Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I'd drop ashearas set, but that's just me, switch it for aughilds.
Socket in the helm with a diamond in it.
Crafting some reapers wraps would allow you to spam fist of the heavens a lot more.

Right on, thanks.

Why switch to the aughilds though? Just curious.

All that great gear, and a meh yellow amulet with no physical damage?

why would i choose physical damage over crit damage?

i have lege ammies with elemental damage + crit chance in my stash but i choose to use crit damage since its better for fetish.

plus im trying to find a nice ammy with a socket for 2.1

Right on, thanks.

Why switch to the aughilds though? Just curious.
Because the elite bonii on Aughild's are far more useful than the paltry AR and unique ability you get from Asheara's. Elite damage bonus is hard to come by in your slots beyond SoJ and Aughild's, and you want to go with emeralds in your weapons over diamonds. My current equipment gives me 44% bonus damage against elites and 25% damage reduction from elites, and without them I don't think I could do T4 at this point. Combined with my elemental and skill bonii, I am critting elites for 30m+ damage on my barbarian right now with 810,000 buffed sheet DPS.

Because the elite bonii on Aughild's are far more useful than the paltry AR and unique ability you get from Asheara's. Elite damage bonus is hard to come by in your slots beyond SoJ and Aughild's, and you want to go with emeralds in your weapons over diamonds. My current equipment gives me 44% bonus damage against elites and 25% damage reduction from elites, and without them I don't think I could do T4 at this point. Combined with my elemental and skill bonii, I am critting elites for 30m+ damage on my barbarian right now with 810,000 buffed sheet DPS.

Awesome, thanks for the explanation.

why would i choose physical damage over crit damage?

i have lege ammies with elemental damage + crit chance in my stash but i choose to use crit damage since its better for fetish.

plus im trying to find a nice ammy with a socket for 2.1

Well the goal is to have *both* elemental (Physical) and crit damage on each piece that can have those stats. Then your fetishes will be hitting for max damage :D

Here is my WD, I backed off playing for a bit until 2.1 hits:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ocellaris-1324/hero/42944548
(Normally has a +Physcial Stone of Jordan for the first ring, that Larceny ring was for farming)

So here is my Monk. I'm stuck on T1 or is that about right for my stats? I can slowly make my way through T1 but T2 was just brutally slow.

So here is my Monk. I'm stuck on T1 or is that about right for my stats? I can slowly make my way through T1 but T2 was just brutally slow.

T1 is about right. Sockets in your weapons for crit damage first and crit chance on both your rings will help a ton.

Look into upgrading the amulet too. A rare amulet with dex, crit chance, and crit damage would be way better. But obviously one with element dmg%, dex, crit chance, and crit dmg would be the main goal even if it's a rare.

Well the goal is to have *both* elemental (Physical) and crit damage on each piece that can have those stats. Then your fetishes will be hitting for max damage :D

Here is my WD, I backed off playing for a bit until 2.1 hits:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ocellaris-1324/hero/42944548
(Normally has a +Physcial Stone of Jordan for the first ring, that Larceny ring was for farming)

well when i find a ammy with both i will use it xD
i have the worst luck with ammies.

I was gambling them for quiet a while and only found one worth keeping.

I did find a nice countess julias necklace
but it rolled with 15% cold, intel, attack speed, and 8.5 CC
im holding on to it for my jade doc.

But what im trying to understand is once 2.1 is live
are the main stats you're going to want
elemental, crit chance, crit damage, and socket?
rerolling your main stat, intel for me, for a socket?

Last edited:
T1 is about right. Sockets in your weapons for crit damage first and crit chance on both your rings will help a ton.

Look into upgrading the amulet too. A rare amulet with dex, crit chance, and crit damage would be way better. But obviously one with element dmg%, dex, crit chance, and crit dmg would be the main goal even if it's a rare.

That is about what I thought. Crit chance ups my sheet damage a ton but I'm having crappy luck with gear. I can switch out to a scourge that I have socketed and it ups my dps about 20k but found that Shen longs so wanted to give DW a chance again. Really been trying to get fire damage and CDR on my gear so I can keep Epiphany up as much as possible. Its synergizes with TR and just looks badass as I fly across the screen.

