Did I blow my Klipsch Ultra (not a BASH question)

kent

2[H]4U
I long ago hooked my Klipsch Ultra 5.1 set up to a 5.1 receiver and got a Dayton subwoofer.

Tonight I had the volume a little too loud and I heard a pop from my fronts and now the fronts only output about 20% of intended volume and they sound like shit.

At first I thought I fried the amp so I hooked up SR speaker to FR amp and SR amp sounded perfect. I then hooked up FR speaker to SR amp and FR still sounded like shit. That eliminates the amp as the dead part (good because Ultra replacement sats are cheap)

Sounds like I blew the front channels huh?

You may have unintentionally popped the voicecoil out of the pole. You might be able to get them back in if this is the problem, but you're of course working with the understanding you might have other issues. Try some sticky tape (stickier the better) on the center of the cone and gently pull out on it. You're trying to get the suspension to align the voicecoil back with the pole assembly. If it's your only problem and it works great. If not, at least the satellites are cheap :)

Thanks for your reply. I will try that later today.

As it stands I found a pair of gently used sats for only $35 on eBay. I think most people blow their amp never get it fixed and part out the satellite so I got real lucky

Thanks for your reply. I will try that later today.

As it stands I found a pair of gently used sats for only $35 on eBay. I think most people blow their amp never get it fixed and part out the satellite so I got real lucky

My amp never blew, but I blew my front sats oddly enough.

I have the other sats as my rear speakers and they work great. I replace the fronts with my fav Klipsch, went to an AV reciever, and a 12 sub. My wife can FEEL me watching a movie now.:D

Anyone want my amp and sub for $5 plus shipping?

I took apart one of the broken ones today as I got in a cheap pair to replace them with.

The internals look.... perfect. Nothing is blown, the caps (even after 11 years) are flat topped. Nothing is burnt, no weird smells.

What should I be looking for that's wrong?

Speakers are rated at 60W RMS, the amplifier is 100W per channel. Not sure if that's peak or RMS.

Any type of rubbing if you move the speaker cone in and out. Did you ever try to see if the voice coil was just popped out? Check for any tears in the suspension including the spider underneath the cone.

Back