DiRT Rally

You think thats bad, my new gfx card comes with Batman Arkham Knight !!

Ha ha ha. Well at least later on you'll have a smooth running game as the community lit a fire under WB, Nvidia and Rocksteady's feet. If you like racing and especially Rally racing, there isn't a better title than DiRT Rally out right now.

Is it actually out??
I thought it was a beta test version.
Cos feck me, I love racing games!

Is it actually out??
I thought it was a beta test version.
Cos feck me, I love racing games!

It's in Early Access still, but it's the most polished Early Access game of all time. Will there be bugs from time to time? Sure! But if you report them in a competent way, they will usually fix it within a week.

Taa for the info guys.
I've been trying to clear enough space on my SSD, how much does your installation take?

Taa for the info guys.
I've been trying to clear enough space on my SSD, how much does your installation take?

Just below 20gb. I don't know how much more will be added in the future.

Just played this game for the first time and... WOW people weren't kidding when they talked about how intense this game is! I'm sweating after driving just driving 1 coarse!

Liking this one, a lot!

Just played this game for the first time and... WOW people weren't kidding when they talked about how intense this game is! I'm sweating after driving just driving 1 coarse!

Liking this one, a lot!

Must have been a rough course.

Must have been a rough course.

Well, learning control sensitivity and fighting to stay on the road was more the challenge than the coarse itself. :D

This is a great, fun game so far. Challenging with just a gamepad, and I also found very good use of feedback on the gamepad too. Will be playing quite a bit more of this one.

My MS gamepad is a pita, I have to allocate at least 5% dead zone, it really needs 10% which is horrible.
At 5% its soooo tricky to calibrate the centre position for best straight line and its still awkward to use.
A slight touch at high speed and we're off !!

Are the XBone controllers any better?

Are the XBone controllers any better?

Mine took a bit of tuning in Dirt 3 but was pretty good once done. never quite Forza good but close

Biggest problem is that rally and gymkhana made it almost two different games in one that had very different control needs - so striking a balance was tricky.

Thanks, I need a better controller so badly, I may just pick one up.
No point getting Dirt Rally until, Project Cars is enough of a handful.

Project Cars should only be played with a steering wheel. We told them for months that the controller settings were too ridiculous. But they listened to that just about as much as we told them that it ran like sh*t on AMD video cards. If you look in the Project Cars thread, I linked some ways to fix the controller. Also look on their public forums; there is some information there on controller settings.

Dirt Rally is quite playable with a controller, but better played with a steering wheel.

In PCars, for each car I set the sensitivity in the game settings and I can control the cars ok.
My only issue is the dead zone size required on my 360 controller which is too big because of how much I can move the controller when its supposed to be still.
That is all I need improved.

I end up setting the dead zone less and have to wiggle the stick a little to find its straight line when racing.
This can cause me to lose control occasionally, annoying.

Steering wheel is definitely the best way to go. It takes a lot of practice but it translates well to real world driving/car control too.

I took a helmet cam vid of a rally in Greece. I just started the RWD championship.
Sorry, it's not the greatest quality due to bad camera settings but it still shows how tough DiRT Rally can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6iQx-vfLCw

Just played a few stages in the mini. So impressed with this game so far. It's going to be tough splitting time between this and PCars. Now to plan out a dedicated wheel rig...

Liking this one, a lot!

Yeah, you really get a sense of acomplishment just finishing. Put about an hour into it so far and getting better every race. Nicely done and the graphics are excellent.

In PCars, for each car I set the sensitivity in the game settings and I can control the cars ok.
My only issue is the dead zone size required on my 360 controller which is too big because of how much I can move the controller when its supposed to be still.
That is all I need improved.

I end up setting the dead zone less and have to wiggle the stick a little to find its straight line when racing.
This can cause me to lose control occasionally, annoying.

Always lose control with a left spin? :D I think the PhysX engine just fucks up and you just lose control. It's been doing that since it was in Alpha 3 years ago.

My fix for it is to set the graphics low enough so that I maintain at least 60 fps at all times. We used to have dev tools to monitor the PhysX load, but as far as I know they disabled them for the launch.

Well I finally started playing it after I bought my g27 from fry's. Holy fuck this thing is no joke. I love a good challenge, but this will take you to another level... which I like. I thought it was cool that they are doing multi stage with damage, penalties, and other stuff. What got me was the gears popping out when hitting bumps on the h shifter and clutch. Will be playing this game a lot when I get back home and set it up with my ultra wide.

