• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Difficulty in replacing a PSU

Avenger

n00b
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
23
I've never built a custom built computer before from scratch but I have added hard drives and DVD-ROM drives and RAM to existing configurations. I have only a 450 Watt power supply and would like to replace it with something more powerful. Is it very difficult to replace it? I am assuming I would have to go in and untangle all the power connectors to the motherboard, drives, case and fans. Can I just remove the supply and replace it with the new one or do I have to strip down the case in order to get all the wires out and put the new supply in?
 
You rarely have to strip the entire PC apart unless you managed to tuck all the power cables in various nooks and crannies in a case. Just remove the PSU and untangle all the power connectors and such.
 
Thanks. I'll take a look at the existing wiring and see if I want to give it a shot.
 
I've worked on OEM systems that were so tight that the motherboard or optical drive or two had to come out just to have room to move the PSU out or down to clear the case.. but most times it's been as simple as disconnecting all the cables, removing the four screws from the back that hold the PSU in place, and sliding it out.
 
No sense is replacing something that is working fine. Wait until your upgrades require more power than the PSU can handle and upgrade it then instead. 450W runs most computers just fine.
 
Back
Top