Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

I am not an RPG guy - in fact I hate the genre - but I really, really liked Human Revolution. As much as having 164 hours on record according to Steam. I've bean weary to buy this one during last two sales because I expect them to release paid DLC. Is my gut feeling right? I am aware the game is more of the same and I'd be fine with that.

Last edited:
I saw gmdx 9.0 on moddbwas going to be released, so I thought I would try it for my next playthrough. Do you know how it compares to Revision? It was supposed to be released in December.
Revision is more of a graphics upgrade. Basically, it plays like the vanilla version with some added tweaks, modded level design, gameplay styles, new soundtrack, etc. GMDX is the better mod because it fixes most of the glaring issues with the game (it's come a long way since its inception). I haven't kept tabs on it for quite some time and had nearly forgotten about Revision. Try both.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
I am not an RPG guy - in fact I hate the genre - but I really, really liked this game. As much as having 164 hours on record according to Steam. I've bean weary to buy this one during last two sales because I expect them to release paid DLC. Is my gut feeling right? I am aware the game is more of the same and I'd be fine with that.
I don't get it. If you already have 164 hours on it then you should know that yes there are paid DLCs for it.

I don't get it. If you already have 164 hours on it then you should know that yes there are paid DLCs for it.

I meant Human Revolutions. Not sure what was I thinking back then lol

I am not an RPG guy - in fact I hate the genre - but I really, really liked Human Revolution. As much as having 164 hours on record according to Steam. I've bean weary to buy this one during last two sales because I expect them to release paid DLC. Is my gut feeling right? I am aware the game is more of the same and I'd be fine with that.

If you liked HR you will probably like this one but there are some differences. The biggest complaint for many outside of the inconsequential microtransactions is that if you're the type that sticks to main missions only and doesn't stop to smell the roses you'll likely find the game to be very short, this is compounded by the way that they cut the story in half(seemingly partway through development) which can make for a jarring and unexpected ending.

I haven't played the latest DLC but the first two were good and added to the story but they were also fairly short, you could tell why they had been cut, and the one was adapted to push the (IMO) stupid breach mode. They were worth playing but I wouldn't consider them must play, there is a deluxe edition that I picked up last fall for $20 that includes all dlc(including pre-order bonuses) so if you're concerned about missing dlc just look for a deal on the deluxe edition. My understanding is that they're done with dlc but it's worth noting that there's some speculation that the sequel which would finish the story has been put on indefinite hiatus.

I considered "A Criminal Past" to be the best of the three DLCs. The other two, "System Rift" (much bigger/longer but introduces Breach) and "Desperate Measures" (way shorter and smaller) were a bit blah.

Patch notes for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided v1.17

Community Announcements - Poticha

a5fc4b61d82d1a5cc5715fb44fa46b970b8e0c21.png

We have just released another PC patch for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, v1.17 build 795.0_P17, which focuses on issues raised by the community.

This patch will be applied by Steam automatically when you next start the game. If your game does not update, please restart the Steam client.

The following game changes are in this patch:
  • Fixed a crash when switching from controller to mouse & keyboard during a loading screen or pause menu.
  • Fixed an issue when selecting a floor with the mouse on the elevator's panel in Dubai.
  • Fixed an issue where the "Auto Complete" laptop feature was missing.
  • Fixed an issue where swapping ammo types was not functional when holding [R] button was pressed to quickly, if the control scheme was not set to Mankind Divided.
  • Fixed an issue where the loading screen art is affected by texture quality.
  • Added an option to quit to desktop from the pause menu.
  • Fixed an issue with the zoom acceleration of the mouse when pressing + and – on the map.
  • Fixed an issue where conversations causes certain graphic effects to change when switching control input.
If you wish to delay this update to a later time for your convenience, you will be able to stay on the previous patch by switching to build v1.16_build761.0 through the beta tab within the game properties window.

We will keep monitoring for feedback and will release further patches if required. We always welcome your feedback!

Share:

I saw it mentioned over on the Steam forums that denuvo might have been removed from the game, either that or there's a glitch with the store page because it's no longer mentioned there. There hasn't been any recent updates and denuvo is still mentioned in the EULA but I could see how they might want to remove it quietly and forget to update the EULA.

I've heard 8X MSAA in this game beats down top video cards. But doesn't the single card 2080 Ti and Titan RTX make it practically playable in most areas with everything maxed and at 8X MSAA? Meaning the in game menu option for 8X MSAA, and all forms of AA turned off or set to application in Nvidia control panel.

