Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

My final build prior to 1.04 was my DH. It was designed with around 150k SS with 1200 ar 4k armor, 2k regen. I had managed to clear Act 3 and 4 with this build and finally beat the game. It felt like a true accomplishment in Inferno.

That similar build now runs mp7 fine even in group games with a few tweaks and 220k dps SS. It's survivable in mp10 solo but its not enough DPS to be effective.

Inferno is not hard anymore. It's a joke. MP10 isn't hard, its just tedious with the high HP values. 1.03 had me "surviving" on kiting and strategic running and gunning. Now I can just stand there. Sure I can make a build that pushes a 350k ss shot and glass canon myself to 1 hit, but really is that logical? Me "making" it hard for myself... it had so much potential...

I've never really watched movies, but I do love to read books. From my experience reading books and playing boardgames as a child, D3 gear choices don't fit the fantasy worlds that I construed in my mind. I always envisioned RPG games as extensions of those precursor tales that I read as a child. Yes, I know that there were melee based wizards, as there is a viable corresponding build in D3.

The problem is that to realize that build you can use a salad fork to melee with if that was a choice in the game. Or a thimble, goblet, toenail, etc if they were to add those as weapons. It makes the game seem more like a cheap thrill than a RPG. Like I bought a dps racing game than a RPG. In a fantasy setting I would expect that melee wizard to be using a melee weapon, and casting spells using that base weapon for animation purposes. For me it boils down to immersion, and the way D3 gearing operated it just didn't seem like a serious RPG.

So is there a reason Mope54 that a dexterity based class such as the Monk would want a legendary 2hnd sword because it has more dexterity and dps than fist weapons? Or why did the 1hnd Demon Hunter Xbows suck so bad when they looked iconic when equipped? Why isn't a staff one of the best weapons for a Wizard? Shouldn't Blizzard think about in one of their meetings what made this staff a bad choice and fix it?

Sure gear variety is good but as long as it's kept in context of what it's being used for. I never got the impression that there was a trade off for equipping an item other than it would add more time to my run. And that's not the impression of the quality of their development team that Blizzard Entertainment gave me for all of those prior years. I guess everyone is allowed a mistake to learn from, but to me looking in from the outside this seemed like elementary fantasy storytelling snafus.

Guess Big_Aug is right. I do hold certain company's quality standards to a higher degree as I expect the best from them. But my father always taught me to buy the best and expect them to deliver quality. I'm not sure if I want to start expecting second best from my purchases in the future. That future is very disheartening.

By that argument, Path of Exile is worse off in that aspect. There is one skill tree/map/grid, and there are no unique spells or armor pertaining to classes. A few highways and you can be anywhere on the grid. Marauder using freezing pulse? sure. Ranger using shield slam? sure. Witch using split arrows? sure.

I actually like that about the tree in PoE. But for arguments sake, saying that "loss of immersion" is what made D3 bad, then swooning over PoE's skill implementation doesnt make sense.

Whether or not I'm wearing an axe or a sword or a wand (or the fact that it does physical damage vs magic damage) a trivial thing to bicker about, I'd rather look at real issues of the game.

The biggest issue is that between between hitting 60 a month into release to now, my damage has increased almost 20 fold (and my gear is only worth maybe 100-200 million). There is no way to balance challenge around that. They implemented the MP so that everyone could choose their difficulty, but a difficulty slider is a band-aid to the issue of the spectrum of dps you can achieve. Near launch, people saw that others broke 100k, so since they knew it was achievable, they thought thats what was needed to clear inferno (hence, the YOU NEED TO SPEND MONEY TO BEAT IT argument).

The runaway damage if not fixed properly will bleed into any expansions or future content they put out, I'll have to jump in and out of MP levels to find whats challenging again. Thats why I said there was a short time frame where there was actual challenge in the game, now its just a number pusher game. They need to normalize damage some how (maybe a logrithmic crunch) to control it for future progression. Increasing drop rates, increasing drop quality wont solve the issue, it actually makes it worse. D3 and Borderlands 2, while I enjoy both games a lot, are the worst examples of managing end game statistics.

