DirecTV Drops G4

I miss the old days... ZDTV and TechTV. G4 went all reality TV, which I HATE! Same with Discovery, History, Science, National Geographic.... I can't stand reality TV, but love educational shows.

Reality TV = CRAP. And I know that by definition, reality TV is anything non-fiction. But, by the networks definition, it's following around some dumbass doing half scripted shit that morons enjoy.

agree im sick of reality TV but the one thing with discovery is that they went a different route and created TRUE reality tv with somes like deadliest catch, dirty jobs, and a few others. where as all other "reality tv" is a bunch of bs scripted garbage.

agree im sick of reality TV but the one thing with discovery is that they went a different route and created TRUE reality tv with somes like deadliest catch, dirty jobs, and a few others. where as all other "reality tv" is a bunch of bs scripted garbage.

Dirty Jobs is bad ass, not so much everything else.

I recall raging when TechTV/G4TechTV suddenly became a poor man's clone of SpikeTV. The only thing I cared about after that point was X-Play, and frankly that wasn't enough to get me to keep switching to that channel.

So are you saying black people don't know how to use computers or the internet or don't care about technology?

No, he's saying techies care/know more about technologies than the average black person. The same would be true for any other race, but there's not a "White Entertainment Channel" (well except all of TV :p)

I recall raging when TechTV/G4TechTV suddenly became a poor man's clone of SpikeTV. The only thing I cared about after that point was X-Play, and frankly that wasn't enough to get me to keep switching to that channel.

Yeah it's pretty bad when your shows are less classy than SpikeTV's.

Good. I hope they go out of business and I hope they all burn in hell for all eternity (if there is such a thing as hell) for taking TechTV away. Dirty bastards...

I loved The Screensavers and Call for Help as well as several other TechTV programs, it was a sad day with G4 took it over and destroyed it, although at least they had the good sense to keep Morgan Webb around. :)

Leo Laporte should ask G4 what's it worth to them to save their asses.

I miss the old days... ZDTV and TechTV. G4 went all reality TV, which I HATE! Same with Discovery, History, Science, National Geographic.... I can't stand reality TV, but love educational shows.

Reality TV = CRAP. And I know that by definition, reality TV is anything non-fiction. But, by the networks definition, it's following around some dumbass doing half scripted shit that morons enjoy.

Oh how I used to love watching Discovery, History, Science, NG, and TLC. Now.....PHUCK them. They've all become the next reality TV station or some sh!t about homes. How many stations does there need to be about home improvement or flipping homes, or home remodeling. Or about a large family. :mad:
The only home show I watch is This Old House.

I don't really care too much about G4, but Direct TV really pisses me off sometimes! My favorite channels aren't HD (AMC!!! Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Walking Dead in shitty standard resolution... unexcusable!!!!! WTF). FIOS has them in HD and is a lot cheaper. Sorry for the digression - had to get that off my chest!

I might just have to switch to FIOS when my contract is up...

I forgot to mention that I too miss the old Computer shows of yore (where in the hell did the "Edit" button go??). Screensavers was my fave...

Could've seen this coming. G4 never was much good for anything, but they've managed to go from "okay, will watch for Ninja Warrior" to "why do they even have this channel?" in pretty short order.

Agreed. Half their stuff would be better off on Spike and the other half probably on Sci-Fi, oh, sorry, SyFy.

No surprises there, when it was TechTV (miss those days), I had to subscribe to a tier with 4 sports channels, just so I could watch the ScreenSavers, among other great tech related shows.

On occasion I still watch X-Play, but I do miss the frequent reviews they used to have, now it just seems, gaming update, talk, gaming update, talk talk talk, oh wait, we have a review, but we'll save that for next time...yeeesh. Adam & Morgan, you're the only reason that show still sorta works.

i loved techtv...was good stuff..those clips made me realize i was watching kyle before i was a member on here lol.

G4... ok when it first showed up as a seperate channel it was pretty cool...was primarily gaming focused ( i watched the hell out of the one with dubbed clips from MMO's), and had some alright shows...then it just went downhill when it tried to be a 24hr EBTV... i'm sorry i get SOME of the demographic...but aren't there enough shows and channels for the brosephs on the other 500 stations...why not actually staff a show with people that look like they play more than madden and call of duty.

that crowd is what killed them to be honest.

olivia-munn-jiggle-02.gif

WOW...looks like she played it off while on camera. Should of thrown a squeeze in there too...I would have :)

The jiggle me Olivia doll. Nice. I want one for Christmas!!

Tech TV ruled. Comcast can rot in hell for what they did to Tech TV!!

I got hooked on computers because of the Screen Savers. I still remember back from when Kate Botello was co-hosting.

I won't miss G4. X-play was really the only thing worth watching (and even then just barely).

