Destiny 2

Guess who finally got Whisper of the Worm last night? ;)

It just finally had the clearance and courage to really go for it. I fired up the app, assembled a fireteam, and on the second effort we were fresh enough we got it done. Now I have to brace and prepare for the catalyst run.

I can see that I had better get used to seeing that place at least once a week with the chests and all. Yikes.

I'm guessing the stinkin' 20 minute clock never goes away?

Down to the last 19 paradox amplifiers, ever.

Can't happen fast enough.

I just downloaded the XUR app which tells you what he has for the week and his location and it lists previouis inventory for like the past 6 months seems everyone wants the Suros auto rifle.

I dislike that weapon. It's ugly and it's shit.

Guess who finally got Whisper of the Worm last night? ;)

It just finally had the clearance and courage to really go for it. I fired up the app, assembled a fireteam, and on the second effort we were fresh enough we got it done. Now I have to brace and prepare for the catalyst run.

I can see that I had better get used to seeing that place at least once a week with the chests and all. Yikes.

I'm guessing the stinkin' 20 minute clock never goes away?

Nope. The clock always sticks around.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I got back in there with a team and this one guy was leading two of us and we got 5/6 out of the chests before the clock ran out. We had some platforming mistakes and it costs us. So I need to get back in there and get the sixth chest and kick off the catalysts... do I understand that right?

I couldn't imagine doing that without the Stomp EE boots.

Getting the chests before the catalyst is a waste of time if I remember correctly, you should kill the bosses in the heroic version so that you get the catalyst in your inventory, then afterwards you can go do grab the chests (easily done solo, the last one requires a numeric sequence you should google before attempting)

like this
I got back in there with a team and this one guy was leading two of us and we got 5/6 out of the chests before the clock ran out. We had some platforming mistakes and it costs us. So I need to get back in there and get the sixth chest and kick off the catalysts... do I understand that right?

I couldn't imagine doing that without the Stomp EE boots.

You need to clear it in Heroic mode to receive the catalyst. Then you need to complete a run for all six chests to upgrade the catalyst. A clear each week and a chest run each week will shorten the time to fully unlock the weapon to three weeks. You will also receive the schematic for the Taken ship "A Thousand Wings" if you open all six chests in a single run. It will then take three clears of the heroic mode, each with a different light singe to complete that. The mission can be cleared on all three classes without any special exotics. Sometimes Stomp-EEs make things worse as you can more easily over shoot some platforms.

Getting the chests before the catalyst is a waste of time if I remember correctly, you should kill the bosses in the heroic version so that you get the catalyst in your inventory, then afterwards you can go do grab the chests (easily done solo, the last one requires a numeric sequence you should google before attempting)

Indeed.

Last edited:
like this
We had done Heroic and won that. The Catalyst was installed immediately upon completion.

After that, we took a brief break and then went back in there.

We came back and this guy started leading us through all the chests. We made it out to 5/6 and because of too many platforming mistakes (I hate the sadist that designed this) so the clock ran out and everyone had to go.

So that's where I'm at. I never though I'd even get this far.

You'll get better at it. I can get to the final boss fight with 6 or 7 minutes on the clock pretty consistently. I have occasionally gotten much better times with over ten minutes remaining. There are people who can speed run it and get to the end with 14 or 15 minutes remaining on the clock.

like this
You'll get better at it. I can get to the final boss fight with 6 or 7 minutes on the clock pretty consistently. I have occasionally gotten much better times with over ten minutes remaining. There are people who can speed run it and get to the end with 14 or 15 minutes remaining on the clock.

After the fifth chest (I was able to get back there before clock ran out)... I had NO clue where to go. It's SO dark. I'm going to have to watch some YT and go by memory.

Unless I can beg someone to lead me through it. ;)

Finally got the Ikelos SMG this morning I think I wound up doing around 12-14 runs of EP before getting it.

I decided to pull Suros Regime from the vault as you guys where mentioning it and I have to agree it is not that good. I had barely tried it before, but with either perk I felt the damage was lacking as well as the mag size being too low.

Finding an interesting saucy mix of 'dust rock blues' shotgun kinetic, bad reputation SMG fire, and dawnblade.

DRB has dumb awesome handling where I can: come up, plant a shot, and melee more than the majority of times and come out alive.. Plus the fire melee may kill anyone who has a sliver.

Finally got null calam 9 done.. Just the #2.. so nine paradox amplifiers left! So damn tired, but happy.

