Desktop Wireless Capability

OrangeWolf

Gawd
I feel rather stupid asking this, but... what part do I need to purchase to get a Desktop on wireless internet?

I've got two desktops to set up in a house with AT&T wireless internet (via DSL). One of them will be hooked to the ethernet cable going into the wall, but I want the other one on WiFi (at least some of the time).

I looked into what part to buy for PCI or whatever, and they all seem to stick out the back of the computer and have antennas. That doesn't make sense to me since laptops all seem to manage WiFi just fine without bits sticking out these days.

So what's a good fully internal one? Or do laptops all have clever ways to integrate the antenna (I think they do)? Would I be better off getting a MoBo that can do wireless stuff? I think those exist.

Hm, guess I should also try to figure out how to get Ethernet cables to more than one room of the house. But really I want the Desktop WiFi more.

The chassis on a laptop is typically plastic or magnesium, so it has minimal interference with the WiFi signal. A desktop chassis is usually metal, so an internal antenna is going to have a very tough time getting a good connection.

I feel rather stupid asking this, but... what part do I need to purchase to get a Desktop on wireless internet?
Well does that computer have PCI-E slots?
I looked into what part to buy for PCI or whatever, and they all seem to stick out the back of the computer and have antennas. That doesn't make sense to me since laptops all seem to manage WiFi just fine without bits sticking out these days.
Or do laptops all have clever ways to integrate the antenna (I think they do)?
Most laptops have two antennas that are placed right along the sides of the LCD/laptop screen (usually one antenna on each side). As such, they also tend to be larger than many desktop antennas since laptop lids tends to be relatively tall. That's the "trick."
So what's a good fully internal one? Would I be better off getting a MoBo that can do wireless stuff? I think those exist.
There are mobos with wifi. However I wouldn't recommend getting a new mobo just for its wifi capability when it's more cost-effective to get a 3rd party wifi adapter that'll probably end up being faster and/or more reliable and/or can pick up wifi signals better.
Hm, guess I should also try to figure out how to get Ethernet cables to more than one room of the house. But really I want the Desktop WiFi more.
At my friend's home, there was a lot of interference between his room and the wireless router. So I installed powerline network adapters for him which worked beautifully for him. This is the adapter I got IIRC:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AOGZ80C/?tag=extension-kb-20

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well does that computer have PCI-E slots?
I'll be building this computer from scratch, so it'll have whatever it needs to have.

There are mobos with wifi. However I wouldn't recommend getting a new mobo just for its wifi capability when it's more cost-effective to get a 3rd party wifi adapter that'll probably end up being faster and/or more reliable and/or can pick up wifi signals better.
Hmm, well, the "look" of the computer is important (it's a house warming gift) and stuff sticking out of it won't be liked very well.

I do have an extra router... is there a way to have... okay, I have the AT&T router hooked to the current computer. Could I hook up the other router to the new computer and have the router pick up the signal from the AT&T router and channel it somehow? I dunno if that's a thing.

Thanks for the link!
Sorry if I sound stupid again, but I want to make sure I understand how those work. I put one in the room with the strongest signal, and the other one in the room where the new computer (without internet yet) is located, then I can run an ethernet cable from the thing you linked to the computer?

Awesome if so.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll be building this computer from scratch, so it'll have whatever it needs to have.
If you have to go wireless, then check out one of these many top selling PCI-E wireless adapters on Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

I recommend PCI-E adapters over USB mainly due to the external antennas that PCI-E adapters tend to have and their better reception (from past experiences with USB adapters).
Hmm, well, the "look" of the computer is important (it's a house warming gift) and stuff sticking out of it won't be liked very well.
So form before function? Because there are ways to get that clean look but the wireless performance will be relatively shitty.

I do have an extra router... is there a way to have... okay, I have the AT&T router hooked to the current computer. Could I hook up the other router to the new computer and have the router pick up the signal from the AT&T router and channel it somehow? I dunno if that's a thing..
AFAIK, not a lot of budget routers have that capability by default. You usually have to install DD-WRT or Tomato onto that router (assuming that it's even compatible in the first place with those fireware types) and then enable that feature. Or it's a feature with more higher-end routers IIRC.

Thanks for the link!
Sorry if I sound stupid again, but I want to make sure I understand how those work. I put one in the room with the strongest signal, and the other one in the room where the new computer (without internet yet) is located, then I can run an ethernet cable from the thing you linked to the computer?

Awesome if so.
First, you hook up one of those adapters into the closest available power socket to the router. Then you connect that adapter to the router with an ethernet cable. Then you plug in the second adapter into closest available power socket to the target PC. Then you hook up that second adapter to the target PC with an ethernet cable. Run the setup and now you'll have an internet connection that'll end up be more reliable and stable than a wireless stable in most situations. The "internet signals" so to speak are being transported directly across the powerlines in your home, not over the air like a wireless setup.

Back