Tried out a Greater Rift tonight on the PTR and it was good fun. My silly Angry Chicken WD was able to get to Level 20 before stuff just took too long to kill and I missed the timer.

Much like regular rifts you can certainly get screwed by RNG when it comes to monster set and monster density. I beat L16 with only 7 seconds to spare because I had to run back through the level searching for enemies, but then I crushed L17 with nearly 5 minutes remaining. L20 was just a mass of Exarcs, Anarchs, and Corrupted Angels zipping around the screen and taking me forever to kill. On my second tour through a Grift I used my Archon Wiz and even the first couple of super-easy Levels (it's like playing on normal difficulty when you begin) took me a while because I was running through 9 stages trying to kill stuff to spawn the Guardian...

I picked up around 10 of the new legendary gems and probably wasted 10M+ just trying to get a socket on my ring to no avail, so I've yet to actually use one. I did find a couple of socketed rings but unfortunately they weren't usable; I did notice that the socket was rolled as a secondary stat, however, so that's nice. When I had the opportunity to level up a gem after the L20 Grift fail, I was giving a 50% chance which...failed, and I got nothing. Great. But yeah, we're going to seriously NEED gold in 2.1.

Yeah I have a few friends on PTR and they said the next patch will be awesome. I cannot wait to try it.

OK so I'm not sure where to really go from here. I found a sexy as fuck SoJ this weekend (pretty much max roll on everything), but not sure what exactly to do now. I can do group play T3 pretty much no problem since my archon cool down is like 60 seconds or so I think. That said, I don't think I would do that well playing solo T3, just don't seem to be able to do much outside of archon. (MM's do about 2.5-3 million damage each). I guess a new amulet would be nice. Any recommendations?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Krieg1337-1699/hero/10289552

OK so I'm not sure where to really go from here. I found a sexy as fuck SoJ this weekend (pretty much max roll on everything), but not sure what exactly to do now. I can do group play T3 pretty much no problem since my archon cool down is like 60 seconds or so I think. That said, I don't think I would do that well playing solo T3, just don't seem to be able to do much outside of archon. (MM's do about 2.5-3 million damage each). I guess a new amulet would be nice. Any recommendations?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Krieg1337-1699/hero/10289552

Upgrade all of your gems to the max.

Drop conflagration, put illusive passive. Drop the magic weapon and familiar and put in tornado (gale) and illusions (4 way). Gale adds 15% fire damage, plus the 5% from elemental exposure, plus spellsteal, plus whatever damage your illusions do.

Oh, and gale 15% stack. Illusions also cast blackhole and gale.

You have a t5+ capable char....albeit you're fragile as hell, but you can dps, easy.

Yes, you need better ammy, but that comes with time.

The build feels kind of odd with Archon, only because Archon gets rid of all the illusions and doesn't really benefit much from it. My survivability did go up a bit though since the mirror images help control the crowd/elites.

I am working on the gems, just takes a while since I never really had much gold to start with.

Okay, so I am pretty new to D3 and would really like some advice on what to look for when trying to find better equipment. Specifically, I have a level 70 Barbarian and Crusader that my friend helped power level me to. Now I understand generally such as obviously when comparing equipment stats that are in the green are usually better, but I am curious about some other things.

What exactly do the large numbers near the top of the stats represent? I have seen some lower numbers but according to stats such as strength and toughness they say they are better.

I think I like playing my Barbarian more than my Crusader due to play style. Should I say, go by this list copy the items down and just look for those?

I also realize there can be different builds, how is the best way to find out what builds there are and what equipment is best for it?

Any other good rules of thumb when looking for good equipment?

Honestly I usually just google "diablo 3 *insert class* builds". Then I look for more recent ones and check them out. But it really is about the gear if you want to start playing higher torment levels. Torment 1 you can still get by with random stuff/abilities, which is good since that is where you will most likely find most of your set-pieces. Just put whatever you can't seem to find a use for right now in your chest(legendaries and set-pieces only, unless you have some really good yellows you want to keep for future characters). Eventually you will have a ton of shit in there that you can put together to make a better build. I didn't have any set pieces and was struggling with T1, then I found like 6 pieces the one day and had no trouble with T1 anymore.

