Desperate times call for desperate measures...

may i be worthy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2010
EDIT: 6th Oct: See OC settings here

original.jpg

01_bon_homme_richard_cv_31.jpg

SR2 number 2 is now operational and just went online for the [H]orde. Wahoooooo! :D

Final stable overclock: dual hexacore x5660's at 4.255Ghz, memory smoking at 2:10, full report to follow tomorrow in the SR2 Optimisation thread.

It benches 150,000 ppd on 2686, and right now is chugging through its first ever live work unit - a SMP 6070 standard, and getting 93,123 ppd on that. :eek:

EDIT 8th oct: After 10e's famous disable NUMA trick, now

2686 162,850 ppd
2684 98,500 ppd

Excuse me while I bust some virtual champagne on that...

shipchristening.jpg

Bedtime now, but hopefully when I wake up both SR2s will be working bigadv.

Anyway, great to launch today, because evga's Punchy just got back from a vacation, and we need someone to cancel him out. ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind putting that to some WCG or other BOINC work for a few calendar days; 24 days CPU time per calendar day, 1 year CPU time in just over 2 weeks. :eek:

Cool setups and pics of both please!

Btw, you should change your sig: "...Worthy problems deserve 24 logical cores... " ;)

Wow...that is smokin' fast! Fold on, [H]ard brother!

hardware pr0n or its not real !!!!!!!!!

really man, thats just insane...and kick ass

Holy crap, that's gotta be close to the fastest rig on the team, great OC!!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I think it is safe to say that it is by far the fastest rig on the team. The second fastest is MIBW's other SR-2 with dual X5650s.

Thanks guys, I am just a little bit excited about it joining the [H]orde, as you may detect. As usual it was a challenge to overclock, and surprisingly different from the x5650's. Pics to come tomorrow, and.... it's naked on the floor, if that helps whet your appetite.:eek:

I am sure there is some boinc in my future.

Thank you sir. And if I may be so bold... ahem... I think they might even be the 2 fastest rigs on the team. :eek: (do forgive my hysterically extravagant "smack talk" I believe it is called. :eek: I am sure someone will correct me)

Edit: thank you musky for the confirmation!

Dammit - just got another standard, I was waiting up hoping for a bigadv. I wonder how long I have to wait before I see two 2686's going at the same time. Probably a month. :(

Last edited:
Yea thats definitely the fastest one.
I wonder if he can get sub 10min TPF on a 2692???:confused::eek:

would that break the one day barrier?

Easily...my guess is that he might break 18 hours with that machine. My dual L5640 machines break the one day barrier by a few minutes. These machines make mine look pathetically slow... :)

Yea thats definitely the fastest one.
I wonder if he can get sub 10min TPF on a 2692???:confused::eek:

I have never had one, can't say. I googled and saw parja mention 12 min frame times, and I think he is at 4:07 ghz on a hex, so that would imply no.

would that break the one day barrier?

What one day barrier? ;)

SR2#1 does 2686 in about 21 hours, so yeah, they clear that one in their street shoes. 2684 is the only bigadv that takes more than 24hrs, unless of course i have to use my rig for like, you know, work.:(

Lol @404, just saw your pic, it took a while on my iPad. Yes, Great Scott!

What one day barrier? ;)

SR2#1 does 2686 in about 21 hours, so yeah, they clear that one in their street shoes. 2684 is the only bigadv that takes more than 24hrs, unless of course i have to use my rig for like, you know, work.:(

You just blew my mind.
divide-by-zero-blog-safe.jpg

Wow MIBW, that's pretty kick @$$.

I would love to see what settings you are using for voltages, etc... in the SR-2 Optimization thread. I just stabilized at 3.9Ghz (195x20), RAM at 1560. I'm gonna try and push my x5650s now to x22 multi just because of you.

You're a very bad (@ss) man :)

Keep on folding!

I don't think you picked the right username to be a part of the [H]orde. Putting up hardware and PPD like that, I don't think there is any question about your worthiness!

Way to fold, and thanks for all your contributions!!! :cool:

Way to go, that's an incredible OC on those Xeons!

I'm saving up so I can get some more D going on, but I don't know if I can match those!

The ship on page one is an aircraft carrier, the USS Bon Homme Richard.

It benches 150,000 ppd on 2686, and right now is chugging through its first ever live work unit - a SMP 6070 standard, and getting 93,123 ppd on that. :eek:

I really ought to get off the fence and take the SR2 plunge. Those are truly incredible numbers. Well done mate.

Pulled some more D out of a couple new blade servers we're configuring at work.

System 1 - Xeon L5430 @ 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR2
System 2 - Dual Xeon L5430 @ 2.66GHz, 8GB DDR2

Both are headless so no GPU folding but they put out a combined PPD of ~18k.

I'll keep em running until we hit the 4B mark then they go into production use.

Holy #&^@. 2 SR-2 beasties... Two. TWO! I feel so inadequate with 2 c2q's that take 12+ hours to even handle a standard. God forbid I get a 200K wu which guarantees at least a day and a half.

