Diablo 3 Thread

I just started D2 in anticipation of D3, and am enjoying it. Although I have no idea, as a barbarian, how to spec, or even what types of gear to watch out for. I basically just wear whatever looks like it doesn't cater to caster classes. Also, should i play through the single player first before failing online?

Dont bother with single player, you can play single player online on bnet in passworded games then have all u earned to carry in to multiplayer games.

Dont worry about your first char though, you will screw it up. If you play much youll have like 10 revisions of that character.

First big lesson though is to have as little strength and dex as possible, none in energy EVER unless you are an energy shield sorc. Vitality is the most important. As you get better gear you end up rebuilding charcters to take some out of str and dex to have more and more for vit. Look up skill builds online if you want to not suck.

I just started D2 in anticipation of D3, and am enjoying it. Although I have no idea, as a barbarian, how to spec, or even what types of gear to watch out for. I basically just wear whatever looks like it doesn't cater to caster classes. Also, should i play through the single player first before failing online?

The beauty of D2 is that it doesn't matter. Most people ended up having multiple versions of all the classes. It's not like WOW where it pidgeonholes you into one or a few characters.

Just play to bash baddies in.

I'll play the monk. He looked bad ass in that preview video of him.

I hope they build a better Battlenet interface and that the game isn't subscription based.

That actually sounds good, no more pickit bots grabbin the runes before I see them. Just hope they have the ol creative D2 teams making the crayz items, not those WoW scrubs.

Last I heard, high quality items might have purple text. Apparently, the shade of the color was good for color-blind people to distinguish quality difference rather than the yellow Rares and gold Uniques like in D2. This isn't a good sign for the future of items.... :D

After recently reviewing the WD's skill trees i find him to be yet an underpowered character. I think i'll probably play it safe on my first character and maybe go Wizard on my first playthrough so as to amass the most loot in the least amount of time. Also i was thinking you could probably make a killer (mind the pun) boss runner with the Wizard; cast your slow time on the boss, tele out and use magic missles or disintegrate on the boss + arcane weakness = owned in the @$$.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Wizard_skills

One thing i am wondering is are the new skills maxed out at level 5 or can you up them to level 20 like in D2, from the wiki page it appears they can only max out at level 5?

I really dont want to read about it. Release this already! :)

I hope they dont screw this game up tho, if they do it correctly like dare I say similar to Diablo2, It may be one of the biggest games when its released. /me crosses fingers.

For sure, i already made my choices on when i build my barb. From the skill tree they have designed now he's gonna be a friggin hoss the whole game from level 1-x : D, pvp and pvm.

O man o man, this build for barb is crazy awesome if the proc's stack like they should.

Good characters already have their entire gear setup picked out before they are made. Since you are just starting out you will not be able to do that, so your character will more than likely not be that good.

The general rule of thumb is that you want JUST enough strength to wear your items, and enough dexterity to achieve 75% block; rest in vitality. Since you are just finding gear as you go this will be hard to plan. Try and not spend all of your points though so you can have some saved up for if you need 10 or 20 str/dex to wear an item.

Cookie cutter barbarian build: Maxed out whirlwind, battle orders, sword or axe (whichever you prefer, I think Axes are better though due to some of the runewords and how whirlwind range and # of hits is calculated) specialization.

For low level gear just try and get high damaged weapons and try to get some life and mana leech, it makes the game much more enjoyable. Sigon's pieces are awesome on low level characters, and Cathan's rings are nice for 6% life leech.

The barb i'm building in D3 is not gonna have any stats in WW most likely. I can tell you why but i don't wanna give away the build : P, but here's a hint i did some calculations and with 10 dmg if my proc.s come into effect and stack with the crit they provide then it can give him up to 79 dmg as long as they keep being recycled before duration elapses (they should because the ias will be something like 75% constant), i still have some tweaking to do as this wouldn't involve any upper tier skills yet : P.

