Desperate need of help New Build no POST, Smoked capacitor

Benjus

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I put together a new i7 system today after I connected everything and double checked, when I booted up one of the capacitors right next to the CHA_FAN 2 3 pin connector went red hot and smoked. I turned the comp off and unplugged it and redid all of the connections. When I booted up again the system won't post, and I can't force it to turn off by either the power button on my chasis or through the mobo, I have to unplug it directly.

Also, none of my CHA_FAN ports work.

Here's what's in my system:

Chasis : HAF 932
Vid: XFX 4890
HDD: 2 WD 750 Blacks
RAM: 12 GB OCZ XMP DDR3 1600
CPU: i7 920
PSU: Corseair TX 750
EDIT: MB: ASUS P6T v2 Deluxe
I really need the help, or whether I should RMA the board to try again!

Last edited:
Follow the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when your system doesn't POST

I did that already. No dice. I was really wondering if the smoke instantly meant GG

Well here's the thing. I've taken out the motherboard completely, and after having no luck with the one-component at a time analysis, I decided to just visually check the smoked capacitor, and there is absolutely NO burn marks, residue, you can barely tell it's been used at all.

Is this common?

Well here's the thing. I've taken out the motherboard completely, and after having no luck with the one-component at a time analysis, I decided to just visually check the smoked capacitor, and there is absolutely NO burn marks, residue, you can barely tell it's been used at all.

Is this common?

its quite common for eletronics to fail and not show any damage.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Get an rma and send the board back. "Smoked on first use" is plenty of reason. What was the current draw of the fans plugged into the headers? I don't think this matters but it's speculation that it was overloaded.

Even if it posted after that, I wouldn't trust it...one short somewhere could take out other components in your system. Motherboards aren't supposed to smoke. RMA that sucker, don't risk damaging anything else.

Thanks guys, I'll put in for an RMA on Monday. Was pretty sure that was what I was going to have to do, but wanted to make sure anyways.

Back