Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I just started playing again after a looong hiatus. Playing softcore.

How can I tell what runes do what type of elemental damage? It's not obvious unless it says in the skill itself that it does "lightning bolts" or something

When you go to pick the Runes for each skill, it indicates what type of elemental damage it is on each Rune.

When you go to pick the Runes for each skill, it indicates what type of elemental damage it is on each Rune.

Ok, I guess it still isn't clear to me unless I'm missing something obvious. If the Rune description does not explicitly describe an element, is it assumed to be Physical? Or does the header background indicate the element (blue lightning bolts, green poison, red flames, etc)

For instance, Bolas. There's a rune for Poison, Lightning and Fire. Bitter Pill and Volatile Explosives do not mention an element, are they Physical? Are all "Fan of Knives" skill runes Physical, since they don't mention an element?

Last edited:
Ok, I guess it still isn't clear to me unless I'm missing something obvious. If the Rune description does not explicitly describe an element, is it assumed to be Physical? Or does the header background indicate the element (blue lightning bolts, green poison, red flames, etc)

For instance, Bolas. There's a rune for Poison, Lightning and Fire. Bitter Pill and Volatile Explosives do not mention an element, are they Physical? Are all "Fan of Knives" skill runes Physical, since they don't mention an element?

Each skill usually says "X% damage as physical/poison/etc." in the description, or, failing that, will at least have a colored background graphic - yellow for holy damage, green for poison, red for physical, blue for cold, etc.

it'll say it when you mouse over the skill or rune, it's under the title of the skill, it will also be color coded.

In addition to what nearsite suggested I'd also change out Sentry for Cluster arrow - if you're focusing on physical there's a physical cluster arrow rune. Use Cluster Arrow as your main hatred spender. At the moment it's pretty much the only good hatred spender DH has. I wouldn't use Sentry until you have the 6 piece Marauder set.

I'd probably also switch out rain of vengance or fan of knives for the wolf companion. you only need one of those, but if you keep fan of knives I'd switch the rune to pinpoint accuracy.

My gear right now gives me a large boost to Fan of Knives (46% total), I'd much rather cluster arrow since FoK puts me in harms way too much

My drops are terrible right now, even in a party doing rift runs. I have two of the Marauder's set already but the at rate of my drops have been lately, I'll never finish this or Natalya's :p

Enable advanced tool tips.

THIS is what I needed, thanks!

just thought id share my wds, one pet and one jade
i just really started playing the jade build, was waiting for a cold soj which i finally got.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kushy-1949/hero/40758530

currently trying to get new jade gloves with vit instead of armor and topazes to upgrade for the sockets.
i have over 1000 of every other gem but no topazes, because you know its impossible for me to reroll crit damage on my ammies.

Picked up ROS recently and started a Crusader. I've just finished my first playthrough and am about level 45. Can someone give me a 60 second noob's guide to what to do next? I've done 5 bounties which let me into a rift which I cleared, though that took a bit of effort. Anything else to it or repeat ad infinitum? I could play nightmare I guess but I hear there's a lot of other farming to be done.

My gear right now gives me a large boost to Fan of Knives (46% total), I'd much rather cluster arrow since FoK puts me in harms way too much

My drops are terrible right now, even in a party doing rift runs. I have two of the Marauder's set already but the at rate of my drops have been lately, I'll never finish this or Natalya's :p

I am currently wearing the Death Watch Mantle on my DH that gives me fan of knives as a bonus,
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zepher-1253/hero/48061290

I am using Natalya's set at the moment but I am still trying to find the Marauder set as well as a RoRG.
new patch is going to make Natalya even nicer with 2sec/enemy killed cool down bonus, right now it's 1sec/enemy.

Picked up ROS recently and started a Crusader. I've just finished my first playthrough and am about level 45. Can someone give me a 60 second noob's guide to what to do next? I've done 5 bounties which let me into a rift which I cleared, though that took a bit of effort. Anything else to it or repeat ad infinitum? I could play nightmare I guess but I hear there's a lot of other farming to be done.

Well to be honest, there is adventure mode, which you are doing, (bounties), then rifts like you said ad infinitum. The difficulties are not the same as vanilla, and you should probably have been adjusting them through the campaign mode. The torment difficulty has a slider bar at the bottom for six adjustments to the torment mode. Typically when I play a new toon through the campaign, I end up around 55 to 60ish because I only play normal through like the first or second quest. But essentially, yes, it is just rinse and repeat for loot. I do like to group kill stuff and the new patch on the PTR is interesting as well, (love the goblin zone)...

