Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

If you value your sanity then don't expect the servers 100% up on launch day. Too many people hitting the login button killing the servers. Wait a for days.

Uh huh. That's the exact response I'd expect from someone who's planning on playing Day 1 himself, but trying to convince others not to so he can have error-free servers. :p

In all honesty though, you're probably right. Despite how big Blizzard is, they've always seemed to have a history with problem-riddled launch/patch days. Still though, I'll be one of the ones hammering the server when I get home from work that morning as that'll be the beginning of my weekend. :D

If you value your sanity then don't expect the servers 100% up on launch day. Too many people hitting the login button killing the servers. Wait a for days.

it wont be that bad :). will be playable for sure

Uh huh. That's the exact response I'd expect from someone who's planning on playing Day 1 himself, but trying to convince others not to so he can have error-free servers. :p

In all honesty though, you're probably right. Despite how big Blizzard is, they've always seemed to have a history with problem-riddled launch/patch days. Still though, I'll be one of the ones hammering the server when I get home from work that morning as that'll be the beginning of my weekend. :D

While I know that WoW expansion launches haven't been buttery, I don't remember anything being terrible with the SCII launch and this will be more similar to that than anything WoW-related.

Can't wait for release. For a long time I really did not care too much about Diablo 3, and had no intention on pre ordering it. Well now I am anxiously anticipating it and also have it pre ordered @ Best Buy. I hope they will do a midnight release... I just want to get it installed so I can play it after work on the 15th.

Did you play the beta? I was meh on diablo 3 too, and then I played the beta and I'm even more so. Was thinking I'll wait a while, but get it at some point. Now I don't think I'll even do that. Realized I was done with diablo 2, time to move on.

Did you play the beta? I was meh on diablo 3 too, and then I played the beta and I'm even more so. Was thinking I'll wait a while, but get it at some point. Now I don't think I'll even do that. Realized I was done with diablo 2, time to move on.
Was the exact opposite experience for me.

My Book of Cain arrived today.

zO5W1.jpg

H6gp7.jpg

Fuck you, yes, I have girly hands.

Super stoked to start reading.

Mine came yesterday afternoon, but I was at work. Similarly stoked.

Yeah I played the beta. And from everything I have read, the full game should be 100x better. It's a Blizzard game... Plus tons of friends will be playing it. And I am only paying like $10 for it from Best Buy because I have $50 in reward zone money. I probably would not buy it on release for $60 however.

As far as the RMAH goes, I doubt I use it much. My goal would be to eventually make up the $60 I spent on the game, and that's about it. Purchasing-wise, I doubt I ever buy anything at all unless I find something I really want for like $5

As far as the RMAH goes, I doubt I use it much. My goal would be to eventually make up the $60 I spent on the game, and that's about it. Purchasing-wise, I doubt I ever buy anything at all unless I find something I really want for like $5

I know I will be spending $0 on the RMAH. However I would sell items on it. Just seems like an absolute waste to spend real money on items that you can get in game. Just my opinion.

I wonder if any of you have a job. :p

I plan to buy on the RMAH, but it all depends on prices. Sellers losing $1 minimum on gear really sucks, imo. I was hoping to pick up leveling gear for cheap.

Spending $10-20 on items should really enhance my experience and prevent me from having to grind excessively. There's no point in selling because without any barrier to entry (as there would be with a real job), people will be willing to "work" for almost nothing/hour. Why grind out the equivalent of $2/hour when I make so much more from actual work? I'm playing hte game to have fun, not make money.

But yea, just hoping for low prices, that minimum $1 annoys me because gear that's useful for the easier difficulties would most likely have been cheaper with merely a percentage based fee.

Very few think of the option to spend money on the AH to make money quicker. That's the way it works in real life, wouldn't doubt it works that way in the game.

I plan to buy on the RMAH, but it all depends on prices. Sellers losing $1 minimum on gear really sucks, imo. I was hoping to pick up leveling gear for cheap.

Spending $10-20 on items should really enhance my experience and prevent me from having to grind excessively. There's no point in selling because without any barrier to entry (as there would be with a real job), people will be willing to "work" for almost nothing/hour. Why grind out the equivalent of $2/hour when I make so much more from actual work? I'm playing hte game to have fun, not make money.

