Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

My route for act 3
Keep Level 3
Keep Level 2
Skycrown Battlement
The Bridge of Korsikk (Actually fields of slaughter)
Rakkis Crossing to siegebreaker (kill for loot, or restart here for faster exp)

I'm really going for XP, but with my recent upgrades I've been boosting my kill speed to ~18mil an hour with that run. I'm glass cannon type, and using electrocude the few times I'm not in archon mode. 24% run speed (boots and bracers) makes a big difference to speed up farming.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Deliverer-1886/hero/3900763

Yeah I tried out 24% move speed with a legendary sword (2Her, sultan something) I found last night, nothing serious since it was a big downgrade for me weapon wise, really just wanted to test out movespeed and 24% is seriously fun as a sprint nado barb. Not sure how much sprint adds, but then you add in berserker which is another 20% I believe and I was seriously flying across the map lol.

How are you guys getting so much damage with your Wizards? I've been farming Act 1 without problem, but now I've ventured into Act 2 so I can increase my chances of getting ilvl 63 gear...needless to say, it is no walk in the park. Also, it's roughly a ~5k loss in gold if I die. What is the strategy/build that makes it look so easy for some of you?

Here is my build: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/sk7nny-1116/hero/9697325

30k damage on a wizard is way low compared to the 80k+ you guys are dishing out... I looked around the AH for some increased critical chance gear and some of that is way out of my price range. I have about 3 mil in the bank.

How are you guys getting so much damage with your Wizards? I've been farming Act 1 without problem, but now I've ventured into Act 2 so I can increase my chances of getting ilvl 63 gear...needless to say, it is no walk in the park. Also, it's roughly a ~5k loss in gold if I die. What is the strategy/build that makes it look so easy for some of you?

30k damage on a wizard is way low compared to the 80k+ you guys are dishing out... I looked around the AH for some increased critical chance gear and some of that is way out of my price range. I have about 3 mil in the bank.

You said it yourself, CRIT. Its how everyone pushes up their dps, its not a secret and it shouldn't be suprising that its friggin expensive.

Let me ask you some quick ?s
How long have you been playing inferno?
How long have you been farming A1?

The only reason I ask is I see a lot of posts saying this and it usually goes something like this. The person just dinged 60, ran through A1 a few times and then gets stomped in A2. Then player gets frustrated that they can't progress. Its a grinding, farming game. I ran A1 sooooo many times to the point of ridiculousness a couple months back. If this isn't your cup of tea, well then they have the perfect thing, the RMAH, bust out that CC and start owning.

Last edited:
Indeed. After tallying up all my gear expenses thus far from my AH history, I had spent over 100M in total. I don't think it's even optimal either as I opt for attack speed over crit hit damage. I also emphasize most of my dps on jewelery, weapon/offhand and gloves. The rest emphasize defense pretty heavily, though I try not to skimp on the Int bonuses there either. Most of my new gear came from just playing the game and getting lucky. I was dirt poor before 1.0.4 and made it to where I was through some great finds.

This weekend was pure win for me.

Friday DPS 63k Sunday DPS 112k DPS.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/10075789

New AXE ......Found it
New Belt ......Fount it
New Amulet......Found it

But Now I'm at an upgrade limit. I need to replace my old 3 piece Zunimassa's set ......... but the cost would be astronomical. 150million at least to get a good upgraded ring, boots, and armor...........So I'm done upgrading.

New AXE ......Found it
New Belt ......Fount it
New Amulet......Found it

But Now I'm at an upgrade limit. I need to replace my old 3 piece Zunimassa's set ......... but the cost would be astronomical. 150million at least to get a good upgraded ring, boots, and armor...........So I'm done upgrading.

That is a heck of a nice DPS upgrade.

I'll take a significant buff to a wide variety of skills at the cost of inconveniencing owners of one particular legendary item any day of the week. The way they've reduced the effectiveness of both snares and CCs in Hell/Inferno basically destroyed the viability of a lot of skills.