If you don't have any one to power level you to 70, just do bounties until level 70 (at the highest difficulty you can easily do), save all your rift fragments (you get the most exp from bounties). I guess if you get really bored of bounties you can do a rift to change things up but I'd only do that at level 61+ so any legendary you get can be turned to a Forgotten Soul. Then when you're 70...you keep doing it. But you'll switch to mainly doing rifts until you're out of fragments and then only do Act 1 bounties for a Ring of Royal Grandeur (and more fragments) so you can repeat the process...

What I do to get my new characters to high levels faster is save a weapon or two that has a really high level reduction, preferably with a socket to slap a large Ruby into it for added damage. I have a level 60 weapon with a 27 level reduction and had a large red ruby in it.
It allows you to play more difficult levels to level up faster if you are playing solo.
I'll switch to Master difficulty when I get to lvl 33 and equip that weapon.

I also have a couple of level 70 weapons with 23 level reduction and I'll swap to one of those when I hit lvl 47.

Thanks, that's helpful. Been playing at hard but will try master. Probably bounties. When people say t1/t2/twhatever rifts, they mean torment 1 / torment 2 etc right?

The advertisements in this game have gotten to the point of absurdity.

I can't even hold a decent conversation with someone in /1 General because the damn things fill up the entire chat window.

Also. they are advertising Gold, Power Leveling, Paragon Leveling, ITEMS ect.

WHat the hell? I thought Actiblizzard told us they didn't want this in Diablo 3?! What the F*&k happend?! Whoever said that and made us believe that, needs to be fired.

This is exactly what killed Diablo 2 for me, its 2001 all over again :mad:

I can't even hold a decent conversation with someone in /1 General because the damn things fill up the entire chat window.

WHat the hell? I thought Actiblizzard told us they didn't want this in Diablo 3?! What the F*&k happend?! Whoever said that and made us believe that, needs to be fired.

There is really no way to stop it.

as far as i know there is no way to buy items or gold from a website, so that is most likely just a scam.

there are websites that offer power leveling and accounts for sale but anyone who spends their real money on that is pathetic.
especially with communities like rif, where you can get to level 70 in no time.

not much you can do besides stay away from general chat.
there are plenty of community chats with admins.

Why the hell are you going into general chat? There's absolutely no reason to join the channels as provided by Blizzard

Why the hell are you going into general chat? There's absolutely no reason to join the channels as provided by Blizzard

What other chat communities can I join that are worthwhile? Is there still a Hardforum Community for Diablo 3?

Last edited:
is there any word on when the new patch will be out?

I want to jam though some HC ladders.

There is really no way to stop it.

as far as i know there is no way to buy items or gold from a website, so that is most likely just a scam.

there are websites that offer power leveling and accounts for sale but anyone who spends their real money on that is pathetic.
especially with communities like rif, where you can get to level 70 in no time.

They trade gold using Dyes.

Definitely looking forward to HC ladders, I can't wait. I'm not sure what class to play through it as though. Go with the familiar (monk/wd), the survivable (monk/wd!), or something new? Cant decide.

Ermm.. but dont they lose pretty much a huge fraction of gold by just purchasing the dyes to sell? What is the re-sell values for dyes?

Doesn't matter. Think about it logically, if there is no other way to transfer gold, and this is a method to transfer gold, they are still able to make a profit via bucking the system. Any gold loss on the part of the seller is irrelevant since there is no alternative method.

I should set up a gold selling site. Sheesh! Got a few billion that I have lying around doing nothing. How much does gold go for nowadays? Sounds like a huge pain for buying dyes and dropping on the floor haha.

I should set up a gold selling site. Sheesh! Got a few billion that I have lying around doing nothing. How much does gold go for nowadays? Sounds like a huge pain for buying dyes and dropping on the floor haha.

I could use a small donation. I keep running out of gold.

I haven't used general chat in a multi player game since probably the days of EQ. Why anyone would is beyond me.

You can't trade gold or drop it anymore. It's been that way for a long time.

Damn this game is annoying sometimes. I keep getting RROG's on my regular mode characters, but have literally gotten every single legendary from Act 1 bounties EXCEPT the RROG on my hardcore character. Meh.

How are the WD pets in the PTR? When my pets decide it's time to actually do something I kill pretty quickly, but a lot of the time they are just standing around or dancing :D :(

How are the WD pets in the PTR? When my pets decide it's time to actually do something I kill pretty quickly, but a lot of the time they are just standing around or dancing :D :(

Much better on PTR. There are still times when they sit around doing nothing, or go after the one mob you don't want them to chase.

Much better on PTR. There are still times when they sit around doing nothing, or go after the one mob you don't want them to chase.

Sometimes I feel like the pet build isn't really that great against crowds/mobs because of that issue. Really good versus rift guardians/bosses though since they usually have enough time to crowd around and attack.

Random question, but does the bonus to Fetish Army count towards those spawned by the passive or only the active skill?

Alright, so only way to increase their damage is through +physical damage.

Back