DGL-4300 errors?

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
I have called DLink tech support and I seem to have stumped them. I am trying to figure out what these errors are, and if I should be worried about them.

errors2kz1.jpg

Nothing to worry about.

Wireless is susceptible to errors due to interference from lots of things. The packets are re-transmitted until they get through.

are those packet errors, or what then? tech support couldn't even clarify that.

Those are wireless packet errors. It happens on all wireless due to interference and other things that the previous post mentions. This is nothing to worry about.

Shouldn't they rename it to "RX Packets Dropped" then?

Edit: On second thought, if you look at LAN and WAN, they both have "RX packets dropped" plus "errors", so, it still doesn't make any sense...

Mine drops 1 in 21 packets, yours drops 1 in every 1300, huge difference... My router is in the same room, are there any settings I can change to help it out?

I noticed that too.

I have my router with no antennae on it, about 3 feet from my laptop, 90% of the time. My signal strength is maxed out.

Are you sure the router is the culprit? It could be one of your devices, or one of your neighbors devices on the fringe of your wireless network that is causing this.

I have my router setup with MAC address filtering and "WPA2 Only" mode.

if the router is too close to the network cards, would that cause errors?

i have the same router i noticed the same thing, not a big deal or at least i havent seen any speed drops

Mine drops 1 in 21 packets, yours drops 1 in every 1300, huge difference... My router is in the same room, are there any settings I can change to help it out?

The difference is just differences in the two environments.

There is a LOT of noise in the same band with wireless routers. Microwave ovens, cordless phones, other routers, etc.

You can try changing channels on the router or change it's physical location to see if you can drop the error rate. The error rate has to get pretty high before it makes any kind of noticeable difference in overall network performance.

Not a problem. :)

The only thing to really worry about for DSL is MTU size.

The router will likely adjust down automatically from 1500 to 1492 for DSL. Sometimes that's not enough though, and you still get fragmented packets. You're better setting it a little too low than too high for best performance. I usually set MTU for 1472 on DSL.

You'll have to do some testing to determine what works best on your connection.

ok, so just try out the mtu then. Anything else in advanced that might help?

Back