I was having fun using Arcane Mines as my damage dealer and it was a pretty fun build. In Inferno nothing even gets slowed down, yet the damage and arming time of the mines is balanced around having a slowing effect...it throws the balance completely off. It's the same with Entangling Shot and various other skills: why bother with them when other skills do more damage and some don't even require aiming.

See, this dude gets it. It was such a big turnoff for me when i got to inferno. I would have liked this game so much more if i purchased it after 1.0.5.

At least all their changes are good.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

New AXE ......Found it
New Belt ......Fount it
New Amulet......Found it

Wow... just wow.

Finally got my Wizard to 32k dps >_>

It's not a quick road to get there, but here is the key to dps. Crit chance, crit damage, and IAS. More importantly, knowing what to look for on each slot. At the beginning of gearing, IAS gives a better return on straight up dps, but it's not always the best solution since it may arcane stave you. If you go with arcane orb or any arcane drainer...

Find crit chance/dmg on the following pieces: gloves, rings amulet.
Then get crit chance on bracers, helmet, and offhand.
Lastly get a socketed weapon with crit damage already in it, and drop an emeral in it and slowly upgrade the gem. Even a 750dps weapon will outshine a 900 if it has critdmg and a socket on it (with enough crit chance on the rest of the gear).

Aim for about 33% crit to begin with and push up your crit damage as high as possible. Once you also get arcane on crit, you can boost your dps more with IAS.

Ther rest of gear is for more int and survival.
Boots with run speed.
Legs and chest with sockets as you afford them
Belt and shoulders with armor and/ore resist all.

No one piece needs everything on it, just the tidbits I described above, sprink as much int and vit as you can afford as you upgrade.

Determine a relative rate of your income and aim for upgrading only a few pieces a week. To start, many small upgrades will be better than one godly item. The ah is so flooded, getting a good inferno act 2 starter set should be doable with about 3 million.

There are dps damage calculators online where you can plug in your gear and see how much of an upgrade it is. Damage calculation is multiplicative, so as you gear correctly, each upgrade will begin to show bigger and bigger gains until you're on the right track with every slot

^^ You say, 'no one piece needs everything'...

But i've been trying to get vit/resist all on each piece of gear, and have mostly succeeded, and i'm still a squishy bitch at 35k hp, and 650 resist all with shield on. How are you skipping res all on pieces and still surviving?

You said it yourself, CRIT. Its how everyone pushes up their dps, its not a secret and it shouldn't be suprising that its friggin expensive.

Let me ask you some quick ?s
How long have you been playing inferno?
How long have you been farming A1?

The only reason I ask is I see a lot of posts saying this and it usually goes something like this. The person just dinged 60, ran through A1 a few times and then gets stomped in A2. Then player gets frustrated that they can't progress. Its a grinding, farming game. I ran A1 sooooo many times to the point of ridiculousness a couple months back. If this isn't your cup of tea, well then they have the perfect thing, the RMAH, bust out that CC and start owning.

I beat Act 2 a few weeks ago and have since just been farming Act 1. Never did I say I was getting stomped or frustrated, just that I no longer melt through monsters which is why I ask about ways to increase damage. My Wiz has been lvl 60 for a few months. Probably played through Act 1 about 40-50 times? I will admit I've spent a lot of gold on combining gems mostly for a low level barb that I was making. Became bored with that, so went back to farming. I used to play D2 back in the day with an account full of PvP chars...I understand it is a grind game. My question wasn't about that...it was ways to increase damage on my wiz.

Apparently it is any form or variation of Critical hit Damage and Critical hit Chance. Got it.

Thanks botd!

Based on how much my old gear ISN'T selling even at low prices I'd say you'd be able to upgrade to a much better Weapon and gloves for 3 million. Which will make your DPS sky rocket.

Look for 50% + crit Damage 900+ dps weapon.
Look for 8+ crit Change Gloves. You can either get all res or crit damage as a secondary......but getting both will cost you.

I have some of my old gear that on the Auction house for dirt cheap and it still isn't selling.