Fold On, man! You all rock!

And like a dozen more with just one

Man, we've really soaked those things up!!

Thanks guys again. :p

But do I wake up this morning to see twin SR2's ripping through bigadv? No, I wake up to see one with a 6701, and the other on a 6702, for a grand total of under 100k ppd. About a third of what they are capable of. Hearing my screams of how much I detest 6702's, the universe decided to reward me further by following them with another 6701 on each.:(

So I think this might be a better pic of where I am at right now.

minesveiper_858_1172074733.jpg

You sir are [H]ard!

With no bigadv, I am as [F]laccid as a soggy biscuit.:eek:

I would love to see what settings you are using for voltages, etc... in the SR-2 Optimization thread...

Post #7 and #142 are the main ones, to save you wading through the lot.

I don't think you picked the right username to be a part of the [H]orde. Putting up hardware and PPD like that, I don't think there is any question about your worthiness!..

The nice thing about [H] is that the welcome is the same if you are contributing 5K ppd. I was thinking about me being worthy of the SR2 that made me choose my nick. They are humbling!

agreed, my paltry 12k ppd makes me ashamed.

Even if you were kidding, allow me to be serious in reply, because I hate the thought that my good fortune could make you feel that way.

I have a somewhat privileged position compared to the average folder. I run my own company, doing 3D rendering, so these machines not only make me money, they are paid for with pre-tax dollars and depreciated. The cost me 55% of what they would if I was just doing this for the cause. Some folks here have funded multiple SR2s and more with nothing more than folding in mind. So really the only cost to me is power when using otherwise idle work machines. And even that is not as bad as most folks, because if there is a more power efficient way to do up to 294,000 PPD for under 1200 watts, I would like to hear about it. That is the good part. The bad is that I cannot run FAH full time dedicated on work machines - so 294,000 ppd will be a rare thing.

One of the reasons I joined this team was the quality of the people here, and I remember one thing Kendrak said to me was that friendship here was not based on who we folded for, or for how much. Also with so many SR2's here I thought I would be less irritating on a big team to the battlers, and who have put far more into the cause than I ever could.

I like to think of folding as each of us in turn rolling a huge ball down a long road, where one day a scientist will study it and find unlock a secret inside it that will unlock other secrets, and one day make possible drugs that could save precious lives, each as valuable to someone else as my daughter is to me. I will be giving that ball a big kick for a few miles, but then you will take it and push it along even further. Each one of us needs to keep that ball going straight on down the road, or it will be lost. Each link in that chain has to be unbroken, and one day when they announce a breakthrough, or a cure, we both can equally say we had a small hand in that. Without either of us, it would not have got done by when it did. And the faster we get it done, the more lives are saved.

EDIT: 6th Oct: See OC settings here

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
Updated original post with better PPD numbers since 10e's famous disable NUMA trick..

And I have moved from the floor to the rack, now that things are operational.

large.jpg

Ahhh, that is so much neater hey? :p

But look closely. Notice the raked angles, so that the intake fans on the Noctua CPU coolers drink cold fresh air near the floor, yet exhaust slighty to the right, to help prevent hot bubble of air forming under the shelf above. (4 temp sensors to prove it was working) Note the 200mm Big Boy fan blowing from the left side to help the hotter CPU-0 general area, keep RAM cool (really tucked under hot CPU coolers) as well as keep hot air flowing away to the right (SR2 #1 is in a case to the left. Note the HDD placed near the fan to keep cool - it doesn't need much. Plus one more 120mm fan for RAM on CPU-1.

And note the chaos of cabling that lived behind where 4 Q6600 boxen used to live. Hmmm, better do something with that. I wonder what that charger handing down the wall belonged to?

Anyway, as you can see, I care deeply about PPD, temps, and as for how it looks... not so much ;)

grats, nice setup too bro. loven it

Im jelous.... im still waiting for comcast to replace a part, lol......

I run my own company, doing 3D rendering, so these machines not only make me money, they are paid for with pre-tax dollars and depreciated.
What a coincidence, I am the owner of a game studio :D Maybe in a few months time we'll have the revenue to go crazy with such systems as well :)

What a coincidence, I am the owner of a game studio :D Maybe in a few months time we'll have the revenue to go crazy with such systems as well :)

How about that?

I often tell people my business is an elaborate front to fund my photography and computing habits. I took a quick look at your blog and I would like to say that I wish you every success and happiness. ;)

You might want to consider flipping the hard drive upside down, or putting it "on blocks", so the circuit board gets a little airflow. I run my caseless setups that way, as I've had a few drives go bad where it was the board, not the mechanical parts, that failed.

You might want to consider flipping the hard drive upside down, or putting it "on blocks", so the circuit board gets a little airflow. I run my caseless setups that way, as I've had a few drives go bad where it was the board, not the mechanical parts, that failed.

Actually you are better off sitting them on an edge. Just put them where they cannot fall over, but still get airflow. That and some double sided tape go a long way. :)

Back