Desktop shuts down randomly (hardware problem)

Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
25
I am in need of assistance. Not sure what step I should take next.

Three year oldish computer, built it for a family member, very basic desktop (onboard video, nothing tricky).

It shuts down in a random amount of time (usually before the day is over). No blue screens, warnings, just like someone took the power cord out.

First thought: Overheating
-BIOS reports CPU temps under 30 C, even right after random shut down
-heatsink is barely warm to the touch
-shut off times are too random (can go for a day right after shutting down)

Should I reseat the CPU anyways? Didn't bother to go through the hassle yet.

Second thought: OS problem
-I have NOT seen it happen anywhere but while inside of the OS (not in the BIOS, not during memtest or hard drive)
-wiped hard drive, reinstalled OS, still have problem, so no go

Third thought: Power supply
-The computer had a power supply problem a couple years ago where it wouldn't start up, replaced it and worked fine
-Swapped the power supply, still have problem, so no go

Fourth thought: ??? Cabling?
-all of the cables seem secure
-ran memtest and hdd stress test, no problems
-unplugged wireless lan pci card and cd drive, still have problem

Where do I go from here? Any ideas? I don't want to buy anything until I am sure it's the problem.

Thanks guys.
 
Specs of the PC would help. Also start swapping the motherboard if you can.
 
Specs of the PC would help. Also start swapping the motherboard if you can.

That's a lot of work for not-necessarily the problem. For random power downs...

I'd recommend the power supply first. Random shutdowns can be a flaky power supply. Easy swap from anther machine to test.

Reseat of other hardware second. Not just the CPU /heatsink. Might as well reseat RAM and other stuff while you're at it.

Consider a motherboard maybe third.

I'd consider the power supply the most likely, by far.
 
That's a lot of work for not-necessarily the problem. For random power downs...

I'd recommend the power supply first. Random shutdowns can be a flaky power supply. Easy swap from anther machine to test.

Well the OP already swapped PSUs as stated in his OP but the issues still occurs.
 
Well the OP already swapped PSUs as stated in his OP but the issues still occurs.

Oops. Missed that, sorry.

Minimize the system if you can. Run on the minimum to help with your troubleshooting - one mem chip, CPU, one HDD. Reseat all while you're at it. See if the problem continues.
 
I think it is motherboard problem. I had a similar problem with my previous computer. I underclocked the machine (Ram and CPU). Everything became stable.
 
Well I reseated the heatsink, still nothing.

I've pretty much already run with the minimum. Unplugged everything but HDD, tried one mem stick then tried other, no go.

So it looks like I'm replacing the motherboard. I would swap it but I don't have a spare one lying around, taking two out would be kind of a hassle.

Any last thoughts before I buy a new one?
 
Back
Top