1050 DPS 1 hander with 95% crit damage didn't sell for 1 million......I was floored that nobody picked it up at that price. I think I put the minimum bid for 500,000 with no max last night...................I paid like 10 million for this thing not more than a month ago.

Apparently it is any form or variation of Critical hit Damage and Critical hit Chance. Got it.

stupid huh? IAS needs to be evenly balanced in there, as well as Int (or w/e main stat)... but there should even be more.

1050 DPS 1 hander with 95% crit damage didn't sell for 1 million......I was floored that nobody picked it up at that price. I think I put the minimum bid for 500,000 with no max last night...................I paid like 10 million for this thing not more than a month ago.

It is pretty crazy isn't it. I'm in the same boat and the general feeling I get is that its everywhere. I've gotten to the point where my stash is full of great gear, nothing GODLY, but still great gear that I would've loved to have when I dinged 60 or even trying to push on to A2 and 3. But now nothing is selling, so as hard as it is, I've literally been vendoring everything.

What is that 1050 DPS 1Her? And is that 95% base crit? I'm assuming no socket.

This is almost unbelievable to me... i look at the AH from time to time for upgrades, and shit's always expensive as hell.

It's probably because of the filters. I don't want a downgrade in vit/resAll/int, so i throw those values in the filter, and add what i want to pick up, say... crit... and shit's as expensive as hell.

^^ You say, 'no one piece needs everything'...

But i've been trying to get vit/resist all on each piece of gear, and have mostly succeeded, and i'm still a squishy bitch at 35k hp, and 650 resist all with shield on. How are you skipping res all on pieces and still surviving?

Glass cannon mentality. I hardly get hit because I kill things before they can attack. It's fast and fun, but reckless. This is why I play softcore because of how reckless I can play.

A crashing market is a double edged sword. On one hand your items don't sell for what they used to. On the other, it's never been cheaper to get a viable starter set for inferno. Godly item prices haven't gone down, but by no means arey they necessary to complete or even start farming act 3

I have 2mil in gold... i really just need to suck it up and spend some time pouring over the AH and get some real upgrades. Still only at 15% chance to crit... having that at 33% would be amazing.

After all, 33% chance to crit is exactly the point my MM/survival hunter turned absolute beast-mode ^_^

I took a huge hit to DPS in order to get LOH on my weapon. But I'm sitting now at 48% crit chance and ~225% crit hit damage; only around 45k DPS. With the other weapon I have, I was up to around 58k DPS but my survivability was total garbage.

I got super lucky very early on finding a nice rare source; 38-315 dmg, +vit, +int, (low stats, but still) 8% crit chance and a socket. It's made all the difference and it's super hard to find an upgrade for it that is in the realm of affordability. It also doesn't help that you can't sort by +dmg in the AH for sources still; you have people putting up Occy's for millions of gold but with only around +50 dmg, it's ridiculous and clogs up the AH :(.

I took a huge hit to DPS in order to get LOH on my weapon. But I'm sitting now at 48% crit chance and ~225% crit hit damage; only around 45k DPS. With the other weapon I have, I was up to around 58k DPS but my survivability was total garbage.

I got super lucky very early on finding a nice rare source; 38-315 dmg, +vit, +int, (low stats, but still) 8% crit chance and a socket. It's made all the difference and it's super hard to find an upgrade for it that is in the realm of affordability. It also doesn't help that you can't sort by +dmg in the AH for sources still; you have people putting up Occy's for millions of gold but with only around +50 dmg, it's ridiculous and clogs up the AH :(.

Yep, no dmg sort is annoying. Getting a good occy is my next upgrade. I can skimp on super good dmg range(my current source avg around 175) because the int and crit chance will more than make up for it. I don't want to skimp too far though, hoping to find a 140 avg or higher damage with at least 9.5 crit. The rest (elite dmg and skill modifiers) are just icing on the cake

Your AR is to low push for 400-600 to make it easier on you and maybe some life on hit. You can sacrifice vitality for more resist. Doing ACT III with 24k health and 800AR with 24k dmg.

