Did I make a good buy? EVGA Titan w Skynt bios

narsbars

2[H]4U
Couldn't pay over $400.00 for a new card and just picked up a stock Titan from a long term H member running at 1106 with custom bios for $255.00.

I will now sell my 280X for enough to bring my price under $200.00 so do you think I will be able to play current and upcoming games for a while?

MSI G45, 32 gig, 1 TB SSD, and 4790K for a base.

you already made the purchase, so enjoy the card. $255 is a fair price, Not a steal by any means but its fair.

Original GTX Titan?. bad buy IMHO.. no matter what price you paid for it.. kepler as a forgotten architecture perform horrible with any modern game since the launch of maxwell.. so you will find yourself in a embarrassing situation where your 280X would perform equal and/or better than that Titan..

for 255 i dont see a issue that is a fine card and 250 is a fine price. enjoy the card,

Didn't the original titans do better than the later models on compute / number crunching accuracy? If so, then for that application great but for games (since you asked for games) ... well, the 280 was pretty good to begin with so gains might not be much. But on the plus side the Titan does come with more vram right?

it has a respectable 6 gigs and it is no way faster than the titan x and closer to a 980 in preformance

Didn't the original titans do better than the later models on compute / number crunching accuracy? If so, then for that application great but for games (since you asked for games) ... well, the 280 was pretty good to begin with so gains might not be much. But on the plus side the Titan does come with more vram right?

They have FP64 performance equal to their FP32 performance, later cards it's only half the performance in FP64. If you do a lot of 3d modeling it matters.

Just gaming, and I will be selling the 280X, and moving my playing card a 290, to my second machine. If I am not going to see a large difference I may just move the Titan on and wait for a 1070.
Couldn't help myself, always drooled about the card and it was an impulse buy. Not about to back out on a deal made on the H. The card does run at 1100 so I am hoping if I do keep it, it will be real close to an non-overclocked 1070.

The card does run at 1100 so I am hoping if I do keep it, it will be real close to an non-overclocked 1070.

far from that, depending on the game and resolution the best you could expect 50%-60% performance of what a GTX 1070 can offer. if you were talking about Titan Black/780Ti things could be different but still far from a GTX 1070. remember that stock 1070 is at levels of GTX Titan X.

In terms of price for performance, you'd probably have been better off waiting a couple of months until the RX480 became available.

That said, the GTX Titan is freaking cool, and is not a terrible deal at all for ~$250 if you need a graphics card today. When you eventually retire it, it will also look cool in a frame on your wall, or on a shelf or something.

Titan overclocked wont beat out an overclocked GTX980 (about the same really) much less touch a 1070.

Also to keep in mind that the Titan X is a beast overclocker, the 1070 not so much.

keep on topic, if you want to discuss Titan X performance versus GTX 1070 make another thread, is not so hard...

In terms of price for performance, you'd probably have been better off waiting a couple of months until the RX480 became available.

That said, the GTX Titan is freaking cool, and is not a terrible deal at all for ~$250 if you need a graphics card today. When you eventually retire it, it will also look cool in a frame on your wall, or on a shelf or something.

I wanted to improve from my 290, didn't want to wait, and $250.00 was my budget limit.

far from that, depending on the game and resolution the best you could expect 50%-60% performance of what a GTX 1070 can offer. if you were talking about Titan Black/780Ti things could be different but still far from a GTX 1070. remember that stock 1070 is at levels of GTX Titan X.

Appreciate the comments even if they are not what I was hoping to hear. Should at least beat my 290 enough to make it reasonable considering that I can now dump my 280X.

I don't think you improved much. You spent $250 on a dated card that was great years ago.

That's why I asked for opinions from the H. I was hoping for better from my impulse buy but we all make mistakes. At least the signature edition comes with a collector's T-Shirt:(

for 2250 it dosnt matter its still a decent card and he could sell it for 300 easy on ebay if he wanted. give the card a try for yourself see if you like it overclock tyhe life out of it and if you dont you can sell it for more then you paid

Appreciate the comments even if they are not what I was hoping to hear. Should at least beat my 290 enough to make it reasonable considering that I can now dump my 280X.

It beats your 290 by 5%

perfrel.gif

I'd ask the seller very nicely if he would consider cancelling the deal tbh. If your budget is limited to $250 I'd just wait for RX 480, which should at least offer 980 performance with a slight overclock if not at stock. That would at least be a 25%+ upgrade from you 290.

Thanks, now to go bang my head on the wall. I won't cancel the deal as the seller was very good, great communication etc. I made the deal and will stick by my word.
It is already on the way or in his car on the way to the Post Office.
I screwed up, not his fault.

It beats your 290 by 5%

perfrel.gif

I'd ask the seller very nicely if he would consider cancelling the deal tbh. If your budget is limited to $250 I'd just wait for RX 480, which should at least offer 980 performance with a slight overclock if not at stock. That would at least be a 25%+ upgrade from you 290.