• Conqueror 2,
  • Sagiras shell
  • Ikelos Sniper,
  • Osprey,
  • null calam 9,
  • traveler's judgement 5,
  • Ikelos SMG,
  • Sleeper simm,

Holy moley.. it's over. The RNG was not going to give that up lightly.. A mess of singles and zeros for strikes and rumbles.

FFS.. Well.. time to take a break until tuesday. I was hoping to have had this knocked out earlier, but oh well.

If I am lucky both the nightfall and the EP will be in my favor. If not.. bleh.

• Ikelos Sniper,
  • Osprey,

• Conqueror 2,
  • Sagiras shell
  • null calam 9,
  • traveler's judgement 5,
  • Ikelos SMG,
  • Sleeper simm,

According to this, I.Sniper is this next week's rotation. Well.. that's a relief.
https://www.shacknews.com/article/109181/escalation-protocol-schedule-destiny-2

After the fifth chest (I was able to get back there before clock ran out)... I had NO clue where to go. It's SO dark. I'm going to have to watch some YT and go by memory.

Unless I can beg someone to lead me through it. ;)
Turn the brightness up on your TV. Helps on the platforming for the 2nd and last chest, and in general. Also, make sure you have a weapon with good fire rate and decent range. One of the things you have to shoot for the last chest is oddly farther away then the rest. Short distance weapons can miss. I use a fast firing scout.

Nice, [H] stopped notifying me about new posts in this thread.

Man Q-BZ so happy you got Whisper and got to experience that place. Still, to this day, my number one favorite piece of content in D2, especially when you think about how it was COMPLETELY a secret until us players put together what was going on on IO and figured out how to open the portal. And yes, once you get the gun, do your heroic runs twice. Once just to get chests (so you have plenty of time) and another to kill the bosses. Trying to do it all in one run is doable but you gotta be really, really quick.

You can do the oracle puzzle as well to get the ship blueprint. Once I got that ship, I never took it off my Warlock and I never plan too.

The reward for completing it was never leaked, not once so it was a big mystery to everyone.

To this day i love running back through there with the music cranked and enjoy the hell out of it each time.

Finally got a solo completion this past week using the revelry buff on my bottom tree sentinel titan so unlimited super (given that you hit things and are wearing doomfangs).

I want a new entirely hidden mission like that again!

Somehow it just finally came together for me yesterday.

I have the ship blueprint and took care of the weekly "solar singe" run yesterday and last night with a random fireteam thanks to the Destiny 2 app. (All games need this...all games need DIM but I digress... )

Whisper is unbelievable. I took that for a test spin and my eyes just bulged out when I saw what a well placed precision shot with that bad boy did.

For me, one nifty little "cheat" on the platforming was arming a sword to force a third person view. Ironically I also disabled HDR, turned the in game brightness up to max, and upped my monitor just a little bit and I could actually see where I was going in those really dark places.

Hitting those oracles just right made me almost crack a sweat but I finally got that done and that was a good feeling.

So if I understand all of this correctly: I need to wait for the weekly reset then I go back, do the next singe run (if it's different than solar now)... hit the chests for the essences until I max the catalyst out... and hit the end fight at least once until all of that is done. No more oracles.

Correct?

P.S. I LOVE that music in that one open area with the brutal platforming. You all know what I'm talking about. ;)

Its also worth noting that if you aren't in a hurry, you don't have to do the oracle/get the sixth chest each week, it'll just take you longer. Hell, you can not beat the bosses at all but the largest chunk of essence comes from it.

However, since you need to beat it on each singe for the ship blueprint (if you care about it) then you might as well get a full run done. And yeah, once on each singe. I believe today and all last week were arc and it'll change tomorrow.

As for the Whisper itself, it's so cool. Now, single shot pre-catalyst performance isn't great, lets be clear. DARCI beats it by a mile. TBH, it's not worth the slot unless you have the catalyst and activate it. Even WITH the catalyst active (Whispered Breathing by holding ADS for a 2 seconds), per shot, DARCI is still better.

It really comes into its own when you need to put down sustained, consistent DPS in a mostly stationary boss. White Nail, the perk that procs when you land 3 consecutive crits will instantly, and from thin air, reload your magazine giving you unlimited ammo IF you can hit your shots.

