DICE Looking Into BF4 "Death Shield" Bug

Answers so many why the f*ck did my grenade do that and kill me questions.

This perfectly explains all my hardcore mode team kills when tossing a grenade down hallways in Operation Locker. I've seen this happen since I first started playing BF4.

Stupid bugs.

Don't worry guys, these kinds of bugs are usually fixed well before they get out of bet- oh shit...

add me to the "ah ha, that's why" list. I just figured I had lag tossed and gotten the edge of a wall or something. Makes sense now if the hitbox is still standing there.

queue the "impervious meat shield tank" exploiting...

So I was finally going to get back to playing BF4(haven't in a month and a half) since I want to play the new game mode, and then I see this today on hardocp.

Are you fucking kidding me? The game has been out for 6 months and it seems DICE still hasn't sorted out the "shooting" portion of their first person shooter.

I gotta be honest. The only times I've played BF4 lately wasto play as commander and drink beer. Hard not to have fun doing that.

beta testing fail... oh wait... are we sure this was beta tested at all before it went gold?

Financially it makes more sense for the company to have customers pay them to QA their product.

This pair nicely with the double damage bug from a few months ago

Financially it makes more sense for the company to have customers pay them to QA their product.

Not to this extent in the long term, and that would be why the investors got pissed about it.

Blizzard I was mad at over D3 due to the direction of the game, at least it was playable once you got passed the first couple days of launch, and I was willing to give them a second chance with ROS because at least the game functioned correctly.

More of my money going to the battlefield franchise? Nope.Dice and EA are not new to the business. They know what a FPS game is. When the core mechanic of the game(shooting) is so fundamentally flawed, it's never going to be fixed. Frostbite engine issues carried over into BF3 from previous games, and then from BF3 into BF4 except now they've piled more problems on top of it. It's not like Frostbite 3 was made from scratch, it's simply an updated version. To still have the problems and now even more is just unacceptable.Has Dice learned nothing in the past 8 years? Sure as hell seems like they haven't.

Obviously they wanted to beat CoD ghosts out the door, likely with pressure from EA. But at this point you can't even say anymore that the game was rushed and needed another 6 months of development. Dice sucks ass and screwed up. The game will never be fixed(they still can't get core mechanics working right, let alone balance tweaks). Even the console versions have constantly had problems, and those don't have the excuse of running 100 different configurations with different drivers and installed software. The studio is fucking worthless.

This perfectly explains all my hardcore mode team kills when tossing a grenade down hallways in Operation Locker. I've seen this happen since I first started playing BF4.

Stupid bugs.

Karma for nade spamming ;)

Good old EA QA getting paid per ticket reporting only geometry texture audio animation SP-scripting bugs and glitches.

Not to this extent in the long term, and that would be why the investors got pissed about it.

Blizzard I was mad at over D3 due to the direction of the game, at least it was playable once you got passed the first couple days of launch, and I was willing to give them a second chance with ROS because at least the game functioned correctly.

More of my money going to the battlefield franchise? Nope.Dice and EA are not new to the business. They know what a FPS game is. When the core mechanic of the game(shooting) is so fundamentally flawed, it's never going to be fixed. Frostbite engine issues carried over into BF3 from previous games, and then from BF3 into BF4 except now they've piled more problems on top of it. It's not like Frostbite 3 was made from scratch, it's simply an updated version. To still have the problems and now even more is just unacceptable.Has Dice learned nothing in the past 8 years? Sure as hell seems like they haven't.

Obviously they wanted to beat CoD ghosts out the door, likely with pressure from EA. But at this point you can't even say anymore that the game was rushed and needed another 6 months of development. Dice sucks ass and screwed up. The game will never be fixed(they still can't get core mechanics working right, let alone balance tweaks). Even the console versions have constantly had problems, and those don't have the excuse of running 100 different configurations with different drivers and installed software. The studio is fucking worthless.

It won't matter. When BF5 comes out people will run like sheep to buy it on day one and go on about how BF is the best series out there.

how does it work ?

Take it you couldn't even watch the video for this

To be honest I like BF4 and haven't really had any issues....

Unrealistic for sure, what would you guys suggest that is not any slower paced?

wow. that explains a lot. hopefully DICE gets this sorted out quickly.

To be honest I like BF4 and haven't really had any issues....

Unrealistic for sure, what would you guys suggest that is not any slower paced?

I honestly have no idea. The only thing remotely close that comes to mind was UT2k4(or was it 2k3?) that had the game mode with vehicles in it and huge maps. There's also planetside 2, but I'm not going to waste my time with "Freemium" or "pay2win" crap constantly trying to get me to continuously open my wallet.

I wanted to like BF4, and it's fun when it works, but having the core fundamental gameplay aspect still being so broken is just inexcusable.

Imagine if quake had these problems on a LAN and half of your shots simply never registered even though they appeared to on your screen. Is that an exaggeration about the state of BF4? Yes and no. Sure, most of the time shooting works, till you run into a situation where you can dump a 30 round magazine into the back of a player at 5 yards only to get knifed by the same guy while you're reloading.

I bet plenty of sheep will flock right to BF5, I will not.

DICE getting this sorted out quickly? LOL. Even if they could, they'd do it by introducing a handful of new bugs in the process, which has been the pattern for the past 6 months of development on BF4.

