DFI has released it's LanParty UT nF3 Ultra D

bobyjo

Limp Gawd
I notices over at DFI Street that there is a lot of activity over this new mobo.
Now that it is actually released, it would seem this is the dream of OC'ability for all who have a hi end AGP video card and wish to keep it.

There are some of the guys there that are stating they think this board will go to 400 HTT. There are some that are way over 300 and saying the bios needs some work.

DFI is working on a new bios release that will fix some of the problems with this board.

This is a new product, just released and I only found some at MWave for sale.
I ordered one, because this is what I was wanting when I changed over from Intel.
I had been using Intel for about a year. I changed my mind about this first release. I got burned on ASUS with two nF2 mobo's, they refused to exchange to the new version.

Glad to be back to AMD the 64 cpu's are really great.

Many people who jumped on this board early have already shelved it until a new bios is released because it's too problematic as is. I'm going to sit on the fence for a while on this one.

Don't get comfortable on that fence! Oskar pumps out new bios very frequently :D !

just got my DFI nf3 ultra and 3200 venice along with my xp90 from the fedex man today :)

anyone know if this mobo will resolve the problem of san diegos not liking high ht speed? im running mine at 250x11=2750mhz with 166 divider for 208mhz ram on msi neo2 plat right now, waste of my lovely tccd. I can boot up with 275x10 and do a few super pi's, but it is FAR from stable.even 275x8 isnt good. I may just give dfi a try if it will get past this bottleneck of mine! thanks.

notice whats missing?? the 4v vdimm varrient, that what! they didnt wanna take the chacne again, cause they knew it had issues.

arnemetis said:
anyone know if this mobo will resolve the problem of san diegos not liking high ht speed? im running mine at 250x11=2750mhz with 166 divider for 208mhz ram on msi neo2 plat right now, waste of my lovely tccd. I can boot up with 275x10 and do a few super pi's, but it is FAR from stable.even 275x8 isnt good. I may just give dfi a try if it will get past this bottleneck of mine! thanks.

The issue doesn't have to do with the mobo. It has to do with your memory controller. Your memory controller in your San Diego doesn't like to run those high HTT/RAM frequencies.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
notice whats missing?? the 4v vdimm varrient, that what! they didnt wanna take the chacne again, cause they knew it had issues.

Or it could just be that their keeping that an exclusive option to the nForce 4 boards since none of the other nForce 3 boards have it.

*cries uncontrollably* so which do you suggest i try to sell, the ram or the 3700?depressing, cbbid winchester > rev e san diego :(

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:

Well, then why get this board over a Neo2 :rolleyes: .

burningrave101 said:
Or it could just be that their keeping that an exclusive option to the nForce 4 boards since none of the other nForce 3 boards have it.

This is ridiculous logic because no other NF4 boards have it either :p . There is obviously a problem, and I think DFI is getting sick of the RMA's.

why get it over a neo2? the great bios options, the fact that it will probably oc better then the neo2 ten fold, the fact that under UV cathodes that it will glow! what else do you need, and iirc the neo2 doesnt go to 3.2v for the vdimm. and the vcore on this board can go to like 1.8v+, not sure, but it will probably as high as the older dfi boards.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
why get it over a neo2? the great bios options, the fact that it will probably oc better then the neo2 ten fold, the fact that under UV cathodes that it will glow! what else do you need, and iirc the neo2 doesnt go to 3.2v for the vdimm. and the vcore on this board can go to like 1.8v+, not sure, but it will probably as high as the older dfi boards.

You do realize how much 10 fold is right :). If you can get a 300mhz OC out of your Neo2, then you can get a 3Ghz out of your DFI...haha :D. Realistically, the difference between 1.6V and 1.8V Vcore isn't going to get you much unless you have all kinds of WC/Phase cooling available. 3.2V is better, but it's still not enough to use the VX or Mushkin Redline. If you're not doing that, TCCD is still the best and it doesn't like more than 2.85V anyway.

