Did Warner Bros. Pirate Antipiracy Technology?

HardOCP News

[H] News
To hear Hollywood studios tell it, you shouldn’t pirate stuff because it robs others of compensation for their hard work…well, except when they do it. :rolleyes:

“We disclosed our anti-piracy technology to Warner Bros. in 2003 at their request, under strict confidentiality, expecting to be treated fairly," MPV says in a statement. "Instead, they started using our technology extensively without our permission and without any accounting to us. However, we had taken care to obtain patents to protect MPV's technology, and we are now in a position where we must assert our rights.”

is only piracy when an individual does it. for businesses it is just good business.

Greed is rampant now days ,and money trumps everything so this does not surprise me one bit.

If I were to ever get sued by warner bros, I think I would seriously use this in my defense. You have people being sued pirating for personal use, have no intent of redistributing copyrighted works for personal gain, and you got a multi billion dollar company using corporate level software without permission or paying for it for personal and financial gain.

Remember, its a million+ PER INFRINGMENT. That means if they sold a million copies of a game using thier "anti-piracy" technologies, WB owes the company a trillion dollars. It does not matter that the number is insane, it's the precident WB has set through the MPAA and the RIAA.

What a blow to those who try to hold themselves to a standard.

Do people have much issue stealing from a thief? Makes me want to pirate a WB movie out of spite... and I have never downloaded a movie.

While this makes me want to laugh, since it's a question of patents, and IMO that law is in a serious need of a rewrite.

Smack!! The sound of several smacking foreheads at WB, OR The high fives of many lawyers about to become filthy rich.

Could be both.

wb:
facepalm.jpg

someone send this to mpaa!

lol yeah... but eh... seeing as how its WB and not the typical joe with a net connection and a fatty hdd...a double is in line

gg WB

Oh, I agree, WB did a double facepalm while slipping on a skateboard and racking themselves on a handrail.

Remember, its a million+ PER INFRINGMENT. That means if they sold a million copies of a game using thier "anti-piracy" technologies, WB owes the company a trillion dollars. It does not matter that the number is insane, it's the precident WB has set through the MPAA and the RIAA.
Sorry, this is just a way of marking a cinema recording so that pirated copies can be traced back to the original. Number of theatre copies of films since 2004 would be in the thousands, at best.

so... WB going to get the shaft?

would be funny if the anti piracy company refuses to settle and nails WB to the wall.

so... WB going to get the shaft?

would be funny if the anti piracy company refuses to settle and nails WB to the wall.

I would say I think they should be fined using the same precedent they have set for compensation of media piracy in civil cases (I.e. they have to pay this company whatever they charged an average person PER INFRACTION), but I know they will just settle out of court for "an unspecified amount" and this will disappear quickly.

Unless this smaller company refuses to take the settlement and uses this as an opportunity to really expose piracy by a media company, this incident will go away quietly.

#1 rule in intellectual property.. YOU NEVER FUCKING SHOW ANYONE WHO CAN STEAL IT BEFORE YOU GET YOUR PATENTS ACCOUNTED FOR!

#1 rule in intellectual property.. YOU NEVER FUCKING SHOW ANYONE WHO CAN STEAL IT BEFORE YOU GET YOUR PATENTS ACCOUNTED FOR!

LOL QFT.

like how facebook originally was supposedly the three whats-their-faces' idea that mark "stole"

Blleepp Blleeepp That's All Folks !!! I've got the Do as I say, Not as I Do Blues. F**k them, More $ than God makes it OK for them but don't U try it.

i hope they fuck over WB.

most likely this will end in a massive settlement.

but i wish they could kick them in the nuts while they're down....... e.g:

1. demand public apology by WB on network television during primetime, to be broadcast multiple times on all networks, especially the WB network.
2. recall all movies and dvd's and dump them all in a big bonfire in the parking lot of WB headquarters.
3. in addition to monetary compensation.

uh, most of you guys are talking about two different things. patent infringement is not the same thing as piracy. Its funny in a lot of ways, but it is not the same, main difference being the deep legal pockets on both sides of the issue.

Back