Did FF XIII marketing really just snag me?

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
I went on like a 15 mile bike ride this morning with my mom. Then breakfast with the family. Then downtime between breakfast and dinner with relatives later today. So I was half-asleep on the couch watching TV, my legs jello. The FF XIII/Xbox 30 bundle commercial comes on, and now I'm on my parents' computer looking into the game.

I grew up on RPGs. I played almost everything SNES and PSX had to offer. Even Mystic Quest. Even the glitchy Lufia games. Unfortunately I grew apart from console gaming some years ago when I left for college and got into computers. The PSX was my last console, so I've missed out on all FF games after VIII (8). I did play IX, and I got halfway through IX, but I got halfway through Chrono Cross and BoF IV as well, but they were rented, and I never got around to renting them again. Hell, my senior year of college I went on eBay and bought VII just to play it again. Busted out my dusty PSX and relived its magic.

The Xbox bundle is $400. Pretty steep, but it's the newer chip with 250GB. But I've read that FF XIII looks better on the PS3. If I were to buy a console again (just for one damn game?), what should I do? Which console has the best RPGs and games in general?

I do like the aesthetics of the PS3. I like the black, and I like the controllers more. I've always likes Playstation's controllers. Does the Xbox still suffer from RROD? The Xbox bundle is $400, yet the PS3 250GB is $350 and the game is around $50, so it's basically the same price. But Amazon lists the PS3 120GB as the "newest version."

P.S. Treat me like a complete ignoramous when it comes to modern console gaming. I've always kept my head in computer gaming.

Honestly, the PS2 still has a ton of great role playing games that still look good. If you haven't beaten all of those (or even some of the PS1 titles from back in the day: Xenogears) I'd start there and save yourself a bundle of money.

I own both PS3 and 360, spending about equal time on em. (which is not much, I've been mainly playing PC lately). If I could only keep one, it would be the PS3 simply for the free multiplay and Blu-Ray drive. I have FFXIII on PS3 and it's beautiful to look at, easy to play.

i didnt notice anything different graphics wise from my xbox ff13 compared to my friends ps3 ff13.

Which console has the best RPGs and games in general?

Debatable, it really could go either way depending on your tastes, Sony is of course known for their first party quality and they have an exclusive contract for the next big Rockstar North game Agent, but in terms of RPGs, PS3 has some particularly strong exclusives like Demon's Souls. It won many reviewers RPG of the year in 2009. As you noted, PS3's FF13 was the lead platform. X360 version is sub hd and suffers from heavy FMV compression.

God of War 3 is the most impressive looking action/adventure game on consoles. Gran Turismo 5 is the most impressive looking driving/racing game on consoles. Although Killzone 2's graphics are incredible, overall X360 probably does the FPS genre better.

Does the Xbox still suffer from RROD? The Xbox bundle is $400, yet the PS3 250GB is $350 and the game is around $50, so it's basically the same price.

I believe the latest Xboxes are more reliable than in the past, but few would disagree Sony's hardware has proven to be more reliable this generation.

P.S. Treat me like a complete ignoramous when it comes to modern console gaming. I've always kept my head in computer gaming.

Unlike X360, PS3's online multiplayer network is free. It's got a blu ray player which benefits games and your HT. It uses non proprietary pc hard drives. It's usb compatible and supports the best PC wheels from Logitech.

If you game a lot on PC, a PS3 will offer a wider selection of otherwise exclusive new games. It's what I think of as a traditonal Sony console. X360 seems like a console trying to replace PC.

Yeah, the Blu-ray is a big kicker since I only have a BD/HD-DVD drive in my computer. It'd be nice to watch Blu-rays on the main TV.

So the PS3 can play PSX games?

Get the PS3 version if you want FFXIII. Better graphics and what not. FF series is a staple to the playstation and the game shows between 360 and ps3.

Also, yes the PS3 can play PSX games.

If you're going to get it just for FF13, get the PS3. Limited retail supply and more hardware confidence = easier to sell off later.