When you get and apply the catalyst, this will unlock Whispered Breathing. I've seen many people not realize you have to actually proc this by holding down ADS until you see the Whispered Breathing buff show up. With that up, you're doing 61.5% increased damage per crit which is HUGE, making it really the only way to shoot it.

Last edited:
Somehow it just finally came together for me yesterday.

I have the ship blueprint and took care of the weekly "solar singe" run yesterday and last night with a random fireteam thanks to the Destiny 2 app. (All games need this...all games need DIM but I digress... )

Whisper is unbelievable. I took that for a test spin and my eyes just bulged out when I saw what a well placed precision shot with that bad boy did.

For me, one nifty little "cheat" on the platforming was arming a sword to force a third person view. Ironically I also disabled HDR, turned the in game brightness up to max, and upped my monitor just a little bit and I could actually see where I was going in those really dark places.

Hitting those oracles just right made me almost crack a sweat but I finally got that done and that was a good feeling.

So if I understand all of this correctly: I need to wait for the weekly reset then I go back, do the next singe run (if it's different than solar now)... hit the chests for the essences until I max the catalyst out... and hit the end fight at least once until all of that is done. No more oracles.

Correct?

P.S. I LOVE that music in that one open area with the brutal platforming. You all know what I'm talking about. ;)

Correct, except, as stated, you have to do the oracles for the 6th chest to appear.

like this
Its also worth noting that if you aren't in a hurry, you don't have to do the oracle/get the sixth chest each week, it'll just take you longer. Hell, you can not beat the bosses at all but the largest chunk of essence comes from it.

However, since you need to beat it on each singe for the ship blueprint (if you care about it) then you might as well get a full run done. And yeah, once on each singe. I believe today and all last week were arc and it'll change tomorrow.

As for the Whisper itself, it's so cool. Now, single shot pre-catalyst performance isn't great, lets be clear. DARCI beats it by a mile. TBH, it's not worth the slot unless you have the catalyst and activate it. Even WITH the catalyst active (Whispered Breathing by holding ADS for a 2 seconds), per shot, DARCI is still better.

It really comes into its own when you need to put down sustained, consistent DPS in a mostly stationary boss. White Nail, the perk that procs when you land 3 consecutive crits will instantly, and from thin air, reload your magazine giving you unlimited ammo IF you can hit your shots.

When you get and apply the catalyst, this will unlock Whispered Breathing. I've seen many people not realize you have to actually proc this by holding down ADS until you see the Whispered Breathing buff show up. With that up, you're doing 61.5% increased damage per crit which is HUGE, making it really the only way to shoot it.

The problem with DARCI is that she's a hungry bitch and is hard to keep fed. Whisper effectively makes its own ammunition if your using it correctly. Even where DARCI will out DPS it, Whisper is often the more practical option even without the catalyst.

The problem with DARCI is that she's a hungry bitch and is hard to keep fed. Whisper effectively makes its own ammunition if your using it correctly. Even where DARCI will out DPS it, Whisper is often the more practical option even without the catalyst.

Absolutely.

Though man.. the ammo nerf that happened a few weeks ago really made it a pain to keep loaded in SoTP. Prior, it would be used to break the bosses shield points and occasionally stun him and in those cases, you weren't making 3x shots so not regaining ammo. It didn't matter though because with 20+ rounds, you'd still have plenty come the DPS phase even if you missed a shot or two.

Now, hell i've been pulling out my Bite of the Fox to finish the DPS phase as I routinely run out of ammo. Keeps things interesting i suppose and promotes getting more creative with weapon choices.

like this
Absolutely.

Though man.. the ammo nerf that happened a few weeks ago really made it a pain to keep loaded in SoTP. Prior, it would be used to break the bosses shield points and occasionally stun him and in those cases, you weren't making 3x shots so not regaining ammo. It didn't matter though because with 20+ rounds, you'd still have plenty come the DPS phase even if you missed a shot or two.

Now, hell i've been pulling out my Bite of the Fox to finish the DPS phase as I routinely run out of ammo. Keeps things interesting i suppose and promotes getting more creative with weapon choices.

Some of the recent changes seem to have been designed to promote people using more varied weapon choices. They tried to bring auto-rifles up a bit and alter shotguns somewhat. Unfortunately, their changes didn't really have the desired effect. Scout Rifles are still too weak, auto-rifles are still too weak for all but very specific activities and the shotgun changes, while meaningful in PvP, haven't changed a damn bit in PvE. Everyone still runs Thread Level, Ikelos, etc.