My point is that I don't think it's worth getting this board if you already have a decent performing s939 AGP board. If you're going to go through the hassle of getting a new board, you might as well get the PCIe NF4.

well, im guessing this is a board for those who want to go from s754 or before where agp was the only option to 939, making this the best 939 agp board out there, and im sure within a month there will be a 4v vdimm bios and you ccan just adjust your pots and go. and i agree, unless your going from a via chipset agp 939 board.

I thought the 4V Dimm was a jumper on the board? It is on the Ultra-D :confused: .

the dfi s754 board could do up to 4v, you just needed to adjust your pots on the psu, and the bios just sets it at that voltage, say you set your pots to 3.6v, the 4.0v bios puts the vdimm at 3.6v, despite if you set it at 3.2 or 3.1 or 2.5 or whatever

Santos L. Halper said:
It's now available at Newegg .

However, until a new BIOS comes out, I'd wait on this board.

I already own the s754 version of this board, love it to death and I still love my AGP card, so this new board looks like my next choice... That said... Upon looking at the pictures on Newegg's site of this new board, I see that it only has 3 audio connections on the back of the MB, my current board has 6... It says 6 channel audio in the description, so how does it handle 6 channel audio, line in, mic in and line out with only 3 connectors??? What am I missing???

on my parents p4 3.0e, they only have the 3 connectors, and we have 5.1 surround with it. you jsut plug green to green, black to blue, and orange to red.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
on my parents p4 3.0e, they only have the 3 connectors, and we have 5.1 surround with it. you jsut plug green to green, black to blue, and orange to red.

Right, that gives you the output to the speakers, but what I am asking is where are the other 3, line-in, line-out, and mic???

mic is red, you plug the orange into the mic, line out is green, you plug the green into that, and line in is blue, you plug the black into that.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
mic is red, you plug the orange into the mic, line out is green, you plug the green into that, and line in is blue, you plug the black into that.

I know the colors, but I have 6 wires in question, 3 wires are for the speakers and 3 wires for line-in, line-out, and mic... If there are only 3 connectors on the motherboard, how can I plug 6 wires into 3 connectors???? That is the root of question, the pictures on Newegg's site only show 3 connectors, not 6 like I am used to...

ohhh, you have 6 wires to connect? ahh, then i think you might be done for. i really have no idea how your gonna do it then, i guess youll just hafta find a board with 6 inputs, or buy a cheapy 5.1 surround sound card.

get that chaintech 7.1 card thats really cheap :D or is it a 5.1?

i dont see what everyone thinks so much about these for... IMO an 800mhz overclock on a 3000+ winnie at 1.5v on a k8n makes it seem worthless -_- if i need mroe voltage for my memory, ill get a ddr booster TYVM...

This is motherboard I have been waiting for since I still want to use my 9800Pro.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
ohhh, you have 6 wires to connect? ahh, then i think you might be done for. i really have no idea how your gonna do it then, i guess youll just hafta find a board with 6 inputs, or buy a cheapy 5.1 surround sound card.

I still am not sure I am getting my question across correctly.... Is it not normal to have 6 wires to connect??? 3 for the speakers and the other 3 for line-in, line-out and mic???

I have a set of Logitech Z640 5.1 speakers.

There are 5 speakers but I have only 3 cables to attach to the sound card.
1=green, 1=black, 1=orange.

These three cables go to a control box where everything is divided up and out of that box goes the 5 cables going to the speakers.

The software for these speakers have a setup program where you may sellect the volume of each speaker and any other settings you wish.

I have never seen 6 wires to hook up a set of speakers.

Sound cards do not have 6 outlets in which to attach the cables.

The onboard outlet for speakers only have 3 outlets in most applications.
Then there is a mike, in socket for recording sound music etc.

If you just purchased these speakers, you are missing the control box or something.
My control box is in the bass boomer box.

bobyjo said:
I have a set of Logitech Z640 5.1 speakers.

There are 5 speakers but I have only 3 cables to attach to the sound card.
1=green, 1=black, 1=orange.

These three cables go to a control box where everything is divided up and out of that box goes the 5 cables going to the speakers.

The software for these speakers have a setup program where you may sellect the volume of each speaker and any other settings you wish.

I have never seen 6 wires to hook up a set of speakers.

Sound cards do not have 6 outlets in which to attach the cables.

