DICE Explains Differences Between BF3 PC and Console

This is kind of a slap for the PS3, didn't MAG handle 64 nicely way back when?

I'm not suggesting that DICE should have taken the massive amounts of time necessary to sort out everything for the cell, I'm just pointing out the the dead weight in the XBOX. Well that and the extreme difficulty of writing cell code for the PS3.

MAG did 256 players, but the environments were very static and the game really did not look that great.

Good, maybe finally the console kids can finally STFU and bragging how "superior" their console is.

Can't wait for this game, at least DICE made this game for PC.

... everybody always lumps the 3 (or at least the 2) consoles together, vs the PC.

If you take them one at a time I'm pretty sure the PC holds its own, even with the incorrect current figures.

So should we break down the PC's like that too just because they are made by different companies? Just busting your balls on this but still, they are console and essentially play mostly the same (controler) just like PC's play mostly the same (kb/m).

Pretty sure the PS3 has more players that the Dell PC's :D.

I have a feeling they are making more money from the Mann Co. Supply Crate and the other white crate (the white one is time limited to force you to buy a key before it expires)
I played the game a lot in the last month and found a lot of them, it’s hard to find a key so I bought like 4 keys :D

You guys just do not grasp it..

You want steak at McDonald's prices.
You want continued support and DLC....for free
You want mod tools so you don't have to buy another game for 10 years
You don't want micro transactions

I'm sorry but your way off....how many hours of enjoyment do you get from $15 DLC? Lets say you get 5 (even know it is way more than that), thats $3 an hour, thats nothing.

I personally believe that DICE may get it right on ALL fronts with BF3. PC, Console, DLC, everything....and they will make a fair price for their product. But anything sort of a $10 game with support for the next decade at no additional cost or you guys will shit all over it.

Unfortunatly people aren't going to stop buying these games you like to hate....there is no money in long single player games....and the multiplayer games are starting to make you pay for the longivety of keeping it going....its the way that it is.

Absolutely, 100% agree. However...

...what do you mean "no dedicated servers"? Last I checked, they're allowing dedicated servers, just no private servers.

OK, when I say Dedicated servers, I mean the Valve experience where anyone can download a Windows or Linux tarball - royalty free - and run a game server using it on the machine of their choosing. It could be a server under their desk, or a leased server somewhere.

As part of this mod SDK's are crucial so third party admin tools and game mode customization grow out of the community.

The above, I consider an absolute necessity for any game I play, let alone buy, at least at full price.

I have bought games that don't have the above - on rare occasions - but only once they reach the bargain bin/ steam sale at ~$10 - $15.

Until I come across new games that function like this (Tactical Intervention (Vaporware?) or Red Orchestra 2 maybe?), I'll just happily keep playing Counter-Strike.

Zarathustra[H];1037559277 said:
OK, when I say Dedicated servers, I mean the Valve experience where anyone can download a Windows or Linux tarball - royalty free - and run a game server using it on the machine of their choosing. It could be a server under their desk, or a leased server somewhere.

As part of this mod SDK's are crucial so third party admin tools and game mode customization grow out of the community.

The above, I consider an absolute necessity for any game I play, let alone buy, at least at full price.

I have bought games that don't have the above - on rare occasions - but only once they reach the bargain bin/ steam sale at ~$10 - $15.

Until I come across new games that function like this (Tactical Intervention (Vaporware?) or Red Orchestra 2 maybe?), I'll just happily keep playing Counter-Strike.

And I should add, the above are the base requirements.

There are other things I'd like above that. Like built ground up for DX11 and multithreaded code (not just sprinkled with DX11 fairy dust on top to add a few surface features, and code that spawns a separate process every now and then so it can say its multithreaded.

Wait so is the PC version of BF3 going to have dedicated servers or not?

