Diablo 3 Beta - Has to be August?

everyone can thank activision and bobby kotick for the way blizzard is heading. only now are activisions policy's starting to extend to our favorite games. WOW was the start, then SC2 and now D3. my only question is this: how much is activision going to nickel and dime us PC gamers? even the almighty valve has caved in and started to exploit PC gamers, adding another revenue stream with RMT

trying to stay positive about this, lets take another look:
with the RMT in AH, players have a SAFE place to purchase/sell their items from. no need for going to some shady ass website and giving billing information to whose database/website security can be suspect. if people are going to use the game to make real money, "if ya can't beat em, join em"

as for the always on internet, the only thing i have to say is this: as long as it is some sort of solution to combat duping/hacking/cheating of some kind, then i'm all for it. if it is simply a form a DRM, then fuck blizzard/activision. we'll likely never know which, but my hope is that this was done to prevent some forms of cheating.

Blizzard has a lot on their plates, how long before we see the other two StarCraft 2 campaigns? It's been over a year since Starcraft 2 was released and I was not blown away with it's graphics or gameplay.

I see two positives to this:

1. They will most likely have a transaction fee that goes to Blizzard which will fund the game so we don't have to pay a monthly fee.
2. Because real money is in play, the game will have a beefy back-end to keep track of all the items and transactions and therefore preventing duping.

The only downside is 'lazy' people can buy gear, but that was happening anyway. At least now it happens completely in game so those people don't have to rely on third party sites and deal with sketchy unofficial trades. If for some reason I quit the game it's nice to know I can possibly liquidate my items and go buy pizza and a beer for my troubles.

I think RMT in games is absurd and ridiculously pathetic, but I can't argue with your logic at all. I am surprised Blizzard is being bold by being one of the first major videogames to implement this, but I had seen the writing on the wall for years now especially with the rise of RMT's built into games that are commercially accepted such as FarmVille and the meteoric rise of out-of-game markets for more recent MMO's.

most of you was planning to play mp only quit bitching

Yeah, I can't say playing singleplayer on this game ever occurred to me, haha.

Cutting the middle man out, Blizzard is most likely making a 5-10% cut from each auction house sale. Thereby getting money they normally wouldn't via Gold farming websites / gold selling websites etc.

I doubt I'll play very much online with the game. 90% singleplayer for me, maybe 95%.
I played my fair share of ladders back in the day, I've lost most of my interest in Blizzard multiplayer games.

Blizzard has a lot on their plates, how long before we see the other two StarCraft 2 campaigns? It's been over a year since Starcraft 2 was released and I was not blown away with it's graphics or gameplay.

When has Blizzard ever made a game that graphically "blows away" anything on the market? Never. Starcraft 2's gameplay is amazing and well balanced , its quite a fun single player game and even better MP. If you don't believe me check out Youtube for the massive amount of content.

The other 2 campaigns are going to release over the next 2 years , one next year and then 2013.

Back to the topic. I'm not crazy about some of the announced changes but Blizzard has yet to disappoint me when it comes to making games that I'll enjoy.

pretty crazy things they're doing. I was upset at first, but after reading through this debate and thinking on it for awhile, i suppose i don't really care. I have purchased items before in D2 of shady sites, and learned my lesson from it--less than 24 hours after my Sorc became the most badass Sorc ever, i was bored because the grind was over ^_^

As long as the real money AH is only player-to-player with no items produced by blizzard, then this will just be fine. It will be just the same as a gold-transaction AH.

And like others have said, i can't really get upset about the always-on internet thing. I played a lot of single player D1 and D2, but that was when I hadn't even gotten into multiplayer gaming. Once i discovered multiplayer D2, i never looked back.

It's pretty ridiculous for SC2 to not have a LAN support. So much lag at MLG Anaheim this weekend!

pretty crazy things they're doing. I was upset at first, but after reading through this debate and thinking on it for awhile, i suppose i don't really care. I have purchased items before in D2 of shady sites, and learned my lesson from it--less than 24 hours after my Sorc became the most badass Sorc ever, i was bored because the grind was over ^_^

As long as the real money AH is only player-to-player with no items produced by blizzard, then this will just be fine. It will be just the same as a gold-transaction AH.

And like others have said, i can't really get upset about the always-on internet thing. I played a lot of single player D1 and D2, but that was when I hadn't even gotten into multiplayer gaming. Once i discovered multiplayer D2, i never looked back.

