DirecTV Drops G4

Aside from G4's lack of good programming, think about their demographic: people that know where to go to get the "television" they want and then think about BET's demographic: people that probably still depend greatly on television to inform or entertain them.

So are you saying black people don't know how to use computers or the internet or don't care about technology?

I used to watch Call for Help and the Screen Savers daily on Tech TV. It was one of the main reasons that I got so hooked on computers and technology. After G4 took over things went downhill fast and I don't think I watched anything on the channel a month after the transition took place.

The only ones I ever watch anymore are Xplay and Attack of the show. Don't watch regularly, but dvr them in case nothing else is on. There have been some really hilarious moments on both shows. But they don't seem to happen as often anymore.

olivia-munn-jiggle-02.gif

quick, raise the ratings! :eek:

G4 has always been Comcast.

Along with E!, Style Network, Golf Channel and Versus. They also used to own a lot of QVC before they sold it off

Sorry, I worded that badly. Comcast bought and merged TechTV with G4 and promptly turned it to shit is what I meant.

COPS COPS COPS COPS COPS
CHEATERS CHEATERS CHEATERS
DIE HARD 2
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I used to watch G4 way back when it was a small channel only on a few providors and i liked it. Then i moved and couldn't get it anymore. then was able to get Tech TV and started to like that. when i heard that two were going to merge i thought that would be good. but they screwed up in my opinion and started to show some of the weaker shows from both channels. then over the years they started to drop more and more shows and got to be a horrible station. i stopped watching it some time ago.

I used to watch G4 way back when it was a small channel only on a few providors and i liked it. Then i moved and couldn't get it anymore. then was able to get Tech TV and started to like that. when i heard that two were going to merge i thought that would be good. but they screwed up in my opinion and started to show some of the weaker shows from both channels. then over the years they started to drop more and more shows and got to be a horrible station. i stopped watching it some time ago.

it doesn't come with the basic package with Direct tv and dish...... i can't watch it.

Personally, I like Ninja Warrior and Olivia Munn. With her departure, Ninja Warrior is the only thing I tune in to watch (and I wouldn't make it a point to watch her, but she'd cause me to pause on the channel if I was ever flipping past it.)

And one can only watch so much Ninja Warrior...

I liked TechTV a lot. I watched call for help every night as a teen. I only watch the E3 stuff on G4 now. The channel is garbage otherwise.

DTV probably drop SyFy next.

I do actually. I stopped watching when the content switched to all robot fighting and gadget files. Probably about the time Leo left.

x2. People have forgotten that TechTV was beginning to turn to shit right before the merge with G4. Many interesting shows were canceled (i.e. Audiofile, Silicon Spin, and Internet Tonight) and replaced with filler like Robot Wars, Wired for Sex, and Max Headroom. TSS and CfH, both of the best what TechTV had to offer, wasn't as interesting nor entertaining due to a large influx of newbie topics, lack of decent callers, and canceled segments like Linux Tips (this was probably around the end of 2003 or beginning of 2004). I also flat-out stopped watching after Leo left the network.

x2. People have forgotten that TechTV was beginning to turn to shit right before the merge with G4. Many interesting shows were canceled (i.e. Audiofile, Silicon Spin, and Internet Tonight) and replaced with filler like Robot Wars, Wired for Sex, and Max Headroom. TSS and CfH, both of the best what TechTV had to offer, wasn't as interesting nor entertaining due to a large influx of newbie topics, lack of decent callers, and canceled segments like Linux Tips (this was probably around the end of 2003 or beginning of 2004). I also flat-out stopped watching after Leo left the network.

Leo and that fat guy was awesome. they left and so did the real tips and tricks.

Leo and that fat guy was awesome. they left and so did the real tips and tricks.

By 'fat guy' you mean Patrick? :D Yep, they were a pretty awesome duo. I still have the DVD filled with TSS outtakes that came with Leo's 2003 Almanac.

fake edit: wait, you meant Yoshi, right? Whatever happened to him? Is he on Revision3 now?

fake edit: wait, you meant Yoshi, right? Whatever happened to him? Is he on Revision3 now?

He works on special effects for movies now. He was in Atlanta a month or two ago working on things for the next fast and furious movie.

By 'fat guy' you mean Patrick? :D Yep, they were a pretty awesome duo. I still have the DVD filled with TSS outtakes that came with Leo's 2003 Almanac.

no, Patrick, who was Yoshi again? :confused:

Believe it or not, BET is consistently in the top-20 of watched cable networks and usually equal or slightly better than MTV in terms of average total day viewers./QUOTE]

Wait. People watch MTV? Wow (oh, I forgot. HS kids)

Good riddance. G4 sucked, and destroyed TechTV which was one of the best things on TV.

it doesn't come with the basic package with Direct tv and dish...... i can't watch it.

Actually that is a good point. It used to be part of the base package for directv. But at some point in time they changed it. So now only the customers that have had directv for awhile while even get the channel or those that pay for the packages with the extra channels. So that could be one thing that adds to them not having a lot of viewers is that not everyone gets the channel. although the channel still sucks.

