• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Ah that makes sense. Instead of the soulstone being used to trap essences, Adria marked the evils to go to it when they died. That way she didn't need direct control of it to harness their power.

So if this plan all along was their contingency plan, I guessing she planned even a step further should 7-evils diablo fall as well. Perhaps it was even the plan to begin with to create that diablo, just to be defeated to make room for a new evil.....
 
Ah that makes sense. Instead of the soulstone being used to trap essences, Adria marked the evils to go to it when they died. That way she didn't need direct control of it to harness their power.

So if this plan all along was their contingency plan, I guessing she planned even a step further should 7-evils diablo fall as well. Perhaps it was even the plan to begin with to create that diablo, just to be defeated to make room for a new evil.....


You make a good point. So far Adria has been a very competent villain. She was already known for being very knowledgable and intelligent before even meeting Diablo. It's definitely possible she has a plan of her own and anticipated Diablo's third and possibly final defeat.

I wonder if she's an agent for a greater power or if she wants to obtain power herself. Or she and Diablo made a back-up plan for their last back-up plan. :p But that would be far-fetched.

one question left then--how'd she get so dang smart? =P

She seems indeed very smart and very good at planning ahead and manipulating people around her. Diablo might have transferred some of his knowledge to her as well.


I just read that the Exile of the Prime Evils might actually have been planned by them on purpose. Diablo, Mephisto and Baal found out the Soulstones could be corrupted and by doing so they could tap into the powers of the Worldstone, which then could be used to spread their influence on Sanctuary. While being trapped, all three Prime Evils corrupted their Soulstones until they were released again in Diablo 1 (Diablo himself) and Diablo 2 (Mephisto/Baal)


Isn't she siblings with dekard Cain?

I heard that once as well but I can't seem to find that bit of info again. Leah called Cain Uncle Deckard, but it could have been a kind of nickname she gave him.
 
Last edited:
Seems this is your first brush with wisdom and common sense I'd be documenting it as well if I were you.

For the record, common sense would dictate that instead of doing an endless-fruitless grind and instead spending money to upgrade gear, to catch up to the endless grind, which will continue to be fruitless; is stupid. If you aren't having fun grinding in your +8 gear, you aren't going to have fun grinding in the +9 gear.

---

Now as far as the lore goes, no one is expecting them to continue on with the corrupted angels concept? I'm fully expecting them to pull a Constantine type thing where you "ally" with demons to take down "a force that could destroy both heaven and hell".
 
---
Now as far as the lore goes, no one is expecting them to continue on with the corrupted angels concept? I'm fully expecting them to pull a Constantine type thing where you "ally" with demons to take down "a force that could destroy both heaven and hell".


Good point. And you're not the only one in this. I've seen many people think that an Angel or Angels may be the bad guy(s) in the expansion, which would be a nice twist from the Demons.


First thing that came into mind when I saw the preview was "Angel of Death". Maybe an Angel that has gone mad or found a "solution" to end all wars and suffering throughout existence.

Malthael (Angel of Wisdom who disappeared after the Worldstone was destroyed) could be possible. And maybe Imperius will join the evil side as well, perhaps feeling that Sanctuary, Humans and Nephalem are a true threat and insult to Heaven. Considering his behavior in D3, and that he may have been corrupted by Diablo long ago or recently, it wouldn't be much of a stretch. He always seemed very angry, and he may surrender himself to his anger and wrath in the end.


Besides, I always wanted to fight Imperius in D3. He would make an epic boss IMO.

===

I think most people have seen this video, but it offers additional material about past events in the Diablo universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlkvO6NLnI
 
Last edited:
Perhaps another relic or creature with similar powers as the black soulstone exists. Maybe Adria's plan was to resurrect diablo to kick the war into overdrive, and collect all the angels' and demons' souls. I think Reaper of souls would be a fitting title for that plan.

Maybe Malthael, a MIA angel and the former angel of wisdom is part of the plot?
http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Malthael

Edit: beating me to it!!
 
^

Good point about collecting the souls of angels and demons. The war definitely caused a huge amount of deaths. Humans, Demons, Angels, if collecting these souls was Adria's intention, then she definitely succeeded.


Thanks for the link. I learned some things I didn't know about Malthael. The more I'm reading about him, the more it seems likely Malthael may be planning something. An Angel gone mad, who may believes that he has found a solution that could very well be the end of everything.


I also noticed he carries Scythes/Sickles. Although a Grim Reaper usually carries a large Scythe, it could be a hint towards "Reaper of Souls".
 