Merc1138,

It's amazing to hear you describe exactly the kind of flaws that the recent CoD's suffer from near identically! I never tried BF4 because i tried BF3 and it was absolutely horrid. The UI lagged as bad as the latest CoD's do. Instant turn off. I really wanted to like it as i have fond memories of BF2 on PC.

But alas.. it has also been completely flushed as a series and all (seemingly) because of the fundametals just not working/being buggy as fk! I honestly don't know how studio's can acheive this kind of position. It'd be like me going to work to manufacture something and not actually manufacturing it.. and shipping a box to a customer with some raw materials in it for top doller.. then asking a bit more for a coat of paint after its delivered.

And yet all these retards just keep supporting it. There really needs to be some kind of REAL warranty period with games. 3 Months for full refund. Maybe.. just maybe... all these studio's could be held accountable for their (lack of) actions because they'd actually feel it where it hurts for once and not just have a free ride because you can't tell if it sucks untill you given it a real crack for a while.

wow, it took this 6 months to be figured? tells you a lot about the game and the community, doesn't it hehe :)

Good god .. this game is such a fucking bloated mess even almost 7 months after release. Its really hard to believe that they still are running into game breaking bugs like this and STILL have issues with server stuttering.

Its funny after I sold my PS4 copy and uninstalled my PC copy I almost felt like I should give it another round because when it worked it was a blast.

This just reinforces the reasoning to not bother with the game at all. Very pretty game but a true technical mess. This is the kind of bug I would expect of an indie game not a company dumping over $100+ million into a development like this.

Unfortunately the DMCA makes refunds on NEW opened software illegal, and can only be exchanged for another identical disc if found defective. That being said, I still agree with you. It's sad our rights are being taken away one at a time. Thank god for lobbyists, huh?

I honestly have no idea. The only thing remotely close that comes to mind was UT2k4(or was it 2k3?) that had the game mode with vehicles in it and huge maps. There's also planetside 2, but I'm not going to waste my time with "Freemium" or "pay2win" crap constantly trying to get me to continuously open my wallet.

I wanted to like BF4, and it's fun when it works, but having the core fundamental gameplay aspect still being so broken is just inexcusable.

Imagine if quake had these problems on a LAN and half of your shots simply never registered even though they appeared to on your screen. Is that an exaggeration about the state of BF4? Yes and no. Sure, most of the time shooting works, till you run into a situation where you can dump a 30 round magazine into the back of a player at 5 yards only to get knifed by the same guy while you're reloading.

I bet plenty of sheep will flock right to BF5, I will not.

DICE getting this sorted out quickly? LOL. Even if they could, they'd do it by introducing a handful of new bugs in the process, which has been the pattern for the past 6 months of development on BF4.

I purposely avoid operation locker (CQC) because of the netcode. BF4's issues are not as noticeable on large open maps when you typically engage from 50+ meters.

I totally agree with the comments here though, I've only played Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 4. I thought I'd give BF4 a shot....... as many posted here I don't understand how it's so mauled and my understanding is it's through a couple of the games in the series. Games visually looks good, but they messed up the shooter portion.

I did like Unreal Tournament. That was back in 2007ish... I would love a remake.

I'm going to avoid BF5 if it has the same issues.

I purposely avoid operation locker (CQC) because of the netcode. BF4's issues are not as noticeable on large open maps when you typically engage from 50+ meters.

I totally agree with the comments here though, I've only played Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 4. I thought I'd give BF4 a shot....... as many posted here I don't understand how it's so mauled and my understanding is it's through a couple of the games in the series. Games visually looks good, but they messed up the shooter portion.

I did like Unreal Tournament. That was back in 2007ish... I would love a remake.

I'm going to avoid BF5 if it has the same issues.

The problem is that avoiding close quarters doesn't solve the netcode problems.

You still have RPGs flying in random directions on occasion completely missing a tank from 30 yards. Having half your hits fail to register at a distance just means the enemy knows where you're at and has a chance to return fire. Hell, there's still collision problems in maps allowing players to get into walls and crap where they aren't supposed to be, causing them to be invincible.

I haven't played CoD: Ghosts, but the other recent CoD games haven't had anywhere near the same number of problems as BF4, or had them left as long in the game without getting resolved. CoD has it's own problems with recycled content, tiny maps, and so on, but at least the fundamentals like shooting at other players work for the most part. If they blew that with Ghosts... well that's just dumb.

It goes to show also that server and client synchronization information also has a few problems , where grenades land according to your screen at the preferred destination but in reality drops in front of you.

This is always baffling to me when I encounter this ....

I played a lot through second assault, but the sketchy gameplay has made me stop. I'm premium and will fire it up when the next DLC drops. Maybe it'll be fixed by then..

I dont see how this bug wasnt seen by EA/Dice this is an almost game breaking bug to me.

This bug has to have been introduced in a recent patch.

This should have been way more of an issue on Operation Locker or similar maps/situations.

Just saw this last night and all I can say is Wow just Wow!

DICE what happened to you? oh yeah EA...

I dont see how this bug wasnt seen by EA/Dice this is an almost game breaking bug to me.

Why didn't more people notice it before these guys said something? Everyone just assumed they were doing something wrong and didn't really notice it very well. Most people will just assume they are a bad shot or lag.

Back