I was upset a bit too and came to the same feeling as you. I think it's ultimately fine so long as blizzard does not sell items themselves. I have never bought or sold ingame items/gols but if it's a builtin thing I am losing my issue with it rapidly. This made d3 a buy for me whereas I wasn't looking at it much before.

The horrors of a sanctioned, cash money auction house outweigh the horrors of the shadow economy, assuming it results in fewer hacked accounts, key loggers, trojans, etc. I'm also happy to see the opened/closed b.net going away.

I am now more excited about Diablo 3 than before.

Edit: outweigh is probably not the best word. What I mean to say is a Blizzard sanctioned, closed system is the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:
The horrors of a sanctioned, cash money auction house outweight the horrors of the shadow economy, assuming it results in fewer hacked accounts, key loggers, trojans, etc. I'm also happy to see the opened/closed b.net going away.

/agreed good sir.

It's pretty ridiculous for SC2 to not have a LAN support. So much lag at MLG Anaheim this weekend!

Yea , if anything Blizzard should give MLG a special version that allows LAN play. I mean its for a tournament and that needs to be lag free as possible to balance everything.

The horrors of a sanctioned, cash money auction house outweigh the horrors of the shadow economy, assuming it results in fewer hacked accounts, key loggers, trojans, etc. I'm also happy to see the opened/closed b.net going away.

Edit: outweigh is probably not the best word. What I mean to say is a Blizzard sanctioned, closed system is the lesser of two evils.

Lesser of the two evils? Blizzard just wanted the money that ebay was getting.

Where the fuck do people get this insane idea that having to have an internet connection ruins everything?

Seriously, who the fuck doesn't have an internet connection or TWO, given the way phones are.

I'm sure there will be an offline authenticated mode for D3 sp just like sc2. Though I do know it was a pain in the ass, it's still there.

That aside... the AH makes the opportunity for YOU to sell crap you don't want for REAL life money. I think a lot of people miss that. When you pickup that 3rd SOJ that you don't need you'll be like hey.. 15$ bucks man put that shit in my hand or you owe me owe me ohhhh.

That aside, it will be a new and interesting way to change things up... Think about it, it just makes it a little easier for people to buy items. Is this any different than trading SOJs for shit? Not really.. Sure you have to get them somehow... some people duped (made it FAR FAR FAR worse because it floods the market and devalues your honestly earned items).

If they can stop duping and implement this, it's far better. If its easy to plunk down cash, people will do it in blizzards AH rather than go to shady people who wreck the game. This still doesn't mean 99% of everyone is going to be blowing money to get the best gear...

How much do you think the best gear will cost? A lot. So much so it will probably be mostly prohibitive of the children and normal person unless they have no lives. So all it does is give you the opportunity to make some spending money on your extra items if you love to play a lot... and sure a few rich people will be decked out...

This will make gold find builds really interesting.... just hoard gold.. buy out the auctions with in game gold.. repost up for real life gold?

It really does add an interesting aspect... aside for trading for other items it creates an economy system within the game. How often did you just sell a ton of loot for gold that really had little value in D2?

Where the fuck do people get this insane idea that having to have an internet connection ruins everything?

Seriously, who the fuck doesn't have an internet connection or TWO, given the way phones are.

I'm sure there will be an offline authenticated mode for D3 sp just like sc2. Though I do know it was a pain in the ass, it's still there.

That aside... the AH makes the opportunity for YOU to sell crap you don't want for REAL life money. I think a lot of people miss that. When you pickup that 3rd SOJ that you don't need you'll be like hey.. 15$ bucks man put that shit in my hand or you owe me owe me ohhhh.

That aside, it will be a new and interesting way to change things up... Think about it, it just makes it a little easier for people to buy items. Is this any different than trading SOJs for shit? Not really.. Sure you have to get them somehow... some people duped (made it FAR FAR FAR worse because it floods the market and devalues your honestly earned items).

If they can stop duping and implement this, it's far better. If its easy to plunk down cash, people will do it in blizzards AH rather than go to shady people who wreck the game. This still doesn't mean 99% of everyone is going to be blowing money to get the best gear...

How much do you think the best gear will cost? A lot. So much so it will probably be mostly prohibitive of the children and normal person unless they have no lives. So all it does is give you the opportunity to make some spending money on your extra items if you love to play a lot... and sure a few rich people will be decked out...

This will make gold find builds really interesting.... just hoard gold.. buy out the auctions with in game gold.. repost up for real life gold?

