• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dialup users ignite! I mean unite!

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
2FA
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
14,572
I was just wondering.....
How many, other than me, are using dial up?
I'm not using traditional dial up, mind you, but I might as well be. I use my cell. It just makes too much economical sense ATM, but hoping to get charter cable internet sooner rather than later. I have 3 boxen at home, and the cell and the USB cable go with me from boxen to boxen when it's time to send the work.
I have 4 other boxen borged, which are on broadband (obviously). Anybody else in the same boat, or am I the only non-broadband user left in the universe?
 
I'm not a dialupper, but man, I have to commend you, that [H]ardcore going from box to box doing that.

 
Hey, thanks, but it's not that big of a deal really. I use 2 of my PC's all the time (main and HTPC). I have the command line version running, and when I see that a WO needs to be sent, I connect. The File server though is in the basement, and is rarely touched. I remote into that boxen periodically to see how it's doing, then go downstairs when needed.
 
I know there are a couple people out there who have some, or have some borgs with dial up... i believe Hito was one.. and CF might have had one as well, the memory is a little fuzzy
 
Dial Up? :confused:


O ya thats when My Grandma's Compu-tron makes mad hissing noises at me, when I update her anti-virus . :eek:
 
jebo_4jc said:
The File server though is in the basement, and is rarely touched. I remote into that boxen periodically to see how it's doing, then go downstairs when needed.

Just a suggestion, but so you don't have to remote in, you could always run a program like EMIII to monitor all your boxen from one spot. Information on that can be found in the FAQ.

 
p[H]ant0m said:
Just a suggestion, but so you don't have to remote in, you could always run a program like EMIII to monitor all your boxen from one spot. Information on that can be found in the FAQ.

Yeah thanks for the suggestion. But EM is just another prog to install and run. I remote to my server sometimes anyway to do misc tasks, so I don't mind. Thanks though.
 
DR_K13 said:
Dial Up? :confused:


O ya thats when My Grandma's Compu-tron makes mad hissing noises at me, when I update her anti-virus . :eek:
Ahh....that's more like it. I expected a lot of those comments.

In my own defense: Sprint's data service isn't too shabby. Regular 115k connection, so I do download faster than ole 56k, but it's more prone to dropping signals, etc than voice dials are. As I said though, it's basically free.
 
That's really wanting to send those work units in!

If these machines are networked though, wouldn't it be easier to use ICS and allow them to connect whenever they need to?
 
KodiakStar said:
You cant beat free.... unless you have a baseball bat.
It's especially handy when using a laptop on the road.
And, supposedly, Sprint has made improvements (rumor has it), I'm hoping these improvements will help with the drops.
(If you haven't noticed, I'm reminding myself why cell phone internet is OK, and I don't have to pay for broadband).
 
Still on dialup here. I run an ICS to all my boxes though, so I dont have to run around every time one needs another WU.
 
I have dial-up, because the only broadband avalible here in semi-rual Stafford County is Direcway, which costs $70 a month plus $600 for the dish, which is way too expensive. Yes, I am folding, and I just have it set to ask me before connecting. I also have my Dad's PC folding, but he can't seem to get that he's not supposed to click the "okay" buttong on the "ready to network" box until he's connected to the internet.
 
I feel for you. Back in high school, my parents used to use free dialup here in Singapore. Thing was you still had to pay phone charges. Trying to download was a PITA. Windows XP was never updated etc etc.

They finally got broadband when I went to college so we could do webcam and save on the high cost of calling across the Pacific.

The cable company now is offering 25mbps but its about $70. So I am sitting comfortably on 2mbps now.

Good luck on getting your broadband. :)
 
jebo_4jc said:
I was just wondering.....
How many, other than me, are using dial up?
I'm not using traditional dial up, mind you, but I might as well be. I use my cell. It just makes too much economical sense ATM, but hoping to get charter cable internet sooner rather than later. I have 3 boxen at home, and the cell and the USB cable go with me from boxen to boxen when it's time to send the work.
I have 4 other boxen borged, which are on broadband (obviously). Anybody else in the same boat, or am I the only non-broadband user left in the universe?

You my friend are a freaking animal.......[H]ard Core!

 
Thank goodness I've never had to use dial-up, except for customer boxen. The good folks at Verizon are furiously laying fiber optic cable all over town, here in Fort Wayne. Hitting just about every gas, water, sewage, electric, and cable line ever buried. We are a test market for 100% fiber optic availability. Couple of buds on the inside, tell me the price of a T3+1,200 channel cable+phone will be in the neighborhood of $40 bucks. I'm paying $98 for cable+T1, can't wait to jump ship.

 
And teh sneaker net is still in use today. I love the old tech.



Thats great that your willing to spend that much time doing it. However, you should try and find a faster solution with less steps in it or you may get burned out on it, that or wear out your sneakers.
 
Have you considered running 2 instances of FAH per machine, so that if you don't get to upload the WUs for a bit, the machine can be working on another WU? While it'll double the time to complete a WU, it ensures that you aren't wasting any CPU cycles either...
 
I sneakernet 1 machine. I run 2 clients at once. I set one with the nearest deadline to low and the other to idle, and swap the settings as I sneakernet the WUs off.


The [H]orde needs You!
 
CBR said:
Still on dialup here. I run an ICS to all my boxes though, so I dont have to run around every time one needs another WU.
I dunno why ICS has given me some big time problems in the past.
I might try it again though. I wonder what happens if my cell is not plugged into the "host" PC, and one of the slave PC's need a net connection......
 
Back
Top