But yea, just hoping for low prices, that minimum $1 annoys me because gear that's useful for the easier difficulties would most likely have been cheaper with merely a percentage based fee.

the flat rate is there for when they balance and change weapons though. so it kind of makes sense

most of the lower level shit will be on the gold AH so just buy gold from the RMAH :D

I probably won't use the RMAH ever but its nice to know the option exists. While I do have a job :D I also have enough free time to grind in games that are worth the time and effort. Besides with the way D3 is set up I feel there is going to be an expansion sooner or later and then all that money spent on vanilla gear seems wasted.

I probably won't use the RMAH ever but its nice to know the option exists. While I do have a job :D I also have enough free time to grind in games that are worth the time and effort. Besides with the way D3 is set up I feel there is going to be an expansion sooner or later and then all that money spent on vanilla gear seems wasted.

within three years supposedly there will be an expansion.

OK, stupid question, but I'm assuming Diablo 3 CE is sold out everywhere and they will not be making more?

Sold out nearly everywhere. Head to a store that doesn't take pre-orders for the best opportunity. I'd start with Fry's if there's one in your area.

No PvP at launch, muddy textures, barely 400MB of VRAM used, still DX9; and I was afraid that my old system would not have been able to play it smoothly. This game will be one big troll.

No PvP at launch, muddy textures, barely 400MB of VRAM used, still DX9; and I was afraid that my old system would not have been able to play it smoothly. This game will be one big troll.

Pot calling kettle black.

Are people really upset that a Blizzard game looks like a Blizzard game? It's like complaining that a Valve game uses the Source engine.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if D3 goes free-to-play in 1 year, and ends up making more money than most MMO's, although probably not WoW.

Solution, don't buy it.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if D3 goes free-to-play in 1 year, and ends up making more money than most MMO's, although probably not WoW.

lolwut?

RMAH is Blizzards way of introducing a new P2P system and how wonderful it will be, expect more companies to follow if this will become successful :)

No problem. I'll likely have a store with everything you need on the cheap! ;)

Are people really upset that a Blizzard game looks like a Blizzard game? It's like complaining that a Valve game uses the Source engine.

It's a good point, but there's no reason they couldn't have sharpened-up the textures a bit, at least. It's not like they're not technically capable.

I don't mind the somewhat "cartoony" look, but it still could be higher-res than it is, and people would be happier. Gameplay matters most, but the better the visuals, the more immersion, as with any visual form of media.

Look at Path of Exile... indie developers, and they've pulled-off outstanding visuals unseen in the Diablo-style genre of hack-n-slash. The game looking fucking amazing.

I'll be playing the shit out of D3, because it's fun, and that's really all that matters, but it would be even more fun for me if the visuals were at least more crisp, a little more detailed, because good visuals add to a game, and no one can claim otherwise.

It would be like saying that it wouldn't matter if, when listening to a band, everything sounded great except for one instrument which sounded like shit, and claiming it makes no difference.

If GGG could pull-off what they have with Path of Exile, and Anet could pull-off what they have with GW2 in their own amazingly beautiful style, there's no reason why Blizzard couldn't tighten-up the visuals with D3. It's just lazy.

RMAH is Blizzards way of introducing a new P2P system and how wonderful it will be, expect more companies to follow if this will become successful :)

Really don't understand why more people don't feel this way. Be entertained and make a little cash on the side, hell yes.

So with the RMAH, does that mean they're going to have no trade function? I don't see why anyone would bother with the RMAH and its fees if they could just sell items the way they did in D2 and trade, completely negating any loss in profits.

Should've clarified, by free-to-play, i mean you don't have to buy it. Like TF2.

So with the RMAH, does that mean they're going to have no trade function? I don't see why anyone would bother with the RMAH and its fees if they could just sell items the way they did in D2 and trade, completely negating any loss in profits.

Legitimacy. Why risk key loggers, account hacks, and the risk of getting ripped off when there is a sanctioned and safe way?

The trade window is still there.

Should've clarified, by free-to-play, i mean you don't have to buy it. Like TF2.

Probably not. What keeps TF2 free to play is the lock and key mechanic and the constant update of items that they sell in their store where they effectively let people buy power.

Blizzard, with World of Warcraft, at least, has only sold non-impact items on their store. No armor. No weapons. No abilities. Simply pets and mounts.

And I think the revenue that they'll gain from selling copies of the game will be more than the revenue that they gain from the auction house. Even long term.

