Disappointed...

threedd97

Limp Gawd
My eVGA 7800GT came clocked at 470/1100. I pushed for 480/1150 and it's fine. Any thing higher on the core and it won't accept it. What is the deal? I see all these people hitting 500 on the core with stock coolers. I'm idling at 40c right now.

mine don't go past 480 either, although i don't think it's too common to go over 500. you can do a bios volt mod to get 20 or so more mhz out. people who get over 500 are just really lucky.

I dont really see the point in OCing a video card... you really dont get any kind of substantial performance increase (unless of course its an insane OC) to justify possibly damaging your card. I generally look at OCing of the video card as a little more "dangerous" then CPU.

Tengis said:
I dont really see the point in OCing a video card... you really dont get any kind of substantial performance increase (unless of course its an insane OC) to justify possibly damaging your card. I generally look at OCing of the video card as a little more "dangerous" then CPU.

I view it as just the opposit. With a GPU, your raising a slider bar in your drivers, and then testing for stability. With a CPU you have to deal with fsb, multi's, voltage, memory timings and dividors and such... ect. More chances to set something incorrectly and screw things up.

Viper87227 said:
I view it as just the opposit. With a GPU, your raising a slider bar in your drivers, and then testing for stability. With a CPU you have to deal with fsb, multi's, voltage, memory timings and dividors and such... ect. More chances to set something incorrectly and screw things up.

While technically there is more of a chance of screwing things up all of the options you can mess with make a CPU overclock seem alot more safe to me... taking the slider and clicking something to check for artifacts isnt exactly my idea of a safe overclock, it seems very... err... lacking?

At least there is a warranty for overclocking the GPU, at least with EVGA. Downtime is never a good thing, but at least your not out $330.

DonMega2k said:
At least there is a warranty for overclocking the GPU, at least with EVGA. Downtime is never a good thing, but at least your not out $330.

Thats true... I geuss technically you could say its safer to OC a gpu then, haha.

Tengis said:

From the stock 400 MHz to 470 is pretty high by itself... and the stock speeds of the memory from 1.0 GHz to 1.10 is pretty nice too. These are just the factory overclocked settings. A small bump to 500/1.2 seems to go pretty distant from it's original speeds.

Back