Deus Ex: Human Revolution Performance Preview @ [H]

Status
Not open for further replies.
even though FXAA is branded as nvidia's version of MLAA, its really a third party application. which is why it works for both AMD and Nvidia. Nvidia's just branded it as their own software.

You can even get the latest version of FXAA from Timothy Lottes blog.

Or, latest version of the most popular implementation I should probably say.

Could you give us some high-res screenshots of FXAA/MLAA with text and/or finer details in textures?

Kyle,

One thing to check out for your full review would be the effect on texture quality the various AA modes have. Get some good shots of detailed textures, and see what the various modes do to them. In the video card forums there was a good MLAA test a guy did which showed that in some cases, it messes with textures a bit, for the worse.

Be interesting to see how the various options do textures in DX, as well as how they do edges. After all, maybe one mode makes edges better and textures worse and thus isn't quite as desirable.

We will look closely at textures between AA modes, and show some screenshots, to see if any of the AA modes reduce texture clarity.

I'm still not bought on Shader based AA. Removing image information is completely against what improving the image quality is about. Hopefully forcing traditional AA will work in this (and many other) titles to the foreseeable future.

Elaborate on how shader AA removes image information.

In my rig on the sig it plays well. I'm only using one monitor at the moment. Will need to try it with 3 soon. So far the game is good but loading times stink even with my vertex 2.

Hard OCP: Can you test with using TRSSAA? It would be cool to see if transparency aa works and what benefit it gives to image quality.

We will try all AA modes.

You can even get the latest version of FXAA from Timothy Lottes blog.

Or, latest version of the most popular implementation I should probably say.

There's another MLAA implementation here that was open sourced as well. They are also developing another, successor to MLAA which looks like it aims to fix its shortcomings. Check out their SMAA paper for pretty pictures and performance timings.

http://www.iryoku.com/

Interesting stuff. Unfortunately my 460 768mb is hardly capable of 0x aa at 1900*1200 Max details.

I have a Radeon 5870 and am getting texture artifacting on all the characters with DX 11 enabled.
When I disabled DX 11 the artifacting went away.
Anyone else running a 5870 having the same problems with DX 11?
I also updated my drivers to the latest edition, to no avail.

The same issue has been reported for the NVIDIA version as well with the 275 and 280 series drivers: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119667

So it isn't just an NVIDIA issue then? That's good news I suppose as it looks like it may need to be fixed via a game patch rather than a driver update.

The fix is to actually turn off Tessellation in the game options from what I've read. DX11 works fine.

I wonder if anyone getting the texture artifacts with the tessellation enabled on radeon hardware has tried to play around with the tessellation settings in CCC. The default setting is AMD Optimized, I would suggest trying Default and to try playing around with the slider to find a setting that may fix the issue.

If this has been tried I'd sure like to know about it. I have a hunch it's fixable by putting it on the game default.

I was seeing white dots on NPC faces last night on my GTX460. I'm guessing its the same issue.

I'm currently running DEHR on a 580 + 2600K @ 1920x1200, for the most part FPS and gameplay are all extremely smooth, however there are instances when entering hallways frames will lag noticeably for a couple seconds. For instance when you get off the elevator from David Sarif's office in the intro mission. Is anyone else experiencing this, if so, it might be something that could be looked into for the review.

I'm currently running DEHR on a 580 + 2600K @ 1920x1200, for the most part FPS and gameplay are all extremely smooth, however there are instances when entering hallways frames will lag noticeably for a couple seconds. For instance when you get off the elevator from David Sarif's office in the intro mission. Is anyone else experiencing this, if so, it might be something that could be looked into for the review.
I would say I am experiencing that too, but I chalked it up to my 768MB of video RAM

Holy shit this game looks bad. The lack of detail and boxyness of the level design is stunning.
And the atrocious lighting, just look at that last interior screenshot.

Shhh. Don't say that. The game is supposed to look great by the mere fact it supports the latest cutting edge DX11 features. Just look at witcher 2 in comparison. I once thought it was great but now that I realize it was DX9 only, I think that alone makes it inferior to Deus EX. It makes no sense to use an ancient outdated API even though most humans cannot differentiate between them in actual gameplay. I mean its true we don't really care how a game look and perform anymore as long as it supports the latest Direct X marketing Hype.

Maybe it is just because I am getting old, but the game looks "XBOXy" to me (maybe "squarish" is a better word). Framerates and playability are not a problem but the graphic quality is nowhere near Metro, Crysis 2 (Hi Res + DX11 installed) or even Fallout NV. The long wait between loads is kind of a pain but will not stop me from playing it. No crashes yet. Saw a little bit of artifacting and flickering in the early scenes but just did a save game, quit and came back in and the problem has not returned. Not doing anything fancy on the setup, just maxed the in game with MLAA on and maxed out the CCC settings on 2x6970s with a 2600K (on a 1920 x 1080). Overall so far- not a bad game, maybe mid to high 80's score if I had to rank it. Maybe on the same level as Homefront, Singularity.

I would say I am experiencing that too, but I chalked it up to my 768MB of video RAM

To me, it sort of feels like momentary lag from loading a new part of the level. The game is otherwise pretty easy on the video card even with full eye candy (brief lag aside, a 2500K and a 6850 pushes a constant 60FPS at 1680x1050 with everything maxed).

Shhh. Don't say that. The game is supposed to look great by the mere fact it supports the latest cutting edge DX11 features. Just look at witcher 2 in comparison. I once thought it was great but now that I realize it was DX9 only, I think that alone makes it inferior to Deus EX. It makes no sense to use an ancient outdated API even though most humans cannot differentiate between them in actual gameplay. I mean its true we don't really care how a game look and perform anymore as long as it supports the latest Direct X marketing Hype.