Could D3 had a darker atmosphere with different art style? Yes.
Would it be more fun to have items have more properties related to their trait (ie wands for spells)? Yes.
Could D3's story have been better? Yes.
Could D3 improve with more end game content than doing A3 runs for paragon levels? Yes
Could the crafting system get better? Yes
Could D3 improve with actual PvP? Yes.
Does any of the above matter while the stats and itemization issue is the single biggest problem in the game? Hell no

Seriously, I'd rather the game designers work hard at coming up with a solution to this problem first, then them trying to improve loot quality, add dyes to legendaries, or even get PvP out. Everyone cries about the stupid things, so thats what they address first.

Classes in PoE are different because while a Witch can wield a melee weapon it's perfectly fine as there is a spec for using a melee weapon and it fits fantasy lore. If you've ever played games like Baldur's Gate, you'd know that there are such classes. What I like about PoE is that when you're wearing daggers, you can spec hybrid caster also. So it fits right into regular fantasy. Also your skill gems require certain weapons be used with them so it makes more sense. Can you make a build that intentionally goes against this and break lore? Of course you can, as the skill tree is wide open to you.

And what you said about D3 is correct. It is perpetually broken because the dev team skirts about fixing the big elephant in the room problem. It's not that they clueless about the problem with stats and itemization. It's that they can't figure out what to do to rectify. Easiest would to make a skill tree, but they went super casual and have backed themselves into a corner. Doesn't matter as they've made plenty off the game. It was only $60 anyways.

I was talking about that point in time when inferno was difficult.

That said, i don't disagree with anything you said... i saw my barbarian and monk friends doing that.

I had a very different experience. What class did you do that with? I tried to do the same shit (you know, overcome the challenges by trying different specs).. as a wizard, there was jack shit i could do.
(unless, of course, i actually suck and missed it somehow... but it wasn't until after they fixed CC that wiz in inferno became fun)

My first and only character is a Wizard and I had one hell of a time clearing the original Inferno. Get this, I didn't even *think* about getting gear with resists on them until Act IV Inferno when those charging demons were one-shotting me lol.

Azmodan was considered a pushover, but I would die almost instantly from those giant black pools that he spawned. All the tricks people mentioned, including the rune where teleport resetted when you took a lot of damage, simply didn't work because I'd be near death by the time I could teleport out. What I ended up doing was I moved in a very peculiar circular fashion in such a way that I was already "turning the corner" by the time those pools spawned. Whether that was sheer luck or a crazy strategy, I managed to avoid getting touched by his pools entirely.

That's just one snippet of my experience in the beginning. All the Act bosses required virtually flawless execution to beat, but it was doable with god-awful gear. Dozens of deaths, lots of patience and a little luck is what it took really. Of course, with enrage timers introduced, you can't really do that anymore, but the end game is beyond easy now.

I was talking to a buddy of mine today that brought up PoE. I told him PoE has some mechanics (such as the skill tree and bartering system) that excel over D3, but D3 has some things that PoE lacks. IMO, D3 has fun factor but simpler mechanics. PoE is a bit more complex in certain regards, but just doesn't have that fun factor. It's not even the choppy animation; that's nitpicking for me. PoE just doesn't catch my interest for more than a few minutes at a time before I have to put it down. D3, though admittedly my play time has all but diminished entirely because of RL concerns, is a lot more fun for more extended periods of time.

If PoE and D3 merged and became one game...wow, just wow. Think of how awesome Third Path of Diablo would be.

Last edited:
I honestly do not like PoE's skill tree. Almost all of it is just boring, passive "+1 Damage" or "+2% Life" stuff, where you're forced to take them just for the sake of getting to the next skill. Blizzard stated in an interview a while back that they don't find this kind of system rewarding enough and were going to avoid it with D3.

I was talking to a buddy of mine today that brought up PoE. I told him PoE has some mechanics (such as the skill tree and bartering system) that excel over D3, but D3 has some things that PoE lacks. IMO, D3 has fun factor but simpler mechanics. PoE is a bit more complex in certain regards, but just doesn't have that fun factor. It's not even the choppy animation; that's nitpicking for me. PoE just doesn't catch my interest for more than a few minutes at a time before I have to put it down. D3, though admittedly my play time has all but diminished entirely because of RL concerns, is a lot more fun for more extended periods of time.

