DIAF GFWL!

TwistedAegis

[H]F Junkie
So I'm trying to play Arkham City for the first time. Steam requires a key. Then a pop-up requires a key prior to launching the game. Now GWFL needs the key, a 3rd time.

Apparently my GFWL account is locked out; I'm trying to reset the password, which goes through - then when I try to finally sign on, it keeps telling me the captcha's I'm entering aren't right. I've done it about 20 times with letters, 10 times with words...the captcha I type in to reset the password works fine, just not to login. Anyone else had a similar issue? :mad:

I tried playing arkham city a week ago and had similar issues. I wasn't able to login and thus couldn't continue while saving. I haven't fired up the game since then, but i think I will try after work. Apparently steam isn't enough and we have to use GFWL as well which is a huge pain in the ass.

Yes. Shut it all down, reboot, turn off autologin options, try again. GFWL hosed my password due to having an old version of GFWL loaded with autologin turned on.

Yes. Shut it all down, reboot, turn off autologin options, try again. GFWL hosed my password due to having an old version of GFWL loaded with autologin turned on.

I can't even login to the Windows Live homepage, which is where I'm having to input the captchas. I'll try that though.

It's shoddy software. It sucks that 2 of my favorite games use it (Dark Souls/Batman AC), but it's working OK for me now. Or should I say "for now"...

Not much bothers me. I'm not usually one to bitch about most drm but I can't fucking stand GFWL. The patching process is annoying as shit, the log in process takes way longer than it should, the UI is pathetic, the save system has fucked me over, I could go on. I hate it.

So apparently trying to reset your password and log back in is highly suspicious behavior (well it is, but damnit I jumped through all the hoops correctly first) and it won't let me in. Have to go through support, awesome.

sorry GFWL cannot be killed with fire like mere mortals. it's basically impervious since it only exists to tie console games to windows, which means there will always be a legion of casuals who think it's the bee's knees. even though MS never has and never will care about making it work properly, for anyone who doesn't have a "gamertag".

Da fuck?
The day I have to use a captcha to play my games, is the day I quit gaming.
Skipped Arkham City, skipped Dark Souls. Publishers should fucking know fucking better. This has got to stop.

Let us reflect on one young man's experience....
Girlfriend bought Where's Waldo. I can't play it on the same computer she bought it on. I have no idea if this is by design or by defect.

Girlfriend boots up 360 while I'm playing RE5 on GFWL. Oops, signed out, because my tag was set to auto sign-in on 360. The reasoning behind this (prevent account sharers or frauds or whatever) is truly irrelevant to me. It negatively impacts me, so I don't like it.

Patching system is horrendous. With Steam, it auto-detects game patches and downloads them for me. With GFWL, I start the game, login with my gamertag. At this point it's probably been 30-45+ seconds. Oh, wait, game has a patch. Okay, let's patch it. Boom, game boots me out, and downloads and installs the patch. Okay, time to launch the game again. Oh wait, I have to sign in again.

But also, even if GFWL was exactly on par with Steam, why would I use it? I'm already running Steam 24/7. It has the same social functionality. It has achievements. If I wanted to "prevent Steam from gaining a monopoly", wouldn't I be rooting for the little guys, not Redmond, Washington?

And it's not on par. The selection is terrible, they don't have the truly epic sales the other guys have, they don't have any developer outreach in the indie community (with their only indie support being games that are on every other platforms). Efforts to improve the selection would mostly boil down to offering to sell me copies of games that I've already bought on other platforms, and efforts to secure better selection for the future will basically be the same.

Which is another thing. MS needs to stop being so schizophrenic with everything they do. Windows Phone 6.5. No, wait, Windows 7 but we'll still do 6.5. Here's the Kin! The Kin is cancelled! The Zune isn't cancelled but it's clearly not being supported. PC gaming is old, let's fire most of the GFW team, ignore the system for a year or more, and stop porting our games. Wait, now we like PC gaming, how come we don't have a foothold. The browser war is over, time to dismantle IE's team. Oh, no, now people don't use our outrageously shitty browser and developers hate us, I guess we'll set up the IE team again. Outside of MS's most very core products, their reliability for continued support is 0. I would trust some third-tier service like Greenhouse Games over GFW. The problem isn't that I doubt the sincerity of this change in direction, the problem is that I doubt there won't be another change in direction 12-18 months from now.

You say you want arguments for why GFW sucks besides "MS sucks, GFW sucks", but half the arguments for using GFW boil down to "It's Microsoft! And you can talk to your Microsoft friends! And use Microsoft achievements! How are those things better than anyone else's implementation? They're from Microsoft!"

When you say "Mindless rabble when get us nowhere", I disagree. Mindless rabble has worked spectacularly so far. I'm very happy with PC gaming. I'm very happy with Steam. I'm very happy that developers are increasingly abandoning GFWL. Mindless rabble has created an absolutely excellent situation right now. Ignoring the mindless rabble has gotten MS nowhere. Tough break, guys.

GFWL is absolute dogshit. Nothing more, nothing less.
Good luck with that. I went through hell with GTA 4 in the past, but then I stopped buying anything with GFWL on it. My suggestion is to do the same from now on.
DIAF, indeed.

I don't purchase games that use GFWL. I don't purchase Ubisoft games either.

If enough consumers did the same maybe we wouldn't have to put up with the shit companies throw at us.

I don't purchase games that use GFWL. I don't purchase Ubisoft games either.

If enough consumers did the same maybe we wouldn't have to put up with the shit companies throw at us.

But Ubisoft have got a bit better (for now) and have removed their always online crap from most titles. GFWL is still as bad as ever and Microsoft obviously don't give a crap.

GFWL is useless, adds nothing to the experience and is annoying. Buying stuff on Steam and then having to go find some option in the menus to get my additional content (instead of just having it) is annoying. I'm glad DOW2 dropped that crap. now if everyone else would. It doesn't even work as a DRM layer, as you can just play offline... :confused:

Patching system is horrendous. With Steam, it auto-detects game patches and downloads them for me. With GFWL, I start the game, login with my gamertag. At this point it's probably been 30-45+ seconds. Oh, wait, game has a patch. Okay, let's patch it. Boom, game boots me out, and downloads and installs the patch. Okay, time to launch the game again. Oh wait, I have to sign in again.

No... GFWL does not force you to update. You clicked "Yes". Your own fault.

No... GFWL does not force you to update. You clicked "Yes". Your own fault.

Wow, good job responding to a quote from a story.
Reading comprehension fail.

And why are you attempting to defend this horseshit of a "product"? Unbelievable.

In every thread i see about GFWL ... its always unanimous...

I also avoid games with GFWL. I dont need it , i dont want it . I wish it would die , but microsoft wont let it, so were fucked.

I played B:AC for awhile, about 10 hours. Then I got tired of seeing the silly username GFWL gives you (wordiestskate) or something similarly stupid. SO i changed my name. OOPS! now I have to start over because apparently GFWL associates save files with username. I'm not about to start over so now I don't get to finish B:AC.

GFWL is the devil

And why are you attempting to defend this horseshit of a "product"? Unbelievable.

Might make GFWL threads more interesting. It's always everyone saying it's crap. There must be someone out there who likes it...someone...

Hmm... lets try a counter argument... good features about GFWL...

It wont burn down your house. It's free. Erm...if you have an Xbox you don' have to do the same achievements twice...(though you have to buy the games twice, and the DLC twice)
erm...sure there are others! :D

Whats wrong with Microsoft anyway? For them sky is the limit still they insist on dumbed down mediocre software. That's not really how they're going to secure the throne in the future. You have the resources they have theres no excuse for mediocre dumbed down shit.

Back