Diablo 3 - Beta thread

Blizzard hasn't even confirmed if the emails have actually gone out, but it looks like a few fan sites got invites already. The rest of the unwashed masses are probably going out after them.

Don't expect to get in, millions of people have signed up, and they'll send out maybe 20,000 invites. Good luck to everyone.

I don't even have a Blizzard game on my Battle.net account so I can't even opt in for the beta...

Damn it

Just received my friends invite.There's just too much biased controversy. I just have to experience it firsthand.

So invites are actually going out? Is that true?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3226942690?page=1

According to the blue there, invites for today have apparently already gone out and they will not do more outside of their business hours.

I find it funny that they announced the opening of the beta today, but nobody had a clue as to whether that meant that they were sending out invites or if they were letting in the press users or what. And then this guy has the gall to get mad at the OP of that thread for requesting a blue post to clear up the shitstorm that they created.

It is fascinating to me how epically terrible PR is between big gaming companies and their communities.

ehh, they announced that beta was starting today and sent out invites to a very small number of people. They have no obligation to tell people when invites are done or anything like that. This is only a problem because the users made it a problem (which it is not).

I never got into Diablo 1 beta... I never got into Diablo 2 beta... I never got into Starcraft 2 beta.... I highly doubt i'll get into Diablo 3 beta.... but i'm still wishing :| LOL

I don't even have a Blizzard game on my Battle.net account so I can't even opt in for the beta...

Damn it

Get the digital version of Diablo 2 from Blizzard or somewhere even cheaper. Register it & then opt in. I think that's the best way to have a chance at least. =)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3226942690?page=1

According to the blue there, invites for today have apparently already gone out and they will not do more outside of their business hours.

I find it funny that they announced the opening of the beta today, but nobody had a clue as to whether that meant that they were sending out invites or if they were letting in the press users or what. And then this guy has the gall to get mad at the OP of that thread for requesting a blue post to clear up the shitstorm that they created.

It is fascinating to me how epically terrible PR is between big gaming companies and their communities.

Yeah, they really should have said if this was press only, which it appears it was. We shall see if any go out today to us peons.

Your right so far all i see and know is people in the press and media that got invites.. = /

I just watched Day9's (one of the most popular SC2 figures) first impressions with D3 yesterday. He had the key for a while but wanted to wait for the NDA to lift for his version of the key before streaming it to a live audience. Excellent commentary as usual. He really emphasizes on subtle design details that won't even register for most people and the general "feel" of the mechanics. He came into the beta pretty much with complete ignorance about the "political" junk that gets discussed over and over on forums (he didn't know about the removal of custom stat allocation for example, but it didn't bother him). It's been a while since I've seen people just play games with that kind of mindset. It had me thinking, that's probably how most of us started playing games when we were younger.

most likely press gotten invites before, but they are not allowed to say much due to NDA. now that the closed beta started, they are allowed to say a lot more and show more stuff.

So what are your thoughts?
I don't think it's strayed too far from the original concept of the Diablo universe. Some people just lover to exaggerated and criticize. It's very polished. I agree with some that it's a bit on the easy side, but the different difficulty modes should change that.
How did this guy get his friends invite? i want one = /
I'm lucky enough to have a friend who works for Blizzard on the Diablo development team. Don't ask how. I just do. :p

Scumbag Blizzard

TOHKY.jpg

Can you still get into the beta? I tried earlier but I don't own any Blizzard game so I couldn't opt in. Used to own D2 and LoD years ago but I got rid of it. Wouldn't mind getting into the game again. Any good deal floating around on D2 that anyone knows of?

Incase you were unaware ForceSC2strategy mentioned in one of his recent Diablo3 videos that the beta that everyone is streaming/uploading to youtube that ends at the Skeleton King is only 1/3rd of act 1. It is not the entire act 1 like most people think.

gaaaaaaaaa where my beta invite :(((((((, 2 of my wow arena buddys got their invite NOOOooo

I don't think anyone non-press or press related has received an invite yet, according to the official forums.

Blizzard basically said "huzzah open beta!" and then "lol but not for anyone who will actually be buying the game."

I think I'll leave this here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/22/how-diablo-iiis-drm-will-affect-you/

Regardless of what you think of the game itself, the various skill changes, the art style, etc, this article is spot-on.

RPS is based in the UK. The guy reviewing the beta is playing on the US servers, because those are the only ones available. So, the game is obviously going to play much worse for him until the EU servers go live with the release. That's something to take into consideration.

The inability to pause seems strange. Not sure why they could not implement that, so I agree with him on that point. If the server is just doing gear/loot checks and the mobs are on the client, that should not be a problem. If he was playing a public game where everyone can join at any time, that game probably cannot be paused. A closed game should be able to, though.

Some of the other stuff is just bullshit, though. Leaving the game on for an hour doing nothing, and you are mad it shuts down? As for the "just make a single player mode," it has been explained repeatedly that they cannot do that without hacking becoming a serious problem.

While the article brings up some valid points, I never played DII offline. In fact it was a waste. The choice that Blizzard made was to protect the game from duping, and other hacking. I really think the whole offline online thing is not a big deal in this day and age. I know some people will disagree, but I am looking forward to this game. Its simple, buy the game or don't. If you don't stop polluting this thread. :mad:

Back