't get me wrong, the points don't really mean anything, only to us in the community, but it is nice to have some reward for the effort.

My first Test rig was a 4x ATI rig and had beta drivers from PG/ATI and never got the same points as 1x Nvidia card.
Even after 5 months of testing, i could not get it working for them correctly and had to many bugs.

Then, I was running DP Xeons and had some of the first 8 core, then 16 core beta -smp units. PPD was good, but the deadlines made me keep upgrading at a pace that was unsustainable in the long term.

Code:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=EvilAlchemist&t=33
Code:
SETI@home member since	30 Nov 2001 
Name	EvilAlchemist
Computing and credit
Total credit	8,829
Recent average credit	0.09
SETI@home classic workunits	2,357
SETI@home classic CPU time	15,887 hours

I am game for anything that works similarly to what we had with F@H., If that means keeping with F@H despite the issues, then so be it. If it means going WCG or GPUGrid I am game as well for those. My first choice is F@H. Just my $0.02.

Just a note about what this thread started out about the DCer of the month. I am assuming that we no longer have that award which is fine for now. But I do believe we should at least have a DCer of the year. It is something we may want to think about.

Just a note about what this thread started out about the DCer of the month. I am assuming that we no longer have that award which is fine for now. But I do believe we should at least have a DCer of the year. It is something we may want to think about.

Well, in that case, I vote for you.
You've been very supportive towards others, had great input on projects, and have always been helpful since I've seen you on here.

Not to mention all of the systems you have been running this whole time.
Cheers! :cool:

Well, in that case, I vote for you.
You've been very supportive towards others, had great input on projects, and have always been helpful since I've seen you on here.

Not to mention all of the systems you have been running this whole time.
Cheers! :cool:

Grandpa_01 no longer qualifies as he has already won one of the awards. HDCOTY recipients are not eligible for future HDCOTM/Y recognition.

Nope I do not qualify, but there are many others who do, and I believe those that do qualify should be recognized. ;)

I'll be happy as long as I can nominate Eagle07/Patriot every quarter just to have them lose :D

I recognize that the forum has not been as busy as in the past. And in the summer we slow down as the weather is nice and people are busy with other stuff. But I don't understand how this team is unable to nominate and recognize the great work that is being done around here. 12 people a year could be the DC'er of the Month. We have plenty of awesome people doing amazing things for distributed computing! We just need to bring attention to those worthy people!

I recognize that the forum has not been as busy as in the past. And in the summer we slow down as the weather is nice and people are busy with other stuff. But I don't understand how this team is unable to nominate and recognize the great work that is being done around here. 12 people a year could be the DC'er of the Month. We have plenty of awesome people doing amazing things for distributed computing! We just need to bring attention to those worthy people!

I agree +1

Hello fellow folders.

While i realize this forum is not very active i think our community is still very active. while i myself have not broken any records nor do i have 2p or 4p systems i still dream of the day when i might win Hard Folder of the month!

It wasn't that long ago that we were working together to beat the default team, even getting help from other folding teams along the way.

So we may have slipped a bit in the ranking recently but does that really matter as long as we keep working at it together? I can't fold during the summer but i am turning things back on as its getting cold out again. who knows maybe i can convince the wife that we both NEED those GTX 960's and my ppd will jump big time!

I hope we can keep the monthly or at least yearly awards going and stop bickering about small stuff. who cares if some people want to split their work with other project... its all for a good cause in the end.

Hello fellow folders.

While i realize this forum is not very active i think our community is still very active. while i myself have not broken any records nor do i have 2p or 4p systems i still dream of the day when i might win Hard Folder of the month!

It wasn't that long ago that we were working together to beat the default team, even getting help from other folding teams along the way.

So we may have slipped a bit in the ranking recently but does that really matter as long as we keep working at it together? I can't fold during the summer but i am turning things back on as its getting cold out again. who knows maybe i can convince the wife that we both NEED those GTX 960's and my ppd will jump big time!

I hope we can keep the monthly or at least yearly awards going and stop bickering about small stuff. who cares if some people want to split their work with other project... its all for a good cause in the end.

Perfect reply. Pssst : for the wife, ya a 960 would be good but YOU need a 970 ;)

Recently built an "overkill" boxen and was thinking on contributing to folding, my friend suggested team 33 but it seems folding in general has died down? Maybe people rather mine bitcoin...

Recently built an "overkill" boxen and was thinking on contributing to folding, my friend suggested team 33 but it seems folding in general has died down? Maybe people rather mine bitcoin...

Folding production for Team 33 has picked up quite a bit as of late and you are more than welcome to join in on the fun, so fire up that overkill boxen and let's see what ya got. :cool:

So what is the status of all this. I haven't logged in since 2012. I used to be super active, and I'd like to see the [H]orde back in it's glory days. Any consensus here?

A poll was never made. However, with the awakening of many stagnant DC'ers the direction as been mostly on auto pilot. Both FAH and WCG/BOINC sides have increased production. We still have members that will not return to FAH due to PG's historical behavior. The general consensus though has been to focus on bio/medical and the 3 projects most discussed were: FAH, WCG, and GPUGrid.

FAH remains the only "official" project per Kyle as the topic has not been brought back up to him to weigh in.

I want to Nominate Team Grandma as the [H]ard|DCer of the month for November :)

So what is the status of all this. I haven't logged in since 2012. I used to be super active, and I'd like to see the [H]orde back in it's glory days. Any consensus here?

After participating in other various projects I've went back to the dark side and started folding again. My primary interest is medical research and the projects that Stanford are doing fall the closest to my interests for now.

On a side note, some interesting FAH stats:

Around the time this thread started back in August, that month's production was 270,750,248 points. Last month (November) Team 33 scored 779,652,456 points.

Is this comeback going to continue? I sure hope so.

Team 33 scored 779,652,456 points.

Is this comeback going to continue? I sure hope so.

Man, wouldn't that be awesome, I missed the constant threat of burning my house down, but it was worth it, and so much fun.

Yeah..our GPUGrid crowd tends to bounce back and forth between a few projects including FAH.

Hmpf, well if I am going to get 'smoked' then it will be with everything running! :p Should have everything running and tweaked within a couple days, though it will take longer for the points to show and settle.

currently i am Doing WCG + GPUGrid ... i have F@H installed ... but i am jaded there
and i will fold, rather than let the the hardware sit idle for lack of WUs from GPUGrid

and to my Arch-Rival Nathon_P
UR Lucky i left F@H ... u was going to get such a beating
and Grandpa_01 ... and you dragged me into all this S**T?
:p
Hello

I was wondering where you had got to, since you are over at WCG & GPU grid I shall just continue to cruise with 60% of my hardware off

I'll miss the challenge but understand ur reasons for leaving F@H

DC/Fold on!

I think he was scared to lose.

Just my $.02 though. :D

Wait. Why is 60% of your hardware off? What is it?

Wait. Why is 60% of your hardware off? What is it?

2 rigs, each containing a pair of spicy E5 v2 12c/24t cpu's that turbo up to 2.4 and my Z9PE isn't folding on its pair of 2670 v1's - I only have one installed driving a 970 & 960.

its mainly down to a cost issue at the moment - funds are tight so the pair of gpu's give better bang for buck, I also need to install v7 on both of them to get SMP WU and I just can't be arsed at the moment

Back