FFXIII looks better on PS3.
Plus you get Blu-Ray and free online multiplayer if you ever pick up any of those games.

360 controllers automatically turn themselves off, PS3 don't. Not a huge deal, but my new roommate apparently can't figure out how to turn off the ps3 controller so I'm always picking up a dead controller.

Graphics are a toss up, some are better on the ps3 others better on the 360.

Online is also a toss up with the 360 having more features, but it does cost anywhere from 36-50 a year.

Surprisingly enough I took a look at my game collection and the PS3 almost doubles my 360 collection. Pretty much the only reason I have a 360 is to play with my buddies from college that are out of state.

What is this about the 120GB being the newest version?

http://www.amazon.com/o/asin/B002I0J4VQ/3--20/

The 250GB model is listed as having a release date of November 2009, whereas the 120GB "newest version" is August 2009.

I've lost track of all the PS3 SKUs, but it's possible there have been multiple 120GB versions, and the one listed is the newest. I'm pretty sure there has only been one 250GB SKU so it doesn't get the 'newest' tag.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
360 controllers automatically turn themselves off, PS3 don't. Not a huge deal, but my new roommate apparently can't figure out how to turn off the ps3 controller so I'm always picking up a dead controller.

Your room mate isn't the problem, maybe you should look a little deeper into the system settings ;).

Get the PS3 version if you want FFXIII. Better graphics and what not. FF series is a staple to the playstation and the game shows between 360 and ps3.

Also, yes the PS3 can play PSX games.

FFXIII looks better on PS3.
Plus you get Blu-Ray and free online multiplayer if you ever pick up any of those games.

huh?

any source to back that up?

I been playing it since it came out on PS3, and recently play the 360 on my own machine and I couldn't notice a single difference while I am a eye candy whore...

It was devloped for the PS3 originally. Of course it looks better on the PS3, it's pretty marginal but better none the less.

The PS3 version has uncompressed cut scenes, which are beautiful by the way.

ALSO being a classic PSX RPGer, you might like that FF VII and VIII are available on the PSN Store for 10 a piece. IX is coming soon ;)

GO PS3. I use it more than my 360 lately.

I already own VII and VIII.

I read that the PS3 doesn't support NTFS. Is there a relatively simple workaround for transferring BD rips to it though?

After my bike ride this morning, though, I'm also considering buying a bike. Can't really buy both, heh. Exercise or entertainment?

FF13 will play fine on whatever console you end up getting. I think your best bet is to look at what other games you would like to play on a console and make you choice with that because you can get it on either console. Here is a quick list off the top of my head:

360 Console Exclusives:
Halo 3
Halo Reach
Halo Wars
Halo 3: ODST
Alan Wake
Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Forza 3
Mass Effect 1/2
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Gears of War 1/2
Shadow Complex
Fable II
Crackdown 1/2

PS3 Console Exclusives:
Uncharted 1/2
Metal Gear Solid 4
Killzone 2
Little Big Planet
Infamous
Heavy Rain
Demon Souls
MAG
God of War III
Gran Turismo 5
Resistance 1/2
Valkyria Chronicles

I read that the PS3 doesn't support NTFS. Is there a relatively simple workaround for transferring BD rips to it though?

PS3 has a file size limit of 1GB. I don't have ripped movies so I don't know how big BD-rips are but the limit might come into play.

PS3 has a file size limit of 1GB. I don't have ripped movies so I don't know how big BD-rips are but the limit might come into play.

Whenever I take my PS3 to other places I always copy off a few blu-ray rips that range from 4-20gb to the HDD. That file size limit, if it exists at 1gb, is invisible to the end-user.

PS3 Media Server ftw!

Don't care about Halo. But I do love my Metal Gear, and Demon Souls sounded intriguing when I read about it awhile ago.

It looks like a lot of Xbox titles are also out for Windows, while PS3 titles aren't. That seems to make the decision for me.