Speaking of which. I finally got the Legend of Acrius Shotgun.

Last edited:
like this
Too true. In PvE for shotguns, it doesn't feel right unless i'm using either of those. I have been meaning to try some of the higher impact, slower firing ones however.

like this
Too true. In PvE for shotguns, it doesn't feel right unless i'm using either of those. I have been meaning to try some of the higher impact, slower firing ones however.

If you can get a good one, the Last Man Standing and Parcel of Stardust aren't too bad. Even with the nerf to fire rates, the fire rate on the auto-shotguns like Perfect Paradox, Ikelos etc. still has them vastly out DPS'ing any other shotgun type.

like this
13.00 on ebay =) I figured if I bought the entire set they would mute each other out =) I do like Shaxx though but not willing to pay 30.00 for him.

thumbnail (1).jpg

I've been enjoying the Loaded Question as an energy weapon lately. I do love trying new loadouts during this "down time" at the moment.

I've been enjoying the Loaded Question as an energy weapon lately. I do love trying new loadouts during this "down time" at the moment.

The Loaded Question was a pinnacle weapon that I felt was terrible when I first got it. It wasn't until recently where I decided to give it a shot and actually use it as intended where I found out how incredible it is to blow away groups of adds. Once you get into the right mindset where you have to fire it then immediately put it away so it reloads it becomes a beast. That first shot perk is nuts if the adds are grouped up.

If you need to repeatedly fire though, it becomes apparent its an extremely average fusion rifle.

I just picked this weapon up late last night. In less than an hour I already had 130 kills on the thing. It's allot of fun. I've never liked the Fusion rifle category at all until Jotuun. I don't know if the Loaded Question is "better" in any way but its certainly entertaining me more than it probably should at the moment.

Ya, it's great for ads. It's useful to pop off a shot to a major and finish off with a primary. Plus with the boss stomp as crazy as it is, it provides a little bit of distance vs the ikelos while still packing a punch.

Give it a couple days though, then I'll be back to shotgunning things in the face. lol

I jumped on last night for the sole reason of completing my Hard Light catalyst. Now i've always heard of people using the Thrall room in the Whisper mission for neverending thrall to kill but never did it myself and let me tell you.. that is by far the easiest way to farm adds.

I was at ~25-30% on my catalyst completion when I went in and in about 9-10 minutes had it complete. Warlock, Devour, Lunafactions, class ability rift meant I could stand in one spot, never reload and get healed with Devour after every kill.

Now to look at what other guns I have with catalysts I'm too lazy to complete normally...

You can go to reddit if you want it spoiled but... something is happening.

Can't wait to get home!

like this
Do the heroic on Titan, and open up door on left after killing the shrieker and... ;)

I'm proud of myself. 2/3 done with ship schematic and 72 percent on Whisper Catalyst. I'll finish this up in a week.

Just annoyed 'strange terrain' is not in the week's rotation, but the Ikeleos Sniper is. If ya need a PC warlock on the healing train you'll know where to find me.

This may be a good time to jump into a random nightfall to see how those work. Sorry to anyone who's time I ruin bumbling around.

Just annoyed 'strange terrain' is not in the week's rotation, but the Ikeleos Sniper is. If ya need a PC warlock on the healing train you'll know where to find me.

This may be a good time to jump into a random nightfall to see how those work. Sorry to anyone who's time I ruin bumbling around.

Nightfall strikes do not have match making.

Nightfall strikes do not have match making.
Wait, what? For real? Son of a biscuit; that butter's my bread wrong.

I guess I'll look at the reddit groups for this and see who I can jump in on with or that clan thing I am in with.

I guess I'll look at the reddit groups for this and see who I can jump in on with or that clan thing I am in with.

Nightfall strikes do not have matchmaking. They also lock your equipment selection down where you cannot change it during the mission. Also, there are challenge card modifiers to improve your score. Generally, you want to break 100k. This gives you the emblem and increases your chances of getting Nightfall specific loot such as the weapons, mounts, etc.

Also make sure you have the five of swords card from Xur before attempting any Nightfall. If you're going in solo, you'll want to make it as easy as possible.

Adding that to something I didn't know, yet. Thanks!

You get the challenge card from Xur. You can apply modifiers which make the strike easier, and others that make it more challenging. The latter improves your score.

Do the scores do much in terms of getting loot or just for triumphs and what not?

Back