Digital TV Deadline Faces Vote, May be Delayed

Really who cares? I say just remove the digital deadlines and let the voters decide who gets into congress.

That's the problem. The voters keep putting the same people into congress.

But the second mouse gets the cheese!!

This is stupid. There shouldn't have even been a government coupon program. It's not the government's responsibility to maintain people's televisions. The notifications and ads and so forth should have gone forward, and people should have been left to their own to buy a converter box out of their own damn pocket. IF there was to be a coupon program, one of it's elegibility requirements should have been financial necessity. The coupons should have gone to those for which buying one of these boxes would have been a burden. Even at that, 2 per household would be one too many. One would be enough for a tv to get news and basic emergency coverage.

I've been using rabbit ears for a few years now, as I don't watch much tv, and cable wasn't (still isn't) worth it, although I have cable again...

But I couldn't (and still won't) get myself to pay for a converter box.

Why not tax the advertising more to pay for it? That's advertising that those unwilling to pay for the boxes won't see after the switch. I assure you the loss of revenue for those advertisers is greater than the # of people unwilling to pay for the boxes multiplied by $40.

Anyway, it's not coincidental that the switch happens mere days after the NFL football season ends. Imagine if the switch occurred halfway into the playoffs? Or the weekend of the Superbowl? How many people wouldn't be reached by this advertising?

Doing it when they are gives them 50 weeks to figure it out before the next Superbowl.

Although I think all of that money spent on advertising is a waste anyway. I watch the SB as I hate the NFL, and what it stands for, and I want to know who sponsors their junk, so I can personally boycott their products.

(Not like it's really that hard to boycott beer anyway...)

I guess by choosing to attempt this, Obama supports Crack Whores and retards who can't figure out what all the stuff going on tvs about a digital transition mean?

Your post seems pointless and bitter.

+1.

I've been using rabbit ears for a few years now, as I don't watch much tv, and cable wasn't (still isn't) worth it, although I have cable again...

But I couldn't (and still won't) get myself to pay for a converter box.

Why not tax the advertising more to pay for it? That's advertising that those unwilling to pay for the boxes won't see after the switch. I assure you the loss of revenue for those advertisers is greater than the # of people unwilling to pay for the boxes multiplied by $40.

Anyway, it's not coincidental that the switch happens mere days after the NFL football season ends. Imagine if the switch occurred halfway into the playoffs? Or the weekend of the Superbowl? How many people wouldn't be reached by this advertising?

Doing it when they are gives them 50 weeks to figure it out before the next Superbowl.

Although I think all of that money spent on advertising is a waste anyway. I watch the SB as I hate the NFL, and what it stands for, and I want to know who sponsors their junk, so I can personally boycott their products.

(Not like it's really that hard to boycott beer anyway...)

Did you post that in your sleep? Doesn't make much sense. And how does ANY of this affect you since you said you had cable?

TV isn't a right, the converter box program is a waste of taxpayer funds.

$40 coupon for a $50 box with $10 worth of electronics in it.

50? Quite the bargain there fella. It was 74 last I checked. ;)

those left out now will still be left out after the delay because they were too lazy to do anything about it before the first date. If we always waited for everyone to get on board with things we would never get anything done.

I think this is one of those things that falls into the category of "there's never a perfect time..." at some point the delays have to stop.

By thier own numbers they think 6 million homes may still be "unaware/unprepared", which is a seperate subject of comment.... but what I wanna know is WHY they have budgeted for 16 MILLION more boxes? WTF. :eek::rolleyes::p

Given cable/satelite/digital tuner pentration is 95+% in the US, and the fact they already gave out vouchers for millions that might fit the remaining 5%..... who's bank account is getting stuff with money with this scam?

this is ridiculous. Everybody should know by now. US government should be using this money for more important stuff... Like jobs?

this is ridiculous. Everybody should know by now. US government should be using this money for more important stuff... Like jobs?
I have a better idea. Just decrease the budget by that amount and give us all a tax credit

Or instead of taking it in the first place, let us keep it in our pockets and spend it how we want..

Digital TV is a bad idea. What they should do is IPHDTV. If you do digital tv now, you'll have to switch technologies again soon.

We already transport out video network over IP. if you have slingbox our network already is straight to IP. Just a waiting game.

funny-pictures-your-rabbit-ears-no-longer-work.jpg

A number of stations will not be broadcasting at full power till the analog transmitters are shut down, pull the damn switch already!

I have a better idea. Just decrease the budget by that amount and give us all a tax credit

Or decrease the budget and keep the tax the same, no credit. That way maybe we can start chipping away at that 10 trillion dollar debt that certain lawmakers think is ok as long as or GDP keeps up with it... or some stupid crap like that.

In other news, can I get a $40 rebate and simply apply it to the purchase of a new TV? I mean since television is now considered a right in this country and all.

Or decrease the budget and keep the tax the same, no credit. That way maybe we can start chipping away at that 10 trillion dollar debt that certain lawmakers think is ok as long as or GDP keeps up with it... or some stupid crap like that.
When people get to keep more of their hard earned money, they spend more in the economy, thus creating higher volumes of sales which in turn lead to higher tax revenues even though taxes are lower.

Back