If you guys are really pushing to paragon level, and your gear is quite good, you should get the 3 piece Cain's set for 30% exp bonus. The pieces are very cheap, and the bonus is great.
But beware, it will take a huge hit on your stats, so make sure you have enough good stats to sacrifice! Ranged Glass Cannonneers , and CM wizs with exceptional perma CC stats can probably pull this off easier than, say, someone who needs to take hits (you will loose a lot of defensive stats!)

I would reccomend this to all other setups who are experienced in Act 1/ possibly act 2 exp farming techniques (That said, Act 3 is still the best in terms of experience, and... well. it's act 3, so chances are you'll probably need real gear)

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/cains-laurel (socket a ruby)

If you guys are really pushing to paragon level, and your gear is quite good, you should get the 3 piece Cain's set for 30% exp bonus. The pieces are very cheap, and the bonus is great.
But beware, it will take a huge hit on your stats, so make sure you have enough good stats to sacrifice! Ranged Glass Cannonneers , and CM wizs with exceptional perma CC stats can probably pull this off easier than, say, someone who needs to take hits (you will loose a lot of defensive stats!)

I would reccomend this to all other setups who are experienced in Act 1/ possibly act 2 exp farming techniques (That said, Act 3 is still the best in terms of experience, and... well. it's act 3, so chances are you'll probably need real gear)

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/cains-laurel (socket a ruby)

I saw someone wearing those + ring + radiant ruby, and said they were getting leveled by someone else. I'm not sure if that's going to be much faster than getting good gear for that price (~25m for ruby and ~40 mil for ring) and knowing good farming spots

Even if I got double exp that I was getting in act 1, it'd still be less than what I'm getting in act 3 now.

I believe +exp% is addative, so we're already talking 200% baseline with NV at 5 stacks and a half mil gold star ruby. Putting an extra +30% exp on top of that is really only 15% more exp than what I'm making now. Taking out 3 pieces of my gear to essentially nothing, would probably cut my dps by about 30%.

It still might be worthwhile if you do have compensating gear, but it will vary for everyone. Beyond getting a ruby in a helmet socket, I would recommend to most people to just work on better gear and find good exp grinding spots for their build.

I saw someone wearing those + ring + radiant ruby, and said they were getting leveled by someone else. I'm not sure if that's going to be much faster than getting good gear for that price (~25m for ruby and ~40 mil for ring) and knowing good farming spots

Even if I got double exp that I was getting in act 1, it'd still be less than what I'm getting in act 3 now.

I believe +exp% is addative, so we're already talking 200% baseline with NV at 5 stacks and a half mil gold star ruby. Putting an extra +30% exp on top of that is really only 15% more exp than what I'm making now. Taking out 3 pieces of my gear to essentially nothing, would probably cut my dps by about 30%.

It still might be worthwhile if you do have compensating gear, but it will vary for everyone. Beyond getting a ruby in a helmet socket, I would recommend to most people to just work on better gear and find good exp grinding spots for their build.

Yeah, it's definitley YMMV.

on another note: http://d3up.com is an up and coming site where you can import your character data from the Armory and get a pretty useful readout. I'm not sure if anyone is already using it, but go ahead and check it out. I don't know about the whole builds sharing thing going on, but as far as importing your character and using it to judge and upgrade your gear, it's much more user friendly than the excel spreadsheets i was using before.

Beyond getting a ruby in a helmet socket, I would recommend to most people to just work on better gear and find good exp grinding spots for their build.

Exactly this. I haven't tested it out hardcore or anything with spreadsheets but just from some gameplay observation from my own and people who stream, I think its probably better to gear yourself to be able to roll through act 3 faster and faster. Besides putting a nice ruby in the helm, I think clearing content faster is much more valuable than trying to stack bonus exp. Basically speed > bonus exp. A lot of the top levelers all have 24% move speed. Speed FTW!

