• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

did I fry the processor?

sparks

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
3,206
I have an Asus p7p55d-e pro motherboard and an Lynsfield 860 processor.
I took my system and pulled the graphics card and drives for a cleaning to get all the dust out. BUT that didn't cause my problem.
Boot up and it was back to stock settings ..weird
so I go into the bios and the only thing I had this summer was a little oc to 3.2G and it has run fine for almost 2 years.
so while I am here lets try 3.6 and check those temps so blk at 180 and cpu volts to 1.2.
Should be fine
reset and no boot. ok lets go back and redo it
Nothing
It starts up but won't even post.
So I unplug it and asus says it will revert to stock settings.
Nothing
clear cmos and remove battery....nothing
Now I notice a red light under the cpu cooler it says cpu led. Never noticed that before
ok did I smoke the mb the processor or ?????
 
Unless you got another working LGA1156 mobo to test the cpu, im afraid you might have shorted something while cleaning.
 
I stripped down the system and tried different memory and video card.
Same thing.
I guess either the cpu or mb is toast.
 
Did you plug the 4+8 pin power connector back in after you finished?
 
I vote the motherboard. Usually the increased power draw can be a bit of a mouthful for some boards.
 
Are you sure you're doing clear cmos correctly? Unplug the PC, wait 15 seconds while clicking the power button a couple times, then use the clear cmos jumper. Replace cmos jumper to original location, and try the PC again.
 
Try unplugging the system and pulling the MB battery for at least 5 minutes. Out and in right away won't do it. It sounds like it's fine to me, just not letting go of the settings.
 
I'd bet on the mobo, but I haven't used a 32nm processor yet so I don't know how finicky they are to over voltage.
 
Back
Top