Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I changed some stuff and now I'm scoring mp5 on the site but I'm shredding through mp9 :)

Care to post the link to your profile? rebuilding my monk after about 8 months of not playing so wanna see what kind of gear i need to reach that level.

The site has me mp7 optimal which I've noticed is about right. I've soloed ubers on mp10 though it was on border of rage timers.

I think the ubers need a different classification than mob efficient. It's easy to mow down mobs with gobs of DPS, but if you can't survive a random charge/tele/stab/swing of an uber, you are useless...

Typical, wanted to try out a Won Khim Lau this morning and of course the AH decides to "swallow" it.

I know I just have to be patient but it's not first time this happened. It gets frustrating over time.

EDIT: The AH "coughed" it up, but only after buying around 10 legendaries for a few thousand gold each.

Last edited:
Typical, wanted to try out a Won Khim Lau this morning and of course the AH decides to "swallow" it.

I know I just have to be patient but it's not first time this happened. It gets frustrating over time.

EDIT: The AH "coughed" it up, but only after buying around 10 legendaries for a few thousand gold each.

The WKL goes great with an SOJ that has sweeping wind bonus on it. Add that with a Tyrael's Might that has 15% dmg to demons. Sheet dps drops a good bit but you hit like a freight train. I'm doing more dmg now than I did with a nice Echoing Fury.

The WKL goes great with an SOJ that has sweeping wind bonus on it. Add that with a Tyrael's Might that has 15% dmg to demons. Sheet dps drops a good bit but you hit like a freight train. I'm doing more dmg now than I did with a nice Echoing Fury.

My Frost Arrow DH (Frost Hunter) is based on the same principle: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aix-1131/hero/33802918

Quiver: 12% Elemental Arrow
SOJ: 10% Elemental Arrow
Skull Grasp: 11% Elemental Arrow

SOJ: 30% Damage to Elites

Frostburn Gauntlets: 30% to Cold Skills damage

Tyreal's Might: 15% damage to demons

Still working on my gear (my crafting has been unlucky, plus I play multiple characters) but so far I'm critting for 500-600K on elites with Frost Arrow.

My Frost Arrow DH (Frost Hunter) is based on the same principle: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Aix-1131/hero/33802918

Still working on my gear (my crafting has been unlucky, plus I play multiple characters) but so far I'm critting for 500-600K on elites with Frost Arrow.

Very nice. I see you found a use for frostburn gloves. It's a shame not many classes can use them..

Very nice. I see you found a use for frostburn gloves. It's a shame not many classes can use them..

Haha yeah, finding a use for them was the initial goal and I stumbled onto a thread with discussion about using them for a Frost Hunter. I started out doing the Cull the Weak + Entangling Shot + Frost Arrow thing, but now I'm just using Bola Shot and Frost Arrow, with Vengeance to keep me going. Using Sharp Shooter at least until I can roll some damned crit on my gear.

If I want to go for pure crowd spam I can swap out the gloves and switch to Ball Lightning with little to no penalty, but Frost Arrow is where it's at for spiking down elites, goblins (counts as both elite+demon I believe), and bosses, and Bola Shot is very serviceable for AoE.

Nice to hear that your DPS have improved a lot. :) Unfortunately after testing it out I seemed to deal out just a bit less damage with the WKL than without. It's probably that my sword had higher stats and CD/LS (WKL can only have LS or CD) If I had a stronger WKL things might be different but those are very expensive. It was definitely fun to try though.

Sold my old sword and the WKL and bought a new sword 400 mill cheaper for only 3k DPS less.

SoJ gave me noticeable worse results (not only sheet DPS) but is a great item, it just couldn't compensate for a rare ring or Natalya's (Which I needed for the 7% CC bonus)

That looks like a very nice/unique setup. I love that Frostburn Gauntlets play a core role in your DH's setup and that many pieces of gear enhance your skills by a lot. Nice.

I hope they increase the variety and value of for example skill enhancing gear (like DPS/reduced cooldown/added effects, etc) even more in the itemization patch. One of the things that would improve the game and fun by a lot and allow for a greater variety of different and specialized characters.