Chalk it up to the unreal engine. It's great from a developers standpoint since it's fairly easy to use and lets you pull a lot of resources out of engine development, but it definitely has some obstacles when it comes to tweaking the environment. At some points I was kind of getting the feeling that I was playing a re-skinned version of Mass Effect.

Visually, I like the character design and skinning/animation work they did. I agree the environments and lighting could have been better. It wasn't horrible, but the "cities" felt a bit claustrophobic at times and surfaces felt a bit flat and lacked a rugged/gritty feel.

I want to say it's the long load times that are making my experience less enjoyable but that's not true.

It's real life.

Every time I want to play or keep playing, real life has to crop up a ruin it. I wonder if there will be a patch to fix that...

Chalk it up to the unreal engine. It's great from a developers standpoint since it's fairly easy to use and lets you pull a lot of resources out of engine development, but it definitely has some obstacles when it comes to tweaking the environment. At some points I was kind of getting the feeling that I was playing a re-skinned version of Mass Effect.

Visually, I like the character design and skinning/animation work they did. I agree the environments and lighting could have been better. It wasn't horrible, but the "cities" felt a bit claustrophobic at times and surfaces felt a bit flat and lacked a rugged/gritty feel.

Chalk what up to Unreal? Deus Ex HR doesn't use UE3.

I wouldn't be surprised if using UE3 would've actually been better for DXHR. As a side, I don't get why UE3 catches so much flak, its theoretical capabilities are very good and among the best today, but that is a separate debate.

DXHR uses an engine originally developed for Tomb Raider, a 3rd person platformer, not a FPS/RPG. They likely do not have the same level of ability/experience as a company known for developing engines either. Oddly the new Tomb Raider uses UE3 lol...

I wouldn't be surprised if using UE3 would've actually been better for DXHR. As a side, I don't get why UE3 catches so much flak, its theoretical capabilities are very good and among the best today, but that is a separate debate.

DXHR uses an engine originally developed for Tomb Raider, a 3rd person platformer, not a FPS/RPG. They likely do not have the same level of ability/experience as a company known for developing engines either. Oddly the new Tomb Raider uses UE3 lol...

UE3 catches flak due to most games that use it exhibiting the same flaws. Horrid textures, really bad texture pop-in, and so on. Very few games have managed to get away from that.

Crystal Dynamics has made a few engines in the past, but they don't make big 3rd party engines like Epic does. Still you're right it was developed for Tomb Raider Legend and outside of a total overhaul there was no chance for Eidos Montreal or Nixxes to make the game look like Crysis or Metro or any of the other big looker titles. UE3 may have been better, but it's hard to say. Nixxes has tons of experience with the Crystal Dynamics engine so it makes sense to use their knowledge to update the engine a little for the game.

UE3 catches flak due to most games that use it exhibiting the same flaws. Horrid textures, really bad texture pop-in, and so on. Very few games have managed to get away from that.

Crystal Dynamics has made a few engines in the past, but they don't make big 3rd party engines like Epic does. Still you're right it was developed for Tomb Raider Legend and outside of a total overhaul there was no chance for Eidos Montreal or Nixxes to make the game look like Crysis or Metro or any of the other big looker titles. UE3 may have been better, but it's hard to say. Nixxes has tons of experience with the Crystal Dynamics engine so it makes sense to use their knowledge to update the engine a little for the game.

I agree. Arkham Asylum used UE3 to great effect, but for every Arkham Asylum you have 5 games like Bioshock or Singularity that just look, quite frankly, like shit.

I can see that point of view. Although at the same time if you look at it from a results perspective, UE3 has been used in the widest variety of games and styles of any engine as well. It really depends on the developers choice, but I wouldn't say it is an issue inherently due to the engine.

You're right, whether it is better or not is just pure speculation on my part.

As for the other thing you slightly mention, I'd actually prefer companies spend more time on design and aesthetics, than just pumping out the most technical and highest fidelity graphics. This is what I think DXHR does a good job of. My preference is it has to be something interesting to look at first, then how good it looks vs. the other way around.

modred: +1

I understand preference. I have some. This game is great. That's one.

A lot of hard-nosed people are fixating on the graphics. I suppose it would better justify spending thousands of dollars more than I did to play the same game, if there was a clear difference in experience. But it seems that a good game can cut past that.

At least I think so.

I'm finding the load times absolutely horrendous.

Isn't there some kind of fix or workaround for this? @_@

I'm finding the load times absolutely horrendous.

Isn't there some kind of fix or workaround for this? @_@

I heard turning off vsync should help but then you get horrendous screen tearing.

No tearing with vsync off for me, but my load times are still annoyingly insane.

Yeah my screen tears so bad without vsync and loading times take so long for me and even after it loads, it stutters.

I actually don't think the environments look all that bad. Overdone with the bloom lighting and saturation effects? Sure. But overall the environments look decent.

What DOESN'T look good in my opinion are the character models. They look sub par for a 2011 title, and its depressing because so much of the game revolves around talking and interacting with different NPC's. Half Life 2 has far better models - a game from 2004! The animation is probably the most disturbing, as all the characters look like they have huntington's disease as they stand there are talk to you.

The fix is to actually turn off Tessellation in the game options from what I've read. DX11 works fine.

I wonder if anyone getting the texture artifacts with the tessellation enabled on radeon hardware has tried to play around with the tessellation settings in CCC. The default setting is AMD Optimized, I would suggest trying Default and to try playing around with the slider to find a setting that may fix the issue.

If this has been tried I'd sure like to know about it. I have a hunch it's fixable by putting it on the game default.

Using the Catalyst Control Center's Default option with the slider all the way up fixed my artifacting problems.

As for the graphic's, Deus Ex may not be the best looking game around, but I think the overall artistic design of the game makes up for that, aswell as the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back