• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DFI or ASUS, you vote

Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
25
Okay guys, need some input on my new build. The comp will be used strictly for gaming and not much OCing as it is for my father. I will be using his SATA drive, and corsair pc 3200 ram as well as a BFG 7800GTX.

I'm thinking one of the following:

ASUS:
A8N32-SLI Deluxe

DFI:
LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D

If you have any other suggestions, feel free to drop your two cents.
 
Asus for stability
DFI for performance

Your choice

Edit althouth the the new x32 board appears to clock very well!
 
If you're not overclocking and want a very stable/easy to use gaming system, I'd recommend Asus all the way. For the more "involved" overclocker, DFI offers un-paralleled overclocking options and flexibility...but requires more time and effort to get around many of their Lanparty motherboards BIOS options.
 
Speaking from personal experience I would have to go with Asus. I heard of some minor quirks (excluding the RDX200 problems) here and there with DFI boards although the general consesus is that they are good.

Asus's track record has been great :cool:
 
cornelious0_0 said:
If you're not overclocking and want a very stable/easy to use gaming system, I'd recommend Asus all the way. For the more "involved" overclocker, DFI offers un-paralleled overclocking options and flexibility...but requires more time and effort to get around many of their Lanparty motherboards BIOS options.
yep yep wat he said ^^ asus is a pretty good overclocker itself but the dfi is for the peeps who want to go all out ;)
 
Asus=stability for the win. you dont want your dad calling you at all hours
 
im glad i saw this thread.. i've been looking at either of those board for my new sli setup with an opteron 165 which I want to get to at least 2.6ghz.. which means i'll need an HTT of 289+mhz. I know the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR is capable and newegg has a 10hour sale right now you can pick one up for $169 shipped. The A8N32 is.. well few and far between an almost $100 more.. and im not sure it it will be able to reach that HTT stable.. So I think for me (because I need a high HTT) I will be going with DFI.

But for your dad... Asus for sure.
 
ShiShKaBoB said:
im glad i saw this thread.. i've been looking at either of those board for my new sli setup with an opteron 165 which I want to get to at least 2.6ghz.. which means i'll need an HTT of 289+mhz. I know the DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR is capable and newegg has a 10hour sale right now you can pick one up for $169 shipped. The A8N32 is.. well few and far between an almost $100 more.. and im not sure it it will be able to reach that HTT stable.. So I think for me (because I need a high HTT) I will be going with DFI.

But for your dad... Asus for sure.

I'd vote DFI for you for sure...at least I wouldn't need two seconds to rethink things.

For most peoples dads I'd recommend Asus, if someone has no direct need or reason to be dealing with all the finicky little options/compatibility issues that can pop up with some of the more tweakable boards out there...why bother?
 
Well, asus is great if your not messin with anything, and dfi is sweet if your OCing. ou make the call :D
 
ASUS.....and a pcp&c 510 sli ;)
HAR!! I am somebody's Dad and I built my son a new rig with an ASUS a8n-SLI Deluxe, corsair XMS and a 7800 GTX.....runs smooth, no problems! :D
 
magoo said:
ASUS.....and a pcp&c 510 sli ;)
HAR!! I am somebody's Dad and I built my son a new rig with an ASUS a8n-SLI Deluxe, corsair XMS and a 7800 GTX.....runs smooth, no problems! :D

Nobody is saying that the rig you just built (being someones dad or not) wouldn't run smooth without any problems...that's exactly what we ARE saying. However, if you get right down to the "nitty gritty" of it, a DFI SLI-DR is the best/most flexible/capable s939 motherboard on the market, but should only really be approached by those willing to put in countless hours tweaking the multitude of memory timings/settings and working with different BIOS revisions constantly...some things that are a basic pre-requisit for those truely interested in getting the most out of their board/rig.
 
cornelious0_0 said:
Nobody is saying that the rig you just built (being someones dad or not) wouldn't run smooth without any problems...that's exactly what we ARE saying. However, if you get right down to the "nitty gritty" of it, a DFI SLI-DR is the best/most flexible/capable s939 motherboard on the market, but should only really be approached by those willing to put in countless hours tweaking the multitude of memory timings/settings and working with different BIOS revisions constantly...some things that are a basic pre-requisit for those truely interested in getting the most out of their board/rig.

I really dont appreciate being talked down to, thank you. I am very familiar with DFI and their products. I would rather play my games than play with voltages, that's all. I appreciate stability and thats why I recommend ASUS boards. :D and I really am somebody's dad, but it had no derogatory sentiment.
 
I really dont appreciate being talked down to, thank you.

Don't really see how I did...never intended to imply anything by saying what I did...just stating the facts...which really don't collid a whole lot with what you're saying to begin with.

I would rather play my games than play with voltages, that's all. I appreciate stability and thats why I recommend ASUS boards.

A fair statement...and you are pretty much only backing up what I already said...long story short:

- Anybody who would rather play with voltages then play games, DFI is probly for you. For anyone who'd rather enjoy a more reliable system (not to say DFI isn't reliable) and for someone who enjoys playing games and USING their computer more then overclocking it...Asus is right up your alley. -
 
I recommend you get the ASUS, Especially if this is your first AMD. If it's not still, the DFI requires a decent amount of tweaking. I personally fired it right up first try, but it doesn't always work that way for everyone.
 