Ya its almost pointless talking about that kinda stuff until its released anyways.....

Remember, im sure it will be similar to diablo2. Some chars abilities were so unbalanced and glitchy when it was first released. I mean, ive replayed diablo2 online many many times. They have been releasing patches to skills and updates up until what like, 2008? lol. I dont know when d2 was released but, that is like what, 8 years or something?

After D3 is released. Im sure itll take another few years or more to iron everything out. I am not saying its a bad thing though. I suppose this is to be expected.

Lots of people still play diablo2. I am amazed how long its had players and been supported by Blizzard(One of the reasons I love blizzard).

I just read something disturbing. It seems you won't be able to allocate your character stats... only allocation of your skill tree stats is allowed in D3.

"Stats/Attributes
It's no longer possible to choose where to enter your own stat points. They will be automatically assigned every time you level up. The customization that this brought in Diablo II is now going to be moved to itemization among other ways. Have a look what kind of secondary attributes are influenced by the initial stats/attributes Strength, Dexterity, Vitality and Willpower."

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_Basics#Skills

I just read something disturbing. It seems you won't be able to allocate your character stats... only allocation of your skill tree stats is allowed in D3.

"Stats/Attributes
It's no longer possible to choose where to enter your own stat points. They will be automatically assigned every time you level up. The customization that this brought in Diablo II is now going to be moved to itemization among other ways. Have a look what kind of secondary attributes are influenced by the initial stats/attributes Strength, Dexterity, Vitality and Willpower."

http://www.diablowiki.net/Diablo_3_Basics#Skills

Yep, that is old news and it stinks. It was fun having a lot of control over your character and creating different stat based builds. Maybe in DIablo 4, skills will be auto assigned and then in 5, items will be auto assigned. Heck why play at all. They should just have bots running around.

Yep, that is old news and it stinks. It was fun having a lot of control over your character and creating different stat based builds. Maybe in DIablo 4, skills will be auto assigned and then in 5, items will be auto assigned. Heck why play at all. They should just have bots running around.

I'm pretty sure that decision was made since it was tried and true in WOW. It's been done in other games and have proven not to suck, so don't hate.

Ya I did not know that. That is pretty damned disappointing....What are they thinking. That just makes the builds more linear..... : /

Why do they always feel the need to change stuff that "worked".

Because they want to attract more of an audience, they feel that by nerfing the characters and creating a easier less thoughtful character base they can attract these non-1337 players and thus increase their revenue streams. I think they're going the way of IW here.

I'm also upset with their decision to allow for skill reallocation, i mean common what are we 5. Let's grow up people, opportunity cost is something all of us were taught at a young age...

Ya I did not know that. That is pretty damned disappointing....What are they thinking. That just makes the builds more linear..... : /

Why do they always feel the need to change stuff that "worked".

The dev team has stated that this will increase the versatility in gear players can wear, which gives way more customization than stat points would. I personally am skeptical about it, but it seems with the skill runes and other things it's going to be even more customizable than D2.

I don't read any of the D3 news anymore since i'll just be teasing myself, this game won't be out for a couple of years.

Will probably go spell caster, since i'm guessing they won't be as item dependent at the start like a melee character would.

I'm pretty sure that decision was made since it was tried and true in WOW. It's been done in other games and have proven not to suck, so don't hate.

It also worked well in Diablo 2. The more options to customize a character, the better.

Last edited:
Javazon + frost nova mage for cow levels.

We used to use that combo (me and 2 otjher friends played eachothers accounts constantly) and we would take a char from lvl 1 to 99 in less than a day. You can literally do a entire cow level in like 2 mins. Just have the sorc get the leg make the level pop in kill some, then leave the game to start getting the leg on the next game so by the time the "levelee" gets there the portal is already up. Man thoose were teh days lol.

I still have dreams...no make that nightmares about meph runs.

Until they nerfed the cow level. Lol.