Yeah, it's definitley YMMV.

on another note: http://d3up.com is an up and coming site where you can import your character data from the Armory and get a pretty useful readout. I'm not sure if anyone is already using it, but go ahead and check it out. I don't know about the whole builds sharing thing going on, but as far as importing your character and using it to judge and upgrade your gear, it's much more user friendly than the excel spreadsheets i was using before.

diabloprogress.com is a really cool site as well

Going to take a break from this one until they add an "identify all" button. I waste more time identifying items (I only pick up 61+) than playing it seems. And having to wait just magnifies the horrible feeling knowing that 95% of rares are terrible.

Alkaizer's run is very efficient, but also quite boring. I think doing it burned me out quicker than anything else. We were already down to only having one act be viable for farming / leveling, and doing the run cuts it down to less than half of one act. Makes the game even more repetitive than it already is. The game isn't even challenging at this point.

Also hesitant to spend any money upgrading because all my upgrades cost 50m+ at this point and I predict that prices are going to crash in the near future (gold has already lost half of its value in 2 weeks). Even 'average' rolled set items have almost halved in price.

I just started playing solo games with my DH (which I had leveled solely in public games) and wow, the clear speed is insane compared to my Wizard (who admittedly is tank/MF spec).

For example, Act 3 Keep Depths, I can clear an entire room of normal monsters in 1 multi-shot (crits for 300-400k damage). An elite pack of Phase-beasts has roughly 1.6 million health, and I can reel off 5 straight multi-shots before my hatred runs out. It's not unheard of to burst down an elite pack in less than 5 seconds (if I get lucky with crits), and I just picked up a new quiver that puts me over 50% crit chance on multi-shot (native crit chance + scoundrel + 7% bonus from quiver).

I think it's telling that my Wizard is Paragon level 21 (and that's with a bonus experience gem in my helm from 1.0.4 day one), and my DH is now 17 with far, far less playtime and didn't use a ruby gem until I recently found a socketed Andarial's Visage.

That said, regarding farming efficiency (MF vs clear speed), I notice markedly better loot (quantity and quality) when playing my Wizard (who has close to 370 MF after NV) vs my DH (0 MF from gear). Quality is a bit hard to quantify, but after 5 stacks my DH will get 1,2, or if I'm lucky, 3 rares per elite pack. On my Wizard however, 3 rares is almost a given, and 4-5 rares per drop are not uncommon.

Last edited:
I just started playing solo games with my DH (which I had leveled solely in public games) and wow, the clear speed is insane compared to my Wizard (who admittedly is tank/MF spec).

For example, Act 3 Keep Depths, I can clear an entire room of normal monsters in 1 multi-shot (crits for 300-400k damage). An elite pack of Phase-beasts has roughly 1.6 million health, and I can reel off 5 straight multi-shots before my hatred runs out. It's not unheard of to burst down an elite pack in less than 5 seconds (if I get lucky with crits), and I just picked up a new quiver that puts me over 50% crit chance on multi-shot (native crit chance + scoundrel + 7% bonus from quiver).

I think it's telling that my Wizard is Paragon level 21 (and that's with a bonus experience gem in my helm from 1.0.4 day one), and my DH is now 17 with far, far less playtime and didn't use a ruby gem until I recently found a socketed Andarial's Visage.

That said, regarding farming efficiency (MF vs clear speed), I notice markedly better loot (quantity and quality) when playing my Wizard (who has close to 370 MF after NV) vs my DH (0 MF from gear). Quality is a bit hard to quantify, but after 5 stacks my DH will get 1,2, or if I'm lucky, 3 rares per elite pack. On my Wizard however, 3 rares is almost a given, and 4-5 rares per drop are not uncommon.

What is the dps of your wizard in its mf gear vs your dh? It looks like an apples to bowling balls comparison: 0mf/dps compared to a max mf/ tank build

What is the dps of your wizard in its mf gear vs your dh? It looks like an apples to bowling balls comparison: 0mf/dps compared to a max mf/ tank build

It would be an "apples to bowling balls" comparison if it were simply MF vs non-MF, but I'm talking farming efficiency, i.e. rares per unit-time.

I used the AH for the first time in a long time last night. Good items have definitely gone down in price, but certain slots are still as expensive as hell.