Well said...

Lesser of the two evils? Blizzard just wanted the money that ebay was getting.

Of course they did. So would I. They have held out while every other game was adding features like this, and this is basically the perfect game for it.

The lesser of two evils is that if they did not add this, another demon spanwed black market of bots, hackers, key loggers, trojans, and chinese gold farmers would take over D3 like WoW. Hell, I still get 5 emails a day in my spam filter trying to steal a WoW account I haven't played in two years. That will be significantly curbed now. Gold sellers will basically not exist at all.

I think this will be really fund and an interesting experiment. Maybe it will fail, but I doubt it. Just be prepared to see ridiculous gold price deflation almost immediately.

Of course they did. So would I. They have held out while every other game was adding features like this, and this is basically the perfect game for it.

The lesser of two evils is that if they did not add this, another demon spanwed black market of bots, hackers, key loggers, trojans, and chinese gold farmers would take over D3 like WoW. Hell, I still get 5 emails a day in my spam filter trying to steal a WoW account I haven't played in two years. That will be significantly curbed now. Gold sellers will basically not exist at all.

I think this will be really fund and an interesting experiment. Maybe it will fail, but I doubt it. Just be prepared to see ridiculous gold price deflation almost immediately.

The only difference is that the gold farmers have a sanctioned way of going business and a whole new customer base. Do you people really think this new auction house will only have legitimate users? How daft are you people?

All I know is that I will be pimpin' my random junk just to see if some loser buys it :D

Cutting the middle man out, Blizzard is most likely making a 5-10% cut from each auction house sale. Thereby getting money they normally wouldn't via Gold farming websites / gold selling websites etc.

I believe they said that the cut is a flat rate because they didn't want it to seem as though they want to make big profits from the system or something. There are sites out there with more precise wording, but that's the reasoning behind it.

The only difference is that the gold farmers have a sanctioned way of going business and a whole new customer base. Do you people really think this new auction house will only have legitimate users? How daft are you people?

Every player will be a possible competitor which will drive prices to the ground. The Chinese gold farming work force may be vast but still finite. They may find themselves better off selling WoW gold due having few competitors and stealing accounts (they usually steal accounts and CC info from their own customers). By no means are they going to disappear from the D3 market, but I imagine their focus will stay in areas where there's less competition and high profitability.

The only thing I'm worried about is botting which any person can fire up and get stuff.

Blizzard will be triple dipping people that sell items and want to get money. A fee for listing the item (certain amount free per account), a fee for an auction selling, then a fee to withdraw your money from bnet to somewhere else. Awesome :rolleyes:

That said, I'll still be using it for selling the shit I don't need. but I still gotta say, FUCK YOU ACTIVISION! for your obvious greed influence on blizzard.

If the fee will be at a flat rate, I can't imagine it being too high overall since things can be sold at a really low value.

Diablo 3 looks and feels nothing like the Diablo 1-2 games. The art direction went completely different and the style of the writers is also much different, in fact it feels amateur in comparison. Just watch the Diablo 3 trailer again and listen to the narrative and compare it with the videos of Diablo 2.

It will still be a good game, but like SC2 I feel that Diablo 3 will lack that "magic" the other games had that comes from people that have true talent and develop the game with a passion. Current Blizz games feel "over-developed" with a lack of real talent in the story and direction. The texture artists and modellers can make all the pretty stuff they want, but what really matters is the game itself. Just look how long it took to produce SC2 and compare it with how Blizzard made games before WoW. That arduous development cycle doesn't seem to have payed off as SC2 clearly does not have the lasting appeal of SC1, the player dropoff has been enormous - in fact I don't know anyone who still plays it. The immense control Blizzard wants over the player, evidenced with the horrible Battle.net 2.0, just keeps things going in a bad way. The UMS segment of SC2 is extremely unhealthy when compared with SC1, partly due to a clunky and inaccessible map editor and the B.Net 2.0 interface. It's just not looking good for SC2 at all.

As far as Blizzard's snail-pace release schedule goes, Diablo 2 was released in late June of 2000 and its expansion pack, featuring many fully-rendered CGI cutscenes in addition to an excellent new soundtrack and well-polished levels, was relaese just a year later in late June of 2001. That kind of development process looks much different now. With the loss of Blizzard North and the success of WoW, Blizzard has become a much different company.

I agree. Diablo 3 seems to be more of a casual game but we will see once it comes out.

Back