Diablo 2, Starcraft, Half Life, TF2, CS Source, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout 3, ALL those games made millions, if not billions, and they don't require you to sell out to make that kind of money, a good game should be one that you want to play and possibly return to after beating it? Otherwise, what's the point of buying games full price that are just single servings? There's little incentive to buy it untill it's in the bargain bin or Steam sales.

double-facepalm.jpg

Those are console games you fool, even the first Dragon Age was just barely passable as a PC RPG. It's sad that you consider Oblivion & Fallout 3 to be in the PC quality realm when they're not, everything in those games is console oriented.

Its kind of sad that I can count the games you've mentioned using my fingers on one hand.

You make a poor argument, Blizzard & Valve ARE NOT the entire gaming industry, and Billions of dollars? What kind of dope are you smoking? As successful as they are, they're not near the success that overrated turds like CoD make.

You're also forgetting that Blizzard & Valve basically have blank cheques when it comes to developing games, they fill a niche market for the PC community, but like I said they're not the entire gaming industry.

Not everyone is, or can be like Valve or Blizzard, therefore they have to compromise. Its sad that moronic elitists like you always use Valve and Blizzard as your golden key for arguments. Stop being so naive and look at the entire gaming industry, not just 2 studios. They made their money back when PC was triumphant, and they're reaping the rewards today. Other new studios, or even ones that have been around for awhile struggle.

Others like iD and Epic, both in Valve & Blizzard's class have abandoned the PC market.

I'm sorry but your way off....how many hours of enjoyment do you get from $15 DLC? Lets say you get 5 (even know it is way more than that), thats $3 an hour, thats nothing.

I personally believe that DICE may get it right on ALL fronts with BF3. PC, Console, DLC, everything....and they will make a fair price for their product. But anything sort of a $10 game with support for the next decade at no additional cost or you guys will shit all over it.

Unfortunatly people aren't going to stop buying these games you like to hate....there is no money in long single player games....and the multiplayer games are starting to make you pay for the longivety of keeping it going....its the way that it is.

Oh, we grasp it, and we knw its the way that it is. That doesn't mean it's right. We used to get all of this stuff with great games. The ONLY thing that has changed is developers GREED. Just like with almost every other company in America.

People like you say the customer wants everything for nothing. We, companies want to sell almost nothing for 1000% markup.

I still can't believe there is people out there that defend these companies.

Wait so is the PC version of BF3 going to have dedicated servers or not?
It will have dedicated servers, but they'll be rental-only like BC2. That means no custom maps, no admin removal of "cheap spots" by inserting obstacles or closing up map holes, and very little gameplay customization.

They do it so that they can completely shut the game down whenever they want to and make you buy the next iteration because they've rendered the game you bought useless.

Why don't they develop for the PC first then port it to the console. That way both sides win. The PC version is as good as it can be and the console is as good as it can be.

What pisses people off is when you get a game like oblivion for the PC and the UI totally sucks cause it was made for a console, and have to download mods to fix it.

Zarathustra[H];1037559277 said:

The thing with EA is they will be control freaks because of one thing. Rank. Apparently the majority of gamers care more about someone using a rank up server to get to general faster more than the importance of game play.

They now tell us how we server admins must run out servers.

No, we want steak at steak prices like we had just 6+ years ago. Game corps want us to eat McDonald's at steak prices.

We want patches from the game maker--that's it. If they give us mod tools, they don't need to spend one extra dime on us. We can fix servers, we can fix map exploits, and we can create fun server additions, or alter the server rules as we please when we have dedicated server software.
We want mod tools so we can mod the game. Don't pretend people don't buy other games despite having ones they can mod.
We don't want cancer either. What's your point?

There currently is a war between gamers and game megacorps, and gamers certainly didn't fire the first shot.

So they dumb down the PC version instead? Lead platform my ass, smells more and more of Bad Company 3 with prone...

please don't improve pc graphics of console ports! my brain has been conditioned to processing shitty, blurred, low-res textures and jagged edges of polygons due to a lack of anti-aliasing. i can't handle high-res graphics with 30+ fps and a serious polycount anymore.

My biggest problem is the developers intentionally withholding content from the paid version of the game with in order to release it as paid DLC. DLC content within a week of the release date? Yeah, that's not shady at all.

Back