Last edited:
For the record, common sense would dictate that instead of doing an endless-fruitless grind and instead spending money to upgrade gear, to catch up to the endless grind, which will continue to be fruitless; is stupid. If you aren't having fun grinding in your +8 gear, you aren't going to have fun grinding in the +9 gear.

ssssoooooo......pretty much what I said \/

"In terms of upgrades however I say just avoid paying actual cash for upgrades because this game is designed to pretty much have NO limit to your upgrades thus you can perpetually upgrade with no end in sight. And they will continue to change and upgrade Items so what you spend your money on will become rather worthless in future."


also I never not had fun while playing D3....I mean if I wasn't having fun why the hell would play the game. Smashing up monsters with friends is always a good time.


Common sense also dictate that if you have more money then time spending money to gain time is the right choice.

Common sense would also dictate that if you have having fun doing something and spending money will allow you to have more fun doing that thing then spending more money is the right choice....assuming you have disposable income.
 
The lore gets so interesting the more I read it. There's a place called the black abyss where demons possibly go when killed, so all the evils might reside in there. They can't influence the outside realm from there, but they can possibly be summoned back.
http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Black_Abyss


It probably won't play a role in the expansion as a major story, but it'd be a nice way to make an endless dungeon out of it.
 
All true Steve, though I've found that spending money in arpgs ruins the fun

It sure as hech does...hard to blame people when its there though. I've had more fun playing self found than any of my other characters using the ah. But to each their own I guess.

Riddle me this, in what part of the lore does Deckard Caine get killed by butterflies? That's just fucking stupid.
 
All true Steve, though I've found that spending money in arpgs ruins the fun

yeah it definitely can. IT all depends on how you use it. That is where the wisdom comes into play.

Knowing why you are having fun and what would end that fun is an important thing to know. I love EXP growth so if they offered 1 dollar for a Paragon level up that would be me paying to ruin the game for myself....In fact I stopped playing my monk because he started to get close to Paragon 100.

Some people play only for DPS growth so using the RMAH to max out their DPS will just kill their fun.

The biggest draws for me are Playing with friends, trying new builds, and actually playing the game.....The AH has doesn't have much effect on these.....Though Blizzard did try pretty hard to fuck D3 up as much as they could for me by Dropping LAN, Skill trees, only 4 players, and locked down the mods.

It sure as hech does...hard to blame people when its there though. I've had more fun playing self found than any of my other characters using the ah. But to each their own I guess.

Riddle me this, in what part of the lore does Deckard Caine get killed by butterflies? That's just fucking stupid.

They need a Self Found Ladder bad...IronBorn I think they call it. I always found the complaints about the AH rather baseless when compared to the actual issues of the game like poor ingenuity. Not having a ladder system at this point just seems stupid.....Though if they opened a ladder I'd need more than 10 character slots. Right now I have 5 SoftCore and 5 Hardcore characters.


A lot of literature has characters of high importance being killed or being harmed by nobodies...I actually kind of like it. Gatsby was killed by George Wilson a nobody in terms of the story.....not defending the rather crappy story in the slightest though.
 
Last edited:
My problem is that if you have so much "common sense and wisdom", that you'd be playing another game. Then again, i don't have enough common sense to know that I can't win against fanboy logic (not necc. from you, but others that still play this atrocious game).

I simply can't comprehend the draw of the game, given the poor itemization, poor drop rates, poor everything. Its just not a good game. I stopped playing PoE for more than a month, and only came back recently with a new build on my main (self cast incinerate), but even that isn't enough to draw 100's of hours of attention. I'm currently rotating between it, several Civ5 campaigns, CS:GO, binding of isaac and Rez.
 
Last edited:
My problem is that if you have so much "common sense and wisdom", that you'd be playing another game. Then again, i don't have enough common sense to know that I can't win against fanboy logic (not necc. from you, but others that still play this atrocious game).

Opinions and stuff, yo.
 
I actually went to reinstall the game on Monday and found out I never uninstalled it. Popped on for an hour to check out the rebalancing and, holy shit, Inferno is easymode now.

I haven't played in almost a year, was able to run to Belial and down him first attempt. Before, it took me a dozen tries to get past that point in Inferno, and that was when I was fully practiced.

I didn't really re-test any of the later bosses, but I assume I could likely facestomp them all with no issues.
 
My problem is that if you have so much "common sense and wisdom", that you'd be playing another game. Then again, i don't have enough common sense to know that I can't win against fanboy logic (not necc. from you, but others that still play this atrocious game).

I simply can't comprehend the draw of the game, given the poor itemization, poor drop rates, poor everything. Its just not a good game. I stopped playing PoE for more than a month, and only came back recently with a new build on my main (self cast incinerate), but even that isn't enough to draw 100's of hours of attention. I'm currently rotating between it, several Civ5 campaigns, CS:GO, binding of isaac and Rez.