Decided I'd run a Wizard through HC using my hellfire ring.....Hot.

That is defiantly the way to go through HC. I started out with over 2000 life and 100 DPS. Had my buddy warp me through the game I beat the butcher at Level 3 and diablo at level 15 on normal....Took me just under 5 hours to get to inferno.

100% self found or left over gear.....I know I need 2 new rings bad.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/35296661

I found a sweet 1080 DPS chantodo's now I just have to find the off hand.

So from my experience the fastest way through the game is to:
A) have a hell fire ring
B) have a friend warp you to two points in the game Bridge of act 3 and end of act 4.
C) Level up at the bridge in ACT 3 on what ever MP you feel is right for you then beat diablo.

The bridge is a strait walk with pretty good monster density and no harsh Mobs.

Nice to hear that your DPS have improved a lot. :) Unfortunately after testing it out I seemed to deal out just a bit less damage with the WKL than without. It's probably that my sword had higher stats and CD/LS (WKL can only have LS or CD) If I had a stronger WKL things might be different but those are very expensive. It was definitely fun to try though.

Sold my old sword and the WKL and bought a new sword 400 mill cheaper for only 3k DPS less.

SoJ gave me noticeable worse results (not only sheet DPS) but is a great item, it just couldn't compensate for a rare ring or Natalya's (Which I needed for the 7% CC bonus)

Hmmmm yea you have godly gear so it would take a strong WKL to notice a difference. Sorry it didn't work out for you but at least you tried :)

Last edited:
I don't usually play a lot of Act 2, but decided I should try VotA runs with my DH (P15) to farm up DE's at a better rate.

So I take the Desolate Sands WP and instantly get mobbed by a Lacuni Stalker pack (Jailer+Extra Health+Mortar+Arcane) and a huge mass of Lacuni Leapers, Sand Wasps, and those clouds of flies. There was basically no space to do anything and I managed to get back to the WP only through use of Smoke Screen and Preparation (Battle Scars). Oddly enough it was the first time I'd even had to use Prep, but because I use Elemental Arrow as my only hatred spender I could never decide another skill for the slot. Glad I left it alone!

So yeah, I think I'll be approaching the Desolate Sands strictly from the Ancient Path WP from now on.

So what do you guys do to farm gold? Im in need of some new gear but everything thats a worth while upgrade on the auction house is way more gold than I have. I have been trying to save up some gold for upgrades but it seems like its taking forever. So is there any tricks to getting gold faster or is that pretty much just the way it is.

So what do you guys do to farm gold? Im in need of some new gear but everything thats a worth while upgrade on the auction house is way more gold than I have. I have been trying to save up some gold for upgrades but it seems like its taking forever. So is there any tricks to getting gold faster or is that pretty much just the way it is.

Collecting gold is always good, but at a certain point you need to have some luck and get a drop that can sell for some millions, from that point on you'll pick up some steam and can get deeper into the game. It's especially the early grinding part to get going that can get tedious pretty quick.

I didn't make any real progress with my Monk for months. (Stuck at MP0/MP1/MP2 for a long time) Also switched characters because I was getting bored until finally deciding to stick with one character, afterwards progression went faster.

Do you play on the US or EU server? I'm on EU and I might have some gear (amulets and Witch Doctor stuff, softcore) that could give you a boost in gold.

===

Pushed my Monk (softcore) to the limits earlier today in Act3 MP10. The character isn't fully ready for MP10 in this Act as there were several calls too close for comfort. While playing I made a few recordings of some Elite encounters.

To survive I had to spam Wave of Light. (3 second stun) In a way it (almost) feels like cheating, without Wave of Light many Elites in the video below would have killed me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiaHraj__k

Last edited:
Thats pretty much what I figured that getting gold was all about getting a good drop that I could sell in the auction house. So far I havent gotten much thats worth selling. I was lucky to get a legendary drop off a random mob in nightmare but it wasnt anything special and I was only able to sell it for 100K.

I play on the US server but thanks for the offer of the gear. Im still making pretty good progress with my SC barb but I just got to hell and things are starting to get tougher so I think ill be needing some new gear shortly. Hopefully I can get a good drop that is either a nice upgrade for something I have or at least worth a decent amount that I can sell to make some gold.