For reference I'm talking about for moving around at a casual pace for exploration and not so much for the fighting gameplay. The action parts are probably more important to most players so they would demand a good fps for those demanding activity parts.

And also I can settle for much less fps but not below 25 fps in order to get really good IQ. And I've seen how great 8X MSAA & the rest maxed looks in this game compared to 4X MSAA (all imho) but too bad it was quite choppy, a bit like a slideshow.

Edit: Meant to add this in 4k

Last edited:
I've heard 8X MSAA in this game beats down top video cards. But doesn't the single card 2080 Ti and Titan RTX make it practically playable in most areas with everything maxed and at 8X MSAA? Meaning the in game menu option for 8X MSAA, and all forms of AA turned off or set to application in Nvidia control panel.

For reference I'm talking about for moving around at a casual pace for exploration and not so much for the fighting gameplay. The action parts are probably more important to most players so they would demand a good fps for those demanding activity parts.

And also I can settle for much less fps but not below 25 fps in order to get really good IQ. And I've seen how great 8X MSAA & the rest maxed looks in this game compared to 4X MSAA (all imho) but too bad it was quite choppy, a bit like a slideshow.
Um 8x MSAA will make nearly any halfway modern game chug even on a high end card. It is a stupid as hell AA option because by the time anyone can use it at their respective native resolution, the game itself will be outdated looking anyway. By that I mean people that have top end cards already have 1440p and 4k monitors and want 60 fps+ and it will be many more years before 60 fps will happen in this game on max with 8x MSAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Might as well wait for Cyberpunk 2077 instead which I suspect will be far better than any DX sequel since it'll be more open. Don't get me wrong, I love the DX series by DX: MD being mainly in a Polish city was a bad design choice.

Might as well wait for Cyberpunk 2077 instead which I suspect will be far better than any DX sequel since it'll be more open. Don't get me wrong, I love the DX series by DX: MD being mainly in a Polish city was a bad design choice.

Since when did Prague move to Poland?

I hope for the best of Cyberpunk, but the DE formula is better. A more centralized story is superior to something that is loosely strung together.

Since when did Prague move to Poland?

I hope for the best of Cyberpunk, but the DE formula is better. A more centralized story is superior to something that is loosely strung together.
I couldn't agree more. I much prefer the fps/rpg hybrid that DX has created. It's Fps with a bit of rpg rather than rpg with a bit of fps. I don't want any RNG on my bullets outside of spread characteristics.

Same reason I prefer S.T.A.L.K.E.R to Fallout

Yeah I'm trying to tackle this game finally my last attempt was in 2016 I switched my X-box control over to Human Revolution defaults so it was easier to remember. This game is such a jump graphically compared to the 1st game sure it looks nice but it can be confusing at times. I mean I needed to goto closet to get a passcode then enter the passcode in a terminal to extend a platform where their was a elevator that was locked out so I had to go though the roof to make the elevator work. A step up as far as environmental obstacles from the 1st game. The cover system takes a while to get used to but once you get into the grove it's a step up from the 1st game. I could never see myself using a mouse and keyboard for the game I think I did at launch.

20190829114638_1.jpg
20190829115544_1.jpg

You're welcome to your opinion of course, but at least wait for CP2077 to come out and judge it by its merits before your make a comparison on which you think is better.
I'm not saying it will be better or worse, simply that we can't quantifiably know.

I couldn't agree more. I much prefer the fps/rpg hybrid that DX has created. It's Fps with a bit of rpg rather than rpg with a bit of fps. I don't want any RNG on my bullets outside of spread characteristics.

Same reason I prefer S.T.A.L.K.E.R to Fallout

Fair enough. But I don't consider anything after Fallout 2 to be a true Fallout game. Fallout to me will always be strategy RPG. Or even more accurately: RPG with Strategy combat. Bethesda titles (to flip your statements, as my viewpoint is a bit different) are FPS' with some RPG elements thrown in there and a complete removal of the strategy element. I personally wouldn't compare then Fallout with DX, other than the futurist setting. But even there that's very different. One being post apocalyptic and the other being future dystopic. I suppose there are some overlap in systems, namely choosing of combat abilities (perks and stats vs skill trees). But to me they are just really different games.

I'll also admit I never got far into Stalker. Too punishing and really hard to get in the game. I guess I don't like true survival games (notably with zero direction) all that much.

This game still run poorly? last time I played it, it ran about as poorly as Control does on my 2080 system, except control looks a million times better and that's with all ray tracing effects turned on

This game still run poorly? last time I played it, it ran about as poorly as Control does on my 2080 system, except control looks a million times better and that's with all ray tracing effects turned on
It still does on my 1080ti at 3440x1440 utra wide monitor.

