Destroying the backlog!

tuaarita

2[H]4U
With all this free time in my hands, I have decided to take on my backbreaking Steam-backlog with all the games I've been putting off. In addition I won't buy any games until I've made some progress on these.
The Steam profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/tuaarita

Here is the list (sorry it's in google docs, easiest way for me.)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JOkN9KIdEBZy8K3q-FG3ntY94k9JpbchvcsrNs0gzLw/edit?hl=en

I will be working my way through this damned thing alphabetically, starting right now with Alien Breed 2: Assault.

Well, I hope somebody finds this inspirational and takes action on their own backlogs. It really doesn't seem as bad once you make a list like that.

Good luck.

Last edited:
lol @ the fact that you made a list for this. :p

Was thinking the same thing.

If I'd beaten a game it's uninstalled on my steam list and it's greyed out.

The current games I'm working on are

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (In chinatown)
Might and Magic: Dark Messiah

Those are the ones I'm really making an effort on. I play BF3, CSS, and TF2 for my Clan, and Killing Floor with my family so I don't have much time for these.

I was working my way through FEAR Extraction Point but I'm about to write it off as a lost. I'm just not enjoying at all and the graphics are pretty bland.

KOTOR on the "don't give a shit" list? Madness!

12142010probasco1.png

lol @ the fact that you made a list for this. :p

Theres actually a whole website dedicated to keeping track of your backlog called backloggery. But it's kind of a pain with many games to add them there. :p

And I'm sorry, I just don't like Star Wars. Only bought that game because it was so cheap and I was in a Bioware-phaze.

I will forgive you since you don't appear to have any non-action RPGs on your list at all - which indicates you just don't like the KOTOR's genre (click-and-autoattack RPGs).

Your backlog might get bigger with the steam black friday/thanksgiving sale starting in a few days :D

I've been attacking mine also. Currently trying to finish Crysis, but the game is very boring.

KOTOR on the "don't give a shit" list? Madness!

I dunno...I tried to play through that game at least twice and it just didn't really motivate me to do so. Never did finish it.

My backlog is massive as well, but I buy most games at $5 or less so even if I don't play them it's no big loss. Supporting PC game development, right?

On that note...Borderlands is a game you should give a shit about, at least to finish the main game. I got bored with the DLC. Not that it's bad, but just more of the same.

GTA games were good, too.

Don't bother with Op Flash: DR, it's a piece of shit. The only redeeming feature was co-op and even that was pretty fail.

I noticed Psychonauts is on your "Don't give a shit" list...That was actually a really fun and unique platformer. Give it a try if you have the time.

Last edited:
Crysis is also on my backlog. I got to the part where I rescue some one's dad/daughter? Great graphics, but kind of a slow game.
I stopped after sinking the Navy ship and having to fight off multiple helicopters. I didn't know I was supposed to search the buildings for missile launchers, so the helicopters flew away and never came back. I don't really feel like playing the game anymore.

On that note...Borderlands is a game you should give a shit about, at least to finish the main game. I got bored with the DLC. Not that it's bad, but just more of the same.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I think the game is incredibly boring.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I think the game is incredibly boring.
You didn't. The first hour or two felt like a slog to me too. By the end I racked up 64 hours in the game. YMMV of course.

Actually funny enough the same thing happened with KOTOR for me. The first hour or two I was ready to quit a few times and not return. I stuck with it and it became my personal GOTY. ;)

I actually put like 5-10 hours into KOTOR and still didn't care for it. Maybe that's not enough but I wasn't willing to do more.

I've put 18 hours in Borderlands on some berserker character in co-op but if I can't find a save for it, I won't be starting over.

Also played Psychonauts for 4 hours about a year and a half ago and it just didn't grab me. Even less so now because I would have to start over.

WHOA I don't feel as bad about my games now. Thanks!

Speaking of which I am on the last chapter of Alien Breed 2: Assault. I could have skipped this game since I got it for free in the Summer sale but it's not as bad as I thought. After this I'm going to play Deus Ex HR and try to beat it while I download Alien Vs Predator.

Play Call of Pripyat... I am having lots of fun with that one. A really good SP experience.

About Borderlands.... IMO it sucks as a SP game, but the co-op is supposed to be a blast.

The bit of Borderlands I played as single player sucked - just not fun to me. It helps that I have a built in duo setup since my wife loves the game as well. It really comes together when you have multiple players running around together.

EDIT: We need a Steam Backlog [H] support group. :D

OP is doomed to fail, like a 450 lb. fatso announcing he's going on a diet, yet his fridge is full of beer, football is on in five and the pizza delivery guy is en route. We know it. He knows it. Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Steam Christmas sales know it.

Oh you just watch, my steam games will still count at 182 a week from now. :p Heck, a month from now.

Saint's Row The Third will have been the last game I bought this year, and I already completed it.

Last edited:
Play Call of Pripyat... I am having lots of fun with that one. A really good SP experience.

About Borderlands.... IMO it sucks as a SP game, but the co-op is supposed to be a blast.

man I got 5 minutes into Clear Skys and rage quit. I need to start again.

My backlog is hopeless barring some natural disaster that renders me stuck at home for months at a time.

My backlog is hopeless barring some natural disaster that renders me stuck at home for months at a time.

Consider yourself lucky. Barring the destruction of all video game companies and the internet, I don't think I'll ever finish my backlog.

There just are too many good games that exist, that it's impossible to ever catch up. Sadly though, I think I only finish 4-5 games a year at most. (I think I'd have to give up multiplayer games to even remotely have a chance at even 10% of my backlog before I die).