Hmm...So even if some legendary/set pieces aren't good for my character I should still put them away? Also, how do you get a link to your characters in the D3 site?

Some legendaries are just complete garbage and you can throw them out, but some might be useful in the future. I would look at that page you posted, just check out the gear they show. Also, do google some builds to see what type of gear they recommend. Usually they will tell you what to look for on each piece of gear. Generally Crit chance, crit damage and elemental damage are good on most gear. I don't really have the best advice on gear though.

To get your character log in on battlenet and then choose diablo 3. Once you get into that section you should see your name, profile name and view profile off on the right side of the screen. Just click on view profile, click on your character and copy the link.

I am working on the gems, just takes a while since I never really had much gold to start with.

Your money problems will be short lived I think. Once the PTR patches hit live, the treasure goblin realms will fill your coffers. I was doing T2 solo speed bounties on test, hit a treasure goblin realm, and I think I made close to 20 million from that short zone, not including any equipment, just breaking the vases.

Some legendaries are just complete garbage and you can throw them out, but some might be useful in the future. I would look at that page you posted, just check out the gear they show. Also, do google some builds to see what type of gear they recommend. Usually they will tell you what to look for on each piece of gear. Generally Crit chance, crit damage and elemental damage are good on most gear. I don't really have the best advice on gear though.

To get your character log in on battlenet and then choose diablo 3. Once you get into that section you should see your name, profile name and view profile off on the right side of the screen. Just click on view profile, click on your character and copy the link.

Legendary changes will not be retroactive, from what I understand.

Hmm...So even if some legendary/set pieces aren't good for my character I should still put them away?

I would say that depends on the items. For instance, I continually get the WD set items that affect the zombie wall skill, which I will probably never use in game, so I just salvage them. I only know that though from playing and reading and such. I read the guides about builds, but I generally use my own take on the builds. There was a pretty good beginning guide link posted a few pages back that kind of went into equipment stat breakdown and how some of the elemental boosts are just better than a few extra points of main stats.

Legendary changes will not be retroactive, from what I understand.

For certain ones, like the new class specific armors, it will be last I checked. But a level 70 "old" set piece is still going to be better than yellows or some random legendaries at first.

For certain ones, like the new class specific armors, it will be last I checked. But a level 70 "old" set piece is still going to be better than yellows or some random legendaries at first.

Sets are sets, I don't really put those in the same box as legendary items.

I would say that depends on the items. For instance, I continually get the WD set items that affect the zombie wall skill, which I will probably never use in game, so I just salvage them. I only know that though from playing and reading and such. I read the guides about builds, but I generally use my own take on the builds. There was a pretty good beginning guide link posted a few pages back that kind of went into equipment stat breakdown and how some of the elemental boosts are just better than a few extra points of main stats.

I've got full Helltooth and the 6 piece bonus is just embarrassing; the Zombie Wall spews poison for like 300% damage, yet the skill itself is a physical skill with no other elemental options. The poison also doesn't stack, so even if you can spam the wall (which I can since I have it on 3 second cooldown + Grave Injustice) there is no benefit to doing so beyond having a bunch of low-damage Zombie Walls out there.

It's the kind of thoughtless design that has been maddeningly prevalent throughout the life of the game, as if the people designing the items have no idea how the game actually works. I mean, there are lousy legendary items out there and I guess I can understand that you can't always win 'em all, but Helltooth is one of only 2 WD class sets, and it's a 6-piece set to boot; how the hell does it make it out of beta with a 6-piece bonus that not only features a ho-hum skill, but then doesn't even really do anything to make that skill worth using? 2-piece Blackthorne's is better than 6-piece Helltooth.

One of 3 WD sets you mean, there are the Zunimassa and the Jade Harvester sets that are WD specific as well... :D

One of 3 WD sets you mean, there are the Zunimassa and the Jade Harvester sets that are WD specific as well... :D

Damn! I was thinking of 6-piece sets! >_>

In other news, they're finally going to change 2H weapons in patch 2.1. Here's what we know so far:

We’ve been discussing 2-Hander buffs for a while now. Right now on live, 2-Handers are almost always less powerful than dual-wielding 1-Handers for a few different reasons, and we wanted to rebalance them for Patch 2.1. We had two options to address the issue:

1) Make new 2-Hander passives and buff existing 2-Hander passives for Barbarian, Monk, Witch Doctor, and Wizard.