My experience with D3 and PoE has been the polar opposite. There were few, if any, times that I really felt like I was "having fun" in diablo. And once you got to "grind A3" mode of D3, it was nigh impossible to play for more than 30-45min.

I do find it funny that people that defend bad games (D3 and SimCity) always mention "oh btw I don't really play games much anymore because of real life..."

From a technical standpoint, D3 is leagues ahead of PoE. Apart from the initial server launch and a few days where Koreans were (supposedly) DDOS'ing the servers, D3 has been relatively lag free. The special movement abilities (leap, charge, spear, etc) all respond very smoothly and feel great to use (we'll ignore teleport...)

What ultimately turned myself and my friends off from PoE is the horrid netcode and performance issues, especially as melee. Melee is already hard enough but add in constant desyncs when you're relying on life leech to stay alive just makes the game an exercise in frustration. One of my friends is playing PoE with a gaming laptop (yes I know, lol-laptops) but he has been able to run D3 and Borderlands 2 flawlessly, while PoE is capped at 30 FPS no matter what he does. Sitting in town doing nothing, reducing all settings to minimum, disable vsync, running the game in windowed at 800x600, still stuck at 30 fps max.

If somehow PoE could license the netcode and render path from Blizzard it would create one of the best games of all time, unfortunately it'll never happen.

And as "bad" as Diablo 3 is, most people I've talked to have spent hundreds of hours playing it (myself included).

Well I still have 150ms latency to D3 servers and I have died plenty of times to desync in PoE also. It's a toss up between the 2 games for me as far as latency goes. I've spent hundreds of hours in both and in all honesty I have taken a break from the genre for right now. I'll hop back into PoE in another month or so.

And as "bad" as Diablo 3 is, most people I've talked to have spent hundreds of hours playing it (myself included).

As have I. Which is usually followed with "I kept on waiting for the game to get good, to turn that corner and it become fun...but it just never came...so eventually I just quit".

I played 200ish hours, made $200 from RMAH sales...but I didn't have fun, and that's what I paid $50 for; to that effect, Diablo 3 is a failure.

How the hell are you guys getting 200k+ dps, I have two tricked out barbs and I cant pull more that 143k dps with radient rubies in everything and magnificent rubies and emeralds in Helm and Weapon....I got just about maxed out immortal kings sets...

I just dont get it.....

How the hell are you guys getting 200k+ dps, I have two tricked out barbs and I cant pull more that 143k dps with radient rubies in everything and magnificent rubies and emeralds in Helm and Weapon....I got just about maxed out immortal kings sets...

I just dont get it.....

Can you link your profile?

I just dont get it.....

It's really quite simple. Get crit chance, crit damage, and attack speed. You can have all three of those on rings/amulet/gloves... i'm probably missing one or two other slots.

crit chance, crit damage, and IAS all in one item are hella expensive. I don't have that much attack speed, but have tons of crit and crit damage.

229k unbuffed. Goal is 250k unbuffed for the future. 300k will be a lot harder. Rolling a 6% crit chance bracer will gimme about 3.3k more damage.

Add crit and crit dam in ever slot you can. That will boost your damage tons.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/harkamus-1584/hero/2619523

IAS is gravy.

EDIT: Steve still post in this thread? I finally got movement speed on my boots!

Last edited:
Yea man. Too much Strength. Get an Amulet and rings with trifecta (crit/critdmg/as); watch your DPS soar.

I had the same problem. I was trying to build an Int Wizard. Had shit for dps until i started getting crit/critdmg... and holy shit does EVERYONE use a skorn?

You look at profiles and they all have the same exact gear.

Ok its off to the AH on a amulet and ring hunt....

And yes, everybody uses a Skorn. I got that one cheap, like 3 mil some person put it up on AH. Wasnt that expensive at all.

What ultimately turned myself and my friends off from PoE is the horrid netcode and performance issues, especially as melee. Melee is already hard enough but add in constant desyncs when you're relying on life leech to stay alive just makes the game an exercise in frustration. One of my friends is playing PoE with a gaming laptop (yes I know, lol-laptops) but he has been able to run D3 and Borderlands 2 flawlessly, while PoE is capped at 30 FPS no matter what he does. Sitting in town doing nothing, reducing all settings to minimum, disable vsync, running the game in windowed at 800x600, still stuck at 30 fps max.