Them meph runs bring back memories... Man I remember every time meph is about to die my heart would jump in anticpation, and then a useless green breast plate drops. But dam those were the days!

I remember doing super fast Meph runs with a friend of mine. He had a Paladin with the Conviction Aura, and I had a Firewall Sorceress. A few Static Fields would just cut Meph's health to the bone, and 1-2 firewalls killed him in a second. MF runs were so addicting. O_O

The dev team has stated that this will increase the versatility in gear players can wear, which gives way more customization than stat points would. I personally am skeptical about it, but it seems with the skill runes and other things it's going to be even more customizable than D2.

Increase the versatility in gear players can wear? You could wear anything you wanted in Diablo 2 provided you had the stat points for it, does it get anymore versatile?

The dev teams lately on games are f*cking retarded...

Let's sit around and think up ways to piss off our fan base : D

The old ways of gaming are long gone. It is all about instant gratification nowadays.

And about loss of intelligence or so it seems. Don't these game dev's realize that you don't piss off your target audience... if you wanna change something about a game that's fine, but how about some common F***ing sense people and do a little market research first? (sorry venting about MW2 and this at same time)

This is starting to look like a no-buy like MW2. Why change something good? I'd be happy with updated D2 graphics, and a storyline that builds upon the Diablo 2 storyline.

I don't get it what everyone has against not having to start a new character if you fucked up or just want to change your play style, it was a waste of time and it wasn't fun, they are fixing it and everyone is bitching about it.

I don't get it what everyone has against not having to start a new character if you fucked up or just want to change your play style, it was a waste of time and it wasn't fun, they are fixing it and everyone is bitching about it.

Exactly.

Every time I fucked up a build, I'd have to waste hours and hours lvling my char again just so I could get the build correct. It was a stupid waste of time.

I was never that hardcore in to this. I think I'll just pick one and chug through it then start over if I find one I like better. I worked so hard on my EQ characters that I'm never going to do that again.

It was nice in Diablo2 having an active low-level scene from all of the remakes. Newbies could join in and still have people to interact with, etc.

That's about the only plus, though. Especially if they make D3 where you cannot rush through the game, it would be quite miserable not having respec. That's the main reason they're taking out the points, so that you can respec your character into something else and just get new gear, not have to worry about the points. They have added the skill runes which are awesome, and said they are working on another system to add that replaces the lost customization from the stat points.

I personally cannot wait. I don't see why people think taking out stat points is abandoning it's roots. That isn't the case at all, it's minor and probably will work out with their other plans quite well. The whole point of D2 was trading for the best items; and they have guaranteed that the items will not bind to character, and trading and building the ultimate character will once again be the cornerstone. Sounds good so far, let's wait til some actual info is released about the game before you guys talk about boycotting :rolleyes:

It also worked well in Diablo 2. The more options to customize a character, the better.

Well as you can see from some comments the inability to respec caused a lot of headache. I know it did for myself.

Obviously the middle ground would be to offer adjustable stats with a respec option.

However, I think the underlying reason is going to be balance. It's hard to balance the whole game when someone can dump every point into dexterity.

But the people who are saying that this decision is likened to MW2, now that's just silly.

Yeah other than the all VIT/all DEX builds (PvM or PvP), I don't really see much of a loss here. If anything it's probably more detrimental to PKers, since everyone, barring huge item bonuses, have similar HP/energy *assuming* similar levels. You won't see the wild variations we see now in D2

CTA on switch, max HP, so after buff PvP characters have 2x-4x HP of PvM characters. So yeah, my impression is that this was more of a stab to the PKing community than anything else.

Gotta make a blizz sorc for MF first, duh. It's gonna be the first ladder of a new game!

Javazon is next. Man, they owned so badly.

And I'll probably take a day off work. Or two, or three . . .

Hm, i'd be ok with the skill respec if you had to top out your character before you could respec it.

Back