Disabling APU to run GPU

MuscleNerd

Limp Gawd
Alright guys, I purchased an A8 7600 a few weeks ago and have been running the integrated R7 graphics that it comes with since then.

Today I got my new card in the mail R9 270. So being extremely excited I rushed inside, opened the box, and installed the GPU in my system.

Plugged in the SIX pin connector, snapped it into place, screwed it down, and plugged in my HDMI.

On initial boot it wouldn't display, so I unplugged the HDMI and plugged it into the integrated graphics and it displayed off of that.

So at this point the PC is booted and running off the integrated graphics, I shut it down and entered BIOS changed video settings to PEG and plugged HDMI into the R9 270 and it booted, hurray!

But, when I went to play a game, my performance was way worse. On the APU I would average 40fps with around a high of 50 and a low of 30. With the R9 270 I was hitting high of 30 and low of 8.

Something is off and I'm not sure what I have to do, any advice ?

Specs:

LENOVO H50 Mobo
A8 7600 integrated R7
16gb ddr3 1600 ram
600w PSU
1tb HDD
Dual x Sapphire R9 270

Make sure to do a clean driver install, could very well make a difference

^ Do a clean driver installation as rgMakanic suggested. Also, you may as well just reset the BIOS to be certain it's not got something set which is problematic.

Alright, I have to head into work in 20 minutes, so I will do it when I get off.

to do a clean driver installation, do I remove or delete ll current drivers and then reinstall?

When I plugged in the gpu for the first time and tried to update/install drivers it said they were up to date.

Last edited:
Alight I have three options on DDU:

1.Clean and Restart
2.Clean and do NOT restart
3.Clean and shutdown

Went a head and watched a tutorial video.

Clicked boot into safe made and now nothing. It won't display on the GPU or the APU .

I didn't delete anything just booted into safe mode, I've been staring at a " no signal" screen.

And yes PC is running

Went a head and watched a tutorial video.

Clicked boot into safe made and now nothing. It won't display on the GPU or the APU .

I didn't delete anything just booted into safe mode, I've been staring at a " no signal" screen.

And yes PC is running

Did you re-enable the onboard graphics?

From BIOS ? No I didn't , shouldn't the GPU work in safe mode or no?
the answer to that is "sometimes" heh, when dealing with embedded and discrete graphics at the same time it can get a bit tricky.

Even if you didn't disable it try plugging into the onboard output and see if you get safemode

the answer to that is "sometimes" heh, when dealing with embedded and discrete graphics at the same time it can get a bit tricky.

Even if you didn't disable it try plugging into the onboard output and see if you get safemode

When I said it won't display on the GPU or APU I ment no matter what I plug my HDMI cable into (GPU or integrated ) it does nothing

When I said it won't display on the GPU or APU I ment no matter what I plug my HDMI cable into (GPU or integrated ) it does nothing

I totally missed that heh, try re-enabling onboard and then going to safemode, if no go then, I'd say just skip DDU, do a standard uninstall and reinstall of the drivers from within windows, I know you should get a performance increase since the APU drivers are a bit different from the standard radeons

I'm getting pretty annoyed at this point.

Force shut down the pc, reset it and nothing on either still. Can't even get a display into BIOS or windows.

Update: after turning video mode in BIOS to PEG I can no longer enter BIOS on either my GPU or APU . I can however boot into Windows

Update #2: cleared CMOS (well tried, but it didn't reset my bios) BUTTT, I was able to enter bios while being connected to my APU after "clearing CMOS"

Reset Video to AUTO

Update #3: ran ddu and it booted into safe mode while plugged into the integrated plug.

Last edited:
This is what DDU is displaying.

As you can see both APU and GPU are displayed here.

Untitled.png

Looks good, it will show both as you have both installed, clean and restart then install the latest radeon drivers :)

Clean and restarted, installed newest radeon drivers, and same shitty result. FPS is down drastically

shouldn't have too. but if it is showing up that means that the bios isn't turning it off properly. this might help.

any bios updates available? do you have anything like afterburner installed, something that can tell you if its running at the correct speeds etc?

This is at idle. Just on chrome.
speeds.png

After burner is showing the R9 270 as the Master in Multi-Gpu Role?

I don't want a multi-gpu setup..
dsf.png

The R7 Integrated Graphics appear on the information section 4 times.

Under the usage section, it shows GPU 1, which is the R9 270, going up and down.

All the R7 integratted ones are at 0.

Last edited:
hmm.... scourer that bios to try and get the apu to turn off or maybe try disabling xfire in crimson settings. make sure the r7 is still disable or not listed in device manager.

hmm.... scourer that bios to try and get the apu to turn off or maybe try disabling xfire in crimson settings. make sure the r7 is still disable or not listed in device manager.

This, if it's still showing as active, and running in crossfire, your new R9 is being throttled down to the onboard levels, causing shit performance.

with my wife's 7870k and Asus MoBo I disabled the iGpu. Don't think the iGou shows up at all. Since yours does it is prob causing conflicts.

with my wife's 7870k and Asus MoBo I disabled the iGpu. Don't think the iGou shows up at all. Since yours does it is prob causing conflicts.

There is no setting to disable igpu, integrated gpu, or anything of that nature.

I can't even enter bios on the GPU only the integrated.

And you're still getting the same poor performance? What are you benchmarking in, and did you change any in game settings?

Yes same performance. I'm benchmarking in game on MX Sim, it has FPS in the top left.

I change no settings.

Last edited:
I'm attempting to flash bios with an update, but I'm having zero luck

4. Input command "cd C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\IRJYnnUSA", where "nn" *
* represents the two digit flash level.

This step in Lenovos readme file is not working.

Dug into it a bit more for you, it seems the issue is with your motherboard. That mobo is EXTREMELY picky about what hardware it's comparable with, down to the manufacturer (Powercolor vs Sapphire)

The 2 options I see is return the R7, then keep throwing video cards at it till one sticks, or find a decent AM2+ mobo and swap over.

Dug into it a bit more for you, it seems the issue is with your motherboard. That mobo is EXTREMELY picky about what hardware it's comparable with, down to the manufacturer (Powercolor vs Sapphire)

The 2 options I see is return the R7, then keep throwing video cards at it till one sticks, or find a decent AM2+ mobo and swap over.

This is what I was assuming the answer was going to be. I think that is what is going to happen. The selling said he will take the card back, he seems to be a good guy, but I may keep it and just switch mobo and CPU.

In your opinions what FX series will match or out perform the a8 7600 on a CPU level? Remember the A8 is only $64 brand new, so keep that in mind when you tell me your answer lol.

This is what I was assuming the answer was going to be. I think that is what is going to happen. The selling said he will take the card back, he seems to be a good guy, but I may keep it and just switch mobo and CPU.

In your opinions what FX series will match or out perform the a8 7600 on a CPU level? Remember the A8 is only $64 brand new, so keep that in mind when you tell me your answer lol.

FX-4350 would provide a little upgrade, with getting the added features of switching to AM3+ for a solid price

EDIT: Also, if you don't mind spending a little more the 6300 is a solid performer, I've done a few builds for friends with it

Last edited:
Back