If somehow PoE could license the netcode and render path from Blizzard it would create one of the best games of all time, unfortunately it'll never happen.

Blizzard eliminated much of the desync issue by removing accuracy and the chance to miss attacks; it's also why you take damage from melee attacks even if you try to get in an out of range before the attack animation reaches you:

It's intentional. We don't want a game where the most effective way to play is to dodge in and out of enemy attacks. It's not that difficult to do, and it's just not a very fun way to play...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4427663050#15

That is why you can play D3 with like 200-300ms latency, but PoE feels off at even 100ms. Playing PoE at 200ms is about as fun as playing a FPS at 200ms. But don't kid yourself that D3 has flawless and desirable hit detection and netcode:

http://youtu.be/2G7L8WRQHsM?t=49s
http://youtu.be/6SqbK2JCPLE?t=22s

As for your buddy's laptop, that sounds like he has some sort of vsync setting somewhere that is locking it to 30FPS, a bad driver, a bad install...something. My laptop is getting long in the tooth yet PoE doesn't get locked to 30FPS on it. A quick search of the PoE forums also turned up only a couple of mentions of 30FPS.

Blizzard eliminated much of the desync issue by removing accuracy and the chance to miss attacks; it's also why you take damage from melee attacks even if you try to get in an out of range before the attack animation reaches you:

That is why you can play D3 with like 200-300ms latency, but PoE feels off at even 100ms. Playing PoE at 200ms is about as fun as playing a FPS at 200ms. But don't kid yourself that D3 has flawless and desirable hit detection and netcode:

http://youtu.be/2G7L8WRQHsM?t=49s
http://youtu.be/6SqbK2JCPLE?t=22s

As for your buddy's laptop, that sounds like he has some sort of vsync setting somewhere that is locking it to 30FPS, a bad driver, a bad install...something. My laptop is getting long in the tooth yet PoE doesn't get locked to 30FPS on it. A quick search of the PoE forums also turned up only a couple of mentions of 30FPS.

POE is just as bad man. An animation has to finish before you can do anything else. If you use ground slam with a slow ass weapon, you can't run away until the animation is over. I'd actually say POE feels worse.

POE is just as bad man. An animation has to finish before you can do anything else. If you use ground slam with a slow ass weapon, you can't run away until the animation is over. I'd actually say POE feels worse.

I thought that's how all animations worked?

I know that when i switched to a two-hander from a one-hand + shield combo on my wizard, that i couldn't stutter step like i used to.

Similarly, when i got some cast speed on my witch, i could finally stutter step a lot better.

It's all just the speed at which the animations flow, isn't it?

Oh it wasn't my intention to say one was better, only to highlight how Blizz approached trying to reduce desync. I also wasn't talking about the fluidity of combat, but rather, how eliminating accuracy allowed their netcode to be much more forgiving when it came to the sync issue. It's not that Blizzard is doing the same that thing GGG is doing but with better programmers, it's that the approach they took is completely different.

I definitely wouldn't call Blizzard a casual gaming company. Not a company that releases a game where you can auction off items for REAL money.

I honestly do not like PoE's skill tree. Almost all of it is just boring, passive "+1 Damage" or "+2% Life" stuff, where you're forced to take them just for the sake of getting to the next skill.

i have to agree. poe's skill system looks good on first impression but quickly feels like dozens of baby steps to get anywhere. then again, i can't play either game into the ground, doing the same thing over and over, like some sort of vegetable parked in front of a keyboard and monitor.

I definitely wouldn't call Blizzard a casual gaming company. Not a company that releases a game where you can auction off items for REAL money.

There has been some confusion about how difficult or “hardcore” Diablo 3 would be after Blizzard announced that they wanted the game to be “accessible.” Confusion leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to trolling. In classic internet overreaction fashion, some fans raged that the game would be too easy.

In a reply on the Battle.Net forums, Bashiok, the Diablo 3 community manager, clarified the matter:

There’s also a lot of different ideas about what “casual” means. It’s different for everyone.

