different benchmark: vmware/compilers?

steakman1971

2[H]4U
I'd like to build or possibly buy a new system to replace my ~4 year old Pentium 4 (it's served me well, but it's time to move on). I'm leaning towards a Quad core system as opposed to dual core. However, I'm just guessing that a Quad will be faster for my needs (and more future proof).
Typical apps I run: vmware workstation (be nice to run 2 machines w/o killing my machine), visual studio, sql server, eclipse, JDK, etc.
I rarely play games any more (had a Peggle addiction...but it doesn't require a lot of CPU anyway) and really don't see anything much in my future. I work lots of hours and have 2 kids under the age of two. When I get free time, I'd rather take a nap than play games at this point in my life.

I'm considering a Q6600 (Microcenter has it for $199 right now), and a mainboard that supports up to 8 GB (likely starting off with either 2 GB or 4 GB). I'd like a low cost video card - would even consider an integrated card (this really pains me - but since I don't have time for games, what's the point?).

Before I shell out any cash: I'd like to know if there are any benchmarks for this type of stuff? What about a Phenom vs Intel Quad core? Athlon X2 vs Core 2?

Back