Here is what I have right now. I will gladly take any suggestions on what gear to upgrade.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MrWrong-1886/hero/34763525

Thats pretty much what I figured that getting gold was all about getting a good drop that I could sell in the auction house. So far I havent gotten much thats worth selling. I was lucky to get a legendary drop off a random mob in nightmare but it wasnt anything special and I was only able to sell it for 100K.

I play on the US server but thanks for the offer of the gear. Im still making pretty good progress with my SC barb but I just got to hell and things are starting to get tougher so I think ill be needing some new gear shortly. Hopefully I can get a good drop that is either a nice upgrade for something I have or at least worth a decent amount that I can sell to make some gold.

Here is what I have right now. I will gladly take any suggestions on what gear to upgrade.

Yep wave of light is far to powerful. And you are using 1 handers it is much more powerful with a skorn it is pretty much hacks. Just for fun put on Quickening instead of thunder clap...You'll be able to drop bells pretty much none stop.

No skill on any other class even comes close to wave of light.

When they changed the maximum gold per $0.25 (RMAH) didn't they effectively make everyone's gold worth significantly less while also offering no new ways to get gold? If I was playing SC I'd probably just spend the $2 and save myself the headache.

When they changed the maximum gold per $0.25 (RMAH) didn't they effectively make everyone's gold worth significantly less while also offering no new ways to get gold? If I was playing SC I'd probably just spend the $2 and save myself the headache.

Yep. Though it was pretty worthless before that anyways. The biggest thing they did was made it less advantageous to go to Chinese sites. Now you get almost the same amount of gold from AH as you can from China. Its the extra gold is worth it to use AH as its safer and faster. Dropping the profitability of bots significantly.

In terms of Gold sinks (crafting and such) spending 2 bucks it totally worth the cost.

In terms of upgrades however I say just avoid paying actual cash for upgrades because this game is designed to pretty much have NO limit to your upgrades thus you can perpetually upgrade with no end in sight. And they will continue to change and upgrade Items so what you spend your money on will become rather worthless in future.

The most important thing to know is at what point will you feel you have wasted your money and how much does a dollar mean to you. I have spend probably between 50 - 100 bucks on RMAH and have 1500 hours in the game. I will never regret spending that extra money it was used for crafting and getting all 5 classes to around 150k DPS and trying new builds.

One of my wealthy(even more so then myself) friends has spent an easy 1000 bucks on this game and likely wont regret it either as 1000 bucks to him is like 100 bucks to me.

However another one of my friends who is still in college (youth can bring ignorance) has spent far more than his budget should allow. Probably around 200 bucks which is like 2000 grand for me and 20000 grand for my wealthy friend. He regrets and will always regret it. Lesson learned.

as always a little bit of wisdom goes a long way.....Or as I call it common sense.

Try looking for a weapon with a reduced level requirement. Having one with huge amounts of DPS will make going through Hell considerably shorter. Try holding off on defensive gear as long as you can. The closer you get to Inferno, the better options might be available. Also, with a high DPS weapon you can kill stuff before they can really harm you. If you do need to increase defense, go for the cheapest pieces of gear which still add stats like AR/Physical Resistance/Vitality and Strength, but only if needed, you have to try saving up gold as much as you can.

When you'll reach level 60, the game will really open up. Take your time, and if needed write down on paper what you would want from every piece of gear or what you want your character to be. (Focused on DPS with medium damage mitigation/Focused more on defensive with medium DPS, etc)

Items like Shoulders/chest/pants/boots/armplates should focus heavily on defensive stats. (Example Strength/Vitality/+Life%/All Resistance/Physical Resistance (if available) Armor/maybe some life regen) Bracers benefit greatly from Critical Hit chance, up to 6%.

Items like rings/gloves/amulet should especially focus on offense (Strength/attack speed/critical hit chance/critical hit damage)

Helmets and Belts could focus on both offense/defense. Try to get at least a socket and Critical Hit Chance on your helmet. Immortal's King's Binding is a great item for a Barb. Witching Hour might even be better but is expensive.