Casual, in our minds, generally means that you can choose to jump into a game at any time, on any day, play for a relatively small amount of time, and make some kind of progress. Diablo II was a casual game, as is Diablo III. You can, of course, sit and play for 6 hours straight if you like, but the ability to jump in, kill some monsters, and get something out of it (drops, XP, story progression) makes it ‘casually approachable’. You won’t be able to keep up with the people that dedicate more time to it, of course, but you’ll still be able to make meaningful progress.

That’s what allows it to be casual, purely depending on the amount of time someone can put toward playing.

As far as accessible vs. easy, we attempt to instill all of our games with an easy to learn, difficult to master approach.

--http://www.gamefront.com/diablo-3-to-be-a-casual-game/

The thing with POE breaking lore, you intentionally do it. You spec a character to use daggers, or whatever, and spells utilize that.

With D3, it doesn't matter. I equip an axe, I cast Meteor. I equip a crossbow, I cast meteor. I equip the Epic BeerMug, I cast meteor.

Where is this "lore" that you guys keep referring to?

Certainly not according to Diablo nor to dungeon and dragons...so where are you coming up with the notion that it's somehow lore breaking for wizards to wield axes or maces?
(daggers has to be the silliest complaint since other than a stealth class the only class that made sense to use daggers were casters)

Where is this "lore" that you guys keep referring to?

Certainly not according to Diablo nor to dungeon and dragons...so where are you coming up with the notion that it's somehow lore breaking for wizards to wield axes or maces?
(daggers has to be the silliest complaint since other than a stealth class the only class that made sense to use daggers were casters)

Continuity would make more sense. We take issue with the fact that the abilities themselves have NOTHING to do with the weapon equipped other than affect the DPS number. You can't cast poison arrow from a claw in PoE. In D3, somehow your meteor DPS goes up with the physical damage your weapon should do.

It's derpy and further breaks the builds and loot in the game.

Ok its off to the AH on a amulet and ring hunt....
you're welcome to come hunt with us in HC
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/bizzle-1328/

I'm on with two others every night and we currently have HC at all levels 40 and below so you could start one up and level along with us and we could use a barbarian

We take issue with the fact that the abilities themselves have NOTHING to do with the weapon equipped other than affect the DPS number.
This ilevel 36 wand adds to Magic Missile or energy twister damage
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/blackhand-key

This ilevel 63 wand has similar attributes
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/sloraks-madness

No legendary axe does anything like that
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/axe-1h/#type=legendary

I mean, one could choose to use The Butcher's Sickle if it had a better roll than a wand but that'd be a poor decision for a wizard unless you liked proc'ing a special that drags enemies toward you! Sky Splitter's chance to smite an enemy won't even proc on a ranged character so, again, while the dps might roll higher it wouldn't be optimal.

The arguments based on these objections are boiling down to people basing their decisions on the game's mechanics around crappy rolls on gear. It certainly isn't accurate when discussing higher level gear and it definitely isn't true that melee weapon *holding* casters are breaking diablo lore (neither RPG lore).

Last edited:
Ok I'll bite. Why do people that play casters pick Skorn as their go to weapon when so many better choices exist like Slorak's Madness? Are they just bad at the game? Or does the stats on Skorn benefit them more than the stuff you linked? Like maybe the 1476 Skorn top end dps compared to the 1001.6 Slorak's Madness?

Not even trying to argue. Maybe you're right that Slorak's Madness is better. I would like to know how.

skorns are cheap dps

I checked the AH and it looks like high end slorak madness wands range from 30 million to 250 million. Contrast that with Comte's skorn for 3m and keep in mind that a high end tri source ranges from 30m to 1 billion! :O

I can't find any BiS wizard guides or discussions that recommend skorn.

Last edited:
Ok I'll bite. Why do people that play casters pick Skorn as their go to weapon when so many better choices exist like Slorak's Madness? Are they just bad at the game? Or does the stats on Skorn benefit them more than the stuff you linked? Like maybe the 1476 Skorn top end dps compared to the 1001.6 Slorak's Madness?

Not even trying to argue. Maybe you're right that Slorak's Madness is better. I would like to know how.