I always will remember when it was Kate and Leo for TSS, great show then, and not too bad once Patrick replaced Kate. And Stacee Barcelata doing the news was awesome and also Sumi Das and Erica Hill too. Call for Help was great for less advanced users but still great to watch. As others mentioned Silicon Spin was a great political show with a Tech spin to it. I even liked the financial show they did called Money Machine. Fresh Gear and Big Thinkers were some other good shows.

I still remember when some executive whose company was bashed in an editorial called in to Jim Louderback wanting to talk to his boss about it and he had to tell them he was the boss lol.

I really miss ZDTV/TechTV, but never could get into it once it became G4.

Sadly I see Sci-Fi going the same route with the new name and more Mega(insert animal of choice) movies and Wrestling than real sci fi content.

bye g4 won't miss you now. You sucked from the time you moved from SanFran to LA. About time. Oh, and go fuck yourself. Attack of the show? Really...

I miss the Screen Savers, but I also think Leo Laporte's TWiT network is better than TechTV as a whole.

Damn it, no more old Cops reruns which are shown on about 2 or 3 other stations

Techtv and Zdtv was one of the best around. Watched it everyday then it was tooken over by some crappy company that demolished them. Use to watch The Screen Savers and Call For Help a lot. Leo Laporte is still on KFI640 on saturday and sundays though which is better than nothing ;). I remember they use to have webcam callers call in and it was interesting. Even if i did already know all the fixes for the callers it was just fun and interesting to hear them talking about tech and everything. The Screen Savers was the ultimate tech show. Chris Pirillo still has a live webcam on 24/7 lol.

Fuck G4 and fuck comcast. They took what was good about TechTV and G4 and shit canned it. I don't want to watch old episodes of Cops and Cheaters.

Attack of the Show is no where near the Screen savers and Call for Help. Atleast revision3 is something close.

I really miss Screensavers, when it ran that was pretty much all I watched. For a short time Attack of the Show was just a renamed Screensavers after they switched and I thought all would be well, then it wasn't and all was not well.

never met anyone who took the nielsen or had their house setup for it. but anything worth watching is almost always killed...... so we can have 88 reality pos shows. anything you might learn a sliver of knowledge from, gets the axe.

If you view comments for this news from a non-tech site, like CNN, you'll find lots of angry DirectTV customers backing G4 and its trash programming. Unsurprisingly the people from said comments cited G4's reality TV shows and non-tech programming as its "allure". Most people still watching G4 probably don't even realize it used to be a tech oriented channel. It's just another MTV.

Oh how I used to love watching Discovery, History, Science, NG, and TLC. Now.....PHUCK them. They've all become the next reality TV station or some sh!t about homes. How many stations does there need to be about home improvement or flipping homes, or home remodeling. Or about a large family. :mad:
The only home show I watch is This Old House.

Wow yeah, especially TLC has gotten really bad. There is no "learning" on that channel at all anymore.

History sometimes still has decent stuff, but far too often it's some reality show. I'm sorry but driving a truck on ice roads or working a pawn shop aren't really what I call "historic".

watched zdtv and techtv back in the day.... fond memories....

and I dont care what any idiot says, morgan webb is 10x hotter than olivia munn ever was....

TechTV was all I could ever stand to watch anymore.

I looked at G4 and went "yeah, Ninja Warrior is about all this is good for." and now i don't even watch that.

Maybe this will show G4 that they suck and they will get there shit together.. What ever happened to Machinima?

I don't know, I think Leo does a pretty good job at www.twit.tv. If anything, G4 helped them make an even better network. Twit.tv brings us back to the days when advertisers cared about the shows they advertise on, and producers cared about what they advertised.

twit.tv and Revision3 aren't bad, they're... it's just not the same.

never met anyone who took the nielsen or had their house setup for it. but anything worth watching is almost always killed...... so we can have 88 reality pos shows. anything you might learn a sliver of knowledge from, gets the axe.

My grandparents do, and all the do is e-mail on their computer, and watch golf and the travel channel. So if that's any indication to who signs up for it, it's no wonder the ratings seem odd.

I like some of the G4 content, Attack of the Show etc, all the cheaters/cops reruns should go though, I only ever turn the channel on when it was late night anyways. Though I don't even have TV in the house anymore since I stream everything, so don't really care.

I too miss ZDTV. For stuff to watch now, Revision3 is pretty good.

I am in agreement with all of you who miss the screensavers and call for help

Leo Laporte started Leoville and www.twit.tv is a great network hosted by Leo Laporte they have very informative netcasts, although some of the latest TWIT (this week in tech) episodes have been pretty inside baseball. I feel left out not living in silicon valley. I love listening to it regardless of the subject matter. Leo is a very charming host. Tom merritt the daily tech news. His content is good, but he's not nearly as warm and fuzzy as Leo.

Back