Pants in the end need 2 sockets/Chest needs 3 eventually.

While not mandatory, 24% movement speed in the end helps farming/leveling up a lot.

Optional are Increased Pickup radius and the bonus to health globes. Magic Find is great as well but not mandatory for gearing up yet. Same for Gold Find.

Yep wave of light is far to powerful. And you are using 1 handers it is much more powerful with a skorn it is pretty much hacks. Just for fun put on Quickening instead of thunder clap...You'll be able to drop bells pretty much none stop.

No skill on any other class even comes close to wave of light.

You're entirely right. A Skorn would be better but I can't get used to the slower attack speed. I'll try out Quickening, thanks for the tip.

One thing I noticed on the EU servers is that the AH is changing. I seem to find less "great" items there than before, sometimes searches coming up empty. It almost seems as if there's a shift taking place from gold AH to RMAH.

Last edited:
As gold becomes worth less the best items just increase in value. You see those items disappearing off the Gold AH because they are worth more then 2b. They either shift to the RMAH or 3rd party sites like d2jsp

you could manage something like this fairly easy like 2 bucks can get you close. High attack speed is pretty useful to a barb. Also make sure your belt has life steal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/10075788

Try looking for a weapon with a reduced level requirement. Having one with huge amounts of DPS will make going through Hell considerably shorter. Try holding off on defensive gear as long as you can. The closer you get to Inferno, the better options might be available. Also, with a high DPS weapon you can kill stuff before they can really harm you. If you do need to increase defense, go for the cheapest pieces of gear which still add stats like AR/Physical Resistance/Vitality and Strength, but only if needed, you have to try saving up gold as much as you can.

When you'll reach level 60, the game will really open up. Take your time, and if needed write down on paper what you would want from every piece of gear or what you want your character to be. (Focused on DPS with medium damage mitigation/Focused more on defensive with medium DPS, etc)

Items like Shoulders/chest/pants/boots/armplates should focus heavily on defensive stats. (Example Strength/Vitality/+Life%/All Resistance/Physical Resistance (if available) Armor/maybe some life regen) Bracers benefit greatly from Critical Hit chance, up to 6%.

Items like rings/gloves/amulet should especially focus on offense (Strength/attack speed/critical hit chance/critical hit damage)

Helmets and Belts could focus on both offense/defense. Try to get at least a socket and Critical Hit Chance on your helmet. Immortal's King's Binding is a great item for a Barb. Witching Hour might even be better but is expensive.

Pants in the end need 2 sockets/Chest needs 3 eventually.

While not mandatory, 24% movement speed in the end helps farming/leveling up a lot.

Optional are Increased Pickup radius and the bonus to health globes. Magic Find is great as well but not mandatory for gearing up yet. Same for Gold Find.

You're entirely right. A Skorn would be better but I can't get used to the slower attack speed. I'll try out Quickening, thanks for the tip.

One thing I noticed on the EU servers is that the AH is changing. I seem to find less "great" items there than before, sometimes searches coming up empty. It almost seems as if there's a shift taking place from gold AH to RMAH.

Thanks for all the info. Most of it I already had figured out, but it was still a lot of help.

you could manage something like this fairly easy like 2 bucks can get you close. High attack speed is pretty useful to a barb. Also make sure your belt has life steal.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/10075788

Yeah I was figuring the Immortal Kings set would be the way to go for a Barb. I was looking at some of the different parts on the auction house and realized I would need a ton more gold.

All in all it looks like I'm on the right track just gotta grind it out and keep upgrading little by little.

Scored a pretty sweet weapon upgrade from the auction house today. Its not the best weapon in the world by far, but it took me from about 5k DPS to 26k DPS. The best part is it only cost me 2600 gold so it didn't break the bank and I can keep saving up for some better gear. Hell just got a whole lot easier lol.

New%2520Weapon.png

Yep. Though it was pretty worthless before that anyways. The biggest thing they did was made it less advantageous to go to Chinese sites. Now you get almost the same amount of gold from AH as you can from China. Its the extra gold is worth it to use AH as its safer and faster. Dropping the profitability of bots significantly.

In terms of Gold sinks (crafting and such) spending 2 bucks it totally worth the cost.