The onboard outlet for speakers only have 3 outlets in most applications.
Then there is a mike, in socket for recording sound music etc.

If you just purchased these speakers, you are missing the control box or something.
My control box is in the bass boomer box.

Ok, one more time, I know that 5.1 speakers have 3 cables, I own them.... If you look at the picture on Newegg for the board we are talking about in this thread, there are 3 connectors in which to plug in 3 wires.... Let me change my question and say it this way.... If we are to assume that the 3 wires coming from my 5.1 speaker system go to these 3 connectors, where do I plug in my microphone (mic input), my tape player (line-in) and my other tape player (line-out)???? See 6 wires, 3 for the speakers and 3 for the line-in, line-out and mic.... If you look at my current board on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136147

note in the first picture, there are 6 "audio" type connectors, this new board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136161

only shows 3!!!! Help!!!

I see what you mean.
I don't know why one board shows 6 sound plug in's and the other only shows 3.
No matter what, either you will always plug in your input sound device into "LINE-IN".
I don't actually know what color that plug will be. That is where you plut in the input sound device. I would suggest getting a sound card like the "Audigy 2", it will have adequate plug-n's for you to use the 3 sound out lines and still have a sound in plug available.

With the onboard sound, you would have to activate the sound in plug in the control panel. If there is another sound out cable pluged into that plug. You would have to remove that cable and plug your sound in cable in this plug.

Otherwise you would not have complete sound out available to listen to while you are recording. With the SoundBlaster Audigy 2, you would be able to have all sound out pluged in, and the sound in pluged in also.
That way everything will work without unpluging and pluging back in cables.

OK after looking at the photo's again, I see why the difference.
The top photo is a socket 754 nF 3 250gb.
The bottom photo is a socket 939 nF3 Ultra

The bottom photo is the one you will have to use. You certainly do not want to go back to a socket 754 system.

doesnt anyone know what jack sensing is? it just changes what stuff goes to what jack on a soundcard... just listen to the guys here, they KNOW what they are talking about...

green - green

black - blue

orange - red

is it so hard? -_- your motherboard will sort it out for you... :\

There are three jacks. They are used in tandem for different functions. You cannot have mic in/line in/stereo jack out at the same time as having your 5.1 set. You can have one or the other. That's the way it works with the cheaper onboard sound. The chip just has an autosense chip, or you can configure it manually in the software drivers for the chip. Either way, you either have 5.1, or you have standard stereo and line/mic in. It just cuts costs on the manufacturing.

banGerprawN said:
There are three jacks. They are used in tandem for different functions. You cannot have mic in/line in/stereo jack out at the same time as having your 5.1 set. You can have one or the other. That's the way it works with the cheaper onboard sound. The chip just has an autosense chip, or you can configure it manually in the software drivers for the chip. Either way, you either have 5.1, or you have standard stereo and line/mic in. It just cuts costs on the manufacturing.

Thank you, that is the most clearly worded answer I have seen in a long time! I really did not expect that though, every board I have bought in the last 3 years with on board sound has had 6 connectors, did not know they were switching to auto-sense... So, I know you can buy a pci sound card, but does anyone make a pci board for just the line-in, line-out and mic???? I would hope that would be a cheap option rather than buying an expensive sound card.... Sorry, really did not know that mfg's were changing to 3 port auto-sensing instead of just providing the 6 ports...

on board sound 9 times outta 10 sucks donkey dick why use it?
Wouldnt it just be easier to pick up a decent PCI sound card and call it quits?
Im still useing a Herc Gametheater XP with Logitech Z560 (or whichever the damn 4.1 THX set was) with no problem...I dontever know if this thing will support a 5.1 setup LOL

stnelson9 said:
Thank you, that is the most clearly worded answer I have seen in a long time! I really did not expect that though, every board I have bought in the last 3 years with on board sound has had 6 connectors, did not know they were switching to auto-sense... So, I know you can buy a pci sound card, but does anyone make a pci board for just the line-in, line-out and mic???? I would hope that would be a cheap option rather than buying an expensive sound card.... Sorry, really did not know that mfg's were changing to 3 port auto-sensing instead of just providing the 6 ports...