Last edited:
This game is so hard. I am forever crashing into shit.

The game is hard, no question. Turn all assists on and don't be afraid to ease your way into it. It's not DiRT 2, or DiRT 3 - those games were so arcade-y in comparison.

I figured out how to get Fanaleds 2.3d working with the latest Dirt Rally patch. (Fanatec Club Sport base V1 w/ BMW GT2 rim)

I edited my "hardware_settings_config.xml" to read as follows,

<motion_platform>
<dbox enabled="true" />
<udp enabled="true" extradata="3" ip="127.0.0.1" port="30500" delay="1" />
<led_display nativeSupport="false" fanatecNativeSupport="false" />
</motion_platform>

Also configured my wheel inside Dirt Rally's in game options to give full lock around 90 degrees, made life much easier.

Pretty decent sim.

M-U-L-T-I-P-L-A-Y-E-R update.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/310560/announcements/detail/43136313133083032

Video announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoJQcBcfh2s

DiRT Rally World RX Multiplayer Update
AUGUST 25 - JUSTBIGLEE
Woa! It&#8217;s time for DiRT Rally&#8217;s v.0.7 update already, which this month introduces online competitive play to DiRT Rally. That&#8217;s right, you&#8217;ll now be able to head online and challenge your friends in officially licensed FIA World Rallycross events.

But wait there&#8217;s more! We&#8217;ve also added a stack of new features and changes including:
A new World RX track - Hell, Norway
New Rallycross drivers including, Liam Doran and Petter Solberg
Wet weather for all Rallycross tracks
Three new cars: DS3, MINI Countryman Rallycross and Subaru WRX STI
Brand new Wager Daily Event
Some new advanced gamepad options
Added a &#8220;Very Early&#8221; option for your Co-Driver calls
A frankly amazing set of Hints and Tips for you to read during loading screens
Removed the additional time penalty when the Off Track Reset Countdown expires and upped the limit on the timer
We&#8217;ll now show you your 'Fastest lap' onscreen for an entire Rallycross Event
Clutch Override which will give you the ability to use your clutch to override the automatic gearbox clutch

YouTube&#8482; Video: Highway to Hell - World RX Update 2 - DiRT Rally
Views: 25
Woa! It&#8217;s time for DiRT Rally&#8217;s v.0.7 update already, which this month introduces online competitive play to DiRT Rally.

And that&#8217;s not all! On top of all that goodness above we&#8217;ve also made the following additions and changes to DiRT Rally.
*bleep bloop* new achievements
Added a toggle for &#8216;Clutch Override&#8217;, which allows you to override the automatic clutch (allowing for clutch kicking)
&#8216;Advanced gamepad options&#8217; are now available for joysticks... Yup somebody out there is playing DiRT Rally with a joystick
Message added indicating if you&#8217;ve missed the entrance or exit of the joker lap.
Optimised all routes for Lydden Hill so it chugs less
Graphical Improvements to all stages on the Holjes Circuit as well as the routes for Powys, Wales and Pikes Peak
Those excessive gravel surface sounds have been toned down &#8211; which should also help with stuttering audio
Fixed an issue where the Community delta time splits were being incorrectly shown in the Pant Mawr stage from Wales
Light pods no longer show on day routes when using the bonnet / interior cameras on certain vehicles
Direct Input slider axis enumeration has been fixed which is a fancy way of saying this should solve issues with pedal bindings, most frequently the clutch
Rallycross friend leaderboards now only show the players fastest lap time
Abandoning a Rallycross Daily Event now uploads the stage maximum, rather than the time the game was paused... oops
Jump starting certain Rallycross tracks no longer results in the players lap counter refusing to increment when passing the start/finish line
Fix for the Founder liveries disappearing after the player resets their profile
Community delta times are now displayed correctly in the standings before the event begins
The Community delta times that were invalid on some tracks have now been reset
Crossing a reset line will now always result in you receiving a penalty
The Rallycross AI will now find the correct gear at the start of the race and not comically reverse
Joker laps will now register even when exiting the joker sector backwards... Because sometimes it&#8217;s fun to show off
The AI will now take the Joker lap in a Rallycross event less than 4 laps
The AI should no longer accidently take a Joker lap when switching paths after losing control.
Did you ever see that bug where the Rallycross AI would drive into a barrier, reverse, then drive into again? It was pretty funny but we thought we better fix it
Used your data to improve our AI across all Rallycross routes. They&#8217;ll now put up much more of a challenge
Just like every time we release an update there are a few things which we know won&#8217;t be perfect, don&#8217;t forget that DiRT Rally is in Early Access still and we need you to help us polish it.