I have a helmet that currently gives me 169 Int and 75 all resist, but nothing else of value... not even a socket. I thought it'd be easy to replace, but when i searched for what i wanted.... cheapest was 20 mil.

I guess that's the flip side of all the filters...

Apparently, everyone wants a helm with:
Int
All Res
Crit
MF
Socket

----

I was also surprised to find building a Lightening spec really hard. Why are there 2 basic lightening spells and no Secondary Lightening spell?

I used the AH for the first time in a long time last night. Good items have definitely gone down in price, but certain slots are still as expensive as hell.

I have a helmet that currently gives me 169 Int and 75 all resist, but nothing else of value... not even a socket. I thought it'd be easy to replace, but when i searched for what i wanted.... cheapest was 20 mil.

I guess that's the flip side of all the filters...

Apparently, everyone wants a helm with:
Int
All Res
Crit
MF
Socket

----

I was also surprised to find building a Lightening spec really hard. Why are there 2 basic lightening spells and no Secondary Lightening spell?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/HCBigAug-1950/hero/13096131

That's a link to my SC wizard. I haven't played him in months. See if there is anything you can use on there.

This is what I was talking about. What are you telling? You'd state that you leveled quicker on your dh than your wizard, and taking that as the only fact, we can't draw any objective conclusions as to why. Was it because one was a tank build and another dps? Was it because one was gimped to max magic find and the other had zero? Was it because you knew better farming routes so the second time you leveled quicker? There are too many variables to make any objective conclusion. Do you like your dh better than your wizard as it currently stands? Probably, but that is a subjective conclusion that tells nothing.

It is apples to bowling balls because there are too many variables, even for talking about farming efficiency. One may be statistically faster than the other but there is no way of telling why. You're comparing dps/tank differences, mf differences, and class differences at the same time with no constant. You can only compare two at most to make any good conclusion. An example would be, would sacrificing dps on my dh for mf with the exact same build be better for rare farming or not?

This is what I was talking about. What are you telling? You'd state that you leveled quicker on your dh than your wizard, and taking that as the only fact, we can't draw any objective conclusions as to why. Was it because one was a tank build and another dps? Was it because one was gimped to max magic find and the other had zero? Was it because you knew better farming routes so the second time you leveled quicker? There are too many variables to make any objective conclusion. Do you like your dh better than your wizard as it currently stands? Probably, but that is a subjective conclusion that tells nothing.

It is apples to bowling balls because there are too many variables, even for talking about farming efficiency. One may be statistically faster than the other but there is no way of telling why. You're comparing dps/tank differences, mf differences, and class differences at the same time with no constant. You can only compare two at most to make any good conclusion. An example would be, would sacrificing dps on my dh for mf with the exact same build be better for rare farming or not?

I mean, it's pretty undeniable that a DH would be able to gain exp faster than a wizard regardless of all those things. The mobility and ease of getting huge damage are enough.

On the front page of [H] there is a link to a story about how Blizzard is adding bar codes with your Account ID and other information to your WoW screenshots. So when you take a pic of your favorite WoW moments your Account ID is forever embedded in them.

Think they are doing the same for D3? Or you think there's no chance of that occurring in other Blizzard games? It might be the source of many hacks on accounts over the years. :)

Anyway just food for thought; I haven't a clue if they are doing the same in D3 or SC2.

Looks like it's just a way for Blizzard to track private servers or exploits.

Since we can only view that pattern by taking screenshots where no textures appear, it doesn't really give hackers much to work with.

edit: plus, Account ID is not the same as your B.Net you use to login. The rest of the info is available in public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone successfully use a Lightening spec for wizard? The thing that really struck me is that there is no AP dump spell which does lightening damage.

Does anyone successfully use a Lightening spec for wizard? The thing that really struck me is that there is no AP dump spell which does lightening damage.

Mine does with living lightning.

I have 11 % stun from my weapon
8 % stun from that Passive
2 % stun from my off hand

Stun Lock down......ish. Doesn't work as good as Tornado or Meteor but still good.

Back