I watch X-play and I watch ninja warrior and cops in a pinch, but that's about it, is it top on my watch list hell no, but it beats the hell out of shows like "the big bang theory", "the event", "glee" and the other cookie cutter drama, sitcoms, and other crap that ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX ect .. . are constantly making, for all the sheeple to watch.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/16435268?portrait=0&amp;color=f0000c" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Last edited:
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/16435592?portrait=0&amp;color=f0000c" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I think Olivia Munn went to the John Stewert Show on Comedy Central.

I liked G4.. Attack of the Show, X-Play, Ninja Warrior, and occasionally Movies that don't suck. Pretty much everything else on the channel was crap. Cops non-stop, Cheaters all night.. how do those have anything to do with gaming?

:(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_TechTV:(

This news is like hearing an old childhood friend has died, and all the old memories come back. I really miss those days :( :( :( I Hate you comcast! :mad:

ZDTV and TechTV were my friends growing up, I watched screen savers and call for help every single day. They played every show 3 times per day, so you could always catch it, no matter how late you stayed up. 8 hours of good tech shows in 3 straight loops with no crap infomercials, ever.

I spent all of my free time with ZDTV and ZDnet chat, it was my world for atleast a year

They introduced me to Anime (I love Anime!) with Anime Unleashed, wayyyy before cartoon network

Having read the comments, I found it extremely ironic that the only show that people miss on G4TV is...Xplay, a ZDTV Show! (formerly GameSpot TV (1998–2000) and Extended Play (2000-2002)). The ONLY show that comcast didn't cancel when it bough TechTV.

I got hooked on computers because of the Screen Savers. I still remember back from when Kate Botello was co-hosting.

I won't miss G4. X-play was really the only thing worth watching (and even then just barely).

I think Olivia Munn went to the John Stewert Show on Comedy Central.

I liked G4.. Attack of the Show, X-Play, Ninja Warrior, and occasionally Movies that don't suck. Pretty much everything else on the channel was crap. Cops non-stop, Cheaters all night.. how do those have anything to do with gaming?

i'll miss her. :(
olivia-munn-jiggle-02.gif

I think the issue with G4 is that there really isn't enough programming to only focus on gaming without having walk-through footage and the like.
When they started adding other (unrelated) shows, they made some bad choices, too.
The best option for them would've been to get absorbed another network with shaky programming like SpikeTV. The content on G4 like Attack of the Show, X-Play, Ninja Warrior, etc. would fit in fine on Spike as individual shows.

There's quite a few other gaming shows that have been on that G4 wasn't a part of. Like the WCG Ultimate Gamer show and the WCG tournaments. A few of the former TechTV hosts I also see on other channels from time to time doing gaming related shows still. G4 had 2 gaming shows.. XPlay and Attack of the Show. The rest was Cops and Cheaters. Heck, what the hell even happened to Code Monkeys? Instead they went with stupid stuff like Star Trek 2.0.

They just need Spike to pick up X Play and Attack of the Show, and I would be good... well.. maybe pick up Ninja Warrior as well.

I think the issue with G4 is that there really isn't enough programming to only focus on gaming without having walk-through footage and the like.
When they started adding other (unrelated) shows, they made some bad choices, too.
The best option for them would've been to get absorbed another network with shaky programming like SpikeTV. The content on G4 like Attack of the Show, X-Play, Ninja Warrior, etc. would fit in fine on Spike as individual shows.

I suggest everyone write their DTV congressman with concerns and GET involved...WE WILL not rest until G4 is brought back , reconverted to TechTV and molded back into ALL the geek glory it was ! On a serious note, this is one more strike to hold against DTV for me..I've been with them the past two years and programming was great when I first got it..but now, I mostly am watching netflix and tv online..time is a changin', and I am sure DTV will realize with mediocre programming..it will be defeated by the Open-sourcery?? of the interwebs..

I miss the old days... ZDTV and TechTV. G4 went all reality TV, which I HATE! Same with Discovery, History, Science, National Geographic.... I can't stand reality TV, but love educational shows.

Reality TV = CRAP. And I know that by definition, reality TV is anything non-fiction. But, by the networks definition, it's following around some dumbass doing half scripted shit that morons enjoy.

techtv was the best. especially since it was based right in SF and i was able to go to some of the live shows. but G4 sucks balls. good im glad directv dropped them. hopefully others drop them as well and force G4 to actually give a crap and put something good on tv. friggin sick of seeing repeats of old ass shows that SUCKED! and trying to claim they are making a channel for guys to watch. we already have a channel for guys to watch its called spikeTV jackasses.

I miss the old days... ZDTV and TechTV. G4 went all reality TV, which I HATE! Same with Discovery, History, Science, National Geographic.... I can't stand reality TV, but love educational shows.

Reality TV = CRAP. And I know that by definition, reality TV is anything non-fiction. But, by the networks definition, it's following around some dumbass doing half scripted shit that morons enjoy.

Fuck everything about the learning channel.

Back