Ah the old steam backlog, I don't think I have any gamer friends who don't relate with that.

I recently went back and played through Still Life 1 and 2 which were one of those steam deal moments which seemed like a good idea at the time for such a cheap price but got left, however despite the obviously bad graphics I found them really enjoyable once they got going. I'm starting to slowly become less afraid of the backlog it's not something that needs to be rushed through but something to be enjoyed at a pace you're happy with, feeling obligated to play through the games will lead to forcing yourself to play them which could end in a negative opinion of an otherwise good game.

Right now I've gone Skyrim mad and sunk all my time in to that!

I've noticed that I have gotten considerably less competent at gaming over time. I just seem to suck at most games. A lot of dying and reloading in FPSs, RPG I'll get lost for hours on end and have to consult a guide, I won't even go into sports/racing/fighting games. I used to be good enough to finish a game in a weekend, now I just suck :(

I've noticed that I have gotten considerably less competent at gaming over time. I just seem to suck at most games. A lot of dying and reloading in FPSs, RPG I'll get lost for hours on end and have to consult a guide, I won't even go into sports/racing/fighting games. I used to be good enough to finish a game in a weekend, now I just suck :(

I think the part about being able to finish a game during a weekend has to do with getting older and having more responsiblities, and not so much a deterioration of skills.

I remember an incident when I was in high school/early college from a family member talking about how Final Fantasy 7 was just a waste of time, as they didn't have any time to play them, and not being able to understand it at the time. Sadly, I can today. Even if I somehow get a session of a few hours to play a game, it's all interrupted with other responsibilities throughout that session.

No worries - I'm so bad you take the word "suck" and then dig about 500 levels lower then cover that with a ton of crap and then dig way deeper and you'll begin to approach how pathetic I've become.

This list has a lot of games which are probably too dated to really enjoy. This may or may not bother you, but I find it hard to go back to some of those games and I remember them when they were new. Additionally, there is no Mass Effect 1 or 2 on that list.

This is a monumentous oversight which you should correct immediately. Just don't play it until you get the back log down. Because you may not be able to stop.

This list has a lot of games which are probably too dated to really enjoy. This may or may not bother you, but I find it hard to go back to some of those games and I remember them when they were new. Additionally, there is no Mass Effect 1 or 2 on that list.

This is a monumentous oversight which you should correct immediately. Just don't play it until you get the back log down. Because you may not be able to stop.

It's a personal taste thing. Bloodlines is interesting enough to keep me playing it despite it looking extremely dated however FEAR extraction which looks better just isn't very interesting. Same thing with Deus Ex: invisible war. The story is just too generic and boring to keep me playing despite the poor graphics.

Ha way ahead of you, completed 1 in 2009 and 2 last year.

Granted I'm not too excited about a few old titles, mainly because they don't support higher resolutions and playing them in a window is distracting.. Oddworld and The Longest Journey comes to mind. Other than that I'm pretty forgiving about graphics.

Anyway I'm downloading Alien vs Predator now and playing Deus Ex HR

Just blew up an office in Hengsha and got shipped to Singapore

How far in am I approximately? Half? 3/4?

Ha way ahead of you, completed 1 in 2009 and 2 last year.

Granted I'm not too excited about a few old titles, mainly because they don't support higher resolutions and playing them in a window is distracting.. Oddworld and The Longest Journey comes to mind. Other than that I'm pretty forgiving about graphics.

Anyway I'm downloading Alien vs Predator now and playing Deus Ex HR

Just blew up an office in Hengsha and got shipped to Singapore

How far in am I approximately? Half? 3/4?

I can be forgiving about graphics, but the game has to have something else going for it. Mass Effect 1 was really dated by the time I got ahold of it. However, the story and game play kept me going. It wasn't all bad either, character models and especially facial animations were really excellent considering the relatively low poly count and age of the game. Some of the environments were much better than others. Some were just bad while others were actually surprisingly good.

As for Deus Ex, I've got no idea, I haven't played that one. I didn't care for the first two games. I've had almost zero interest in the third game.

Turns out Deus Ex HR is pretty close to the finale. I just entered the last location.

That's one less game to worry about then :)

I try not to buy a bunch of games at once so I don't end up with a backlog. I never have more than 1 or 2 at a time. I play them until I'm done with them in terms of being finished with them and stop playing them or until I decide the game sucks and I'm done with it. Either way I move on only when finished.

I've not purchased Modern Warfare 3, BF3, Arkham City, or Skyrim. I'm not sure if I'll ever jump on that one. We'll see. Right now I'm playing Mass Effect 2. (I was introduced to the series only recently.) When I'm done I'll probably buy Arkham City then move onto BF3 if I feel like it. Really I like the Battlefield games but not as well as I've liked the Modern Warfare games. (Speaking of multiplayer only.) They tend to lack the staying power I'd like. I've got hundreds of hours into CoD4MW, and only about 50 hours or so into BFBC2, CoDMW2, and CoDBLOPS. Part of what ruins those games for me is probably some of the retards online who irritate me.

I've been attacking mine also. Currently trying to finish Crysis, but the game is very boring.

I finally finished that this weekend. It had been so long since I played, I recently started over. Come to find out I was like 90% there! I passed where I had quit and finished the game in the same sitting. Backlog attack failed. :( Beat one game this weekend, bought 2! MoH and Mass Effect 2.

Last edited:
KOTOR can be a bit boring up until you get a lightsaber. Lightsabers make everything more fun.

Also, 673 games is one of the more impressive steam libraries I've ever seen.

Back