Did my psu die?

GonzoP

2[H]4U
So this is for the Junior rig in the sig.

This morning the kids turned it on the fan only molex's were not giving any power. I thought that was odd and not a good sign. Changed somethings around and got it working. Just now after a re-boot it would not load windows. It would get to the XP screen with the three blue bars that move horizontally and freeze. The PC would still be on it would just freeze. So I went into the BIOS and fiddled around. Turned her off and reset CMOS. Now when trying to power her up everything will spin for 3-4 seconds and then turn off.

I have had this Antec TruePower for many years so maybe its just dead? Given the specific problems I outlined above : first fan only molex give out, then problems booting, now won't even power up,is this purely a PSU issue? If it is I'll probably hook up a cheap Earthwatts and should be back up and running.

Any advice or suggestions?

Well there is a good chance that it is a dead PSU. The Truepower line of PSUs were well known for their above average failure rate. If that PSU is no more than 3 years old, you might be able to get it replaced under Antec warranty. You'll probably get a Antec EA500 in return

Yeah ok. However,I think I'm closer to 4 years owning this PSU.I also cruised over to the egg to see that right now none of the EA's are on sale. They have a NeoPower550w for $45. Damn I wish those EA650's were $50 again I'd snap that up again quick. Maybe I can wait a few days till a sale emerges, maybe not. Kinda don't like the kids on Senior too much :D.
Anyway, if the EA's don't go back on sale. What else is considered a decent PSU for $50 or so?

. They have a NeoPower550w for $45......
Anyway, if the EA's don't go back on sale. What else is considered a decent PSU for $50 or so?

The Neopower 550 is a good choice at $45 :) Oh and that's a sale price, not normal pricing...

The Neopower 550 is a good choice at $45 :) Oh and that's a sale price, not normal pricing...

Right. Anything else I should consider in the fifty dollar neighborhood? With as often as the Earthwatts have been on sale I'd almost be willing to see if the 500 or 650 come back on sale this week which I think they might. I think the sale just ended a few hours ago too.
I don't know how long the kids will live without their computer. I don't know how long I can live with them on mine;)

As always thanks for the responses :)

Right. Anything else I should consider in the fifty dollar neighborhood?

The SeaSonic S12 II SS-330GB 330W and SS-400ES 400W are other good choices in the $50 price range. Other than the Seasonics and the Antec Neopower 550, there aren't any other sub $50 PSUs that I would recommend for Junior rig.

Fair enough. Looks like its NeoPower 550 unless the EA500 goes back down to $50. I'll probably wait a day or three to decide, unless the kids change my mind.
Thanks for the input

So I waited too long on the Neo Power is back up to $99.
I guess I'm still looking for the best value PSU I can find.

Another thing I thought of is the 3.3v and 5v rails. I know recent mobos and cpu require most of the juice on the 12v rail. But for this Junior rig its a 5 year old KT333 mobo and a AXP Barton cpu, so I believe I'm going to need proportionately greater juice on the 3.3 and 5? True or no?

Another thing I thought of is the 3.3v and 5v rails. I know recent mobos and cpu require most of the juice on the 12v rail. But for this Junior rig its a 5 year old KT333 mobo and a AXP Barton cpu, so I believe I'm going to need proportionately greater juice on the 3.3 and 5?

Somewhat yes. There are many good quality PSUs that have enough wattage/amperage on the +12V rail to power the AXP and KT333 like the Earthwatts series.

OK so good news bad news.
I actually got Junior up and running again. I unplugged all the molexs and re-orientated a few of them. Now all seems fine. However, the issue remains that the "fan only" molexs still are not powering anything. Also I think maybe at least one of my 12v molexs is out too. Does that even make sense for some wires to die with the rest of the system is still going ok? Regardless all this leads me to assume I'm on my last leg in the eleventh hour with this PSU.

I see the EA650 is back on sale for $60 but in this old mid tower I need the PSU to be placed in the upper back and thus the top fan isn't going to work for me. Unless you can install the babies upsidedown :p

So I will continue to search for a value PSU without a fan on top.

So I will continue to search for a value PSU without a fan on top.

Actually the pictures on Newegg as well as the Antec box have that PSU upside down. The fan should be at the bottom. However, in any case, you can still install the PSU "upside" down, with the fan "pointed" down.

Actually the pictures on Newegg as well as the Antec box have that PSU upside down. The fan should be at the bottom. However, in any case, you can still install the PSU "upside" down, with the fan "pointed" down.

:rolleyes: Christ Almighty this is embarassing. See I have the EA650 in my Senior rig and you know what. Its upside then. Its in the bottom of my case fan side up. Wow :eek: I cannot believe I didn't know of see it was not right side up, I was sure I was installing it properly :rolleyes: Silly me. Anyway, no harm no foul I guess

Also for Danny or anyone. Is 4 watts the maximum I should be using from my mobos 3 pin headers? I have a 12v 120mm fan rated .28A or 3.36w its a 3 pin. Good to go from the mobo itself?

OK to whom it concerns.
I'm going to be replacing my PSU from Junior down below.
I've been getting random re-boots during certain games [others are totally fine]. The current PSU has only 24A on the 12v and the recommendation for the 3850 is 30A. Which is why I think its the PSU. So I need 30A on my 12v. That's a non-issue in this day and age.
What is an issue is the age of the mobo means it does not have a 12vATX line. So the entire cpu voltage/wattage is coming from the 5v. Based on online calculators its seem my Barton running could need between 100-120w by itself. Many PSU's I'm looking at like EA500/650 don't give you a lot of juice on the 3.3&5v. 150w combined is what many of the ones I'm looking at have. [Compare this to my old TruePower which is 32A on the 3.v and 40A and the 5v. Probably just for that reason that you don't use the 12v for the cpu]

Anyway, I have the EA650 for my senior rig and its great. But it too only spares 150w for the 3.3v and 5v. Its not on sale now but I could wait.
The OCZ600SXS is on sale for $75 shipped as well.

I guess I'm looking for confirmation I would be OK with a PSU with just 150-155w on the 3.3 and 5v assuming my cpu alone might be pulling as much as 120w. I'd like to stay under $80 for this PSU. As even the more expensive 800-1000w PSU's don't give you that much more on the 3.3v and 5v combined. But then again if I need it I guess I need it.

150W might be cutting it too close. I recommend going with the Silverstone ST400 since it has 180W on the +5 and +3.3V total which should enough for your system. It also has 29A on the +12V rail and considering that most of your other parts are dependent on the +5V and +3.3V rails, that should be more than enough for the video card. It got a decent review here:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQzNCwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

As usual you came thru nicely. One follow up question would the SilverStone be preferred over this XClio:
StablePower 500
This guy has 210w combined and the 12v looks decent as well
17-189-014-04.jpg

Either way seems I won't need to get another EA650 and my solution is likely less than $50

I've recommended XClio PSUs in the past but in this case I'm gonna have to recommend against going with one. IMO, the extra 30W on the +5V and +3.3V is not worth the extra $20. In addition, I cannot see/figure out how much total amperage/wattage is on the +12V rail for the XClio. I know it's CWT built but that lack of +12V info makes me very hesitant in recommending it.

Back