• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Did I seriously mess up????

swirly

Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2004
Messages
553
While screwing in my AeroCool HT-101 into the motherboard, there is a nut in the motherboard.. It got loose and I cannot find it. I think it is magnetic, because it happeed like 6 times and I turned my case and it wound up there.. Now I cannot find it.. I am not taking my whole motherboard out either.. Any Suggestions????
 
Well.. if you can't find it, you better take the motherboard out. You don't want to cause a short, that would ruin your day.
 
How would it cause a short?? I never turned t on yet or anything.. Usuallly when I shook it.. It just came back to the right spot like a magnet.. Now I shake it, And Nothing...
 
If it touches any of the circuit paths while the computer's on, the electricity can jump to the nut and over to anything else it happens to be touching, like another circuit. Not so much of a problem if the computer is off, of course.
 
swirly said:
Anyone live in Bloomfield, NJ that can come here and help me?

Your kidding right? If you can't get it out by shaking then no one else can either. Just remove the 6-8 screws holding down your motherboard and get the thing out of there.
 
Um wow,

Let me get this straight..... He loosened/lost a nut in his case. He can no longer find it and doesnt want to/ cant/ or is not smart enough to take the motherboard out to look for it. Now he wants someone to come down and help? What kind of situation is this? Why is he messing with his machine if he doesnt understand the consequences of what can happen when "screwing" around with it?


Dude, you NEED to pull the board out..... you NEED to find that piece..... That piece can really screw you over if it hits something critical while on. Magic smoke will be flying.
 
I unscrewed all the screws but I couldn't unscrew one of them. It may had been loose or something!!
 
You prob unscrewed the riser by accident on the one screw. Stick a pair of needlenose under the board and hold it while removing the screw.
 
I say set it on fire and smoke that darn screw outta there!
 
Guys stop joking you fucking losers.. Be serious.. I got the Nut out.. But it is on thisbig plate thing, do I needa take out my whole board, unplug all my harddrives and everything else?? This is soo GAY!!
 
swirly said:
Anyone live in Bloomfield, NJ that can come here and help me?


BAhahahahha wtf....
that is disturbing...why would anyone wanna travel to your place to find your NUT (s)
 
swirly said:
Guys stop joking you fucking losers.. Be serious.. I got the Nut out.. But it is on thisbig plate thing, do I needa take out my whole board, unplug all my harddrives and everything else?? This is soo GAY!!


I fail to see the reason that removing maybe 10 screws at the most is so difficult.
 
rolfmao.... this is one of the funniest threads ever. :D

swirly, just for shits and giggles, you shouldve called the thread 'help me find my nuts'.... omg thats one funny thread. :p
 
Rofl bro I'll rename it.. Anyways, should i disconnect my PSU before I take out my board?? and my graphics card and everything!!?? One of my screws won't come out of my board.. I think it is stripped.. How can I get it out!!
 
Screw the screw and play with your NUTS!!!!!! LMAO!!!! j/k I don't know how to help you there, lol.....
 
swirly said:
Rofl bro I'll rename it.. Anyways, should i disconnect my PSU before I take out my board?? and my graphics card and everything!!?? One of my screws won't come out of my board.. I think it is stripped.. How can I get it out!!


I am hoping this whole thread is a joke.
As for that striped screw, If you look at page one you will see:

GlobalFear said:
You prob unscrewed the riser by accident on the one screw. Stick a pair of needlenose under the board and hold it while removing the screw.
 
ok.. are you talking about the motherboard tray riser bolt? like a screw that you screw another one into? you don' t need all of them.. but it helps to put them in.. i can't find a picture of one.. but i will keep looking..

take everything off of the motherboard before taking it off.. unplug it from the psu, unplug the ide cables.. take out the cards.. then take out the motherboard... and put the risers back.. it sounds like one is stuck in the back of your motherboard because you tightened the screw to much and they are connected now.. and somehow another one fell out..

the big metal thing is your motherboard tray...

ok.. they are also called standoffs here is a pic:
standoff.jpg


is that what you are talking about? you don't need them all.. but they are a good idea of have.. if, for example, you only had them on the corners of your motherboard, you may be trying to put in some memory one day and snap the board in half (or more likely snap off a corner).. but the more of them there are under there, the better.. as long as they go where they are supposed to..


so anyways.. take the motherboard out.. yes you have to disconnect everything from it.. (not the cpu/heatsink).. and then make sure that you ahve all of them in there that are supposed to be in there.. get the one off of the back of your motherboard.. and then screw them into the motherboard try tightly.. so they won't get caught by your motherboard screws again... then put it back together.. it's not that big of a deal to take out a motherboard.. and if you do it enough you will get used to it..

actually, since you were putting on a heatsink at the time.. you might have to take the heatsink off.. don't connect it iwth only 3 screws.. make sure all 4 are on there.. and when putting the heatsink back on.. follow these directions: http://arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm it works for all "thermal compounds" not just as5.. don't reuse a "pad" if that's what came with your heatsink

good luck..
 
I still say setting fire to your case will make that stubborn last screw come out....how could it not?
 
All i can say is wow...just wow.

you do know in the time it took you to make this thread you could of had everything out of your case and found your missing nut :p . But instead you have made this a 3 day ordeal.

But hey you pay for my plane ticket and I will come take your case apart and put it back together (I need a vacation).

JEEVES
 
Thanks for your jokes and comments. I took my board off, mounted the heatsink and everything seems in order.. My next post will be called "I Found My Nuts" =).
 
I think you should forget about playing with your nuts and just use bubblegum to hold the motherboard down! :D
 
ok fellas...... he solved the issue.... the jokes are getting old and need to stop.... geebus, you kids are so immature.... :p
 
Back
Top