Simple answer is I enjoy it. Its not like I'm grinding away for hours on end and hating it the entire time. I'll pop in a couple of hours with a friend and do an uber run or farm some keys while shooting the shit over ventrillo. Or try out a new build or see how fast I can blast through the game or how much EXP I can get in one run.....also its great to play while watching sub par TV shows. I have fun while doing all of it.

Civ5 is a crazy boring game with little to no point....But its still fun to play...ish

D3 is far from a bad game. Its also far from a great game. Its just a regular ole good game. Its nothing like Dark Souls which completely blew my mind to shit with how bad ass it was and also nothing like Postal III which is in fact a bad game.

While there are some fanboys the biggest factor is the fact that you are a Hater admittedly so which is pretty much a reverse fanboy just as impervious to reason.

I hate COD, Halo, God Of war and many others....But despite my hate towards them I can easily see they are good game that many people enjoy. In fact I have been filled with rage that castlevaina has pretty much turned itself into God Of War instead of the amazing game it used to be with SOTN....but I'm not ignorant enough to blind myself to the fact that other people enjoy it possibly more than SOTN.
 
I actually went to reinstall the game on Monday and found out I never uninstalled it. Popped on for an hour to check out the rebalancing and, holy shit, Inferno is easymode now.

I haven't played in almost a year, was able to run to Belial and down him first attempt. Before, it took me a dozen tries to get past that point in Inferno, and that was when I was fully practiced.

I didn't really re-test any of the later bosses, but I assume I could likely facestomp them all with no issues.


Yeah they nerfed Inferno about 3 times after people complained it was too hard.

To get the "old" Inferno difficulty I believe you have to play on Monster Power 4.


edit:

While there are some fanboys the biggest factor is the fact that you are a Hater admittedly so which is pretty much a reverse fanboy just as impervious to reason.

I hate COD, Halo, God Of war and many others....But despite my hate towards them I can easily see they are good game that many people enjoy. In fact I have been filled with rage that castlevaina has pretty much turned itself into God Of War instead of the amazing game it used to be with SOTN....but I'm not ignorant enough to blind myself to the fact that other people enjoy it possibly more than SOTN.

Pretty much. Let's see, who is the more reasonable person:

-The guy that discusses this game with his friends. Accepts it has flaws, but still enjoys it.

-The guy that comes in here, multiple times, to demand people stop playing this game because it doesn't fit his vision of fun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I actually went to reinstall the game on Monday and found out I never uninstalled it. Popped on for an hour to check out the rebalancing and, holy shit, Inferno is easymode now.

I haven't played in almost a year, was able to run to Belial and down him first attempt. Before, it took me a dozen tries to get past that point in Inferno, and that was when I was fully practiced.

I didn't really re-test any of the later bosses, but I assume I could likely facestomp them all with no issues.

Very true. What you have to do for a challenge is raise the level of Inferno to match your gear. Then you'll have a better challenge. Well in actuality the mobs don't change other than they do more damage and have a lot more HP. They still do whatever they did before.
 
Yeah they nerfed Inferno about 3 times after people complained it was too hard.

To get the "old" Inferno difficulty I believe you have to play on Monster Power 4.

Well the way old Inferno was you would attack a mob and get one shot. Pretty much impossible to get one shot now unless your gear is really bad. With 100,000 gold the last time I played, you can fix that.

Now personally I thought getting one shot was the cheesiest crap ever of putting a stop sign up in a game for the purpose of extending content. To each his own though. :)
 
Difficulty drop sucks In my opinion.

MP just doesn't seem to balance it out as good its too HP heavy and not damage heavy enough. It pretty much just makes the monsters take longer to kill. Where the old difficulty was actually hard like you had to kite and play very intelligently in order to not continually die....I Really liked that.

Damage spikes were address separately then overall difficulty and where a very valid complaint.....I wasn't playing HC at the time but I can only imagine how insane that would have been.
 
Very true. What you have to do for a challenge is raise the level of Inferno to match your gear. Then you'll have a better challenge. Well in actuality the mobs don't change other than they do more damage and have a lot more HP. They still do whatever they did before.

My gear was just barely good enough to clear all of Inferno pre-nerf. These days it would be considered utter shit. I didn't even check the AH to see what the economy looked like.
 
Not sure if this has been posted, but the desktop client is now in open beta. If you play multiple Blizz games, it's a nice thing to have.
 
For now its just a convenient steamlike launcher for blizzard games. Once logged in, you don't need the authenticator every time you play a blizzard game. You can save the credentials, so even from a boot to desktop you don't need the authenticator. It also has a semi news feed and facilitates updates for each game. For wow (even though I'm not subscribed), its a common place to launch editions available to me. It's probably the same for the other games to easily access PTRs and stuff. It also has a quick summary of who in your bnet list is playing that game before you launch.

