DGL-4500/DIR-655 (?)

Which one would you pick and why? I'm thinking about upgrading my DGL-4300 and I would like to use one of the aforementioned. There are usually at least 6 connections running at any given time in my house - between the iTouchs , cell phones , various PCs , and a couple of laptops. I need a very stable and reliable signal and have been extremely happy with my current router. What do you guys think?

my wireless doesnt work on my dgl-4500. then again i never had anything wireless

If it works why bother buying a new one?
If you want something better get a Netgear WNDR3700 which has faster CPU, more memory and better radio.
//Danne

If you want something better get a Netgear WNDR3700 which has faster CPU, more memory and better radio.
//Danne

The ready share feature allow you to connect to the USB storage device through IP or does it require software?

Never tried using the vendor firmware but according to forum posts I belive it does, I've only used these with OpenWRT,
//Danne

Cool, this might be my next router, currently running DIR-655 and am a little ticked that I need to use Shareport software that is not exactly reliable. The router itself is good, but been looking into an OpenWRT router.

//Danne

I agree with diizzy here. I upgraded from a DGL-4300 to the WNR 2000 and love it, the 3700 offers even more.

Now you guys have me rethinking my whole network plan although I don't need anything elaborate , I'd like to have the best signal strength/connection. Basically that was my only reason for going "N". Is there an app that actually shows your connection rate? I changed the antenna on my nic and am getting full bars but would like to know if I'm connected at 54mbps or 108mbps. Any noticeable difference? Thanks for the replies! ;)

I just moved from a DGL4300 to a WNDR3700, I upgraded my internet connection and the DGL4300 was not able to keep up with the new connection, replaced it with the WND3700 and an instant increase (~25mb/s faster throughput off the cable modem). The biggest increase came on the internal network speeds, I went from ~20MB/s to ~70MB/s when transferring files between wired computers on the network to a WHS.

I cannot comment on the wireless side, it works, laptop and iphone connect (and maintain connection) just as well as the DGL4300, haven’t noticed a change to the speed or range.

I just moved from a DGL4300 to a WNDR3700, I upgraded my internet connection and the DGL4300 was not able to keep up with the new connection, replaced it with the WND3700 and an instant increase (~25mb/s faster throughput off the cable modem). The biggest increase came on the internal network speeds, I went from ~20MB/s to ~70MB/s when transferring files between wired computers on the network to a WHS.

I cannot comment on the wireless side, it works, laptop and iphone connect (and maintain connection) just as well as the DGL4300, haven’t noticed a change to the speed or range.

i just did the same upgrade (4300 to a 3700v2). the netgear router is really good. i dont have one complaint.

as a side note i will be getting a new modem next week, i am real excited to test that out with this new router.

Got a v1 from Newegg (different internal storage and antenna configuration) and it doesn't seem to like my wireless bridge (POS anyways) :( Everything else is generally improved, but my wireless bridge will get these connection hickups where it stays connected by I can't get the internet and can't see internal network until I reboot the bridge.

router.jpg

Back