Destiny Alpha

I'm still waiting for my invite. Driving me crazy. All my friends got their invites

For an alpha this looks and plays great shoots kinda halo reminds me of borderlands/kotor.

Just got my invite and am downloading the game as we speak! I'm so pumped, this game looks really fun from the streams I've watched.

Finally got my email. Think I may preorder this one from the Sony store with the preload

Yeah, I pre-ordered through Amazon which sent me a code for the beta. I thought that applied for the Alpha as well, but it apparently didnt. So, I missed it. Kinda lame, but whatever.

Yep downloading now, forgot about it being for anyone who registered. I did get into the BF4 Hardline beta though.

Playing through the mission it starts you out on. It's fun. It doesn't really feel like Borderlands and the shooting isn't quite Halo either. Nothing feels overly groundbreaking about the game but nothing seems outright bad either. It looks a heck of a lot better than those videos that popped up prior to E3 as well.

Played about 2 hours tonight, I thought it was great. I also got sort of a Halo meets Borderlands vibe. It played well for a console FPS, and it looks pretty damn good too.

The amount of auto-aim was sort of crazy, but it did allow me to do decently in the first mission.

It seems to play a lot "heavier" than Halo to me. Halo was a lot more "floaty" than this is.

If you didn't get in and want to play, just go to twitter and watch for the #DestinyAlpha hashtag.

It'll take some patience, but look out for people posting lists of keys and just snag a key from the middle or something as soon as you see it. I got lucky and saw someone post a list almost immediately after I started looking and managed to redeem it. Friend did the same thing and got one as well.

I did the first mission or whatever and it was pretty fun, but the game definitely screams CO-OP so I'll be waiting to play with friends before going any further with it. It was pretty fun from what I played though. When I got to the town I jumped around like an idiot for a few minutes and got to watch some guy following me promptly fall to his death after he missed a jump I made.

I played for a few hours last night. A friend and I did the Strike mission and had a blast.

Is the alpha just the one story, strike and exploration mission, (though exploration has mini missions within it)?
And something else i noticed in beta but must have missed up to this point, they are 3 man fireteams. thats really blows since there's 4 of us the lan every friday.

While playing the alpha just had he system freeze had to pull the power cord and it ran a safe mode check. Never had any issues ever before that pretty freaky

While playing the alpha just had he system freeze had to pull the power cord and it ran a safe mode check. Never had any issues ever before that pretty freaky

Haven't had this happen to me yet from the alpha. But I have had system freezes on both my PS4 and XBone.

Too bad, I hope they can make it a 60fps game by release :S. 30 fps and I can feel slow downs. Otherwise much better game than Titanfall already.

Haven't had this happen to me yet from the alpha. But I have had system freezes on both my PS4 and XBone.

Too bad, I hope they can make it a 60fps game by release :S. 30 fps and I can feel slow downs. Otherwise much better game than Titanfall already.

Nobody really mentioned Xbox one. But I have 2 and one runs a lot since media center runs through it like most of the day neither has ever required a pull of the power cord.

But I wasn't talking about that I was talking about PSN and Destiny.

This has been better than i thought TBH. I was getting bummed about this title. Enjoying it even tho its just an alpha.

Nobody really mentioned Xbox one. But I have 2 and one runs a lot since media center runs through it like most of the day neither has ever required a pull of the power cord.

But I wasn't talking about that I was talking about PSN and Destiny.

I mentioned it because I've had it happen on both systems. But not for this alpha which I feel has been running superb for what it is, an Alpha.

I mentioned it because I've had it happen on both systems. But not for this alpha which I feel has been running superb for what it is, an Alpha.

It's not an alpha. The game is out at the beginning of September. It is well past the alpha stage.

It's not an alpha. The game is out at the beginning of September. It is well past the alpha stage.

Whatever they have it as, it's still running very well. I can't wait to try it out again at the end of next month to see improvements.

The place they are at in development, the game is already more fun than Titanfall was at release.

Whatever they have it as, it's still running very well. I can't wait to try it out again at the end of next month to see improvements.

The place they are at in development, the game is already more fun than Titanfall was at release.

Now that I have to agree with. I kind of regret buying Titanfall.

I don't like that you don't level up during strikes. I get that there's a point to saving all the sugar for those that complete the mission, but not getting access to that next upgrade is annoying. At least at low levels.

They're very stingy with loot. There's maybe a chest here or there, but most of it seems to be restricted to rewards for completing missions. This is NOT 'Borderlands' wrt to loot.

I've only played through one strike mission, and I was underleveled (5 vs recommended 6), but the boss creatures takes FOREVER to take down. We're three players spending maybe 30-40 minutes chipping one down. If we wipe boss progress resets. Having a heavy weapon may have helped, but again, you don't level during strike play and the one I had was restricted to level 6+

Running out of ammo seems to be a theme. You have to 'harvest' normal enemies from time to time to fill up. I think I had 180 rounds max, and I would have to kill normal enemies and pick up more in order to be able to continue chipping on the boss in the area.

The Tower, the social area, seems mostly pointless. It's very "MMO" with you running between vendors and what not. A great waste of time in other words. If I had the option of just selecting what I wanted to do from a menu I'd do that instead. But I guess the kids want dance and show off their armor.

You have, at least initially, three weapon slots, for Normal, Special and Heavy weapons. The distinction between normal and special weapons seems pretty arbitrary (a shotgun is special while a hand cannon is not) and only exist to restrict which combination of weapons you can equip at the same time.

Of course since it's a console game you're very limited in powers. Seems to me like you can only have three (left/right triggers + both for special). I'm still unclear on how exactly the progression works and if you actually get to choose between powers or if they simply 'evolve' as you use them.

Whatever the case, I haven't seen any indication that there are any interesting interactions between powers between classes. You don't really combo yourself either (unless maybe you count jumping and then throwing a bomb or whatever).

Played one round of PvP. Was thrown into a team that was losing badly, so that was great. Didn't really see anything interesting about the PvP. Is this the 'Halo combat' people love? Jebus.

Click stick to run? Wait, why is movement not just fully analog on the.. you know, analog stick? It's just weird.

Enemy spawn is horrible. Basically enemies just appear out of thin air 'around the corner'. You can kill a group. Stand still, and not a minute later the same group will reappear before your eyes. Feels cheap. "Oh, so I accomplished nothing. I get it."

Last edited:
Click stick to run? Wait, why is movement not just fully analog on the.. you know, analog stick? It's just weird.

Clicking the stick is the standard "sprint" button is just about every console shooter since CoD4 I believe. Nothing weird about it to people that play console shooters a lot.

Titanfail = Cold Cod developers

Destiny = Successful Bungie guys

I'll wait for the final release I can save up more Bing reward points for purchase though Amazon.

Anyone seen any alpha codes out there still? I picked up a PS4 but after the sign-up was over.

The game is fun, but some of the decisions are fucking retarded with PVP.

Tank is literally as fast as the bike. Except it's a fucking tank. If you get it and are not retarded, you've won the game.

Hunter has the best movement for PVP in the game. Double jump is just flat out better than a jetpack that moves you at half the speed.

The autoaim is fucking nuts. You literally just have to get your crosshair vaguely over them and the game will track them almost perfectly from that point on. Everyone including you is hilariously accurate, if you're shooting at or getting shot at, the bullets are likely hitting. Why can the auto aim track someone moving at running speed all on its own? It's not assisting shit, it's actually doing it for you.

Back