I doubt they're "changing", it's just things that can be done to decrease the cost of the motherboard. I imagine that DFI has done it to make sure that this board remains squarely between the NF3 and NF4 chipsets they have out, in terms of consumer cost. They probably cut costs on this due to the period of time in RnD spent modifying the NF3 chipset to work with socket 939 and dual-channel memory. Or that's what I assume, but I'm often wrong, or just theorising. It comes from having a boring job and dreaming too much..... :p

Visable-assassin said:
on board sound 9 times outta 10 sucks donkey dick why use it?
Wouldnt it just be easier to pick up a decent PCI sound card and call it quits?
Im still useing a Herc Gametheater XP with Logitech Z560 (or whichever the damn 4.1 THX set was) with no problem...I dontever know if this thing will support a 5.1 setup LOL

As with everthing computers, and now I know were are aiming for soapbox stuff here, everyone has a different opinion of how things should work. For me, my ears can not distingush between what some people call good sound and some call bad. I just hear sound. For example, a $5.00 bottle of wine tastes just fine to me, others gag at the thought. So if I can save $50.00 and not have to buy an external sound card, great, I think it is the best thing in the world!!! Its all personal preference in this world, and when MB's started coming out with on board sound, to me, it was a great thing! Thanks for all the input on this, I did get my question answered!!!

so uhm as a guy who was lookin at this as a possible replacement for my neo2 (and this is not supn i can afford therefore its gotta be a rela smart move) there are some things that didnt pan out in this final board.

1. they werent able to get the SATA ports away from the middle of the board. i guess is ok since i already cut up my case to help but... i wish they could have.

2. no cool levitating chipseet fan.... cuz i hate loud chipsets!

3. this is more a note of the LACK of a feature: where are the sinks on the mosfets like on the other boards? i mean cmon guys that couldnt have cost tooo much at all!

4. high vdimm. my neo2 is limited to 2.85. yes i own a booster but no i cant relaly use it cuz my ram gets too hot with the slots... so the spaced out slots would be nice but it owuld alos be nice ot NOT have to use the booster. *that would mess up my cabling!

/end rant
so i dunno what to do. will it drop to $100? will it prove to have some miracle bios in the next coupla months? who knows, we shall see.

el rolio said:
4. high vdimm. my neo2 is limited to 2.85. yes i own a booster but no i cant relaly use it cuz my ram gets too hot with the slots... so the spaced out slots would be nice but it owuld alos be nice ot NOT have to use the booster. *that would mess up my cabling!
Yes, thoes extra volts are nice, but I think from my research that the DIMM dual channel slots are next to eachother if thats what you mean. so you wont get that buffer zone. That picture that has the interlaced DIMMs was a prototype.

In any event I just bought one and I will post what it really is on like....mmm...wednesday.

HighwayAssassins said:
Yes, thoes extra volts are nice, but I think from my research that the DIMM dual channel slots are next to eachother if thats what you mean. so you wont get that buffer zone. That picture that has the interlaced DIMMs was a prototype.

In any event I just bought one and I will post what it really is on like....mmm...wednesday.

yea please, that would be much appreciated. cuz like i said: on the neo2, the 2 ram sticks are TOUCHING each other, effectively preventing proper radiation of the heat once you start pumping over 3v in them b*tches. so once im able to do what i see done regularly: a stick in yellow a stick in orange (making a slot like #2 providing space inbetween) then that would be a better implementation.
thing is, i cant really find out how my sticks do up to the 3.2v this board will allow... to know if i can get to the 250fsb.... cuz at 3.2v o nthe neo2 and with booster, i got MAD problems. sigh

I snapped a quick pic of my new mobo to show you what the ram config is. The ram is running naked. With heatsinked ram there is maybe a mm of clearance, so basically there's not much airflow. Comming from the neo2, there is less clearance between the ramslots.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with mine so far. It may just be my new SD core that I'm liking so much more than my winchester. I'm sure a few bios updates down the road I'll love it as much as I loved my old infinity nf2.

dfinf3ultraramslots.jpg

are you serious? is that really the dual chan config? why would both these boards end up that way when no others are? *head hurting :(

thanks for the pic tho... i guess i'll keep my $126 for now? ugh

Back