• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Difference ripping through EAC with Lame and WMP10?

n64man120

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
3,498
I know everyone says EAC with Lame is best method to rip. I just set it up and tried ripping a CD, at 192kbps. CD took 10 minutes to rip. Now I opened the same disk in WMP10 and selected "mp3" as the encoder, set it to 192kbps, and ripped it. It only took WMP10 2 minutes. So what's the deal? Should EAC just sound a ton better or something since it's a cleaner rip? I mean for taking 5 times longer, I can't really hear anything.

Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions?
 
EAC does a secure rip to make sure the file is perfect. Because it prevents any error in the music, EAC takes longer.
 
Should EAC just sound a ton better or something since it's a cleaner rip?
If consider knowing the tracks ripped with EAC secure mode don't have any clicks and pops a ton better then yea, :)
 
Alright, well I've ripped probably 20 cd's before and never noticed any scratch/pop problems with them. Besides ensuring scratches dont' compromise the song, there's no audio difference? I played both methods pretty loudly and both seemed as crisp.
 
One of the cool things about EAC is it logs the rips.
If you are using pristene CD's then by all mean...switch to burst mode and double check the logs for read errors.
 
I'll try out burst mode, and see how it compares to WMP10. One question: in WMP10, the files are automaticly put into a folder with the artists name. Example: I point WMP10 to E:\Music\ ... and it will store the ripped files in E:\Music\ArtistNameHere\01 - Trackname.mp3

With EAC, is there a way for it to make a custom folder each time? Just to save a step.
 
With EAC, is there a way for it to make a custom folder each time? Just to save a step.
In EAC mash the F9 key, naviagate to the file name tab, and try %A\%C\ %A - %C [%N] %T in the naming scheme box.
This translaates into:
artist (folder) album (folder) artist - album [tracknumber] trackname
Example:
D:\Music\Rush\Caress of Steel\ Rush - Caress of Steel [01] Bastille Day.mp3
 
dandragonrage said:
EAC is the best, but LAME certainly isn't. Use oggenc for Ogg Vorbis because MP3 sucks.

I agree Ogg > MP3, but a lot of players will not support Ogg as far as I know.
 
Also with EAC, you can use pretty much any encoder that has a command line interface.

Lame is the best mp3 encoder. However if you want to use Ogg you can, I would not recommend it though since you run into more compatibility issues with Ogg over mp3. If you are interested in Ogg I would suggest just skip lossy encoders all together and use FLAC, then transcode your FLAC to mp3, ogg, wmp, whatever you need for you app.

But always use EAC, so its a bit slower. If you are encoding your entire collection of a couple of hundred CDs, would you want to find out in a few months once you go to listen to a song that it is filled with pops and clicks? I look at encoding as a one time cost, so it takes a bit longer to do it RIGHT, you wont have to do it again! Which is why I also used FLAC.
 
This forum always tends to have a lot of OGG > MP3 zealotry.

There are pro's and con's to each, but not a simple lol OGG IS BETTAH :p


in anycase

FLAC > * :)
 
Stanley Pain said:
This forum always tends to have a lot of OGG > MP3 zealotry.
There are pro's and con's to each, but not a simple lol OGG IS BETTAH :p

Have you ABXed ~128kbs MP3 songs against their ~128kbs Ogg counterparts? I have. That's why I call Ogg better. Ogg is better than MP3 at low bitrates. When you want to make the most of limited storage on a music player, that is an ample qualification to shop exclusively based on Ogg support. FLAC is nice, but if you want to put all your stuff on a single player, you need a lossy CODEC. Ogg is one of the very best of them, and it's free as in speech, as in beer, and as in lack of DRM.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Karma 2's now that Rio has stopped production on current Karmas.
 
Back
Top