I had no glitches I think I ran in on my 980ti GTX the first time around it might of glitched out back then it looks flawless on my 24" 1440P Gsync Dell using a 2080 RTX.

Last edited:
Looked and ran great on my GTX 1060 and RTX 2060 at 1080p. Also, found stealth was a more fun and rewarding gameplay style than combat.

Ran fine with my GTX 1070 @ 1440p on release. I may have turned down some settings or used GeForce Experience settings for better performance. Both CPU and GPU were overclocked.

This is most likely a good thing. There're be enough time to find a worthy group of people to take on a new deus ex game. Should be able to launch around early to mid ps6/xbox next cycle. And put the GeForce 8000/9000 series to work.

At this point they'll probably just phone in some DX remasters that add RT and slightly better textures for $40. Or a handful of the "original development team" will pop up under a new name with some janky spiritual successor that tarnishes everything and everyone involved.

I wanted to see how Mankind Divided ended. The game was more or less split into two parts. According to the article the sequel was very early in development, so maybe not too much was lost. But if they cancelled what they had, any sequel will probably be a long ways off. And probably will not even be a sequel but a reboot.

I would like to see a modern remake of the original game (which I never played) but still want to see an ending to the arc that started with Human Revolution.

I should replay Human Revolution

Pretty sure I punched almost every NPC in that game that wasn't a civilian. I knocked the entire police department unconscious and dragged them into vents like some kind of augmented Pennywise.

Yet I only killed one person in my playthrough besides the bosses, and that was because I hacked into every apartment in a complex and tried to steal their refrigerators and cram them into the elevator. Unfortunately this lead to a terrible catastrophe where someone wound up getting crushed.

I should replay Human Revolution

Pretty sure I punched almost every NPC in that game that wasn't a civilian. I knocked the entire police department unconscious and dragged them into vents like some kind of augmented Pennywise.

Yet I only killed one person in my playthrough besides the bosses, and that was because I hacked into every apartment in a complex and tried to steal their refrigerators and cram them into the elevator. Unfortunately this lead to a terrible catastrophe where someone wound up getting crushed.

I liked how the world was small, but had some good gameplay options. I carried a turret around the Singapore map after I hacked it. Let it mow down everyone.

I liked how the world was small, but had some good gameplay options. I carried a turret around the Singapore map after I hacked it. Let it mow down everyone.
That's actually my biggest criticism of Human Revolution. Most maps were designed as a playground for the player, and not in a way that would make any logical sense. Like a vent leading from one side of a forcefield to the other and nowhere else. Or the "secret" route into a building providing much more direct access than the main entrance.

If the options are clearly put there only for the player's benefit and not for any in-universe reason that is bad game design.
Options should not be presented by the game on a silver platter i.e go left for the stealth route, go right for the guns blazing approach and go straight for a skill check bypass. It should require some effort from the player to find viable solutions to problems, and there should be dead ends that do not offer a solution and only exist for in-universe reasons.

Mankind Divided improved on this a lot, but even in that the diverging routes are sometimes too on the nose.

I wanted to see how Mankind Divided ended. The game was more or less split into two parts. According to the article the sequel was very early in development, so maybe not too much was lost. But if they cancelled what they had, any sequel will probably be a long ways off. And probably will not even be a sequel but a reboot.

I would like to see a modern remake of the original game (which I never played) but still want to see an ending to the arc that started with Human Revolution.
A Nightdive-style remaster of the first game would be enough, for me. It just needs modern 3D API support and improved controls.

Terrible news.

Cyberpunk is the closest thing to a "new Deus Ex game" any of us are going to have for the forseeable future.
And I'm surprisingly fine with that. Cyberpunk is a damn good game, far better than Human Revolution or Mankind Divided were. I doubt that under Embracer's scrutiny a DeusEx game would have turned out stellar. And dragging the name through the mud with a trend chasing abomination of a game is worse than cancelling it. I'm also worried what will happen with Tomb Raider.

A Nightdive-style remaster of the first game would be enough, for me. It just needs modern 3D API support and improved controls.
We already have Revision for that. Deus Ex needs to be brought into the modern era with a full remake with modern mechanics and level design, or be left alone.

Wow talk about cancel culture they canceled the best series out there. I wonder if it was a productivity issue not finding the talent to make the game in a realistic time frame.
It's what happens when a game publisher sells its studios to an investment firm.

Workers are pesky and want to be paid.

Rights to IP don't.

Back