DIR 655 dropping internet.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I started having a problem with my internet dropping off a lot lately. I would look over and see the cable modem rebooting and think it must be my provider. They tell me it all looks good on their end and I can try a different modem. So I pickup a modem and it seemed good for about a day or two then starts to drop off again. I look over and see this one from what I can tell rebooting. So I bypass my router and have been up for a while with no issue. What would cause this? I have had the router a couple months and the issues just started.

Look through the logs that the DLink router keeps. Maybe something in there will tell you what the problem is.

When I got my DIR-655 it would cause my Cisco C827 to reboot constantly unless I threw a hub in between. Replacing with a C837 has fixed the problem.

What is the make/model of your modem? As for it rebooting, if nothing has changed in your house regarding cable recently, they were probably updating firmware or sent a remote reboot. Line noise from a nearby home can also cause your modem to have to re-adjust, which usually means a reboot or two.

If your internet has been stable for a few days, I'd disconnect it again (make sure to ipconfig /release first) and connect it through the router to see if it really was the router. I've seen where when the modem resets, the DIR-655 takes a few minutes to (or can get hung up) realize its a new session and needs to release/renew the IP address it had from the last session.

Also, just to eliminate everything, try a different network cable from the modem to the router. There may be a short in the cable, which would explain why it's worked for a while and you're now seeing intermittent issues.

While I've never seen the modem reset (it's in another room; I'll check if it ever happens again), I also had that problem for a while. If I check the logs, I'd see a few of these:

Wireless system with MAC address 000000000000 disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication

before everything stopped and I'd have to reset the router. There are a lot of complaints about this on DLink's forum (though I haven't checked in a while) but DLink isn't ready to call it a problem. After reading around a bit, I found someone who mentioned that the log files could be increasing to sizes the hardware doesn't like and it forces a reset that just so happens to clear the logs at the same time. Now, I'll clear the logs every few days (or about 2000 entries or so) and it's pretty much cleared up the problem though the deauthentication entry still shows up from time to time. Can't say the result'll be the same, but it might be worth looking into.

Firmware version 1.20, hardware A3 if it helps. Once that evened out, it's been a fantastic router - lightyears ahead of my old Linksys.

Is it saying 000000000000 or are you just zeroing it? If it's saying 000000000000 then click the "clone your PC's MAC address" button under internet/manual internet and reboot as prompted. After the reboot, shut everything down for five minutes and then bring the modem up first, then the router and see how long that lasts.

The 000000000000 MAC address may be the problem.

Bumping this to say I'm having a similar problem where it says "WAN Interface Down"... i also thought it was my provider, but that seems to not be the case. The strange part of the whole thing is that it started randomly at some point.

The provider first claimed it was a singal/noise ratio issue on the line, but since then they say everything is peachy.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

My issue finally went away. Try resetting the router and leaving it without power for a while. My problem started out of no where. I have the latest official firmware 1.20 (last I checked) but there are beta releases available. This seems to be a common issue. I should have never sold my gamer lounge Extreme-G router. It was rock solid.

Our 2.4 Ghz cordless phones would knock the wireless side of my DIR-615 off and I would have to power cycle the router to get it back. Once I switched to Dect 6.0 cordless phones it ran fine. I have a DIR-655 now and don't have any obvious problems with the wired or wireless. I've even managed to get my Shareport working after a reflash to 1.32NA.

Back