Did something dumb, need help

pigpen

2[H]4U
I disabled the display adaper in windows. I was installing a new MOBO and mistook IRQ problems with resource assignment. Anyways, for some unknown reason i decided to disable the display adapter and restart windows. Now once windows restarts there is just a black screen. Is there any work around for this other than reinstalling windows?

Thankyou

One other thing i should mention; both safe mode and vga mode just stall out before booting. ???

You could try a PCI video card or use a different video card if you have one.

Soul.Survivor said:
a repair install of xp should work and will only take about 30 min max.

Tried that too. No go. Thankyou for the suggestion though.

kirbyrj said:
You could try a PCI video card or use a different video card if you have one.

good idea. I don't have one (pci card), but it would be worth it to buy one to not go through the hassle of reformatting / reinstalling.

pigpen said:
Tried that too. No go. Thankyou for the suggestion though.

If a repair install didn't fix your problem, then you might have bigger issues.

You could try windows safem od by pressing f8 durring boot up.

I have done similar things with a video card wile switching monitors i had the display settings to high for the monitor and the one that it was working on was gone.

So i booted to safemode where the driver for the video card isint in use its in a default vga safemode. and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and adjusted the display settings and it held when i rebooted to normal mode.

Hopw this helps.

Resetting BIOS may not 'seem' to help as some BIOS set PCI as the Vid instead of the AGP... (which seems somewhat ignorant to me, it should actually cause it to search for 'available' upon reboot and cause it to become default).

I ran into a simular issue with a mobo I just purchased... seems to be set to PCI and I don't have a PCI vid card at the moment, (I'll be borrowing one to get it set right)

It would be a good idea to have a PCI vid card just for such mishaps... I used to have one but traded it for a better AGP card ...

I ran out of ideas so i just refomated / reinstalled. PITA, but always works.

Back