Destiny Review Round-Up

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you wondered why Bungie made everyone wait to publish reviews, this explains a lot. The constant error messages that bump you from the game (regardless of platform) and other technical issues aside, the game just isn't fun. :(

I spent my time in Destiny waiting for something to happen. In the first mission of Destiny, its functional tutorial, you find a weapon, and you shoot the alien life around you in the ruins of Russia. It turns out, that's just about all you're ever going to do. Sometimes you walk up to points in the game world and hold "X/Square" and wait for something to happen, shooting more enemies all the while. And that "wait for something to happen" is, without fail, Ghost shining a light on something for a while, occasionally interjecting some truly dismal dialogue.

Sigh so much wrong in this article, almost not even worth retorting.

Destiny routinely demands 15 to 25 minutes of constant shooting at a boss to kill them.

Lets start with this..No there isn't, that is called "You are shit at the game". Try actually hitting your target in the extremely obvious weak points.

Quite a bit more that made it painfully obvious the guy hasn't actually played past the first couple missions and was just flatly bad at it. No point in nitpicking it though, people are either going to like destiny or not. It isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I historically hate shooters on a console, yet I find this one fun.

I can't contest anything he says about PVP though..I don't do console PVP it is shitty and I refuse to do that without a mouse and keyboard.

I haven't had any error messages or any issues at all in the game.

It's not a *bad* game, but it was definitely over-hyped. I knew what I was getting into due to the Alpha/Beta, but I was slightly hoping that the world(s) would be a bit more... Open.

The conclusions in this review are entirely accurate. The game is one long empty soulless slog through the same handful of seemingly tiny environments for little reward and zero narrative pay off.

I disembarked the hype train immediately after the failure of expectations that was Diablo III. Never again.

I've played quite a few hours of destiny on the Xbone, and have yet to have an error.

My biggest complaint is how they implemented joining groups. If you're standing right next to someone and join their party, it kicks you out to a loading screen, forcing you to reload the map, and then start from the beginning of the level. A lot of wasted time, when it should just join you and be done.

Overall, it's been a lot of fun, and the only real thing holding it back is that it's on a console and not a pc.

After watching streams on Twitch of Destiny game play, I would say that the game is almost identical to Defiance. You can tell that the budget for Destiny was much greater than Defiance. But all in all it's the same game.

Run through all the areas to unlock the missions and dungeons.
Repeat them over and over as you level higher to get gun with +1 more damage than the one you have.
PvP when you're tired of repeating the same areas for +1 more damage gun.

At least Defiance does have guns that you buy with reputation points that add a few extra quirks to the game play. Both share the game play where you just try to stay alive until your Ultimate is back up; then you can abuse the boss. Both have raids.

Defiance was a fun game I'll admit. I bet Destiny will have a similar following if it can keep going.

I have to run this way again? That particular feature is the only thing I remember about the first Halo game.

Destiny is not even a tenth as disappointing as the first Halo game was. In the two years they hyped it up, they promised a lot of stuff they couldn't possibly have delivered. Maybe they did in the Halo games that came after, but I never played those.

I have to run this way again? That particular feature is the only thing I remember about the first Halo game.

Destiny is not even a tenth as disappointing as the first Halo game was. In the two years they hyped it up, they promised a lot of stuff they couldn't possibly have delivered. Maybe they did in the Halo games that came after, but I never played those.

Troll post of the century right here

Troll post of the century right here

At least he said something interesting and added some input. I'm curious to know how people feel about this game (and others), even if you don't agree with what they have to say. :rolleyes:

And yet a bunch of Sheeple still bought it mindlessly. Way to go, "Next-Gen" dumbasses...

You know it's a bad game when Gamespot gives it a 6/10. Practically any sufficiently hyped game from a well known developer will score at least an 8 with them unless it's absolutely terrible.

I can't believe they released a 30 fps game in 2014 on "next gen" consoles. It looks decent from the Twitch streams I've seen but no way i'll be buying either of those jokes of a machine so the only chance of me playing is if they bring it to PC and actually optimize it.

You know it's a bad game when Gamespot gives it a 6/10. Practically any sufficiently hyped game from a well known developer will score at least an 8 with them unless it's absolutely terrible.

The thing is, it's not a bad game though. It has it's faults, and I openly criticize them. However, it is a very sold base for them to work from. Sure it sucks to say a game needs an expansion or DLC to make it better, but in this case, I really think Bungie could make the game 10x better down the road (add better communication, vary the future story missions, new bosses with mechanics outside of bullet sponge, etc). Hopefully they will listen to the community and do that kind of stuff. If not though, I guess it will probably go down as one of the biggest disappointments ever.

I hear about this game absolutely non-stop lately. Isn't this just basically Mass Effect?

Can someone explain this to me as you would a young Forest Gump about how this isn't just a console version of Mass Effect, and what it does that Mass Effect didn't do?

I hear about this game absolutely non-stop lately. Isn't this just basically Mass Effect?

Can someone explain this to me as you would a young Forest Gump about how this isn't just a console version of Mass Effect, and what it does that Mass Effect didn't do?

From what I've read, I have no idea why you are comparing this to mass effect. the mass effect series are some of the best games ever made. Destiny? not so much.

From what I've read, I have no idea why you are comparing this to mass effect. the mass effect series are some of the best games ever made. Destiny? not so much.
Not based on implementation, but on unique gameplay attributes. You can upgrade your equipment and what not, yeah ME did that. You have first person shooter elements, yup like ME. Its future/spacey like ME. It has story elements and a big universe, like ME.

When the Borderlands series came out, you know it had unique elements to it that made it distinct, but with Destiny I'm seeing so much hype but it just seems like a ME ripoff IMO.