I could see this expanding into more social features out of the game, such as looking up profiles and chat features without having to launch the game.

It's easy on the eyes and pretty fast too, but to be fair it has at most 3 games so its nothing like having to deal with my steam library when I launch that.
 
Ah Gotcha ! Not really interested then since D3 is the only Blizz game I play. I thought it was also a tool to access the AH without opening D3.
 
Seems cool....except it would be better if they just used steam. Everyone should just use steam.

Maybe if Blizzard released more then 1 game a decade it would be useful. Can't wait for 2020 when I get WarCraft 4.
 
It seems like a cool idea but seeing as all my other games are on Steam and D3 is the only Blizzard game I play its not much use to me.
 
I've been using the launcher for a little while. My favorite feature is seeing friends online and whether they're in-game or not without having to launch the game.

That, and not requiring authentication every time is nice too.
 
Seems cool....except it would be better if they just used steam. Everyone should just use steam.

Maybe if Blizzard released more then 1 game a decade it would be useful. Can't wait for 2020 when I get WarCraft 4.

2023 is when that would come out going by the D3 time table. :)
 
Two new classes. Angel and Necromancer lets do it....Though I'd be fine with pretty much anything Ninja, Samurai, Pirate, Summoner, Assassin, Druid, Taco, Fairy, smerf.
 
By the way, if you're getting bored with the game there's a way to make it interesting again.

Play hardcore.
Self found.

No AH, not even to sell crap and you can only use shit you find and/or craft.

It's awesome, I love it!
 
I tried the whole self-found thing last summer and it was okay ...up until I found myself trying to progress at level 40 with gear I found at level 20.

What kinda baffles me about the self-found movement now is that it is happening before loot 2.0. The loot is, for the most part, still horrible and horribly random. Arbitrarily limiting myself didn't add depth to the game for me.
 
I tried the whole self-found thing last summer and it was okay ...up until I found myself trying to progress at level 40 with gear I found at level 20.

What kinda baffles me about the self-found movement now is that it is happening before loot 2.0. The loot is, for the most part, still horrible and horribly random. Arbitrarily limiting myself didn't add depth to the game for me.

Craft yourself something better?
I'm @ paragon 3 right now and other than Hell Belial who I asked for some help since the dude scares the crap out of me, I was able to get to end game without much problem.

Granted, you won't blow through everything at 45 like someone who has a -15 lvl req weapon, but it's easily doable.
 
By the way, if you're getting bored with the game there's a way to make it interesting again.

Play hardcore.
Self found.

No AH, not even to sell crap and you can only use shit you find and/or craft.

It's awesome, I love it!

Add playing with a friend on there as well and you have yourself a fantastic time. Nothing like hardcoring with other people and coming close to death......Except for the fact that sometimes they die and get separated from the group.

My first run through HC I was playing with 2 other people. We hit the Second Act boss in Nightmare.....All three of us Died. It was great.
 
Craft yourself something better?
I'm @ paragon 3 right now and other than Hell Belial who I asked for some help since the dude scares the crap out of me, I was able to get to end game without much problem.

Granted, you won't blow through everything at 45 like someone who has a -15 lvl req weapon, but it's easily doable.
Indeed crafting is quite necessary in self-found... but that's a good thing imo.
Add playing with a friend on there as well and you have yourself a fantastic time. Nothing like hardcoring with other people and coming close to death......Except for the fact that sometimes they die and get separated from the group.

That's what i was going to say. HC sounds fun and all, until you get separated or die to some bullshit lol.

I've tried numerous times to create new HC characters and play self-found. Usually i have quite a bit of fun. However, i still really dislike the Monster Power system. Not only are 10 levels of monster power too fuckin many (there should be 5 tops), but it's all just HP padding. I start my new HC guys on MP10 hoping for a challenge... but all it does it increase the time it takes to kill shit.

Pretty lame system imo.
 
Indeed crafting is quite necessary in self-found... but that's a good thing imo.


That's what i was going to say. HC sounds fun and all, until you get separated or die to some bullshit lol.

I've tried numerous times to create new HC characters and play self-found. Usually i have quite a bit of fun. However, i still really dislike the Monster Power system. Not only are 10 levels of monster power too fuckin many (there should be 5 tops), but it's all just HP padding. I start my new HC guys on MP10 hoping for a challenge... but all it does it increase the time it takes to kill shit.

Pretty lame system imo.

I have always found MP on HC to be a waste. If you want difficulty on normal you pretty much can't get it. Nightmare and Hard do get pretty hard even on MP0 as long as you are lower level then the monsters you are fighting.

MP in general should reduce HP by half and increase damage by like 10%.
 
Back
Top