2) Buff all 2-Handed weapons baseline and adjust Heavenly Strength accordingly.

After trying both options out internally, we decided to go with option 2. This solution has two desirable benefits: 1) it’s immediately noticeable to all players when they pick up a 2-Hander and see the DPS number both significantly higher than a 1-Hander and higher than pre-Patch 2.1 2-Handers and 2) changing 1 passive is less of a jarring overall change for players than changing/adding 4 passives.

In the upcoming PTR patch, you should see the DPS of 2-Handed Melee Weapons increased by 23-26% across the board. The goal is to get the raw DPS of a 2H build to be close enough to the raw DPS of a Dual-Wield build that the weapon choice is mostly determined by the legendary powers on the item and by the build you are using. Some of the tradeoffs of 2-Handers vs. Dual-Wielding are that 2-Handers are intended to make more efficient use of resources and hit harder for skills with cooldowns while Dual-Wielding is intended to generate more procs, Life on Hit, and give more of certain stats. Currently, the raw DPS gap is large enough that Dual-Wielding feels like it is always the right answer.

To summarize the changes:
The DPS of 2-Handed Melee Weapons has been increased by 23-26% across the board.
This applies to the following weapon types:

2-Handed Maces
2-Handed Mighty Weapons
2-Handed Axes
2-Handed Flails
2-Handed Staffs
2-Handed Swords
Daibos
Polearms

In direct response, Heavenly Strength will now reduce damage done by 20%. With both changes, Crusaders using a 2-Hander should see a very small DPS increase.
This change is retroactive to existing live items.
This change only affects level 70 two-handed melee weapons.
This change affects two-handed melee weapons of all rarities.

We are still considering additional changes if needed but this should be a solid step towards making 2-Handers viable again for all classes.

Ah ok, you empathized the 6 piece as almost a separate thing why I made my comment. You are correct, only 2 6 piece WD sets, Zunimassa is a 5 piece set. My bad... :D

Damn! I was thinking of 6-piece sets! >_>

In other news, they're finally going to change 2H weapons in patch 2.1. Here's what we know so far:

About damn time. Although they are only addressing half the problem. Pre-2.0 two handers rolled double stats - although I doubt if they will do that, because crusaders. Even if they did it wouldn't solve the problem of loosing 130% crit damage.

I'm not saying some builds wouldn't benefit from using two-handers with this change, but it's still a half ass solution.

I see they have no plans on touching Bows/Crossbows either, which is a shame.....they are pretty much useless outside of Mara6 builds.

I'm over 1100 act 1 bounties with no RRoG, my account has to be bugged or something.../sigh

I'm over 1100 act 1 bounties with no RRoG, my account has to be bugged or something.../sigh

Are you doing normal split runs for bounties? I've gotten several. I've salvaged about 5 or 6 of them.

I typically do split bounties with my son, so just two of us. He has salvaged at least 5 or 6 and as I said before, he taunts me when he does. I typically ground him when he does this though...

It seems I'm hitting a gear wall or something. Torment I seems to take too long to do efficient kills (Adventure mode/rifts) but I don't want to drop difficulty levels, and I can't seem to find better gear. What's my problem?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dino-1628/hero/49892359

Whoa, seriously? First off, are you playing HC or SC? Your gear it totally not optimized and there are no synergies with your skills. Get the Topaz out of your helm, cuz that's useless. Put either Amethyst or Diamond. Take Ruby out of your weapon, and put Emerald. Always emerald in weapons. Looks like you got +Poison and +Physical skills, so make sure all your skills use one of those two elements. Better yet, choose a single element type and choose your skills/rune accordingly.

Take a look at my DH - I play HC though. If you're playing SC, then just stack DPS and don't worry about Vit, Armor, or Rez.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Muddyskunk-1674/hero/33162688

I just started playing again after a looong hiatus. Playing softcore.

How can I tell what runes do what type of elemental damage? It's not obvious unless it says in the skill itself that it does "lightning bolts" or something

Back