I really dont know anything about the game at all, but I'm hearing that it has cleared out a large portion of the final fantasyXIV MMO player base. My girl said her guild or whatever they call it has been hurt badly.

I disembarked the hype train immediately after the failure of expectations that was Diablo III. Never again.

I'm starting to calibrate my expectations for video games after the beer-tv-commercial model.

That model states that the quality of a beer is inversely proportional to the amount of TV commercials that are aired for it....and the best beers never have any tv ads.

Games a blast and polished as hell for what they are trying to accomplish. I'm not going to take sites seriously that pan it. To be honest.

It's closer to Guild Wars and other instance based mmorpgs. If people are expecting Mass Effect or some other closed of single player experience and are reviewing it as such, they are really missing the mark horribly.

The best game to compare it to is a mix of Halo (of course) and Borderlands (classes with random based armor/weapons/leveling). It's a FPS with leveling, plain and simple.

It's not Mass Effect, though I think that if a different developer other than Bioware worked on a game like this with the Mass Effect universe, it could be pretty good. Though looking back at the Mass Effect series, the actual combat was bland, the levels were tiny and the enemies were just as dumb. The main difference between ME and Destiny is the actual RPG/character elements. ME's main strength was the story and characters in the game.

So far, I see a lot of PC only people whining and complaining about a game that doesn't affect them, other than Bungie not bringing it to PC immediately (maybe jealousy?).

Games a blast and polished as hell for what they are trying to accomplish. I'm not going to take sites seriously that pan it. To be honest.

This is sort of my opinion. The game has flaws, but it's fun. Last I checked, that's why I play video games, to have fun.

It's correct that there is very little story/narrative. Don't care. Not every game needs this. I'm enjoying running around killing shit whether I have a purpose for it or not. I wish some things were different about the game. I wish some aspects were better. But, I don't feel any remorse for pre-ordering. Partially because I like the game, and partially because I think it has a lot of potential as a franchise. There is a lot of elements in the game that are outside of what Bungie is familiar with. They will learn a lot based on the common complaints people have, and their next go at it should be much better if they pay attention. I'm all about voting with my wallet, and in this case I voted that I am enjoying the game enough to want more.

I'm sure the review is accurate, but it being Polygon, I didn't bother reading. 6/10 is what I'd give it to, from my experience. Its amazing that the same issues there are with Destiny were said about Diablo3, yet Polygon gave that an amazing score.

Many have commented that with gamergate / zoe that sites are tiptoeing around reviews for the time being, and that could have a major effect.

If you wondered why Bungie made everyone wait to publish reviews, this explains a lot. The constant error messages that bump you from the game (regardless of platform) and other technical issues aside, the game just isn't fun. :(

But according to the commercial that plays every 2 minutes it states that its,

"More than a game". :confused::confused:

I think time will prove out this game and the foolishness of these early reviews. Looking forward to the "updated" reviews where they create strawman "flaws" that were "corrected" in order to justify bringing their review scores in line with what will be the popular perception of the game.

Lets put it this way....

Destiny is so bad that Activision is now making it to come to PC, when they said they wouldn't, that is a giant warning sign right there to stay clear of it.

Lets put it this way....

Destiny is so bad that Activision is now making it to come to PC, when they said they wouldn't, that is a giant warning sign right there to stay clear of it.

Uh... what? Are you just making things up for the sake of contributing to the rabble?

Bungie has had the same stance on the PC from the beginning, which is that its been discussed, and may happen, but nothing is announced. They never said they wouldn't before, and there is no "making it come" now, since it's not been announced.

It seemed like after the Titanfall hype died off that the Destiny hype skyrocketed. Most people already made up their minds that Destiny will leave Titanfall in the dust. Yet Destiny reviews so far have been relatively poor. Was this the case of Destiny trying to do too much rather than trying to focus one thing and do it well like Titanfall did? Which game was the bigger letdown?

I think time will prove out this game and the foolishness of these early reviews. Looking forward to the "updated" reviews where they create strawman "flaws" that were "corrected" in order to justify bringing their review scores in line with what will be the popular perception of the game.

popular perception of the game is poor. Visit any gaming board and youll see nothing but post after post of how dissapointed people are

So far, I see a lot of PC only people whining and complaining about a game that doesn't affect them, other than Bungie not bringing it to PC immediately (maybe jealousy?).

There's not a single game to want as a Day 1 buy these days.
Whether a game comes to PC or not, it doesn't matter. With many of us having massive backlogs, games are all the same now.

Seems to be a lot of hate about Destiny. Perhaps it was all of the hype? I avoided it prior to the beta and then sat on a pre-order (which made me feel dirty as I despise the pre-order machine and all the nonsense that comes with it), but I'm having enormous fun with the game.

popular perception of the game is poor. Visit any gaming board and youll see nothing but post after post of how dissapointed people are

Bunch if idiots or Halo/COD fans looking to hate . Stand by my statement, time will prove it out. It's a great game, but it's not Halo, thank God.

Bunch if idiots or Halo/COD fans looking to hate . Stand by my statement, time will prove it out. It's a great game, but it's not Halo, thank God.

Its a hell of alot worse than halo. This game has a 75% on metacritic right now. The game is a fucking grind and that's it. I'm at level 23. To get vangaurd gear I have to run lvl 22 stokes and to get enough points I have to run it 23 times to get a single cheapest vangaurd item.

You also have to grind your rank high enough to be able to wear it.

Lets not forget its a party centric game with NO PROXIMITY CHAT. Even in a PUG strike there is no voice chat. What a joke

Back