In terms of upgrades however I say just avoid paying actual cash for upgrades because this game is designed to pretty much have NO limit to your upgrades thus you can perpetually upgrade with no end in sight. And they will continue to change and upgrade Items so what you spend your money on will become rather worthless in future.

The most important thing to know is at what point will you feel you have wasted your money and how much does a dollar mean to you. I have spend probably between 50 - 100 bucks on RMAH and have 1500 hours in the game. I will never regret spending that extra money it was used for crafting and getting all 5 classes to around 150k DPS and trying new builds.

One of my wealthy(even more so then myself) friends has spent an easy 1000 bucks on this game and likely wont regret it either as 1000 bucks to him is like 100 bucks to me.

However another one of my friends who is still in college (youth can bring ignorance) has spent far more than his budget should allow. Probably around 200 bucks which is like 2000 grand for me and 20000 grand for my wealthy friend. He regrets and will always regret it. Lesson learned.

as always a little bit of wisdom goes a long way.....Or as I call it common sense.

Wow. Just wow. I'm screenshotting and saving this post. And to end it with "wisdom and common sense" to boot.

Blizzard is teasing an expansion with called the dark below. My guess is that Leah's mom was only using Diablo as a diversion. I don't know the lore outside of the games, but I don't know what would be more threatening than 7-evil diablo.

Wow. Just wow. I'm screenshotting and saving this post. And to end it with "wisdom and common sense" to boot.

Yea i kinda thought the same thing. I mean, I get the sentiment. When a game has such a retarded-long grind to get upgrades and buying gold with cash is right in the game, it's easy to say "oh it's just two bucks, sure!" But IMO that's proof of a broken game (or grind, rather).

If PoE had a "buy an exalt now for 2 bucks!" button, i likely would have purchased one. Luckily they do not; and instead of spending two dollars I just stopped playing.

Blizzard is teasing an expansion with called the dark below. My guess is that Leah's mom was only using Diablo as a diversion. I don't know the lore outside of the games, but I don't know what would be more threatening than 7-evil diablo.

I would not be surprised. The funny part is the story was so rambling and poorly delivered in D3, I couldn't make myself give a shit (i really tried on more than one occasion to start the game with following the story as my goal). It just is that bad. D2's story (sure i was younger) had way more intrigue and mystery to make you want to know shit and keep you interested.

Has the next wow expansion been leaked/known yet? I think an underground focused WoW expansion might be interesting.

^

Yeah, saw the site this morning. I like "reaper of souls". It has a good ring to it IMO.

First thing that came to mind was angels. "An Angel of Death."

I find myself (surprisingly) very interested to hear more about the expansion, and which direction Blizzard wants to take the story.

So i take it some of you actually know the story of D3?

I got a question: All the demons like Azmodan, Maghda, Belial, etc. are they the "lesser evils" which overthrew Diablo, Mehpisto, and Baal?

Also, how did Diablo come back since his soulstone was destroyed in D2?

So i take it some of you actually know the story of D3?

I got a question: All the demons like Azmodan, Maghda, Belial, etc. are they the "lesser evils" which overthrew Diablo, Mehpisto, and Baal?

Also, how did Diablo come back since his soulstone was destroyed in D2?

Maghda was a human (not 100% sure) who choose to serve Belial.

Yeah, the lesser evils started an uprising against the Prime Evils because they felt they had abandoned the Eternal Conflict. I think it was Belial who manipulated Azmodan in starting the war. I did read some time ago though that the Prime Evils had planned their own Exile for their own goals. (If true, maybe they were trying to gain a foothold on Sanctuary)

Diablo supposedly should have been destroyed, but after the destuction of his Soulstone, his essence was drawn into the Black Soulstone instead. The Black Soulstone was created by Zoltun Kuhle with the intent to both trap Demons and Angels.

Without the Black Soulstone Diablo probably would have died permanently. I don't know if Diablo was aware of the existence of the Black Soulstone. If he did, he knew he could use it as a back-up in case he was defeated. Secondly, when possessing Aidan (oldest son of Leoric, known as the Dark Wanderer) Adria would carry his child. (Leah) So he had planned quite a bit ahead to rise once again from the ashes and to use Leah as a vessel. He would even use his own brothers as instruments in order to become the Prime Evil.