We&#8217;re confident that everything should run smoothly and thank you to all our players who have been helping us test this latest update. So if you spot something that isn&#8217;t quite right or working as you expect be sure to swing by either the Codemasters Forums or Steam Forums to let us know.

As ever thank you for your support so far, we know we say this a lot but we really are grateful of all the feedback to date.

Next month we head to Finland for the fastest and most exciting update yet.

Don&#8217;t Cut. Be Brave.

Seriously this. I played one track over and over for about an hour last night trying to get first place so that I could place top 3 in the series.

Anyone from [H] playing this online?

I just started shifting manually last night. It makes the game much more real. It keeps getting better and better.

Bringing my g27 back home tonight to play the new updates. And I agree that manual is the way to go. I like how in the game, if you don't shift properly with your clutch, it will throw you out of gear.

DiRT Rally - Flying Finland Update
http://steamcommunity.com/games/310560/announcements/detail/39761965595256027

DiRT Rally - Flying Finland Update
SEPTEMBER 30 - DNOTE
It’s time for version 0.8 and we are returning to our rally roots with the mighty Flying Finland pack. We’ve added 12 new stages from Finland, the world’s fastest rally and two iconic cars driven by our local heroes from one of the greatest battles in rally championship history.

Add to this a new game mode and loads of fixes and features and this pack is almost as big as those Finnish jumps and crests.

Oh, and did we mention mouse support for the menus? You did want that right...?

So here is what’s new:

12 new rally stages near Jämsä, Finland
All new 2000s vehicle class
2 new cars - Subaru Impreza 2001 and Ford Focus RS Rally 2001
Custom Championships – You can now tweak the number of events, stages and AI difficulty. This will mean that you can set up an event that suits the amount of time you have available and get rewarded accordingly.
Mouse Support! – Yep you asked for it so here it is. It’s still a work in progress so please give us your feedback on how we can improve it.
We’ve reworked the handling on our 60s, 70s, 80s RWD and 2010s classes – these changes have seen improvements to the way we model suspension and tyres, along with engine and aero rework they really make the cars feel a lot more dynamic to drive.
We’ve updated the engine audio for the 1995 Subaru Impreza in the Group A class. We’d like to say a massive thank you to Ryan Champion for letting us use his awesome car for the recording!
We’ve wrapped our replays so you can rewind from the start of a replay to watch the final section of your run much faster than you could before.
We’ve added a new ‘Invite Friends’ option in the lobby to make it easier for you to get the people you want into your PVP races.

Here’s what we’ve fixed:
The audio FX levels for the surfaces and kick up have been brought back so that you can hear all that gravely goodness.
We sent our Rallycross AI drivers to the opticians so that they can now see when they need to avoid other cars when they are approaching the joker entrance.
Now that they can see better they are also setting faster laps.
We’ve fixed the camera clipping in certain camera angles when you changed the Field of View.
We’ve made some Hyper threading fixes that should now prevent those annoying stuttering issues that some of you were having.
We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
Toggling Push to Talk or enabling/disabling voice communications through the pause menu is now actually working.
The Reset Timer has now been increased to 15 seconds when attempting to get back on track. I know we said that before but this time it is actually in.
Cars will no longer roll over on the start in PVP races, ROFL.
We’ve made sure that the cars are visible on the start line even when collisions are turned off in PVP – they will still ghost during the race though.
Your PVP opponents won’t be showboating and driving around with the handbrake on anymore.
The gear setup will no longer be changing between stages without a service area.
We’ve fixed those odd camera angles that were being used in spectate mode.
The miles driven using owned vehicles in PVP now accrue towards unlocking upgrades for that vehicle.
When viewing a replay using an interior camera, the speedometers now show the correct speed for all vehicles.
We’ve fixed a whole host of other stuff too but they were too boring to call out in this list.

Be sure to let us know how we’re doing, or just stop the forums by to say hello.

Stay mid over BIG jump!

The DiRT Team
<3

This update is probably the best yet IMO. Driving the older 2WD vehicles is about 20x more fun on tarmac now. You really have to toss and slide around those cars now in Monaco and Germany where before they were like pinpoint accurate (which made those rally stages feel FAR more technical then they should in those older cars.)

This is definitely shaping up to be the best rally game ever made, finally eclipsing good old Richard Burns Rally.

Back