Last edited:
for 2250 it dosnt matter its still a decent card and he could sell it for 300 easy on ebay if he wanted. give the card a try for yourself see if you like it overclock tyhe life out of it and if you dont you can sell it for more then you paid

The card is OCed to 1106. So it is running faster than the original OC version. The majority of the opinions here seem to be that the 6 gig wont't do any good and the card is not much of an upgrade from my 290.
Jumped way too fast but I can probably get my money back minus shipping and keep the T-Shirt.

The card is OCed to 1106. So it is running faster than the original OC version. The majority of the opinions here seem to be that the 6 gig wont't do any good and the card is not much of an upgrade from my 290.
Jumped way too fast but I can probably get my money back minus shipping and keep the T-Shirt.

Ebay Titans (not X's) are $300+. Done right, you'll make it all back including shipping - and maybe even enough for a nice meal :D

Yup, sell that thing on eBay when you get it, and wait a few more weeks until the 480 drops. Assuming you can get one near MSRP, you'd be looking at a fairly solid upgrade that fits exactly into your budget.

Sorry but you fucked up bad.......the 480 will out perform that thing at much less cost. Sell it at a 100 dollar loss if need be (and truth be told it needs be)....i cant believe someone would pay that much fro Kepler in this day in age....the titan cards are shit value for the money to start with.....if it were a modern titan like the x it be different

Sorry but you fucked up bad.......the 480 will out perform that thing at much less cost. Sell it at a 100 dollar loss if need be (and truth be told it needs be)....i cant believe someone would pay that much fro Kepler in this day in age....the titan cards are shit value for the money to start with.....if it were a modern titan like the x it be different

i highly dissagre just because it will not preform like a 480 dosnt mean its not worth it MANY people would want to buy it for just the titan name and it is still a great workstation card. and 100 less??? the ebay sold page of original titans has people buying them from 3-400

I may be a different sort of guy, but Id keep the Titan and move the 290. The Titan (at those clocks) will be a little step up, and when you do upgrade, you can mount it in a display case. Its a nice looking card.

i highly dissagre just because it will not preform like a 480 dosnt mean its not worth it MANY people would want to buy it for just the titan name and it is still a great workstation card. and 100 less??? the ebay sold page of original titans has people buying them from 3-400

However numerous OG Titans sold for <$300, so it isn't a slam dunk that the card can be flipped for a profit. And my experience trying to sell electronics on eBay is that many people just don't pay, and those results still show up in "Competed Items" :(

I fully agree it's a good workstation card, just not an upgrade from the 290 as a gaming card, and certainly worse in DX12 gaming.

Having said that, OP should mess around and have fun with that Titan! It should hold its value well as a workstation card so he can sell the card for a minimal loss.

I don't think you can get a better card (for ALL purposes gaming, rendering calculation) for this money, so enjoy it.

Thanks, now to go bang my head on the wall. I won't cancel the deal as the seller was very good, great communication etc. I made the deal and will stick by my word.

At least you own your mistake, I can respect that.

No Fleabay. If I decide it should go after testing I would rather sell it on the H even at a loss and do someone else a favor. I will point them to this thread before taking anyone's cash.
Hey! At least I got a nice collectors cardboard box, a T-Shirt, and some stickers!

i find my titan very good and able to play all the modern stuff a decent levels. My friend has a maxwell 980 and has had more issues with newer titles than me. Its still a reasonable card and performs well although i have mine under water and oc. Witcher 3 im running maxed except aa and get around 45 -55 fps at 1920x1200 on a crt with around 30 mods. I am hoping to get a 1080 or 1070 if im honest. One thing that beats the 980 is being able to run rottr with max textures which the 980 couldnt do with only 4gb.

Just wanted to say thank you for doing what's right and standing by the deal you agreed to. I'm sure the seller would agree with that sentiment 100%.
I know a lot of people would try and weasel their way out of it if they could.

Just wanted to say thank you for doing what's right and standing by the deal you agreed to. I'm sure the seller would agree with that sentiment 100%.
I know a lot of people would try and weasel their way out of it if they could.

its not like he got screwed. a gtx titan is work 250 on most fourms and even more on ebay.

The H. Great place for a lot of viewpoints. I think I will open the card when it arrives, test it, put it back in the box, take pictures, and see if I can trade or sell it on the H. Anyone have an 1150 + CPU combo:p ? I bought it, I own the mistake and will take the hit. OUCH!

Just gaming, and I will be selling the 280X, and moving my playing card a 290, to my second machine. If I am not going to see a large difference I may just move the Titan on and wait for a 1070.
Couldn't help myself, always drooled about the card and it was an impulse buy. Not about to back out on a deal made on the H. The card does run at 1100 so I am hoping if I do keep it, it will be real close to an non-overclocked 1070.
performance of an OCed R9 280x should be around a GTX Titan or faster

due to Nvidia crippling Kepler drivers
perfrel_2560_1440.png

Back