Destiny Press Week

Someone on my FB posted this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeDaevD7cEo

Honestly I am not that impressed. Graphically it looks good (especially for a console game) but gameplay-wise it basically just looks like a Halo-themed Borderlands clone. I know they are supposedly doing some MMO stuff with it, but I'm not really that thrilled.

Kinda goes along with this: http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minutes-of-destiny-and-it-was-kind-of-bori-1568127899

Not releasing on PC is an auto-skip for me anyway, though.

Game looks extremely slow paced, and it seems like there is a severe lack of mobility options in the game.

Someone on my FB posted this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeDaevD7cEo

Honestly I am not that impressed. Graphically it looks good (especially for a console game) but gameplay-wise it basically just looks like a Halo-themed Borderlands clone. I know they are supposedly doing some MMO stuff with it, but I'm not really that thrilled.

Kinda goes along with this: http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minutes-of-destiny-and-it-was-kind-of-bori-1568127899

Not releasing on PC is an auto-skip for me anyway, though.

I really like what Bungie has done in the past, so I'm pretty interested in this game. However, just based on that YouTube video, I found the audio/sound effects to be pretty underwhelming. Music was pretty good, but half the weapons were meh, as well as some of the voiceover during game play. This isn't some sort of deal-breaker or anything, but I just wasn't impressed... though maybe it sounds better with 5.1 sound.

For better or worse I think a lot of people are going to make comparisons to Halo. When the guy unleashed that "Ghost," the first thing I thought was "343 Guilty Spark," except they got rid of his smooth, spherical shape.

Awesome, console only! None of my friends will be griping at me to join them in some lame ass shooter since we're all only PC gamers. I'm very happy bungie doesn't like money.

Seems okay, but nothing particularly amazing. I might get it if my friends pull the trigger and want to team up.

I am interested in this but there are so many questions. How big are the worlds? How open are the areas on the worlds/planets? Is there any incentive to explore? Can I play single player?

Bungie just doesn't seem to want to break into the PC market... Destiny would be a great game on PC... Oh well I'll probably still pick it up for PS4

PC market for Destiny is like hey it's 11.99 on steam!!! People would complain until they got it for 4.99 on steam =)

I can see why it's console only =) The success of Halo was Console only and PC ports were nerfed after a while.

I was originally syked about this, but just don't care anymore. So many games in my queue... I don't like MMO's really. Just single or competitive multiplayer focused games.

Considering they are spending 1/2 billion on the game kinda interested in that. I bet you see Pepsi products Doritos and all thos marketed things that will stream from the game.

It looks like a serious Borderlands 2

Awesome, console only! None of my friends will be griping at me to join them in some lame ass shooter since we're all only PC gamers. I'm very happy bungie doesn't like money.

Why are you in the console section then??? But yea, this does look mediocre :(

I had this pre-ordered but went ahead and cancelled. I'll wait till after release to see if it gets crazy good reviews or not. You can throw a lot of money at something and it can still suck. So I wouldn't put too much weight into the fact they spent half a billion on this game.

Where the hell did this half a bil number come from? There's no way they spent that much on a game....hell I have a really hard time believing they spent a tenth of that in the development.

Where the hell did this half a bil number come from? There's no way they spent that much on a game....hell I have a really hard time believing they spent a tenth of that in the development.

Its an MMOFPS of sorts, they're probably making the mistake of every other company and trying to "reinvent the genre" while eventually being just like the rest.

I can see why it's console only =) The success of Halo was Console only and PC ports were nerfed after a while.

Developers will make more selling on PC due to not having to pay the ridiculous fees that Microsoft and Sony force developers to pay to put content on the console.

Halo succeeded because it was a good game not because it was console only. Not sure what your talking about when you say the port was nerfed...

The PC port actually added new stuff that wasn't in the Xbox release and you can still play on servers to this day. The gamespy shutdown may have killed it since it was used for the server browser.

You're probably right...90% of that money is likely going to marketing. :p

Regarding some points from the business side -

The $500m dollar budget is a marketing number, in the sense that it incorporates things beyond actual development costs (most notably marketing costs, and amortized longer term support costs) to pump up a larger number to market the game. The actual development cost is said to be ~$140m sans marketing costs, and even this likely includes certain longer term costs not directly related to developing the actual game. Bungie's current employment count is a rather large ~500.

Activision-Blizzards contract with Bungie is for 10 years for 4 (or was it 3?) games I believe. So they are likely not looking at success for Destiny as an individual game but whether or not it can launch a franchise. So the large initial investment is likely in large part to achieve this goal. Keep in mind a successful franchise can spawn other revenue streams as well aside from the actual core entertainment property. A great example of this is Star Wars which has actually generated more revenue (several times I believe) from other sources than the actual movies themselves.

Back