Skorn has black damage. Wizards can stack +% elemental damage which bumps up black damage multiplicatively. Hard hitting 2 hander is great for slow attacks like meteor.

For ubers and proccing crit mass + freeze thing, Skorn is trash. AP on crit, crit chance, attack speed for crit mass build.

Skorn has black damage. Wizards can stack +% elemental damage which bumps up black damage multiplicatively. Hard hitting 2 hander is great for slow attacks like meteor.

For ubers and proccing crit mass + freeze thing, Skorn is trash. AP on crit, crit chance, attack speed for crit mass build.

Very true, but there are other specs besides critical mass. But why isn't a staff better for meteor builds. Why does that black damage thing exist if it obviously makes unintended weapons better for casters? To me black damage inflates dps numbers and creates imbalances in the game.

Well like I said I didn't want to argue, and both of you were very civil. I just think the game is like a runaway math problem where formula A inflates stat #1 and makes weapons that you would think are good bad. Then they patch it but create more imbalances and inflation of more stats.

It always irked me because I know they can do better if you look at their MMO World of Warcraft. When they have inflated stats there they fix it even if it ticks off part of the community. In D3 they break it more even though they did try to patch attack speed and I thought everyone was going to mutiny. Anyway it's all good as at least some people really like it and that's all that counts. :)

If a staff existed that could roll damage as high as the Skorn then casters would use that.

The black damage thing is a flawed concept, yet working as intended according to Blue.

If a staff existed that could roll damage as high as the Skorn then casters would use that.

The black damage thing is a flawed concept, yet working as intended according to Blue.

That's the problem though. Working as intended to inflate stats that causes the runaway train when you're really geared. Like they never envisioned stat inflation happening. Or attack speed stacking. Ha ha remember that legendary shield we used to drop to mess with guys in your group. It was so bad and you could buy them for a song and drop them all day. I got cursed out for trolling with those by a buddy one day. It also was my first legendary drop solo. :(

I don't know man. I wonder about the D3 development team. Like wtf were you thinking? LOL :)

Maybe they will add in a black damage staff with 2x extra stat inflation in the expansion to balance out the Skorn. j/k

Black damage is just part of the problem, its just that numbers rise at a polynomial rate. Damage is something to the effect of

Weapon Damage * (crit chace + 1 * crit damge) * attack speed * elemental damage * main stat.

Which is effectively x^5. Given lower level equipment and less of a chance for 6 stat rolls, the numbers actually rise at a good pace up to lvl 60.

When I started inferno i was probably at 17k dps. I peaked at 50k dps against diablo (which I couldnt use vs diablo, I sacrificed dps for survivability). After all the item buffs (grossly large drop rates, higher affix ranges, more higher ilvl equipment, higher legendary drops, massive legendary buffs, worthwhile crafts), I quickly made it to 300k on my wizard. I dont know the solution, most fixes in my mind would kill the experience for a lot of people who have worked under the current system. They should've prevented trifecta from even existing, but i guess its easier to spot that in hindsight.

I dont get why people get so upset about what type of weapon you're wearing, gear shouldnt define a class, skills should. I remember Meteor in NWN2, was freaking awesome. It was either a single area and hit it with 4 meteors, or shower over a massive area. It was a decent replacement for Timestop that existed in BG1&2 and NWN1. That spell was gamebreaking. I could run around naked and topple armies if i wanted to, my Wizard was just that badass. In fact, I think I'll fire up BG and do it now.

Ha ha remember that legendary shield we used to drop to mess with guys in your group. It was so bad and you could buy them for a song and drop them all day. I got cursed out for trolling with those by a buddy one day. It also was my first legendary drop solo. :(

Hah. I remember. You know, I used to get so many of those Frostburns, Strongarms, And Andy's Visages. I've actually not gotten any of those in a long time, and I just farm VotA when I do hop on for Demonics. I don't even kill trash. I hop on mp7 and go straight for packs.

Did find two Inna's pants today. Both garbage.

Crafted my fist trifecta amulet today....not a very good one, but it is a dps boost for my Monk

dextrifecta.jpg

Funny thing is I have made around 250+ amulets for my barb, best one is 320 str, 9.5 cc, 65 cd. This was like the 10th dex one I crafted. :mad:

Back