It's my understanding that Blizzard saw potential to limit scamming and the usefulness of 3rd party auction sites by implementing their own, sanctioned system for trading items in Diablo 3. As a side benefit they make money (maybe too much, but that's to be determined). Honestly, I think the biggest use of the auction hall will be the gold auction hall, which functions similar to World of Warcraft's where you simply buy and sell for in-game gold where the rip-off 15% fees don't mean as much. That way you don't have to deal with someone scamming you and you don't have be online to dispose of the loot you picked up.

If I use the RMAH at all it would be to buy some super-rare item that was really going to benefit me or complete some set of armor I'd been looking for ages to complete and simply couldn't find it on the gold AH. Even then, it would have to be fairly low priced.

I have the feeling a lot of people will put all kinds of junk on the RMAH at first, thinking they're going to get-rich-quick.

It's a good point, but there's no reason they couldn't have sharpened-up the textures a bit, at least. It's not like they're not technically capable.

I don't mind the somewhat "cartoony" look, but it still could be higher-res than it is, and people would be happier. Gameplay matters most, but the better the visuals, the more immersion, as with any visual form of media.

Look at Path of Exile... indie developers, and they've pulled-off outstanding visuals unseen in the Diablo-style genre of hack-n-slash. The game looking fucking amazing.

I'll be playing the shit out of D3, because it's fun, and that's really all that matters, but it would be even more fun for me if the visuals were at least more crisp, a little more detailed, because good visuals add to a game, and no one can claim otherwise.

It would be like saying that it wouldn't matter if, when listening to a band, everything sounded great except for one instrument which sounded like shit, and claiming it makes no difference.

If GGG could pull-off what they have with Path of Exile, and Anet could pull-off what they have with GW2 in their own amazingly beautiful style, there's no reason why Blizzard couldn't tighten-up the visuals with D3. It's just lazy.
And I personally think that PoE looks bland, washed out, and at times downright ugly. I would rather have high quality art that is a slightly lower resolution than a super high res rendering of poo. Having said that, I apologize for getting somewhat offtopic. Further discussion of the relative merits of art design between D3 and PoE can be debated in the PoE vs D3 thread in this same subforum.

It's my understanding that Blizzard saw potential to limit scamming and the usefulness of 3rd party auction sites by implementing their own, sanctioned system for trading items in Diablo 3. As a side benefit they make money (maybe too much, but that's to be determined). Honestly, I think the biggest use of the auction hall will be the gold auction hall, which functions similar to World of Warcraft's where you simply buy and sell for in-game gold where the rip-off 15% fees don't mean as much. That way you don't have to deal with someone scamming you and you don't have be online to dispose of the loot you picked up.

If I use the RMAH at all it would be to buy some super-rare item that was really going to benefit me or complete some set of armor I'd been looking for ages to complete and simply couldn't find it on the gold AH. Even then, it would have to be fairly low priced.

I have the feeling a lot of people will put all kinds of junk on the RMAH at first, thinking they're going to get-rich-quick.

I think this is a pretty good assessment I mean eventually only the rarest of items will be on the RMAH.. once people realize that selling them for a huge amount of gold is less beneficial even if you sell the gold.. gold is a commodity and therefore doesnt have a flat fee for sales it has a 15% listing fee instead of the dollar. So the high end items will be sold on the RMAH the shitty ones on the gold.

I wonder what the highest tier of gems will go for. The quality is deterministic, so I can imagine they will maintain a steady price. Last I heard, you need an assload level 5 gems (highest dropped from monsters) to make a level 14 gem. It was somewhere around 19k.

This is Blizzard and they've *always* been mindful of the guy who's got a machine that may be a bit long in the tooth. I remember before WoW came out, people in the Everquest 2 camp were laughing at WoW and its cartoon style saying that it's terrible and it'll never succeed.

I wonder what the highest tier of gems will go for. The quality is deterministic, so I can imagine they will maintain a steady price. Last I heard, you need an assload level 5 gems (highest dropped from monsters) to make a level 14 gem. It was somewhere around 19k.

What? 19,000 dropped gems for one top tier gem? That's a bit ridiculous lol

I take it they're going to have another cube to accomplish the transmutation?

This is Blizzard and they've *always* been mindful of the guy who's got a machine that may be a bit long in the tooth. I remember before WoW came out, people in the Everquest 2 camp were laughing at WoW and its cartoon style saying that it's terrible and it'll never succeed.

Sure, though WoW is an aquired taste, visually. I never did like the look, and now it just looks old, too.

That said, D3 with the FXAA injector and minor tweaks looks fine by me.

Back