I'm into more of the classic RPG scene and didn't like FFXIII much at all. So I wouldn't buy a console for this game alone.

If you want to play Star Ocean 4 you will need a PS3 because the English voice acting is bad enough to make you stop playing the game, and the PS3 and original voices with subtitles. PS3 also has Demon soul and Valkyrie chronicles which have been received very well.

You are missing out on Lost O and Magna carta 2 which I thought where good but not enough to get a Xbox360 over Ps3 at this point.

The basic question comes down to do you want to play online with Xbox live. If you don't then PS3 wins.

Honestly, the PS2 still has a ton of great role playing games that still look good. If you haven't beaten all of those (or even some of the PS1 titles from back in the day: Xenogears) I'd start there and save yourself a bundle of money.

I agree with him!

I went from

Nes - snes - psx - sega saturn - dreamcast - ps2 ---- waited 10 years, then bought a ps3

But nothing compares to the rpgs on the psx :)

Whenever I take my PS3 to other places I always copy off a few blu-ray rips that range from 4-20gb to the HDD. That file size limit, if it exists at 1gb, is invisible to the end-user.

PS3 Media Server ftw!
How do you transfer files to the PS3? If I can transfer BD rips to it and watch them on the big TV, I'm pretty much sold.

How do you transfer files to the PS3? If I can transfer BD rips to it and watch them on the big TV, I'm pretty much sold.

You don't have to transfer files, you can stream them from your PC using tversity or some other programs like it.

I have both systems, PS3 version won me over because it was developed for the PS3 and comes in a single disc. I had to swap discs playing Mass Effect 2 on the 360 and that annoyed the crap out of me.

[EDIT] 360 version comes on 3 discs fyi

Yep, that's how.

Streaming up to 720p over wireless works like a charm but for 1080p you really need to be wired for uninterrupted playback. What's even better is hitting Triangle and copying the movies to your HDD so you can take them with the PS3 to wherever you're headed :D

Debatable, it really could go either way depending on your tastes, Sony is of course known for their first party quality and they have an exclusive contract for the next big Rockstar North game Agent, but in terms of RPGs, PS3 has some particularly strong exclusives like Demon's Souls. It won many reviewers RPG of the year in 2009. As you noted, PS3's FF13 was the lead platform. X360 version is sub hd and suffers from heavy FMV compression.

God of War 3 is the most impressive looking action/adventure game on consoles. Gran Turismo 5 is the most impressive looking driving/racing game on consoles. Although Killzone 2's graphics are incredible, overall X360 probably does the FPS genre better.

I believe the latest Xboxes are more reliable than in the past, but few would disagree Sony's hardware has proven to be more reliable this generation.

Unlike X360, PS3's online multiplayer network is free. It's got a blu ray player which benefits games and your HT. It uses non proprietary pc hard drives. It's usb compatible and supports the best PC wheels from Logitech.

If you game a lot on PC, a PS3 will offer a wider selection of otherwise exclusive new games. It's what I think of as a traditonal Sony console. X360 seems like a console trying to replace PC.

Most biased post I've seen in awhile lol.

Most biased post I've seen in awhile lol.

Seems pretty accurate to me. 360 does do better in FPS, but not by a huge margin.

Also, the PS3 offers much more for a PC gamer. Most 360 "exclusives" end up on PC anyways. The PS3 offers exclusives that rarely ever will land on a PC.

Seems pretty accurate to me. 360 does do better in FPS, but not by a huge margin.

Also, the PS3 offers much more for a PC gamer. Most 360 "exclusives" end up on PC anyways. The PS3 offers exclusives that will never land on a PC.

Fixed. :p

huh?

any source to back that up?

I been playing it since it came out on PS3, and recently play the 360 on my own machine and I couldn't notice a single difference while I am a eye candy whore...

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=18555

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-xiii-face-off

Pretty big difference actually. I'm sure in a double blind test you could see a difference. I've learned from testing stereo components, your memory of how something sounds is not as reliable as comparing back to back, or side by side.

Back