XSNiper said:
I recommend you get the ASUS, Especially if this is your first AMD. If it's not still, the DFI requires a decent amount of tweaking. I personally fired it right up first try, but it doesn't always work that way for everyone.

I agree with the reasoning behind that for sure...for a first time "AMDer" Asus is definitely the way to go.
 
XSNiper said:
I recommend you get the ASUS, Especially if this is your first AMD. If it's not still, the DFI requires a decent amount of tweaking. I personally fired it right up first try, but it doesn't always work that way for everyone.

The DFI board is great but this guy was lucky. I have yet to build a system on a DFI board that did not require tweaking to run properly. (I have built many on their boards.) Once you get the config right it is as stable as the Asus...and faster. Asus boards are far easier to setup but tend to be a bit slower. Easy way to think of it is that DFI = Aggressive bios setting = tweaks...Asus = normal bios = easy to use. BTW between the two the performance is very close. Only benchmarks would show any difference one way or the other.
 
AACDIRECT said:
The DFI board is great but this guy was lucky. I have yet to build a system on a DFI board that did not require tweaking to run properly. (I have built many on their boards.) Once you get the config right it is as stable as the Asus...and faster. Asus boards are far easier to setup but tend to be a bit slower. Easy way to think of it is that DFI = Aggressive bios setting = tweaks...Asus = normal bios = easy to use. BTW between the two the performance is very close. Only benchmarks would show any difference one way or the other.

I don' really see a need to say anything else...you hit it right on bro. :cool:
 
If you won't be OC'ing, stick with Asus. My A8N-SLI was a dream to use, and 100% stable from the first touch of the power button.

My DFI has been a brilliant overclocker, and stable as well, but messing around in the BIOS on one will lead to trouble :eek:
 
DougLite said:
but messing around in the BIOS on one will lead to trouble :eek:

Depending on your knowledge level, and if you should have been in there in the first place...obviously if someone's kid gets into the BIOS and changes some random thing it could very easily be a pain to get back to ground zero...but I wouldn't say it's AS dangerous as it can sometimes sound.
 
piscian18 said:
ASUS ... becuase well.... ASUS

Care to elaborate. No offense, but these are the last forums where you want to tell someone to buy a certain mobo/cpu/video card "based" on brand. Not that there's a lot to say to shoot down Asus, but [H] has a decent enough reputation for brand favoritism when it comes to certain things...just letting you know what you COULD get yourself into with posts like that...I've seen it WAY too many times in the last couple years I've been here.
 
DFI FTW, its got lots of options if you know what your doing to make your system run at its best
 
MaMMa said:
DFI FTW, its got lots of options if you know what your doing to make your system run at its best

Yes it does, but it's the fact that things can sometimes require some tweaking and/or extra work to get the system perfectly stable while OC'd or sometimes even while running stock.
 
sadly I think your right "cold dark" has probably about had it with my sillyness.

I go with DFI on this if its not gonna be put under alot of stress. I think ASUS when it's gonna be stressed out longterm. if he's not OCing I think the cheaper board will be fine. Use the money to buy him a watch or something.
 
Asus because you're somebody's dad like I am. Being a family man, I really don't have the time or patience to tweak with settings to get things stable. However, being a guy, I like to know that IF I wanted to overclock, I could. DFI and ASUS are both great board makers, I had em both. In fact, I'm typing this on my "old" DFI NF2 Lanparty B. I've heard like you have that DFI are the gold standard for overclockers. However, I've also heard that they aren't really meant for plug in and go. So between your 2 choices, I say ASUS. Don't discount EPOX though (9NPA+ Ultra). MSI have been very quirky for me.

Sorry for the long winded response :)
 
It's been said like 3 times already in this thread.

Asus = stability w/ mild overclocking
DFI = stability also, but with a horrendous amount of tweaking abilities.

I'd reccomend the latter just because we are on the [H] forums.
 
Is it really that hard to set up a DFI board to run at stock settings? I'd imagine that is has a "set optimal defaults" option like all other BIOS's out there. If you are not overclocking then you don't have to worry about all the voltage options/memory timing options/etc... you can just leave them at default. Right? I don't understand what there is to tweak when you are running stock. Anyone care to explain?
 
agreed. when I got my ultra-D I didn't have to do anything. My only beef is the marvel LAN driver don't auto-install with the rest of the chipset drivers. I couldn't get the hardware wizard to auto-grab the drivers off the cd. I had to manuallly force the marvel drivers. In my experience every ASUS I've had that ran nforce chipset installed quick and easy. It kind of annoys me when manufactures don't streamline their drivers.
 
Megadeth_Guy01 said:
It's been said like 3 times already in this thread.

Asus = stability w/ mild overclocking
DFI = stability also, but with a horrendous amount of tweaking abilities.

I'd reccomend the latter just because we are on the [H] forums.
: :)
 
Back
Top