DIE DIE DIE - GFWL

Doesn't surprise me. I always hated it. In case you haven't heard Game For Windows Marketplace closes tomorrow. If you got points you better redeem or transfer them to Xbox Live. What does this mean for any games purchased through GFWL? Originally it was posted that you could still play games as the servers would continue to run UNTIL June 2014. Since then it appears they have retracted the June 2014 date...for now.

No matter how old a game is. If I bought a game and there comes a time I can't play it cause of a lack of online validation, then it's plain old robbery.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/pc-games/pc-marketplace-closing

Last edited:
Did they patch out GFWL in batman - such great games marred byt that horrid steaming pile of software.

There is already couple of threads in PC subforum. There has been talk about converting old GFWL games to Steamworks but I'm not sure about details or if its even correct.

converting all older GFWL titles to Steamworks is pretty cool!...I'm down for that

Any title worth playing will patch out the GFWL requirement within the next year.

I hope Dark Souls really does migrate to steamworks, like the rumor that's going....
I too, will add my joy to this thread at the wonderful news of GFWL's demise into complete and utter death.
I wonder what will be done for GTA 4...if anything....

What if they've gone bankrupt? What if it was by MS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_–_Live_titles

I would expect a good chunk of the titles on that list that are still relevant to be patched within the next year. The ones that are unlikely to be patched by the original developer have already been patched by 3rd parties anyway.

I think Microsoft will degrade this service gracefully by at least allowing the launch of titles that require GFWL activation for single-player, even if all of the online features become unavailable. The games on that list with relevant online features will likely have them patched to standalone or another service. Batman: AC already has achievements in the Steam schema (currently disabled) and and an update for other titles is likely forthcoming.

I didnt like GFWL because it messed up communications with my Blu Ray player.
I sometimes stream video to my Blu-Ray player from my PC, that gets displayed on my TV.

After having GWFL on my PC, I couldn't stream any more. Removed GWL and all was well.

Back