I only don't know that now the Black Soulstone has been destroyed, if the seven Evils will be reborn again in the Abyss or if they all died forever. If they will be reborn again Diablo's brother's might want to have a "long talk" with him.

Last edited:

Seems this is your first brush with wisdom and common sense I'd be documenting it as well if I were you.

One of the new classes being an angel is still looking possible.

The lore is actually pretty interesting, but the story told was weak. This is what I got from it.

There were 7 evils, the 3 primes and the 4 lesser.

The primes were diablo, mephosto, and Baal: Terror, hate(?), and destruction.
The lesser are duriel and andriel(d2 act bosses), and then belilal and azmodan. Magda is just a witch that was manipulated by belilal.

I don't remember the details, but there was a war between the lessers and the greaters. I believe the primes lost and were outcasted to the mortal realm.

I don't remember the history of the soulstones, but zultan tried to copy it and created the black soulstone. I don't think his purpose was to trap the evils, but aria definately planned on using it to resurrect diablo. Instead of the prime evils being destroyed in D2, she captured them in the black soulstone (which parly makes no sense since you have to go and find it and need zultan to unlock it).

The idea of diablo being more powerful than before (breaking through the gates of heaven) is because the resurrected diablo holds all 7 evil essences.

Leah is the daughter of the hero that took the soulstone into himself at the end of D1 and eventually was transformed into the diablo of D2, so there was some link about her being able to hold diablo(which also doesn't make sense unless aria ruffied the hero after he implanted the soulstone in himself).

A couple of holes, feel free to correct my summary if you know anything.

^

Good summary, we posted our summaries almost at the same time.

Leah is actually the daughter of Adria and Diablo. The Prime Evil conceived her (in the human form of Aidan, who had been possessed by Diablo but was still resisting) so she could later be used as his vessel when the time would arise. Adria saw the presence of Diablo inside Aidan, and pledged her loyalty to him.

It would also explain the powers within Leah.

Adria had marked the souls of all the Lesser and Prime Evils (probably with Diablo's consent) so they would be drawn into the Black Soulstone when there were no normal Soulstones to capture them anymore or if they were still lingering in Sanctuary. Adria and Diablo set up a plan together before Diablo 2 (maybe as a back-up) in case Diablo would be defeated again. The next time Diablo would rise again, it was their intention for him to rise as the only Prime Evil with all 7 Evils inside.

By doing this, Diablo had been planning to betray his brothers (Mephisto and Baal) for a long time. Originally the three brothers (or at least Mephisto) wanted to share the power and control over Sanctuary together.

Last edited:
Groovy--thanks for the synopsis. I enjoy Diablo lore, but could never finish a playthrough paying attention to all of it.

Here's a bit more history on the black soulstone
http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Black_Soulstone

So Zoltun created the soulstones to trap the evils, but then made a black soulstone to trap more angels and demons to reawaken the nephalem powers in humans. I still don't get how the 5 evils you kill in d2 though could be captured by the black soulstone if it were locked away.

^

I guess the Black Soulstone was ready for "use" just before Kulle was stopped by his Horadrim brothers.

However, Adria had learned about the Black Soulstone before the events in Diablo 2 (in her conversations with Deckard Cain, later she would meet Aidan and see Diablo's presence within him) and for many years searched and marked the souls of the 5 Evils so they would be drawn into the stone instead of disappearing or being reborn into the Abyss. Adria had marked Diablo himself as well, to make sure the Soulstone would draw him in too.

It's possible that "the marking of the 5 Evils" by Adria was the last step needed in order for the Black Soulstone to do its work. Even Kulle was surprised that his creation had absorbed the 5 demon lords.

EDIT: We don't really know where Adria found the souls of the 5 Evils to be marked. I don't know how much time must pass before a demonic soul returns to the Abyss. If the souls lingered around in the next years Adria might have found them that way. If not, she may have found a way (or with help from Diablo) to mark the souls in the Abyss itself.

Last edited:
Back